Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: New Mick Song This Friday
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 29, 2022 23:27

maumau
Doxa
maumau

About MT and BW not being part of the 60 tour game, who was expecting that?

Much more downing is the usual Mick's approach to the setlists, made clear once again: you will get a war horses run with no more than one "surprise"

Why is the latter "much more downing"? Who was expecting any different than that? winking smiley

- Doxa

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ahahah you're right
shame on me that I know how much fun can still be SMU ahahah

thumbs up grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: March 29, 2022 23:46

Awesome news!!! I really look forward to hearing it, and I hope there's a lot more on the way!

Release the Jagger Forty!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 30, 2022 13:19

Unexpected to say the least. We were all hoping for news about the new Stones album but Jagger probably had other priorities...

I absolutely love Wandering Spirit. But everything that he released after that.. Not so much. So no high expectations here...

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: March 30, 2022 13:45

Hairball
"Jagger says former Stones bassist Bill Wyman and guitarist Mick Taylor would not be making appearances again, as they did with the band’s 50th".

That's disappointing.

Well, they did it ten years ago and it was great to watch and hear Mick Taylor playing Midnight Rambler with them. But it was a thing, that can be done once and then its burned. Otherwise it turns from a "Wow, thats great!" thing into "Yes, nice, thats nostalgia". They always made it to stay in the top league and one reason is, that they always found a way to bring some new atmosphere into their shows. It's the edge of nostalgia, which is always close and they avoid more or less succesfull.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 13:46 by micha063.

Date: March 30, 2022 15:02

Two days to go. It looks like we have an unique-sounding Jagger or Stones-related piece popping up. I tried to collect all the hints from the most fruitful sources here.

Mick: "It's got a slight Kurt Weill vibe to it, but it's still kind of bluesy without being a blues. It's not my usual kind of thing; it kind of is and isn't" (ROLLING STONE)

Pemberton: 'a very unique sound world, all based on low-fi recording techniques and slightly wonky sounds' (VARIETY)

Mick: "It's quite irreverant. It's also slightly eerie, so it combines those two things. You don't want to make it too serious" (VARIETY)

'The dusky, mysterious theme song' (ROLLING STONE)

'Over a gently lilting, shuffling guitar and percussion line, Jagger sings about misfits, losers, and boozers who “made one mistake” and “got burned at the stake” before it simmers down into something more mysterious. “It’s a strange, strange game,” he sings. “Such a shame, shame, shame.” Echoes of piano call out here and there as he whispers and howls the lyrics out of the shadows in between.' (ROLLING STONE)

'Mick sang 'it's a strange game' with his soft mysterious voice.' (VARIETY)

'Jagger's signature harmonica occasionally features in Pemberton's undescore' (VARIETY)

'The sqaulid mood of the lo-fi production is enchanged by Jagger's camp, taunting delivery: swaggering one minute, whispery the next.' (THE GUARDIAN)

Mick: "Daniel liked it wordy. But I said, 'You can't just have me saying loads and loads of words', so I put in a few 'ooh-ooh's and things to give it that slightly eerie athmosphere." (THE GUARDIAN)

'Under Jagger's vocal-command, "Strange Game" is a foreboding introduction built on sticky guitar strikes and a prowling pace'. (USA TODAY)

'The song has a very ominous swagger between the dark musicality and (Mick's) sneering delivery'. (USA TODAY)

Mick: 'Danny's approach, this low key way, was the way to go'. (USA TODAY)

'Poignant, moodily strutting' (NME)

'Underpinned by Jagger's powerful and eery vocals'(NME)

Looking forward hearing it (and comparing it to the idea I have now constructed in my mind from the hints above...)!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 15:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: March 30, 2022 15:36

I'm excited. Thanks for posting all the hints!

Date: March 30, 2022 15:40

As noted in many of those articles this new piece "Strange Game" is Mick's first tv series theme song (by the way, Mick's favourite theme song ever happens to be the one of James Bond's, as this importnat piece of information is now revealed).). But as far making soundtracks go, Mick has quite a history already. The following ones come to mind:

"Invocation of My Demon Brother" (LUCIFER RISING, 1969)
"Memo From Turner" (PERFORMANCE, 1970)
"The Wild Colonial Boy" (NED KELLY, 1970)
"Ruthless People" (RUTHLESS PEOPLE, 1986)
"Streets of Berlin" (BENT, 1997)
The soundtrack of ALFIE (2004)

Starts to be worth of material for a deluxe box treatment. Are there any missing (I didn't count SHE'S THE BOSS/RUNNING OUT OF LUCK)?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 15:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 30, 2022 16:12

Doxa
As noted in many of those articles this new piece "Strange Game" is Mick's first tv series theme song (by the way, Mick's favourite theme song ever happens to be the one of James Bond's, as this importnat piece of information is now revealed).). But as far making soundtracks go, Mick has quite a history already. The following ones come to mind:

Starts to be worth of material for a deluxe box treatment. Are there any missing (I didn't count SHE'S THE BOSS/RUNNING OUT OF LUCK)?

- Doxa

are all of these soundtracks available? Some of these are news to me!!

Date: March 30, 2022 16:34

VoodooLounge13
Doxa

- Doxa

As far as I know outside the film context "Invocation of My Demon Brother" (that actually derives from a short-film of the same name, and which was Kenneth Anger's first version or incarnation or whatever of LUCIFER RISING) and "Streets Of Berlin" are not released officially. The rest are. Of course, all of them could be easily find from YouTube.

"Invocation of My Demon Brother" is basically nothing but Mick fooling around 11 minutes with his Moog synthesizer. That masterpiece and Jimmy Page's final soundtrack for LUCIFER RISING could be found at least from a bootleg called ANGER RISING.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 16:39 by Doxa.

Re: New Mick Song: "Strange Game"
Date: March 30, 2022 16:56

slewan
Irix
Mick Jagger to release new solo track ‘Strange Game’ - [www.NME.com] , [www.uDiscoverMusic.com] .

to release a solo track just before a Stones tour is indeed a strange game

Obviously, Mick and Keith have agreed to release their solo stuff before SIXTY kicks in smiling smiley

Date: March 30, 2022 16:57

Doxa

- Doxa

I help myself. I guess "Memory Motel" should be added to the list:

For an episode of the 1990 TV music show Beyond The Groove by Jagger collaborator David A. Stewart, Jagger recorded a version of "Memory Motel" without Richards (Wikipedia)

- Doxa

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: March 30, 2022 17:27

What Bond song does Mick like? Anyone know?

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: March 30, 2022 18:10

The Stones should have done a Bond song. Out Of Control would have worked as a Bond theme.

Date: March 30, 2022 18:16

jahisnotdead
What Bond song does Mick like? Anyone know?

No idea, but he just said that the actual James Bond theme song (starting each episode/movie) is his favourite theme song in general (when asked about it).

Not a bad choice. I guess belonging to the iconic class of, say, Big Panther, Batman, Peter Gunn (although I know the latter only due to Blues Brothers...)

- Doxa

Date: March 30, 2022 18:32

TrulyMicks1

My pleasure. I try to keep this thread something else than just another complaint/anti-Jagger thread... I personally find also it exciting that one of my biggest musical heroes of all-time is still able to offer some non-expected surprises. I guess that is what being an artist is all about, in the end.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 18:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 30, 2022 18:38

Doxa
TrulyMicks1

Thank you. I try to keep this thread something else than just another complaint/anti-Jagger thread... I personally find also it exciting that one of my biggest musical heroes of all-time is still able to offer some non-expected surprises. I guess that is what being an artist is all about, in the end.

- Doxa

It's almost astonishing how you can be a Stones fan, enough to the point of posting on fan board and be anti-jagger.

Defies comprehension to me.

It's as if they channel Keith's periodically demonstrated jealousy of MJ.
I don't love all of Mick's solo stuff, (most of it I do), but I'll wait until I at least hear it.

Re: New Mick Song: "Strange Game"
Date: March 30, 2022 19:56

DandelionPowderman
slewan
Irix
Mick Jagger to release new solo track ‘Strange Game’ - [www.NME.com] , [www.uDiscoverMusic.com] .

to release a solo track just before a Stones tour is indeed a strange game

Obviously, Mick and Keith have agreed to release their solo stuff before SIXTY kicks in smiling smiley

Yeah. I guess the timing for both of these small side projects was perfect. Keith had his re-issue out with promotion plus the solo gig. In Mick's case, the tv series will get its premiere this week, which most likely needed to suit to his/their plans (the Stones tour) when he agreed to the project in last December or whenever it took place. Plus both of the dudes have given interviews for these solo projects that also serve to promote their main thing, the upcoming Stones tour.

Interesting that the sessions for the Stones album took place also within this time frame. Some of the promo interviews for MAIN OFFENDER were given before the Jamaica sessions, and seemingly Keith did his Wino gig just after the sessions. Mick most likely did the bulk of "Strange Game" before heading to Jamaica (as he mentioned the actual writing happened pretty quickly).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 20:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 30, 2022 20:42

It's amazing how people can say "Mick's not keen on nostalgia" and keep a straight face. Yeah. He reportedly said that.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: March 30, 2022 21:00

KRiffhard
I hope something better than Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost

Hilarious that nobody can remember that last one he put out since these two. Yeah it was awful…

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 30, 2022 21:22

Bastion
KRiffhard

Hilarious that nobody can remember that last one he put out since these two. Yeah it was awful…

I really love Eazy Sleazy with Dave Grohl. It’s a shame is was only dropped on YouTube and it isn’t available on iTunes, Spotify or other streaming services

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 30, 2022 21:34

Mabru
Bastion
KRiffhard

I really love Eazy Sleazy with Dave Grohl. It’s a shame is was only dropped on YouTube and it isn’t available on iTunes, Spotify or other streaming services

Yes, I think it was very good and hope it will appear on an updated The Very Best of MJ. I really like Gotta Get a Grip too (and don't understand why Keith rejected it).

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 30, 2022 23:13

Teaser on twitter [twitter.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2022 23:26

Bring it on ...............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 30, 2022 23:45

Hairball
"Jagger says former Stones bassist Bill Wyman and guitarist Mick Taylor would not be making appearances again, as they did with the band’s 50th".

That's disappointing.

Not remotely surprising. Neither of them particularly enjoyed the way they were (under)used

I wonder if Dick Taylor is busy this summer?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 31, 2022 00:05

Nikkei
It's amazing how people can say "Mick's not keen on nostalgia" and keep a straight face. Yeah. He reportedly said that.

Yes, the irony. Still I think that is his self-image. He's the one living on nostalgia still seeing himself as avantgarde. (He was in the sixties though...)

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: March 31, 2022 00:19

Mabru
Teaser on twitter [twitter.com]

13 seconds... interesting...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 31, 2022 01:11

To be released on April Fools Day...

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 31, 2022 05:14

VoodooLounge13
Doxa

- Doxa

soundtracks

and as a bonus more solo jagger obscurities b sides and one offs

guess we can add one more on fridaysmiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-31 15:41 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: March 31, 2022 10:43

Just found out that Mick's Live Aid-set (minus Lonely At The Top) was released in 2018 (whilst looking for the new single on Spotify). Never noticed this! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-31 10:43 by DandelionPowderman.

New Mick single "Strange Game"
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 31, 2022 13:28

Music legend Mick Jagger to join Simon Mayo for an exclusive chat 4th April

[planetradio.co.uk]

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2228
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home