Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 16
Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: February 28, 2023 14:21

Question for His Majesty.............your 23rd February post above shows a very good video about Brian called The End.

It plays a version of No Expectations, in good quality sound, with clearly different lyrics (from the offical BB version) that I have never heard before.

Could you please give any info you have on this track and if you have the complete version to post .......please do.

I have only ever heard one out take of No Expectations with Brian, the one with the talking at the start, if there are any other takes available I would love to hear them before I pass away.

Many thanks

Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 28, 2023 14:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:12 by His Majesty.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 28, 2023 21:42

Thanks for all your great analyses about Brian's contributions! It's always interesting and great fun to read, still after all these years of Stones listening.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 1, 2023 02:32

LieB
Thanks for all your great analyses about Brian's contributions! It's always interesting and great fun to read, still after all these years of Stones listening.

My sentiments as well. It is great to have clarity to many things surrounding Brian's contribution to the Stones. You know, what he actually did.

- Doxa

Date: March 1, 2023 23:31

I shouldn't drink when I post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-02 15:48 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 3, 2023 18:31

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:12 by His Majesty.

Date: March 3, 2023 19:36

His Majesty
As a follow up to my Rock and Roll Circus posts, here's two alternate takes of Parachute Woman and You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Brian played near enough the same exact guitar parts as he did for the officially released takes. I've added my 'essentials of' demonstrations as ear guides.

Parachute Woman

Good rendition. A pity Brian didn't play slide on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-03 19:37 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 4, 2023 04:29

TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty
As a follow up to my Rock and Roll Circus posts, here's two alternate takes of Parachute Woman and You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Brian played near enough the same exact guitar parts as he did for the officially released takes. I've added my 'essentials of' demonstrations as ear guides.

Parachute Woman

Good rendition. A pity Brian didn't play slide on this.
Does Brian play guitar on the studio version?

Date: March 4, 2023 17:43

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:12 by His Majesty.

Date: March 25, 2023 14:41

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:13 by His Majesty.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 25, 2023 18:40

His Majesty
The Rolling Stones - Ruby Tuesday - Hyde Park, London - July 2013:

Ruby Tuesday is my favourite Rolling Stones song, studio recording and features my favourite recorded performance and contribution by Brian Jones.

The Rolling Stones - 'Sweet Summer Sun' DVD features a great live performance of Ruby Tuesday. One of the things that I love about this particular performance is Tim Ries's interpretation of Brian's original recorder melodies, but played on soprano saxophone. All very connected as soprano saxophone was a favourite instrument of Brian's in the last 2 years of his life.

For me, Tim played wonderfully, capturing some of the emotion of the original recording, Brian's performance, and beautifully projecting the sense of loss and wonder that relates to the song itself, but also to Brian Jones, the creator of those beautiful melodic lines.

Thank you Tim.

Photo: Lourdes Delgado.

That is just a fabulous live version...thanks for sharing HM

Date: April 6, 2023 17:50

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:13 by His Majesty.

Date: April 6, 2023 18:55

His Majesty
Brian Jones interviewed by André Heller - Ö3 Radio, Vienna, Austria - September 1968.

Photo 1: Brian and Suki in Vienna with an award from Ö3 radio station for Jumpin' Jack Flash being top of the Ö3 disc parade. Courtesy of Interfoto.

Photo 2-3: The Ö3 award for Jumpin' Jack Flash. Courtesy of Susanne Stadler.

From
From this interview he sounds like he was still involved in the recordings with the band.He sounds intelligent and that he was not so messed up that he couldn’t have gotten himself together had he lived.He was only in his twenties when he died.I think Mick and Keith exaggerate how messed up his when he died as if it was inevitable..Maybe they felt guilty for firing him and then him dying a month later

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-07 03:56 by Taylor1.

Date: April 6, 2023 23:37

Taylor1
He Also sounds intelligent and that he was not so messed up that he couldn’t have gotten himself together had he lived.

He spoke German very well, if it's Brian. I do think so.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 7, 2023 19:04

Taylor1
From this interview he sounds like he was still involved in the recordings with the band.He sounds intelligent and that he was not so messed up that he couldn’t have gotten himself together had he lived.He was only in his twenties when he died.I think Mick and Keith exaggerate how messed up his when he died as if it was inevitable..Maybe they felt guilty for firing him and then him dying a month later

He speaks slow, looking for words. Certainly not the eloquent and intelligent Brian of a couple years earlier.

When he died he had a heavily enlarged liver. You know how much drink and drugs you must do that get an enlarged liver at 27 years old?

Mathijs

Date: April 11, 2023 18:52

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:14 by His Majesty.

Date: April 18, 2023 18:45

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:14 by His Majesty.

Date: April 20, 2023 13:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:15 by His Majesty.

Date: April 27, 2023 02:06

Is it true Brian went all the way to the Monterey Festival just to introduce Hendrix to the audience.And was there ever a thought of him playing at the concert

Date: April 27, 2023 03:34

RIP Brian Jones. †

Date: April 27, 2023 15:29

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 27, 2023 20:57

His Majesty
Taylor1
Is it true Brian went all the way to the Monterey Festival just to introduce Hendrix to the audience.And was there ever a thought of him playing at the concert

Yes, but he also treated it as a short holiday. No suggestion he had any intention of playing. He was part of a sing along jam backstage though.

Do you know who else was in the sing along? Did anyone film it?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 28, 2023 01:54

His Majesty

Parachute Woman

Brian's rhythm guitar becomes audible at about 58 seconds in to the recording.

Line up:
Brian Jones - rhythm guitar
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - guitar (main riff, fills & solos)
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Nicky Hopkins - piano
Rocky Dzidzornu - maracas

Demonstration showing the essentials of Brian's guitar part:

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Mick plays acoustic guitar, which seems to distract him from his vocals a bit. Brian's basic part comes in at about 1 minute when they go to the D chord.

Line up:
Brian Jones - rhythm guitar
Mick Jagger - vocals & acoustic guitar
Keith Richards - guitar (main riff, fills and solos)
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Nicky Hopkins - piano
Rocky Dzidzornu - congas

Demonstration showing the essentials of Brian's guitar part:

So the harmonica played itself?

Date: May 2, 2023 17:19

Date: May 2, 2023 18:37

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:15 by His Majesty.

Date: May 10, 2023 17:31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 10, 2023 21:03

A documentary in the offing:

[deadline.com]

Date: May 11, 2023 17:04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 12, 2023 09:16

What or what did Brian do to piss them off so much? Love to know but no one speaks specifics. Whatever it was it seems cumulative and kept happening and caused estrangement. Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Jones.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 12, 2023 10:43

Brian Jones played on every Rolling Stones record from the 1960s
Brian started The Rolling Stones, he put the group together and named the band The Rolling Stones.
No matter how many times those two divas try to rewrite history that is what happened.
His multi instrumentalist ability defined the 1960s Stones. If not for that they would have been lost and looked like a dated RnB club band in a world that had gone next level.
George Harrison was playing a sitar,Brian learned it.could Mick have done that? ,Keith?
He’ll never get credit for using all his talents keeping the band relevant in a world that by the mid sixties had moved far beyond basic rock and RnB.
But let’s keep repeating stories of him too high to play, and showing up out of his mind in the studio because we know he’s the only one who ever did that right?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home