Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: OT: Taylor Swift
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2023 07:53

24FPS
Stadiums, at least in the U.S. are getting bigger and bigger. The Stones, at their live peak (money wise) in the late 80s, early 90s, could sell them out for week long stretches. Yes, they will be surpassed money wise and attendance wise, but they set those standards to begin with. That they were able to do so for so long is most admirable. For Taylor Swift to be mentioned alongside them is rare company indeed.

The Rolling Stones set the record for indoor concerts attendance in 1978 with 81,000 people in the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans.

Then they got 83,000 in the same place in 1981.

I haven't looked it up but last I knew based on things I've read even somewhat recently, that attendance record is way in tact.

Oddly enough the Louisiana Superdome (it's called something else now) probably holds the record for the lowest attended concert in The Rolling Stones' North American stadium shows attendance history with their dismally attended show in 1994.

Re: OT: Taylor Swift stuff
Date: August 14, 2023 08:00

24FPS
I'm trying to be objective here. I could be dead wrong. I think she's smart now to get every dime she can. I don't think she has real staying power. Her voice isn't special. I can't see her crossing genres like Ronstadt. I don't think she's attracting a large straight male audience. So far I haven't heard anything she's recorded I would be interested in. I say that because I wasn't a big Madonna fan, but I can certainly pick out tracks that I like.

I know that Swift isn't singing for a white, male, senior citizen like myself. She has found an audience, obviously, and good for her. Maybe it's about girl/female empowerment, like the Spice Girls. Not deep artists but they found a niche. Of course Taylor Swift had found a large one.

You basically just described what's wrong with viewpoints about not classic artists in the 2020s. I'm sure she would welcome "a white, male, senior citizen like" yourself but that is probably zero concern for her.

Comparing her to Madonna is kind of silly because Madonna had MTV and radio, and has had a foot in the modern musicscape.

Taylor Swift is having success in a foreign way compared to Madonna.

And in ways you can't comprehend but you hold on to old ways to present status of.

It's not over, what you're on about, but it's evolved past that big time.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 14, 2023 09:46

Comparing Taylor Swift to The Rolling Stones is like comparing apples to oranges.

They are decades apart in history. Solo artist vs a band. Female vs male. Internet ages vs no internet. The 60's and 70's vs the 2010's and 2020's. She was born 1989, by then The Stones had been a live act for nearly 30 years already.

Taylor Swift is 33. Mick is 80, soon also Keith is 80.

Taylor Swift sold out as many shows at the LA SoFi stadium this year, The Stones did only one show per city basically in 2021, they do not perform 100 shows per tour anymore.

I am happy for The Taylor Swift fans, they may enjoy their music, just like us, enjoying our music. There is no need to be jealous of her success.

Bjornulf

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 14, 2023 16:04

To say Taylor Swift started off as a country artist is a joke, she was NEVER country.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 14, 2023 17:32

J-J-Flash
To say Taylor Swift started off as a country artist is a joke, she was NEVER country.

Sorry, you're wrong. It might not be what YOU call country, but that's irrelevant.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 14, 2023 18:16

She most certainly WAS country, and as a 13yo girl was even then lighting up the charts! I remember well the summer her Tim McGraw song was released and how fresh it sounded. Still one of my favorites of hers.

I have a lot to type out on this topic, but haven't had a chance to chime in really. I wouldn't consider myself a Swiftie, but I'm a peripheral fan. Would have gone to see her with my daughter if I could have scored tix, and no doubt I would have loved it. I can name more than 10 of her songs, and I own Evermore, which I consider to be one of the greatest albums ever, by anyone, and an unauthorized 2CD greatest hits package that I bought off of Ebay some years back.

I'll add more later when I can. I do consider myself to have one of the most diverse and eclectic musical tastes of anyone I know....my music collection is vast on the spectrum. Tons of guilty pleasures, but I'm A-OK with that!! LOL

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 14, 2023 18:53

Please do add more, VoodooLounge13.

Most of us here, it seems, are 98% clueless about Taylor Swift, except for the brief crossovers with the Stones, and encounters with her publicity over the years.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: VenusLoon ()
Date: August 14, 2023 18:56

J-J-Flash
A co-worker of mine is a massive Swifty and she admits that Taylor Swift sings to a backing track of herself from her record. She claims she has to do this because her stage routine is so extensive she has to catch her breath. My friend also admits that all you hear at her shows is the crowd singing the tunes. Have fun with that for what she charges for tickets.

£180 top price for the UK tickets about half of what the Stones charge and her set is an hour longer. Going with my daughter to Cardiff next year, will be an experience after years of only seeing the Stones live.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 14, 2023 20:14

Yes. My tickets are €199 I think. That is for Front Standing tickets as they call it. Can’t get any closer.

That price will get you obstructed view at a Stones gig (more or less).

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: August 14, 2023 20:47

Discussing Swift on a Stones board…what a sad place the world has become.

Date: August 14, 2023 20:53

bobo

A bit dramatic, I'd say.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 14, 2023 21:17

GasLightStreet
The Rolling Stones set the record for indoor concerts attendance in 1978 with 81,000 people in the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans.

I haven't looked it up but last I knew based on things I've read even somewhat recently, that attendance record is way in tact.

George Strait drew almost 105,000 to his 2014 farewell show at AT&T Stadium in Arlington TX.

[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2023 21:29

GasLightStreet
24FPS
I'm trying to be objective here. I could be dead wrong. I think she's smart now to get every dime she can. I don't think she has real staying power. Her voice isn't special. I can't see her crossing genres like Ronstadt. I don't think she's attracting a large straight male audience. So far I haven't heard anything she's recorded I would be interested in. I say that because I wasn't a big Madonna fan, but I can certainly pick out tracks that I like.

I know that Swift isn't singing for a white, male, senior citizen like myself. She has found an audience, obviously, and good for her. Maybe it's about girl/female empowerment, like the Spice Girls. Not deep artists but they found a niche. Of course Taylor Swift had found a large one.

You basically just described what's wrong with viewpoints about not classic artists in the 2020s. I'm sure she would welcome "a white, male, senior citizen like" yourself but that is probably zero concern for her.

Comparing her to Madonna is kind of silly because Madonna had MTV and radio, and has had a foot in the modern musicscape.

And in ways you can't comprehend but you hold on to old ways to present status of.

Please. I understand perfectly. I'm not some doddering old man listening to my scratched copy of Neil Young's Harvest over and over. I understand the phenomena of Taylor Swift. I've seen them come and go, from Freddie and The Dreamers on. And yes, a pop star's life span is usually about 18 months. Which makes her special. Of course she's not in the class of the Stones, yet. Far from it. They had about 30 years as a meaningful recording act, and another 30 as an extremely successful live Greatest Hits act. It is doubtful Swift can come close to that kind of legacy.

A group like U2, probably the most successful 'new' group of the last 30 years seems to have faded in the public conscious. It will be a long time before the Taylor Swift verdict is in.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 14, 2023 22:14

GasLightStreet
24FPS
Stadiums, at least in the U.S. are getting bigger and bigger. The Stones, at their live peak (money wise) in the late 80s, early 90s, could sell them out for week long stretches. Yes, they will be surpassed money wise and attendance wise, but they set those standards to begin with. That they were able to do so for so long is most admirable. For Taylor Swift to be mentioned alongside them is rare company indeed.

Oddly enough the Louisiana Superdome (it's called something else now) probably holds the record for the lowest attended concert in The Rolling Stones' North American stadium shows attendance history with their dismally attended show in 1994.

Last Stones show there was July 15 2019 and drew 35023 fans.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: August 14, 2023 22:53

24FPS
GasLightStreet
24FPS

Please. I understand perfectly. I'm not some doddering old man listening to my scratched copy of Neil Young's Harvest over and over. I understand the phenomena of Taylor Swift. I've seen them come and go, from Freddie and The Dreamers on. And yes, a pop star's life span is usually about 18 months. Which makes her special. Of course she's not in the class of the Stones, yet. Far from it. They had about 30 years as a meaningful recording act, and another 30 as an extremely successful live Greatest Hits act. It is doubtful Swift can come close to that kind of legacy.

A group like U2, probably the most successful 'new' group of the last 30 years seems to have faded in the public conscious. It will be a long time before the Taylor Swift verdict is in.

17 years since her first multi million selling album and latest tour actually shifted the inflation figure up in sone countries - touch obtuse to doubt staying power etc

Date: August 15, 2023 00:34

OK, so here goes.........

As I said, I remember well when her first single, Tim McGraw came out. At the time X1 and I were busy raising our kids, and about the only "safe" radio stations to listen to at the time were country ones, and living in upstate NY, there was no shortage of these. But even in the very beginning Tim McGraw sounded nothing like the crap that was currently passing for country music - long gone were the great acts from the 90's that I'd loved. Replaced with a new kind of Rock-Country, if you will, which in turn morphed into what I call glam-country. Even here I still enjoyed some of the acts - Big & Rich, Little Big Town, Lady A, and I'd always liked Tim McGraw himself, though not as much as Garth and Alan Jackson. But as a SIXTEEN year old (sorry I know I said 13 earlier but I looked it up and she was 14 when she signed her record deal, 16 when her first album came out) that song just sounded soooooooooo much more mature than her years. I knew she was going to be something - bigger than Leann Rimes.

Here is the song that launched it all:
Tim McGraw

Wish I could figure out how to post YT vids like so many of you!

I think it was 2 albums later? when she started dabbling with Pop and sounding less and less like country, but by then most country didn't sound like country. By now, both Faith Hill and Shania Twain had crossed over to HUGE success. By this time, she had become country's sweetheart, with comparison's to Dolly Parton and whatnot. She was EVERYWHERE, and I quickly tired of the oversaturation, as I hadn't been much impressed with any of what she'd released since that debut single. I did feel sorry for her tho with that Kanye West moment where he crashed her acceptance speech - once a turd always a turd.

She's been pretty consistent in releasing a new album every couple of years, but for some reason, the break that led up to 1989 seemed much, much longer. By this point in my life, I was coaching a girls' Jr. High soccer team, and Taylor was in HEAVY rotation on EVERY bus trip we took to and from an away game, so I heard plenty of her songs. Some of them not bad at all - Love Story, White Horse. By that, I mean I didn't mind hearing them repeatedly.

Knowing that most of her songs were about past relationships, and seeing how short they all were (her relationships, not the songs), I figured she just didn't put out and guys got tired of the ck tease and just dumped her, at which point, she'd produce another hit single. I thought it callous and completely conceited on her point, as if she was using guys for inspiration for her own benefit. I'm probably way off on all of that, but that's how I viewed it.

With 1989, it was a whole new era for Taylor - her first completely pop album, and my God, Shake It Off, as annoying as it was/is, was incredibly catchy. Though I admit, I've never been a big fan of that song, the album has plenty of other fantastic songs - two of my absolute favorites actually, that unfortunately, I can't really listen to much these days as they're tied to X2 - Wildest Dreams and Style. But that album was the first time I ever considered buying a Taylor record, the Target version, which I think had 4? extra songs. I didn't. But I appreciated the transition as I felt that she fit much better in the pop space than the country space, and now she could really flourish, which she truly has.

I didn't like the lead single off of Reputation, Look What You Made Me Do, and so I didn't really follow her for awhile, even tho by now I was with X2, who ONLY listened to pop/mainstream music stations. Sometime early in 2017 I bought this unofficial 2CD Greatest Hits compilation off Ebay, and it has all of her big hits on it, and quite frankly, I forgot, or didn't know, just how many great songs she has. They're these catchy little pop ditties. Highly infectious the vast majority of them - kinda like a certain British band's back in the day....

It wasn't until everyone started raving about Folklore being this great mature album that I took notice again, and I gave it a listen on YT. I remember being blown away that Taylor was dropping F-Bombs - everyone's favorite little sweetheart had suddenly grownup and had a potty mouth!!! I didn't listen to Folklore until the day or week of Evermore's release, and I listened to Evermore the next day, and I was completely blown away by the songs on it. Now, the album most likely resonates so much with me because of where I was in my 2nd marriage, but in song after song I found emotions that fit the narrative of what I was struggling with and going thru. There's even a song on the album called Coney Island (X2 and I were married on the Wonder Wheel, and there is a brick laid somewhere that has our names and our anniversary date on it. I'll never visit the park again, so I've never seen the brick). But the sparsity of that album, and Folklore too if I'm being honest, are nothing like all the pop stuff she's known for. They are mature albums by a woman who's grown up, and expanded her sound further to now include collaborations with The National and Bon Iver, both of whom I now enjoy as a result. Evermore became my 2nd divorce album, and I listened to it incessantly going thru it all. Even now, sometimes when my mood isn't what I'd hoped it to be, I'll run thru the most poignant songs. For me, I think Evermore is leaps and bounds better than Folklore, and I've never understood all the love that the latter gets instead of the former. But then I've often not understood many of the critical 'IT' albums.

Regardless of what the inspiration for her songs is - though I think every teenage girl and now 20-something can relate to a relationship gone wrong song - the fact that she does write her own songs gives her a leg up on most of today's artists, and for that reason alone, I have an immense respect for her. But as evidenced by me - as I'm sure I'm not the only one - plenty of guys can also relate to breakups gone wrong. I think it's completely fine to be discussing Taylor on a Stones board, too. As someone else pointed out, the Stones once rewrote the playbook for stadium tours. Taylor is now rewriting the entire music business book, both with how much her albums sell, taking back creative control of her music, and with this ginormous stadium tour. She is here to stay, do not think otherwise. I hope she stays for awhile in this "independent" phase, because she's really produced some of the best music that she's ever done at this point. And while I was a bit letdown with Midnights compared to Evermore, there were at least half a dozen songs on it that I think are really good.

The lead single, I'd mentioned in another post somewhere on here - Anti-Hero - has some just ridiculous lyrics:
Anti-Hero

I still think there's something about her - a deep arrogance? An aura? Something about how she carries herself rubs me wrong, but I know she does a LOT for her fans, and hell if given the chance, I'd like to thank her personally for releasing Evermore and giving me some hope that life will be OK. But her popularity dwarfs everything before her - I think even Beatlemania - and I can't wait to see how else she evolves, what else she has up her sleeve, and what the music industry does to keep up and adjust to it all. Her talent is real, no doubt about that.

And I will add that my music collection includes all kinds of pop music - Madonna, Shakira, Xtina, Selena Gomez, The Weeknd, Dua Lipa, Cindy Lauper, Cher, Gloria Estefan, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and yes, definitely Beyonce - though I'd stopped at 4. The whole Lemonade era I didn't understand. Picked up her new album, and it's just atrocious. Very disappointing. Would still love to see her live, but music wise I won't be buying anymore releases I don't think. This is in addition to all the big heavyweights we discuss with any regularity around here - our boys, that other British band, Zep, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce, The Eagles, Petty, Billy Joel. The 80's hair bands, classical stalwarts (Bach, Beethoven, etc), as well as plenty of soundtracks, limited rap (Beasties, Eminem, 50 Cent, Snoop), Charlie-related Jazz, Grunge, Punk, Metal, Alternative, and Independent musicians. It's all over the place. And I'm a heterosexual 47-yo white male LOL

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-16 21:43 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 15, 2023 01:28

"And I'm a heterosexual white male LOL"

---should have mentioned her legs.

Date: August 15, 2023 01:42

One cool thing is a couple weeks ago she gave $55 million US to her road crew! Each of the semi drivers got $100k each. Very generous!

Date: August 15, 2023 02:25

MKjan
"And I'm a heterosexual white male LOL"

---should have mentioned her legs.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too scrawny for me. And despite her immense talent, I just don't find her to be pretty at all. Personal preferences of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-15 17:32 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: August 15, 2023 02:29

DGA35
One cool thing is a couple weeks ago she gave $55 million US to her road crew! Each of the semi drivers got $100k each. Very generous!

Yes, I'd read that. And again, just setting the bar and rewriting it all. It's amazing!

Date: August 15, 2023 02:30

DGA35

Apparently, that $100k helped many of her truck drivers buy their first houses. Classy move by Swift.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: August 15, 2023 04:04

WTF??? We have a Taylor Swift thread now???

Date: August 15, 2023 05:32

daniel t
WTF??? We have a Taylor Swift thread now???

Since November 2022. Better she had her own thread than her derailing other threads, right?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 15, 2023 06:36

24FPS
GasLightStreet
24FPS

Please. I understand perfectly. I'm not some doddering old man listening to my scratched copy of Neil Young's Harvest over and over.

Guilty! Not doddering just yet however.

Date: August 15, 2023 09:00

bobo

You have 100% personal choice power to not click on this thread.

But, gee golly, here you are.

You're your own sadness.

Date: August 15, 2023 09:04

DGA35
GasLightStreet
24FPS

I was there. I was stunned at how much of the Supe wasn't used. The 2017 U2 show was basically in the same space. VOODOO LOUNGE attendance was pathetic.

Date: August 15, 2023 09:13

GasLightStreet
DGA35
GasLightStreet
24FPS

I was there. I was stunned at how much of the Supe wasn't used. The 2017 U2 show was basically in the same space. VOODOO LOUNGE attendance was pathetic.

Nov 13 1989 59339
Oct 10 1994 32687 with Bryan Adams opening

Date: August 15, 2023 19:18

Another thing to think about with Taylor Swift........all those teeny boppers that adored her when she was younger and rising, they're older now too, and as Taylor's music has evolved so have they, and grown is really what I meant. But that rapid devotion hasn't let up at all. They seek out clues in every little thing - much like the rabid fans of Twenty-One Pilots look for clues in everything. I don't have the time to devote to such things, and I'm not sure if even in my heyday I would have bothered with such things. But if each of us thinks about the warmest memories of what transfixes us to the World's Greatest RNR Band, or first pulled us in, and that unquestionable devotion, and then multiply that by about 1,000,000, ya might start to come close to the rabid devotion/obsession of the Swiftys.

She was basically there for the fanbase as they were growing up, and helped shape their identities, and they will continue to follow her and gobble up whatever she puts out, by the basketful. And soon, if not already, they'll start having their own kids, and it will pass down to the next generation, and on and on we go.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 16, 2023 18:38

Nice read, VoodooLounge13, about you and Swift in your life. I never listened to her but her folkie albums and reviews for them, if we wanna use that term, brought her to my ears. Must admit, she's done some really great stuff. Anti-Hero is cool. It made me think of the New Wave sounds of the late 1970s/early 1980s, Kate Bush, ALison Moyet and others. I recommend giving a listen to her NPR Tiny Desk Concert video on utoob. It's an enjoyable watch.

Date: August 17, 2023 06:24

Watched that tiny desk episode - thanks for telling me about it, dmay. I’ve only caught that a few times but it was entertaining. Also watched Dua Lipa’s and the Robinson Brothers as well. Good stuff!!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2260
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home