Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Jacksonville show 19-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 20, 2019 19:33

maumau
tornandfrayed, two questions
1. how old are the musicians that back up macca?
2. what is the average lenght of macca's songs in the set?

Rusty Anderson (guitar) - 60
Brian Ray (guitar/bass) - 64
Paul 'Wix' Wickens (keyboards) - 63
Abe Laboriel, Jr. (drums) - 48

So, it's sort of like the Mick of today playing with the Keith/Ronnie from the Bigger Bang tour, and the Charlie from the Steel Wheels tour.

As for the average length of the songs, three hours is three hours - and Paul is playing either bass, guitar or piano on each song (integral to all)...and singing lead. It's not Mick-level effort, but he isn't just hanging around on stage doing nothing the whole time.

That being said, I don't begrudge the Stones at all for the length of their shows these days.

Re: Jacksonville show 19-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 20, 2019 19:37

Just got home. Omg just ****ing WONDERFUL show. Love them so much!!!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 20, 2019 19:41

steffialicia
Just got home. Omg just ****ing WONDERFUL show. Love them so much!!!

I bet you just loved PWF & SV … Start me Up position makes sense -

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 20, 2019 20:46

StonedRambler
That Paul McCartney comparison is just stupid. Look at a Macca concert and at a Stones concert. Mick dances from one corner of the stage to the other for two hours while Paul is just standing on one spot. Of course you can play longer if you just stand on one spot the whole time eye rolling smiley
Nothing against Macca but it's absolutely not comparable

There are people who pay to see Mick dancing and there are those who pay to hear Mick singing - and there are those who fall somewhere beween these two extremes. I know where my preference is when one activity tends to happen only at the expense of the other. I'm not a fan of Madonna and other circus show acts, you know. Dance as long as you can and as long as it does not affect your singing and not the other way round, I would say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-20 20:48 by retired_dog.

Date: July 20, 2019 21:16

Would people prefer a bunch of 2:05-songs to MR, just to have a higher number of songs in the setlist?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 20, 2019 21:45

I'm happy with the setlists they decide on. Lifelong respect and love for them. None for the whiners.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 20, 2019 21:51

Keith and Ronnie are playing better but they will play better during the next tour.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:09

snoopy2
My three (positive) takeaways:

Keith sounded fantastic, that Away is from an era I stopped that Stones' music and yet he has converted me with last night's version..that

The crowd obviously was over the moon about having this show. I watched listened to them a lot last night and post show, and all I heard (again) was "Holy guacamole that was awwwweeeeeessssoooommmeee." People were psyched..

Ok, this 3rd one isn't exactly positive but I'll try and spin it: That was most difficult post show try to get a ride home I've experienced so far. Finally back at hotel at 230am after a $50+ uber.. Don't think I'm coming back for any Jaguar games, BUT (and here's the positive spin) during my wait in a hotel lobby for a ride I ran into friends from Zip Code tour and we caught up over beer smiling smiley

Some reports of Keith's set being great, strong voice nice playing etc, any Link's out there, nothing on YouTube yet as far as I can see.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:14

powerage78
Keith and Ronnie are playing better but they will play better during the next tour.

You are so funny powerage , the Emperor's new clothes comes to mind.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:31

What an absolute blast. Great vibe in the city all day, crowd was so into it from the opening band right to the end of satisfaction. Great time on the floor raving dance party, smiles all around, young and old. I was so psyched to get monkey man. I could of sworn the screen on pit 2 said off my cloud? After last night I really want catch another show this tour.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:35

"That Paul McCartney comparison is just stupid. Look at a Macca concert and at a Stones concert. Mick dances from one corner of the stage to the other for two hours while Paul is just standing on one spot. Of course you can play longer if you just stand on one spot the whole time eye rolling smiley
Nothing against Macca but it's absolutely not comparable"

Totally agree, StonedRambler. In addition, I can't understand people who compare "apples to oranges" (as Treaclefingers said), instead of considering whether the Stones are keeping their type of shows straight. Allow me to notice that the duration of their concerts is slightly bigger than what we have lived in 2003. Sixteen years ago. And some folks are grumbling...

Fans, here, are often complaining about the variety of the lists. Well,in the 2018 they played, among others, "Fool to Cry", "Neighbours", "Worst, "Get Off Of My Cloud", "Shattered","Bitch", "Beast Of Burden",plus blues numbers, etc. On the current tour they played, so far, "Sad Sad Sad", "Monkey Man", "Play With Fire", "Sweet Virginia", plus 'Angie", "Dead Flowers". But we have a new... "big problem": "Only" two songs on the acoustic set...

Sometimes I think that the Stones could be accused even for the color of their clothes. In this site, I mean...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:43

I would like to see how energetic Abe would be on drums when he is +75 years old!!

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 20, 2019 23:29

laertisflash
Sometimes I think that the Stones could be accused even for the color of their clothes. In this site, I mean...

I second that, of course.
This band is in it's 57th year of taking the stage, for chrissakes!

I mean, folks, WHAT A BAND!

And what a nice and e-x-t-r-e-e-e-e-m-l-y lucky buch of fans are we in the first place!??!

I mean, really ... and I'm serious here! smileys with beer

Date: July 20, 2019 23:33

"Would people prefer a bunch of 2:05-songs to MR, just to have a higher number of songs in the setlist?"

Ha... I hope (and believe) that the vast majority would answer "of course not...".

You know, Dandelion, I have been IORR's reader many years before I decided to join it. If I remember correctly, there were not many complaints about the Stones "playing only 19 songs" in 2003 and 2006. And in a few cases the number of songs was 18, on ABB tour. Right?

Now, we almost have "World War III" here, while the Stones are still giving 120' - 130' shows. Honestly, I can't explain this...

Date: July 20, 2019 23:39

"This band is in it's 57th year of taking the stage, for chrissakes!"

I have some hopes for 58th year, Waterrats. I mean, another European round would be great. Let's see.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 20, 2019 23:59

laertisflash
"This band is in it's 57th year of taking the stage, for chrissakes!"

I have some hopes for 58th year, Waterrats. I mean, another European round would be great. Let's see.

Yup - agreed!

They should kick the 60ies line, IMHO! smiling bouncing smiley

And any tour and gig is fine with me!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-21 00:00 by waterrats.

Posted by: 1badgator ()
Date: July 21, 2019 01:09

The Lyft/Uber experience.
$12 + tip to show, driver dropped me off at Box Office for Lucky Dips -Kool.
Went to THAT BAR AT THE ARENA for a couple drinks and a good band afterwards to thin the crowds and get a cheaper ride. Uber/Lyft was $50-68 +at least a 30 minute wait near bar closing, to go 9 miles (pretty shady looking characters and area after the crowds left and nothing else open nearby, time to act fast).
Ended up taking a $20 pedicab 1 mile ride to the Hyatt to get a cab shortly before the bars closed.
Lots of people were trying to get rides at the Bar and the Sheraton.
>>>The doorman told me to go snipe a cab around the corner before they pulled up.
Scored a ride immediately, taking a Z-Trip for $25.
Back at Motel by 2:15.
A couple people were looking at well over $100 Uber/Lyft rides.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 21, 2019 01:14

There were strange moments from Keith - but when he woke up and kicked into high gear, it was one great night. An exceptional show!

Date: July 21, 2019 01:58

DandelionPowderman
Would people prefer a bunch of 2:05-songs to MR, just to have a higher number of songs in the setlist?

This is a great question and the comments have been stellar! I think what concerns most die hard Stones fans are extended or dragged out songs. Same opinion goes with our other great R & R bands. There is no reason for any song to be longer than CYHMK. TWFN (love the guitar solo) is the only other song I can think of that should not be exceeded. Yeah, others are not mentioned.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: July 21, 2019 03:31

Rambler was cool

The guitar of Keith at the 1min mark is cool

Mick sitting down at 1:45 like he needs a rest is awesome as Keith and Ronnie looked over at him like “You’re sitting down?, you ok?!!!”

and I’m not sure how often Keith has seen Mick take a seat on Charlies drum riser but I know I’ve never seen Mick sit down in 60+ shows I’ve seen since 75 ...except at a piano... and considering his heart issue, I think he was playing a joke on Keith as he sat down and then got right up as the song was ready to kick into high gear... “Well you heard about the Boston!”

...and when he sprung up he looked right at Keith like “got you!” to see his reaction. Maybe I was over reading this but that was how I saw it from pretty close in the pit and here’s the video...

[youtu.be]

Date: July 21, 2019 03:39

Although I Privacy missed myself I’d video less and enjoy more, I couldn’t not record and share bring this close for all of the fans not there- sorry about the bad video but the audio is decent but the angle where I crashed the bstage isn’t as good as it was in Chicago. Here are the two B stage songs ...

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 21, 2019 03:46

MizzAmandaJonez
Rambler was cool

Mick sitting down at 1:45 like he needs a rest is awesome as Keith and Ronnie looked over at him like “You’re sitting down?, you ok?!!!”

and I’m not sure how often Keith has seen Mick take a seat on Charlies drum riser but I know I’ve never seen Mick sit down in 60+ shows I’ve seen since 75 ...except at a piano... and considering his heart issue, I think he was playing a joke on Keith as he sat down and then got right up as the song was ready to kick into high gear... “Well you heard about the Boston!”

...and when he sprung up he looked right at Keith like “got you!” to see his reaction. Maybe I was over reading this but that was how I saw it from pretty close in the pit and here’s the video...

[youtu.be]

Good observation.. never have seen Mick take a seat either..
Keith seemed genuinely concerned, and I'm not entirely certain Mick was joking, but trust you're probably right seeing it that close and by the way he assured Keith and jumped right back in.

People that complain about 19 song setlists should be grateful we're getting any, regardless of his medical condition. We are the luckiest fans in the world imo.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 21, 2019 03:53

Just a great, fun night.

As others have said, both the band and the crowd were in fine form.

Thankfully, the weather wasn't too hot (after about 6) for this time of year.

Thanks to all!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 21, 2019 03:54

MizzAmandaJonez
Rambler was cool

[youtu.be]

Hmmm...Mick sitting down...don't recall ever seeing that at any show I've been to going back to 1981.
I thought his time for a much deserved rest was during Keith's set, but sitting during the main set and especially Midnight Rambler.......hope everything's alright with him.

Date: July 21, 2019 04:45

Hairball
MizzAmandaJonez
Rambler was cool

[youtu.be]

Hmmm...Mick sitting down...don't recall ever seeing that at any show I've been to going back to 1981.
I thought his time for a much deserved rest was during Keith's set, but sitting during the main set and especially Midnight Rambler.......hope everything's alright with him.

This brings up a great point - Wild Horses should be in acoustic set - PWF SV and WH - he can sit during Wild Horses and then rest a bit.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 21, 2019 05:19

DandelionPowderman

Not me! I’d take that one over many of the others (especially if MT was playing on it, admittedly).

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 21, 2019 05:39

I don't like that they moved Gimme Shelter to the 15 slot last night, IMHO,I believe it worked awesome as the first encore it gave a great vibe as they came back on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-21 05:40 by virgil.

Date: July 21, 2019 05:43

Mick sat down on the steps to the main stage at the ending of YCAGWYW in Hartford 2005.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Date: July 21, 2019 05:45

My friend just texted me he sat down in the LSTNT movie quickly, crossed his legs and then got up-

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 21, 2019 07:47

After watching some clips, I have to say that the production crew (Woodroffe's guys) need to up their game in order to make great shows possible for the band. Specifically about the screens. When I first saw the stage in action in Hamburg in 2017, I thought "This doesn't work" I found that for that much available screen we were seeing too little of the band. The camera angles didn't seem to fit the format. One shot of Charlie they kept returning to showed him from up above and it felt like looking at a hamster in a box. Since it was opening night, the whole crew obviously was still working the new show out and in 2018 I liked the whole production much better. It all was perfectly in sync with sometimes breathtaking effect. But now much of it seems lazy, be it the camera guys or the ones working the screens. If Keith doesn't move so much, you maybe move the camera a bit, film him from different angles. Some of the coloured video filters (no filter ha ha) just show a certain part in the middle of the picture. The guys need to be filmed so they stay in that part. With the b/w filters you can't see anything if it's too dark so the use of that has to correspond with the lighting. I'm sure they got pros working for them, but they already proved it can be done much better. Hell, in 2014 they got the whole picture shaking when Charlie was shown. Do that again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-21 07:50 by Nikkei.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home