Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 29, 2020 17:47

Erik_Snow
exilestones
I get why Criss Cross didn't get on GHS. It drags on and doesn't go anywhere after a while just like High Way Child.

I agree. The only real good "Criss Cross" is the one featured in a Japanese movie, can't recall the title - and it last for about 1:50.

It does not go anywhere after that.

I cut it down to 3:16 from 4:26. Maybe I'll get it second look to edit some more.

Separately is another song that's great and doesn't go anywhere or don't go anywhere for a while. I cut Separately down to 1:41 and LOVE IT!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-29 19:00 by exilestones.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 29, 2020 19:36

exilestones
Swayed1967
frankotero
If I may interject I'd like to say Sticky Fingers is in my opinion the bigger masterpiece. However I've always wondered why GHS is not more talked about because I too feel it's a masterpiece. Happy to hear it's getting some attention with a new release. Hope there are some exciting extras.

Perhaps I’m quibbling but up to now I don’t recall anyone referring to BB, LIB, EOMS and SF as the big 4 ‘masterpieces.’ And for good reason – crediting bands with multiple masterpieces begins to get silly and increases the likelihood of getting into even sillier conversations with Lem. It’s the BIG FOUR Period.

Goats is not part of the BIG FOUR Period. However, if you love Goats and are unable to resist the urge to call it a masterpiece I’ll allow it on two conditions: 1. that you qualify it as a ‘minor masterpiece’ and 2. that you don’t start a silly thread about which Stones albums should be classified as ‘minor masterpieces.’

I always thought there were seven masterpieces between Beggars and Some Girls. Sticky Fingers comes in last if you want to have a contest.

Sticky Fingers has some of the very best Stones songs but it's a collection of songs more than an album. Just like Black and Blue. Let It Bleed and most of Goats Head has qualities about them the fit the songs together. It seems easy to see the songs on those albums are from a certain period with style and technique.

I disagree. I think BB through GHS are all thematic, with GHS having the weakest songs, or, rather, the weakest production. (Remember Jimmy Miller was fading at this point). I think all those albums hang together sonically. IORR and Black and Blue don't. They sound like a collection of songs. I think people consider Some Girls their last truly great album because it also hangs together sonically. Whatever strange mix they used, goes through the whole album. (And if Claudine had replaced Lies, it would have been perfect.) I think that's why songs like Don't Be a Stranger, and So Young didn't make they album is that they didn't hang with the other Some Girls songs. (Although both are great cuts). They would never again achieve that.

I love Goats Head Soup. Yum, Yum!

Date: February 29, 2020 22:27

Date: February 29, 2020 22:28

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 1, 2020 00:05

boogaloojef
Palace Revolution 2000
TravelinMan
I’m in the minority here, but I couldn’t see the album with a different opener. I love the song; it’s voodoo, grimy blues, rock, and Jamaican.

very good point. This is true: there really isn't another cut from the GHS sessions that would work as opener.
The thing about "Dancing w/ Mr D" is that it is one of those songs that is always better when you actually hear it. When it is playing I'm always "Man this is pretty good". I love that low keyboard down there; can't quite tell if it s a clavinet or electric piano.
It's the chorus itself that is a little lame.

I like Dancing with Mr. D but I think Star Star or Heartbreaker would have worked as an opener. Star Star would have been a kick right out of the gate.

Listening to GHS, 100 years would had worked as an opener...thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 1, 2020 00:06

24FPS
I think people consider Some Girls their last truly great album because it also hangs together sonically. Whatever strange mix they used, goes through the whole album. (And if Claudine had replaced Lies, it would have been perfect.) I think that's why songs like Don't Be a Stranger, and So Young didn't make they album is that they didn't hang with the other Some Girls songs. (Although both are great cuts).

Had you asked the band about "Don't Be a Stranger" in 1978, they wouldn't have had a clue what you meant since they had no work in progress with that title. Likewise, "So Young" was just a sloppy guide vocal that was far from finished lyrically. Before the year was out it was abandoned in favor of "Summer Romance" as the underage rocker of choice.

Date: March 1, 2020 00:59

Maindefender
boogaloojef
Palace Revolution 2000
TravelinMan
I’m in the minority here, but I couldn’t see the album with a different opener. I love the song; it’s voodoo, grimy blues, rock, and Jamaican.

very good point. This is true: there really isn't another cut from the GHS sessions that would work as opener.
The thing about "Dancing w/ Mr D" is that it is one of those songs that is always better when you actually hear it. When it is playing I'm always "Man this is pretty good". I love that low keyboard down there; can't quite tell if it s a clavinet or electric piano.
It's the chorus itself that is a little lame.

I like Dancing with Mr. D but I think Star Star or Heartbreaker would have worked as an opener. Star Star would have been a kick right out of the gate.

Listening to GHS, 100 years would had worked as an opener...thumbs up

Damn this is a sneaky tricky album. The UM release is much better, Silver Train and even Music rocks IMO..I think Mr. D should have been reworked somehow

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 1, 2020 16:16

Erik_Snow
exilestones
I get why Criss Cross didn't get on GHS. It drags on and doesn't go anywhere after a while just like High Way Child.

I agree. The only real good "Criss Cross" is the one featured in a Japanese movie, can't recall the title - and it last for about 1:50.

It does not go anywhere after that

Goats Head Soup is one of my very very favourite RS albums. Silver Train might be the only weak track there - but there exist a better outtake version on bootleg

METAMORPHOSES is the movie.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 1, 2020 16:30

GasLightStreet
Erik_Snow
exilestones

METAMORPHOSES is the movie.

Yes - see Page 1 in this Thread: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 1, 2020 21:52

exilestones
GasLightStreet

In regard to what could've been a better LP opener for GHS, what about Criss Cross?

Probably too slow. But it has a great intro.

Heartbreaker would've been the superior 'faster' opener.

If Jumpin' Jack Flash had been used on BEGGARS it would've definitely opened the album. It should've.

Keep in mind that back in the days of GHS there were LPs with two sides, so the artist probably kept in mind the opener and closer of each side of the album.

I get why Criss Cross didn't get on GHS. It drags on and doesn't go anywhere after a while just like High Way Child. Great stuff but... I did and edit version of Criss Cross which I enjoy much better than the whole song.

Heartbreaker as an opening would have come out of the gate charging hard. Wow. Never even imagined it.

T@3

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 1, 2020 23:43

I'll bet they wanted to open with a Keith riff rather than, say Billy's clavinet.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: March 2, 2020 00:51

exilestones

Yessss! Singing with Mister T.! ;-)

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 2, 2020 04:50

Bet he is embarrassed by that get-up. I would be.

jb

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 2, 2020 07:27

jbwelda

jb

That’s because you’re not a musician or a rock and roll star - what’s the embarrassing part of “ I was wearing a funny hat and eye makeup while singing into a microphone with Keith Richards “- and oh by the way I was in the Stones”

Yeah, what a loser.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2020 07:31

Taylor was just being sun-smart ….. 30 yrs ahead of the pack

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: March 2, 2020 08:03

That was a year after Ziggy Stardust. Everyone was well into mascara after that. Starman had literally blown everybody away one night on the BBC in July 1972. And did it ever. Watch Top Of The Pops repeats of the era going forward. Hence the glam look MT has. Nothing wrong with that get-up. Flavour of the times.

Anyway, looking forward to this reissue and I hope that there are some surprises.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-02 08:07 by KingmanBarstow.

Date: March 2, 2020 13:01

lem motlow
jbwelda

jb

That’s because you’re not a musician or a rock and roll star - what’s the embarrassing part of “ I was wearing a funny hat and eye makeup while singing into a microphone with Keith Richards “- and oh by the way I was in the Stones”

Yeah, what a loser.

Haha yeah, I believe the Stones also dressed in drag in the 60’s

Date: March 2, 2020 13:30

exilestones
Erik_Snow
exilestones

It does not go anywhere after that.

I cut it down to 3:16 from 4:26. Maybe I'll get it second look to edit some more.

Separately is another song that's great and doesn't go anywhere or don't go anywhere for a while. I cut Separately down to 1:41 and LOVE IT!

I agree on 'Separately" - it has such great promise. That is one of the most gorgeous passages in Stones music, that intro. But then it kind of fizzles out. This is one of those scenarios where Jagger's need for structure would have been essential. He cold have done something with it.
It's kind of like "winter" without the vocal. Great texture, but empty ulitmately.

Date: March 2, 2020 13:48

Taylor made a song of it, but imo it lacks the magic of the original.

Separately/Mick Taylor.

Date: March 2, 2020 16:06

You Should Have See Her Ass is pretty good.

There is I suppose what is a bridge, it has a descending bit to it, starting at 1:30, that seems familiar to the bridge or whatever in Saint Of Me, that bit about "I thought I heard an angel cry".

Date: March 2, 2020 16:13

Fast Talking Slow Walking sounds like a mash up of Elton John and Leon Russell, with it being so sentimental (it almost has a lyrical attitude of Downtown Suzie or Family, the way those were delivered) while sounding like the entire instrumental section of Shine A Light.

For some reason this track sounds like it was considered for TATTOO YOU but I'm only going by Tops. I'm guessing it would've been edited a good bit because it just rambles on...

Date: March 2, 2020 16:48

GasLightStreet

There is I suppose what is a bridge, it has a descending bit to it, starting at 1:30, that seems familiar to the bridge or whatever in Saint Of Me, that bit about "I thought I heard an angel cry".

Sounds like a drunk version of "Dancing in the streets" to me.

Date: March 2, 2020 16:54

GasLightStreet

Ronnie recycled it for Lucky Man (he nicked a part from Seven Days while he was at it) smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 2, 2020 17:33

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
dcba
Yes I agree with myself... grinning smiley
Didn't Keef once complain Mick always wants to play the songs live too fast? Keef probbaly thinks that if you're too fast you have the rock but you miss the roll/the swing.
Can't say he's wrong if you watch a 1988 video of a Mick gig.

He did forget that himself in 1982, though. The merck might have had something to do with it.

Love the extra solos before the third verse, btw grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Wow Jagger drinking JD on stage in '82.......interesting

That performance of Jumpin' Jack Flash is a perfect example of what's been wrong with it since 1972 - they fly through it yet play it way too long, yell and howl, it has no swagger - why bother. Horrible.

Why bother? Seriously? I'd go back in time and go to this show in a heartbeat.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 2, 2020 17:54

GasLightStreet
That performance of Jumpin' Jack Flash is a perfect example of what's been wrong with it since 1972 - they fly through it yet play it way too long, yell and howl, it has no swagger - why bother. Horrible.

[/quote]

It's a show-closer so it has to be extended a bit... That's a cardinal rule of show-biz.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 3, 2020 03:23

Yes I know about dressing in drag, I just think I might regret having that filmed. It kind of looks too...good. But its an English tradition and all so what the heck and like Jerry Seinfeld said, not that theres anything wrong with that, so...

Now the Have you seen your mother baby, standing in the shadows single sleeve, that was a hoot.

jb

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 3, 2020 03:58

I really like Criss Criss,but without the sax.Keith’sguitar playing is great and I don’t agree that it goes nowhere after1.50.It goes into a great groove with the rhythm guitar,wah wah guitar,percussion and the clavinet or electric piano.Listen to it without Jagger over singing and screaming over the ending and you can here the great musicianship

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-03 04:42 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2020 10:11

This thread inspires a man to do a lot of things, or not, but at least one of them has been listening to "Criss Cross" more closely. I agree that it drags a bit and sounds like not really going anywhere, but still it is a fascinating track - lots of interesting things going on there. Starts with a raw naked signature Keef riff, like a business usual, but quickly transforms into a funky jam with all early 70's funk features in, like straight from the next blaxploitation film. Seemingly one of early attempts to write a pure Stonesian funk piece (something they finally came up with "Hot Stuff"). Still doesn't quite trust on jamesbrownian simple structure, but includes more traditional pop/rock song portions (one found its way to the middle eight of "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" a bit later, which was a bit more natural context I guess). Also one early attempt by Mick to charm the dance audience with 'sexy' dance floor voice pointing and repeating just individual phrases. Good noise he makes me thinks. The song didn't make GOATS HEAD SOUP, but one can hear traits of it in "Dancing With Mr. D" (trusting on repititive dance groove, Jag's way of phrasing and emphasizing certain words) and "100 Years Ago" (the instrumentally rich funky jam part).

Was it "Mr. D" or "Silver Train", which replaced it in the album, I don't know. Had the album been stronger with it, I don't know either. Like "Mr. D" it has novelty in it, pointing to new musical waters, but like it, doesn't quite convince. Probably a pure blues rock number "Silver Train" was a safe choice, to see more continuity with EXILE.

I hope it makes the Reissue.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-03 10:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 3, 2020 10:18

Doxa
Was it "Mr. D" or "Silver Train", which replaced it in the album, I don't know. Had the album been stronger with it, I don't know either. Like "Mr. D" it has novelty in it, pointing to new musical waters, but like it, didn't quite convince. Probably a pure blues rock number "Silver Train" was a safe choice, to see more continuity with EXILE.
- Doxa

"Hide Your Love" was also a safe choice. It's like the not fully grown son of hise ma "I Just Want To See His Face" and papa "Stop Breaking Down"

I believe Silver Train OR Hide Your Love would be skipped if they had included Criss Cross

When it comes to Mr. D; I'm a big fan - but it's a bit of a parody at the same time; tho'; so goes for the opening track on their next album, in 1974

Date: March 3, 2020 10:19

<This thread inspires a man to do a lot of things>

True! I've been listening to GHS non-stop the last couple of days thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-03 10:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home