Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: New Mick Jagger Song "Strange Game" out April 1
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 1, 2022 12:39

Nice one Mick, and like it better than the last couple of songs he released. thumbs up

The TV series Slow Horses doesn't seem to be on any of the main TV channels here in UK, and on Apple+ TV channel which I never heard of.

Probably get an audience of a few hundred tonight in UK.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 1, 2022 12:40

Isn't it on Netflix?

Date: April 1, 2022 13:01

Stoneage
Isn't it on Netflix?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 1, 2022 13:03

Big Al
Its ‘okay’ It is what it is. Knowing it’s a theme for a television show, I can’t view it as any more than that.

I’m curious as to whether I’m alone with this: is anyone else here unsure about Jagger’s present-day recording-vocals? He sounds so very effected; almost unnatural. It’s as if he’s ‘putting on’ a voice.
Yes, it's a style of him that was very present in the early 2010s (on the Exile and SG Bonus tracks for example) but from Blue and Lonesome on he sung more natural and laid back again. Usually prefer the more natural, laid back style but on this particular track I think it's quite fitting.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 1, 2022 13:05

Stoneage

Isn't it on Netflix?

No, it's AppleTV+ exclusive - [TV.Apple.com] , [en.Wikipedia.org] , [www.IMDb.com] .

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 1, 2022 14:10

Love it.

An atmosphere close to the TV series of the 70s, like the Persuarders

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: April 1, 2022 14:10

Just listened to it... Glad Jagger still wants to make and release music. As for the song... Well...To each his own... I doubt I'll listen to it again.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 1, 2022 14:18

StonedRambler
Big Al
Its ‘okay’ It is what it is. Knowing it’s a theme for a television show, I can’t view it as any more than that.

I’m curious as to whether I’m alone with this: is anyone else here unsure about Jagger’s present-day recording-vocals? He sounds so very effected; almost unnatural. It’s as if he’s ‘putting on’ a voice.
Yes, it's a style of him that was very present in the early 2010s (on the Exile and SG Bonus tracks for example) but from Blue and Lonesome on he sung more natural and laid back again. Usually prefer the more natural, laid back style but on this particular track I think it's quite fitting.

Yeah, he hasn't sang like this for some time. For example, in "Slow Walking" track last year his delivery was more 'natural' (not a good word, because I don't know if there even exist a kind of thing as Mick's 'natural voice') , probably his most strong, deep, and soulful interpretation for ages. Now he put another gear, and plays with the sharp edge of his voice with full of little tricks (especially his unique phrasing). I also think that kind of theatrics fits very well to this song (that has not always been the case). If a guy has an unique voice of that caliber, and still that strong and sharp, go ahead, use it!

There was a time when I thought that Mick hides the weaknesses of his voice with his theatrics (and nasal, too), but as you pointed out, especially from BLUE & LONESOME on, he has shown that he can sing differently ('naturally' if you like) and strongly without those 'tricks'. Now I think using that voice is purely an artistic choice: he tuned his instrument to get a certain effect. Mick might not be a very good actor, but the way he acts with his voice is pretty phenomenal.

But the last verse, oh man, he pushes his voice to limit, and especially the broken word "one", is totally unhearable before. I've been studying this dude's way of singing for ages, and that totally came out of blue.

Let's say I am pretty impressed by the results.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-01 14:22 by Doxa.

Date: April 1, 2022 14:26

<especially from BLUE & LONESOME on, he has shown that he can sing differently ('naturally' if you like) and strongly without those 'tricks'>

Let's not forget All The Rage here smiling smiley

However, I agree - he has indeed been singing in a more natural manner in this period.

And we don't know when he recorded All The Rage.

It's not really black and white, either - many tunes from the early/mid 70s are loaded with theatrics, word-twisting and almost incomprihensible words - but still sounds great thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 1, 2022 14:56

Haha, "All The Rage"... I don't know what Mick was thinking with that one, but let's say, if there is any Stones track that is almost unlistenable due to vocals, that's pretty close... Singing out of tune and with some sort of thin drunk parody voice... If that was not a some sort of joke, I question Mick's artistic judgment...

But dammit, listening those TY bonus tracks with recent vocals, they are incredibly strong. Just listened "It's A Lie" and I can't believe how 'perfect' and fresh Mick sounds with that unique tone of his. Works for me and I feel like the young kid listening once a brandnew TATTOO YOU and being totally stunned by that odd and distinctive voice I never heard anything like before.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-01 14:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: April 1, 2022 15:04

Love this back alley gritty vibe that is meant to complement/fit a TV show. Mick is amazing.
I almost hope there will not be a new Stones album. So sick of the whining and complaining and attacking. Not really, I want a new Stones album but I will mos def have to not come on these forums if/when it finally drops.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 1, 2022 15:17

Rockman
Lurv it .....
esp the textures of Mick's vocal work ...

thumbs up
Really impressive vocals.. he sounds fantastic.
Should work well for the show. Bravo Mick!

Date: April 1, 2022 15:29

Doxa
Haha, "All The Rage"... I don't know what Mick was thinking with that one, but let's say, if there is any Stones track that is almost unlistenable due to vocals, that's pretty close... Singing out of tune and with some sort of thin drunk parody voice... If that was not a some sort of joke, I question Mick's artistic judgment...

But dammit, listening those TY bonus tracks with recent vocals, they are incredibly strong. Just listened "It's A Lie" and I can't believe how 'perfect' and fresh Mick sounds with that unique tone of his. Works for me and I feel like the young kid listening once a brandnew TATTOO YOU and being totally stunned by that odd and distinctive voice I never heard anything like before.

- Doxa

Yeah, he sings great on the TY-tracks indeed.

Even on the "reggae" SMU, which is hard to sing like the studio version. It was nice to hear the "you make a grown my cry"-parts again (after four decades of talk-singing through them) smiling smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 1, 2022 16:51

Big Al
I’m curious as to whether I’m alone with this

you are not alone

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 1, 2022 17:01

schillid
Big Al
I’m curious as to whether I’m alone with this

you are not alone

+1

Drew

Posted by: Satisfaction ()
Date: April 1, 2022 18:32

Sounds nice to me.
A bit repetitive but musically laid-back.
Not a masterpiece of course, but very pleasant to listen to!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 1, 2022 18:47

"From a sonic point of view, he has this amazing mastery over his voice. Inflections that seem off-the-cuff are all highly controlled. It’s like working with a precious material that’s in limited supply.” - Composer Daniel Pemberton

How can you not think that listening to this? It'll be used as a theme to a show so I won't really put too much effort reviewing this. It's fun, cool and classic Jagger. You can tell he came up during the Dylan era: his phrasing and delivery are all his own. If it gets people to sing along with Jagger as they watch their favorite new spy show--it's a win win for everyone.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 1, 2022 19:35

I had been thinking a lot of the problems with his modern voice came from the use of an autotune, no? As far as this track goes, it has more of the same throwaway rhyme scheme that I've come to loathe. Almost predictable in nature. I do so miss the Jagger of the 70's in that regard. There are attempts for sure - Crossing the Rubicon for instance, but nothing sustaining anymore.

I'm listening to Goddess in its entirety right now, and he sounds much more natural on this recording than anything I think since the Licks tracks.

His voice is strong on this vocal performance though, and I do enjoy that aspect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-01 19:38 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 1, 2022 21:29

It's kick ass and cool and I dig it.
Keep Going and Keep Smiling...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 1, 2022 22:34

mixed emotions

all this "work" on mick's vocal delivery, one can admire and yet be left cold or worse

on the other hand, give me one strange game over a thousand of eazy sleazies

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 1, 2022 22:44

Doxa
"All The Rage"... I don't know what Mick was thinking with that one, but let's say, if there is any Stones track that is almost unlistenable due to vocals, that's pretty close... Singing out of tune and with some sort of thin drunk parody voice... If that was not a some sort of joke, I question Mick's artistic judgment...

But dammit, listening those TY bonus tracks with recent vocals, they are incredibly strong. Just listened "It's A Lie" and I can't believe how 'perfect' and fresh Mick sounds with that unique tone of his. Works for me and I feel like the young kid listening once a brand new TATTOO YOU and being totally stunned by that odd and distinctive voice I never heard anything like before.

- Doxa

While I was harder on "Strange Game" from listening to the previews than I felt after hearing the full track a couple times, it's still not my thing. I prefer "Plundered My Soul," "Pass the Wine," "When You're Gone," "Do You Think I Care?" "Don't Be a Stranger," "All the Rage," and the new vocals on TATTOO YOU Deluxe to other material from the same era, including most of BLUE AND LONESOME. The standouts there, for me, are "Hate to See You Go" and "Just Your Fool." In the end, there are lots of factors that influence likes and dislikes. For me, it's probably what seems evocative of the past. In general, I think recent blues pale compared to "Fancy Man Blues" as an example. That sounds like The Stones as a band. Too much of the rest lacks a distinctive band sound.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2022 23:50

Play six times before you listen ........

ROCKMAN

Date: April 1, 2022 23:52

"From a sonic point of view, he has this amazing mastery over his voice. Inflections that seem off-the-cuff are all highly controlled. It’s like working with a precious material that’s in limited supply.

- Composer Daniel Pemberton

ROCKMAN

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 2, 2022 00:02

Rockman
...Inflections that seem off-the-cuff are all highly controlled...

- Composer Daniel Pemberton

yes that's a perfect way to describe mick's work on the track
for better or worse..

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 2, 2022 00:42

This track is no Memo From Turner. We need another Mick-Winwood-Miller collaboration. Or at least Stevie and Mick.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 2, 2022 01:07

Mick is overdoing it, to my taste

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 2, 2022 01:29

I like it very much. What a nice surprice! The trashy balkan feeling, the Persuaders-like interlude - and above all Micks voice. And the lyrics are good too. One can only look forward to the forthcoming new album. Gotta get a grip, Easy sleazy - and now this!

Date: April 2, 2022 04:57

Heard it three times on radio ....
that creep waltz sways from the speakers .... Lurv ya Mick

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2022 05:08

Yeah, this is a good song.

Great feel, great vocal. For the purposes of a TV show theme it's excellent.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 2, 2022 05:09

I love it!

Reminds me of this!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home