Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11
Re: Keith On Taylor Swift
Posted by: BFR ()
Date: November 3, 2022 05:08

This thread is full of a lot of misguided assumptions and rehashed comments from people that have not listened to Taylor’s discography for themselves. She’s light years ahead of just country. Her songwriting is exemplary, she writes, performs and plays her own music and directs and produces her own videos. Her tours have been sold out over the globe for years. You don’t have to like her, but you’re crazy if you don’t respect how she’s dominated the industry and has been even more successful since taking control of her catalog. Who cares what Keith thinks? Mick likes Taylor winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2022 05:13

StonedRambler
The whole discussion here is meaningless. As much as I love Keith he is an old fart when it comes to music who only listens to the stuff that was present when he was young.

Thank you for distilling it down. And if I can distill it even further, Keith has become Dean Martin. How ironic is that?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 3, 2022 05:42

Hound Dog
She uses like 15 songwriters for every album she does any people rave how she is this amazing song writer. She is the media's darling, don't say a bad word about her.

You don't even know. "Like" gives it away. The word of fakeism.

She's not Kanye.

Her new record has some other writers beyond two but it's only 5 of 23 songs. Similar to previous albums.

Your math is a bit off. Just a hugely bit. Your math is extremely orange. Fake.

You make it sound like having other songwriters involved with writing a song is an issue. That it makes an artist "lesser".

Ridiculous.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 3, 2022 09:07

BFR
This thread is full of a lot of misguided assumptions and rehashed comments from people that have not listened to Taylor’s discography for themselves. She’s light years ahead of just country. Her songwriting is exemplary, she writes, performs and plays her own music and directs and produces her own videos. Her tours have been sold out over the globe for years. You don’t have to like her, but you’re crazy if you don’t respect how she’s dominated the industry and has been even more successful since taking control of her catalog. Who cares what Keith thinks? Mick likes Taylor winking smiley

Fully agree. And not just Taylor, also other younger artists who are disliked here because people are so stuck in their opinions and taste that they cannot like anything from today's pop music.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 3, 2022 11:02

StonedRambler
BFR

Fully agree. And not just Taylor, also other younger artists who are disliked here because people are so stuck in their opinions and taste that they cannot like anything from today's pop music.

Through my daughter I hear lots of new music, and there really is some great music made these days. The Billie Eillish concert in London was the best thing I have seen in 20 years (except for Stones in Berlin of course).

There was shitty music in the 1960's and 1970's as well -look at numbers 5 to 50 when the Stones ranked no. 1 with Satisfaction, Paint it Black or JJF.

Mathijs

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 3, 2022 11:13

StonedRambler
BFR

I quite agree. For me, it's just simply a case of no-longer being interested in exploring the current scene. I don't listen to the radio, or watch much television, so I'd say that I have the very little exposure to what the actual present popular music scene is. I think I mentioned earlier that I was reasonably up-to-date until around a decade a go.

I'm sure there's lots of great music being written and recorded. It'd be ignorant to think otherwise.

Date: November 3, 2022 11:47

Big Al
StonedRambler
BFR

I quite agree. For me, it's just simply a case of no-longer being interested in exploring the current scene. I don't listen to the radio, or watch much television, so I'd say that I have the very little exposure to what the actual present popular music scene is. I think I mentioned earlier that I was reasonably up-to-date until around a decade a go.

I'm sure there's lots of great music being written and recorded. It'd be ignorant to think otherwise.

Get yourself to explore some of the current artists, Al. You do yourself a huge favour. It was life changing to me when I started doing that a few years ago.

Date: November 3, 2022 11:52

Mathijs
StonedRambler
BFR

Through my daughter I hear lots of new music, and there really is some great music made these days. The Billie Eillish concert in London was the best thing I have seen in 20 years (except for Stones in Berlin of course).

There was shitty music in the 1960's and 1970's as well -look at numbers 5 to 50 when the Stones ranked no. 1 with Satisfaction, Paint it Black or JJF.

Mathijs

Also need to see her when the next opportunity comes up. Some great stuff she does.
Totally believe you it was so good. Every time I go and see a concert from a current artist I see all the excitement and energy that a Stones audience does not have anymore these days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-03 11:52 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 3, 2022 13:56

Rockman
be more exciting to be marooned on a
desert island with an endless supply of mash potato ....

THAT’S not fair on mashed potato.

Rod

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 3, 2022 15:04

I'll give her a listening to, one of these days, perhaps.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 3, 2022 19:57

THAT’S not fair on mashed potato.

YEAH! ... try yelling out to passing
ships when ya got a gob full of mash potato ... HHHaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 3, 2022 21:12

Big Al
24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS
Keith was spot on about rap. This, not so much. Maybe he means, like he did with rap, that it's not his kind of music.

Then he should use his words to properly describe that sentiment.

And BTW, he was also wrong about rap. Not my cup of tea but hip hop has dominated the charts for ages.

In fact, it may even be close to rivalling rock music's domination of the charts.

Keith never said rap wasn't popular. He basically said rap was crap, which it is, no matter how many people buy it. And yes, hip hop is different.

Well, rap is the ‘vocal-style’; hip-hop is the genre. Hip-hop is, also, a lifestyle and culture of sorts. I guess rap can be incorporated into anything. Heck, even Mick’s had a bash: Anybody Seen My Bsby?

A well meaning experiment that kind of flopped. The bass worked well on the record, but couldn't be reproduced live. (Yes, I know it was two different players).

Date: November 3, 2022 22:19

Lets pray treacle dont shave his legs
get a cheap sex change and turn into a Swiftie ..... HHHHAAAAaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: November 3, 2022 22:32

Rockman

The main reason (but not the only reason) why I WOULDN'T ever do that, is that I wouldn't want to turn you on Rockie!

Date: November 3, 2022 22:34

Thank god treacle ...
Cause i'm easy ta crank ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: November 3, 2022 22:52

GasLight, I watched a doc on her a few years back and she admitted she has several song writers always presenting songs to her. That is a little different than a collaboration.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: November 3, 2022 22:58

16 versions of the album, man talk about milking your fans.

Date: November 3, 2022 23:53

Rockman
Thank god treacle ...
Cause i'm easy ta crank ........

That's what she said!

Date: November 4, 2022 02:13

Thats what I told poor old LD ..... you lost so much

ROCKMAN

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 4, 2022 03:21

Rockman

15 freakin copies! Holy Sh!!!!

Date: November 4, 2022 05:58

J-J-Flash
GasLight, I watched a doc on her a few years back and she admitted she has several song writers always presenting songs to her. That is a little different than a collaboration.

Songwriters presenting songs to her does not mean she's recording songs written by them. Look at her songwriting credits. She has a hand is practically every one of them, generally with another songwriter.

For someone to say she has "like 15" songwriters is as inaccurate as saying Kanye West is talented.

Date: November 4, 2022 06:29

Kanye who ??????

ROCKMAN

Date: November 4, 2022 06:54

GasLightStreet
J-J-Flash

Songwriters presenting songs to her does not mean she's recording songs written by them. Look at her songwriting credits. She has a hand is practically every one of them, generally with another songwriter.

For someone to say she has "like 15" songwriters is as inaccurate as saying Kanye West is talented.

And why in the F**K do we care if she had collaborated with 15 writers? She seems to be doing something right. She has a formula for success that any other artist right now would drool over.

What the hell is this? Jealousy? I don't even like her music per se, but why dog her for being successful? It's pathetic, petty and ridiculous.

Date: November 4, 2022 07:20

15's alright but if it was more
than that people would have the right ta question it all ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 4, 2022 07:28

Rockman
15's alright but if it was more
than that people would have the right ta question it all ...

Elvis had a fair bit more than that probably after all was said and done.

I love all the songs Elvis wrote, what a great artist.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 4, 2022 12:11

If you watch her Netflix doc 'Miss Americana' you'll notice her songwriting input as a co-songwriter. A lot of the basic ideas and hooks are hers.

She once wrote an entire album on her own (Speak Now) as a response to those critics. That was the first album I heard from her and instantly became a fan.

She's great, talented and deserves all the success.

Why is the songwriting subject not relevant for people like Beyoncé (104 (!) songwriters on her latest album) or Billie Eilish (mostly only lyrics) but it is for Taylor Swift... who actually writes her own stuff.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 4, 2022 14:03

This has rather dragged on hasn't it !

Nothing wrong with discussing the merits of Taylor Swift ... she's great at what she does.

But we all know that Keith, God bless 'im, can be a grumpy old gobshite at times.
...much like many of we around here grinning smiley

Date: November 6, 2022 04:14

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
J-J-Flash

And why in the F**K do we care if she had collaborated with 15 writers? She seems to be doing something right. She has a formula for success that any other artist right now would drool over.

What the hell is this? Jealousy? I don't even like her music per se, but why dog her for being successful? It's pathetic, petty and ridiculous.

Well, for one thing, when some exaggerate things, "like 15 songwriters", it opens up room for simple facts, nothing more. It doesn't matter to me how many people she writes with but when people just arbitrarily make shit up... it reminds me of something that started in October of 1996.

Her success is incredible and fantastic.

Date: November 7, 2022 05:49

For as much as Keith can be seen as a stick and mud, sometimes he highlights something... and The Teskey Brothers were a great find.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 7, 2022 07:10

My gf is a huge Taylor Swift fan. Majority of her music isn't for me, but there is some great stuff on Folklore and Evermore. She is pretty prolific.

She is constantly evolving and changing her sound, the mark of a great artist imo. Something the Stones themselves achieved over the years!

She comes across as such a positive force too, love her political and social stances also. I love seeing the passion my gf has for her music and how animated she gets talking about it, reminds me of myself when I talk about the Stones and other bands/artists I love.

So even though I'm not a big fan of her music, I'm a big fan of her creativity and success. Incredible as Gaslightstreet has said above.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home