Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516
Current Page: 16 of 16
Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 13, 2023 21:27

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

What goes for the stressing the technical level of musicianship I find that generally very odd in the context of the Stones. None of them have been any master musicians in a technical level. Okay, probably Taylor's fluidity once was pretty exceptional, but hey, to shine technically in a lead guitar department of the Stones is not that big accomplishment. One doesn't exactly need to be a virtuoso for that.

Charlie and Bill... great musicians for sure, but their greatness do not derive from a technical point of view. Technically limited, but solid guys to do their job. Both Keith and Ronnie are pretty rough and even sloppy players. Especially in the case of Keith - my favourite guitar player with Jimi - his idiosyncracy might give the impression of 'Hey, this is difficult to copy', but that's nothing to do with technical finesse (forget the metaphysical vocabulary of touch, feel, timing, etc.) Damn, no one make such a noise John Lee Hooker did either, and his technical abilities were a bit limited, to put it mildly. Still, or because of that, I think Hooker is one of the most efficient blues guitar players ever lived. Mick? He would never do well in any Idols competitions, full of technically perfect singers.

I think sometimes the fandom and adoration simply makes tricks. If there is something a bit extraordinary happening - say, Keith puts a bit quicker run of notes than he normally does - that is interpreted something standing out and technically striking. Although, more cooler heads might simply recognize that something any competent guitar player pretty often does, without that further notice. Another funny consequence of true adoration making tricks is that of wanting to leave the magic there, like not even wanting to know how to copy the idol's licks exactly. Simply out of adoration. This is something Keith himself mentioned about Scott Moore's solo in "I'm left, You're Right, She's Gone". So we Keith Richards fans, no matter how great guitar players we might be, we never get the riff of "Brown Sugar" right, if even that of "Satisfaction". Probably we also be the only people in the world recognizing our failure, since we hear there something, thanks to our trained, adoring ears, no one else does.

A highly competent, technically-gifted musician or someone thinking music solely in terms of technical aptness, should, if being consistent and fair, point out about to any instrumental part in a Stones recording by our principals, 'yeah, but it is pretty simple'. (Funnily, I do know such people, and they keep telling me how mediocre, even poor players all of the Stones are. But even for most of them that does not really matter, thankfully).

But doesn't that - pointing their technical mediocracy - sound trivial? You know, like missing the whole point in their music?

So I think it boils down to the fact if the part fits to the whole (and with that what kind of impression the whole does). And in that the Stones are masters, even genius occasionally.

That was also what Brian Jones was all about. Also for that reason I am thrilled hearing his parts isolated, as His Majesty has done to us.

- Doxa

You just nailed it. Like Jeff Beck once said: "The Rolling Stones, that is about designer sloppiness".
Jeff Beck is overated

Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Date: September 13, 2023 21:48

<Jeff Beck is overated>

Is that a fact? Please explain on the Jeff Beck page, and go back on topic -Brian Jones related. That would be great. Thank You. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 23:35 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: September 14, 2023 03:24

His sitar and tanpura are brilliant on Street Fighting Man. You can really hear it when listening to his playing without the vocals and other instruments

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: September 14, 2023 10:00

Quite something to say here. Why not back it up with proof then? Right now you sound like a scottish turd.

His Majesty
Doxa
But we are good here?

I am not done with IORR, but I am with Mathijs.

Life is too short... He will say that 'I am one of those Brian fans that just credits him with everything', then say awhile later 'My Brian research is great'. Will say a part is too good to be Brian, then say that part is crap once it's shown it was played by Brian. The woodgrain on a guitar isn't visible, now it is. Then there's the stink bombs he occasionally posts on my Brian Resource Facebook page etc. Re-blocked to avoid what's happened here occuring there.

Phew. I'd rather NOT be saying any of this. Unrelated recent events have given me reason to reassess priorities, to try to be better, more positive. Let's move on, in peace, engaging in good faith with things we enjoy.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 14, 2023 12:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 07:50 by His Majesty.

Date: September 14, 2023 13:01

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 07:50 by His Majesty.

Date: September 14, 2023 20:00

His Majesty
The Rolling Stones - Ready Steady Go - 7th August 1964.

Around and Around: [youtu.be]

Line up:
Brian Jones - rhythm guitar
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - lead & rhythm guitar
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums

A demonstration showing the essentials of what Brian played: [youtu.be]

HM, I know you're not MT's biggest fan, but do you think he has listened to Brian Jones' (rhythm) playing before he decided to join the Stones? I hear some similarities in their playing.

Date: September 14, 2023 21:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 07:51 by His Majesty.

Date: September 15, 2023 16:39

His Majesty
Maybe? Or an incidence of coincidence?

The upstroke rhythm patterns (like Brian in paint it black) in particular.

Date: December 8, 2023 08:18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 07:51 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 8, 2023 14:53

His Majesty
Brian Jones - home recording: [youtu.be]

An extract of a home recording of a song Brian wrote with Ready Steady Go presenter Michael Aldred. Possibly recorded at 7 Elm Park Lane, London circa 1965 - 1966.

line up:
Brian Jones - vocals & 12 string acoustic guitar

The short extract of the recording is taken from the documentary film 'The Stones & Brian Jones'. There was debate as to whether the recording features Brian or Michael singing. Luckily, I was able to hear more of the recording and from this I was able to confirm it is Brian singing and playing a 12 string acoustic guitar.

Additionally, a friend recently met Bill Wyman at an event and personally asked him about who was singing on the recording. Surprised that there was debate, a startled Bill responded, "Of course it was Brian singing, he was trying to write a song."

Hey Philip, have you by now been able to find all the harassments on Youtube and FB that you blamed me for?

Mathijs

Date: December 8, 2023 15:33

Bye bye IORR.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 8, 2023 15:55

His Majesty
Bye bye IORR.

I'll be watching your excellent YouTube video's, Phillip winking smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 8, 2023 16:54

I love posts by His Majesty and posts by Mathijs. They both have helped make IORR the best Stones resource online. Can we please get a ceasefire in the hostilities so both can share their knowledge and passion here without forcing us into picking sides?

Date: December 8, 2023 18:55

His Majesty

An extract of a home recording of a song Brian wrote with Ready Steady Go presenter Michael Aldred. Possibly recorded at 7 Elm Park Lane, London circa 1965 - 1966.

line up:

A pity he didn't play on. Reminds me a bit of George Harrison with that 12 string guitar.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: December 8, 2023 19:28

his laughing at the beginning reminds me on the beginning of alternate of no expectations ...
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 9, 2023 01:25

His Majesty

line up:

The short extract of the recording is taken from the documentary film 'The Stones & Brian Jones'. There was debate as to whether the recording features Brian or Michael singing. Luckily, I was able to hear more of the recording and from this I was able to confirm it is Brian singing and playing a 12 string acoustic guitar.

Additionally, a friend recently met Bill Wyman at an event and personally asked him about who was singing on the recording. Surprised that there was debate, a startled Bill responded, "Of course it was Brian singing, he was trying to write a song."

Thanks! I was also wondering when I heard the tune in the documentary is that Brian singing or not. Great to have verification.

- Doxa

Date: December 10, 2023 14:06

Rocky Dijon
I love posts by His Majesty and posts by Mathijs. They both have helped make IORR the best Stones resource online. Can we please get a ceasefire in the hostilities so both can share their knowledge and passion here without forcing us into picking sides?

Just to get the record absolutely straight -there have been no hostilities or harassments from me to His Majesty/Phillip Johnston ever. I am not as big a fan of Brian Jones as he is, and he had a point that I could have stated this a bit less often on IORR. But no harassments, not here, not on his FB page and not on his Youtube page.

He also accused me of anonymous attacks, which I do not accept from him. Ever since this IORR board exists I have been posting under my own name, as I do on FB and on Youtube. If you want to send me a private message people know where to find me. If you want to talk to me personally you can do so at the gig in Chicago next year.

Mathijs

Date: December 12, 2023 06:49

Mathijs, my use of the expression "ceasefire of hostilities" referred to the back and forth between the two of you and not any accusations made by one party. Both of you please let it go and just be the two brilliant, passionate, articulate individuals you are and let IORRians enjoy the both of you for your valued contributions.

Date: December 12, 2023 18:54

His Majesty, how come on the Flowers Album, Brian is the only flower stem with no petals ? Why on the back cover of Hot Rocks is he the only one who looks like he is about to fall off the wall.Also, on the inner sleeve of Beggar’s, Mick and Keith are enjoying the Banquet while Brian looks frustrated with a dog jumping on him.In the Child of the Moon video he is not with the band,but peering behind a tree.And on the Through the Past Darkly album photo., he is the only one lying on the ground with his eyes open.Were these inside jokes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-27 19:50 by Taylor1.

Date: December 13, 2023 00:00

What next? Why did Bill remove himself from the cover of RARITIES? Why are there only four thermographic photos on the cover of EMOTIONAL RESCUE? What does it all mean?

Date: December 13, 2023 00:48

Rocky Dijon
What next? Why did Bill remove himself from the cover of RARITIES? Why are there only four thermographic photos on the cover of EMOTIONAL RESCUE? What does it all mean?
Brian’s different image in those photos is totally different than Bill being airbrushed out of a photo

Date: December 13, 2023 03:35

I know, Taylor1, I was just having fun.

Date: December 13, 2023 13:07

The Stones didn't have anything to do with the release of Hot Rocks, so ABKCO would have to answer for that back cover, I guess.

Date: December 13, 2023 14:09

DandelionPowderman
The Stones didn't have anything to do with the release of Hot Rocks, so ABKCO would have to answer for that back cover, I guess.
That is irrelevant because it was the Stones themselves who decided they would be the poses for the picture

Date: December 13, 2023 14:55

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
That is irrelevant because it was the Stones themselves who decided they would be the poses for the picture

They didn't pick the photos from the shoot for the album, though.

Date: December 27, 2023 18:15

His Majesty
Mathijs

So Brian smashed a guitar in 1969 that he gave away in late 1965, and after being played throughout the 1970's ended up with full provenance with an UK collector? Wow man.

Brian played both his reverse and non reverse Gibson Firebird VII guitars during the summer 1966 US tour. The Rolling Stones still have the non reverse VII. The reverse VII used in 1966 was the same one he played in 1965. The woodgrain matches.

Lots of collectors have things that aren't or might not be what they believe them to be and they are often very resistant to info which casts doubt regarding what they have, usually, spent a lot of money on.

So, if the provenance say's Brian gave the reverse VII away in late 1965, perhaps that provenance is out by 6 months or it is just dubious.

If anyone is interested: I found the pics and the name of the collector who owns Brian's 1963 Firebird VII that he bought from a direct link to the Stones.

If someone can upload the pics to IORR I will add the information I have.

Mathijs

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 27, 2023 18:54

Taylor1
His Majesty, how come on the Flowers Album, Brian is the only flower stem with no pedals? Why on the back cover of Hot Rocks is he the only one who looks like he is about to fall off the wall.Also, on the inner sleeve of Beggar’s, Mick and Keith are enjoying the Banquet while Brian looks frustrated with a dog jumping on him.In the Child of the Moon video he is not with the band,but peering behind a tree.And on the Through the Past Darkly album photo., he is the only one lying on the ground with his eyes open.Were these inside jokes?

not a real answer (and his majesty please come back) but i also wonder why brian in the child of the moon video is creepily learing from behind a tree

Date: December 27, 2023 22:01

His Majesty
Mathijs
The Firebird now has a refinished body, all else original. Patterns of the inlays and grain of the wood match with Brian's guitar.

Mathijs

Believe it when I see it, but I won't see it.

Who refinishes a guitar with such a connection? You previously said the wood grain wasn't visible because of the refinish. I asked how do they know it's Brian's then? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

As it turns out, it was not refinished but had a broken headstock only. It was Keith's Flying V that had refinish work done.

Mathijs

Date: December 27, 2023 22:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-28 12:47 by Mathijs.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516
Current Page: 16 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home