Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Tom Smothers - Smothers Brothers comedian
Posted by: roryg ()
Date: December 27, 2023 20:19

Take it Tommy

Tom Smothers, Musical Comedian of Smothers Brothers Fame, Dies at 86 (Variety)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-28 13:05 by bv.

Re: Tom Smothers, RIP
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 27, 2023 20:31

Awwww…no! An early subversive influence. Tommy, Dick, Pat Paulson… such a great show. RIP Tommy.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 27, 2023 20:59

oh how sad! I loved that show. He didn't even have to say anything, his expressions alone made me laugh.

Rest in peace.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 27, 2023 21:11

I loved the Smothers Brothers as an act and their show. They brought a bit of the counterculture, if memory serves me right, to 1960s television which was so cool for the time. Tom, if I am remembering right again, also was in the Give Peace A Chance by John Lennon video and song. I think it was him who always said to his brother, Dick, "Mom always liked you best" which could be called the premise of the later television Everybody Loves Raymond. RIP, Mister Smothers.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2023 21:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-27 21:49 by Mathijs.

Re: RIP Tom Smothers - Smothers Brothers comedian
Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: December 29, 2023 00:54

I was 11 in 1969, and my Dad took me and my younger Brother to see the Smothers Brothers live in Boston, r.i.p Tom.

Re: RIP Tom Smothers - Smothers Brothers comedian
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 31, 2023 17:49

The Beatles "Hey Jude" promo clip had its American premier on the Smothers Brothers show. That was in Oct. '68, about six weeks after it first aired on the David Frost show in the UK.

Nine years old at the time, I didn't really "get" that Tom and Dickie were a comedy team. I guess I just thought that they were supposed to be trying to be successful as a serious performing and recording musical act, and could never understand why they kept arguing with each other and screwing up all the time. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home