Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 4, 2020 21:03

Erik_Snow
Rockman

= "Jagger and Taylor did Goats Head Soup; I was completely out of it...I hardly did anything"

True but more than that Keith has often done that, he's the ultimate "PR Man"...
- 1986 : Undercover ? It's the best we could do at the time.
- 2002 : These sessions produced the best songs we've done in years
- 2005 : The favorite song of mine ? "This Place is Empty"

etc, etc...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 4, 2020 21:55

GasLightStreet

I find the rolling riff of Dancing With Mr D to be a hilarious take on The Beatles' Drive My Car

Really? To me it's more like a rather hazardous re-reading of the "Day Tripper" main riff (a fifth fourth higher btw). grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-05 15:27 by dcba.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 5, 2020 02:01

The Story Of The Rolling Stones -- 2019

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 5, 2020 02:16

Interesting that Jagger said the album was the Stones musing about beauty. Somebody else posted something similar here.
Of course it got overshadowed by @#$%& and the Stones embrace of their bad boy image. So many times the Stones brand has overshadowed what they were doing as musicians in a band.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 5, 2020 10:08

dcba
GasLightStreet

I find the rolling riff of Dancing With Mr D to be a hilarious take on The Beatles' Drive My Car

Really? To me it's more like a rather hazardous re-reading of the "Day Tripper" main riff (a fifth higher btw). grinning smiley

Those damn Beatles. That's what I meant. Ha haaaarrrrrggghhh I knew it was one of those D songs.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 5, 2020 11:31

Rockman
….its okay Lem … Gotta laugh at how ya
scream and throw things around ta get ya point across …

But hey Miller did produce those early Traffic
albums so maybe some influence seeped across inta Stones camp …

It’s my lack of writing ability. What I mean as sarcasm or at worst being dismissive comes out as a red- faced guy angrily typing away.
I think I told the story before about the time I hadn’t posted in awhile and was reading threads to catch up.
I came across one post and was thinking “what’s this guys problem?” I looked at the name and it was ME.
I do think we should be careful assigning influences to the band because some writer or even one of us thought we heard something though.
We know where the music comes from because they told us, from Chuck Berry to Mick in the disco’s to Jamaica and beyond.
If one of the songwriters said they were listening to Astral Weeks or Low Spark ok,but otherwise you run the risk of just making stuff up.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 5, 2020 15:01

GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
lem motlow
That review is bullshit, it’s from decades after the album was released so it Captures none of the zeitgeist or the place the band was in at the time.he actually said the Stones may have been influenced by Traffic.
No concept of the times, that would be like a new U2 album coming out and saying it had a drive by truckers influence.
The Stones were the premiere Rock and Roll band at that moment in time. they had outlasted the Beatles and had Zep nipping at their heels.
Their influences were probably The Stones at that point.why not look to the best band on the planet.
Also those quotes on sidebar, what s pathetic twat Nick Kent was, he didn’t understand Dancing With Mr Death even though he thought he was some authority on he band, fckng half wit.

You don't think it's possible for an established band to be influenced by someone else? Seems to me they've been influenced by all kinds of music and styles throughout their career, right up through ABB. That's not a knock or some kind of an assertion that they don't have an inner sense of who they are and what they are, musically speaking. You don't think "Miss You" was partly brought on by what was going on around them? I definitely hear some Traffic and Stevie Wonder in GHS....it doesn't mean they needed it or someone is criticizing them. Maybe they just wanted it in there and were excited by it.

Seems like Lem is "defending" the Stones, which makes zero sense. Some influences on them are obvious, like Bob Dylan and Muddy Waters, others are obviously more subtle. I find the rolling riff of Dancing With Mr D to be a hilarious take on The Beatles' Drive My Car Day Tripper, which Keith essentially lifted for his new riffage of Satisfaction in 1969 - and then he brought it up 4 to the key of A and slowed it way down for Dancing With Mr D.

Is the 1969 riff different than the record? I never noticed.

Taylor plays a cool counter riff in 1969, I just remember that.

Date: March 5, 2020 15:45

TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
lem motlow
That review is bullshit, it’s from decades after the album was released so it Captures none of the zeitgeist or the place the band was in at the time.he actually said the Stones may have been influenced by Traffic.
No concept of the times, that would be like a new U2 album coming out and saying it had a drive by truckers influence.
The Stones were the premiere Rock and Roll band at that moment in time. they had outlasted the Beatles and had Zep nipping at their heels.
Their influences were probably The Stones at that point.why not look to the best band on the planet.
Also those quotes on sidebar, what s pathetic twat Nick Kent was, he didn’t understand Dancing With Mr Death even though he thought he was some authority on he band, fckng half wit.

You don't think it's possible for an established band to be influenced by someone else? Seems to me they've been influenced by all kinds of music and styles throughout their career, right up through ABB. That's not a knock or some kind of an assertion that they don't have an inner sense of who they are and what they are, musically speaking. You don't think "Miss You" was partly brought on by what was going on around them? I definitely hear some Traffic and Stevie Wonder in GHS....it doesn't mean they needed it or someone is criticizing them. Maybe they just wanted it in there and were excited by it.

Seems like Lem is "defending" the Stones, which makes zero sense. Some influences on them are obvious, like Bob Dylan and Muddy Waters, others are obviously more subtle. I find the rolling riff of Dancing With Mr D to be a hilarious take on The Beatles' Drive My Car Day Tripper, which Keith essentially lifted for his new riffage of Satisfaction in 1969 - and then he brought it up 4 to the key of A and slowed it way down for Dancing With Mr D.

His 1971-riff is different than the record - just a different riff.

The 1969-riff, too, but only because he plays is an octave higher on the g-string smiling smiley

Date: March 5, 2020 17:21

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
lem motlow

His 1971-riff is different than the record - just a different riff.

The 1969-riff, too, but only because he plays is an octave higher on the g-string smiling smiley

Cool thanks!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 6, 2020 04:26

Just to get it straight, no actual announcement on this yet, just Mick mentioning it in an interview?

Got to happen soon, with the tour 8 weeks or so out.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 6, 2020 12:03

"Fast Talking Slow Walking"... They'll put that one on the reissue won't they?
It's pretty good, it's finished (complete with lyrics and overdubs) so it's a rather strong contender for an inclusion on the reissue (imo).

Date: March 6, 2020 12:11

dcba
It's pretty good, it's finished (complete with lyrics and overdubs) so it's a rather strong contender for an inclusion on the reissue (imo).

Many of these songs drag after a while (Fast Talking, Criss Cross), but it would be cool to have them in good quality.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 6, 2020 12:21

At least You Should Have Seen Her Ass doesn't drag

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 6, 2020 12:52

What about Man Eating Woman, Jamaica, After Charlie and Muddy, Zigaboo, Curtis Meets Smoky, Scarlet, and a Jagger song High Roller ,which Lesley West recorded

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 6, 2020 13:13

since nobody has heard them nobody can tell what's about them

Date: March 6, 2020 13:15

Taylor1
What about Man Eating Woman, Jamaica, After Charlie and Muddy, Zigaboo, Curtis Meets Smoky, Scarlet, and a Jagger song High Roller ,which Lesley West recorded

Zigaboo is interesting. I wonder if Ziggy Modeliste plays on it.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 6, 2020 14:09

Taylor1

Man Eating Woman
[www.youtube.com]

English Rose
[www.youtube.com]

These were taped when the Stones were in Rotterdam in early '75. Many sources claim these are playbacks from Jamaica in late '72. I'm pretty sure you can hear Mick Taylor playing on "English Rose" but not sure.

Date: March 6, 2020 15:56

JordyLicks96
Taylor1

Man Eating Woman
[www.youtube.com]

English Rose
[www.youtube.com]

These were taped when the Stones were in Rotterdam in early '75. Many sources claim these are playbacks from Jamaica in late '72. I'm pretty sure you can hear Mick Taylor playing on "English Rose" but not sure.

Interesting. I’ve never heard those up until now. It sounds like Taylor could be on both of those.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2020 16:14

DandelionPowderman
dcba

Many of these songs drag after a while (Fast Talking, Criss Cross), but it would be cool to have them in good quality.

A very "druggy" quality. Stones sleaze. I love it.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 7, 2020 14:26

treaclefingers
Just to get it straight, no actual announcement on this yet, just Mick mentioning it in an interview?

Yes.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 7, 2020 16:15

TravelinMan
Taylor1

Zigaboo is interesting. I wonder if Ziggy Modeliste plays on it.

Zabadoo Modeliste plays on Zigaboo.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 7, 2020 19:18

Taylor1
What about a Jagger song High Roller ,which Lesley West recorded

It's on Leslie West's THE GREAT FATSBY album. Mick is one of the co-writers with West, drummer Corky Laing, and Sandra Palmer. Keith is credited only because they did not yet separate Jagger/Richards for their non-Stones songwriting efforts. It's as much a Jagger song as his co-writing credit on Mick Jones (of Foreigner)'s godawful "Just Wanna Hold" in 1989. Jagger was there and participated and his a writing credit. It was never a Stones track.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 7, 2020 21:13

Thanks.
Did not know this one.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 7, 2020 22:34

Rocky Dijon
Taylor1

It's on Leslie West's THE GREAT FATSBY album. Mick is one of the co-writers with West, drummer Corky Laing, and Sandra Palmer. Keith is credited only because they did not yet separate Jagger/Richards for their non-Stones songwriting efforts. It's as much a Jagger song as his co-writing credit on Mick Jones (of Foreigner)'s godawful "Just Wanna Hold" in 1989. Jagger was there and participated and his a writing credit. It was never a Stones track.

[www.youtube.com]

I'd heard of "High Roller" but not of (indeed it's awful) "Just Wanna Hold", credited to M. Philips who is according to [en.wikipedia.org]) : "It is widely believed that the co-composer "M. Phillips" on the track "Just Wanna Hold" is a pseudonym of Mick Jagger. " Wonder how that collaboration came about ?!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 8, 2020 01:40

gotdablouse
Rocky Dijon
Taylor1

[www.youtube.com]

I'd heard of "High Roller" but not of (indeed it's awful) "Just Wanna Hold", credited to M. Philips who is according to [en.wikipedia.org]) : "It is widely believed that the co-composer "M. Phillips" on the track "Just Wanna Hold" is a pseudonym of Mick Jagger. " Wonder how that collaboration came about ?!
Is it worse than his collaboration with Michael Jackson on State of Shock

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 8, 2020 01:48

An underrated classic.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 9, 2020 03:37

I’m a little skeptical that this is even going to come out

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 9, 2020 04:21

gotdablouse
Rocky Dijon
Taylor1

[www.youtube.com]

Bill German wrote about it. If I remember right, Jagger was simply around Mick Jones socially and accepted an invite to stop by the studio where Jones was working on a track for his solo album with Ian Hunter. Mick contributed to the song but since STEEL WHEELS was in the works, Mick was prohibited from competing with himself hence the pseudonym. The band had limitations on what they could and couldn't do outside of the band during the period STEEL WHEELS came together. It affected Keith and Bill as well. Mick's pseudonym is his first and middle name (with an "s" tacked on) as you probably realized.

Mick did something similar for Ronnie's GIMME SOME NECK album where he's credited as "Harry Phillips" (possibly a Harry Nilsson joke). Dave Marsh mentioned that one in his book of lists (I think it's called ROCK OF AGES). I don't believe Mick is credited at all for his brief lead vocal on the fadeout of "Buried Alive" (Mick does the very obvious "Die, Die, Die" in his Cockney voice from that period).

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 9, 2020 11:43

bye bye johnny
treaclefingers

Yes.

[iorr.org]

So....18 pages and counting, based on one remark.
I canna believe it!

Date: March 9, 2020 12:02

jlowe
bye bye johnny
treaclefingers

Yes.

[iorr.org]

So....18 pages and counting, based on one remark.
I canna believe it!

If we shouldn't believe it when it comes straight from the horse's mouth, what should we believe?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home