Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 16
Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 10, 2023 11:37

Taylor1
Brian had really 1, maybe 2 bad years fron1967 to 1969.In not a forelorn conclusion that had he lived he would not have got himself together and gone on to make good music.He was as instrumental as anyone in creating the sound of the Stones and was a fine musician.

Brian's complication was very much like Mick Taylor's complication -brimmed with talent, wasted by alcohol and drugs, stifling insecurity, and a complete lack of drive and energy.

Mathijs

Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: February 10, 2023 12:00

Rocky Dijon
Taylor1
It seems with [DandelionPowderman] any song where Keith is not the primary creator you don’t have good things to say about it

Clearly you've never seen Bard go on about how much he loves "Too Much Blood." It's the one time I question why I still send him Christmas cards.

grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 13, 2023 17:14

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 19, 2023 04:39

His Majesty
Taylor1
Question for His Majesty: Is Brian’s guitar audible on the Jumping Jack Flash promovideo , by Michael Lindsay Hogg,not the one where they have makeup on , but the one Brian has a short sleeve shirt on.

My work in progress, semi-conclusion is that Brian's guitar is not heard in any truly audible way on the studio version or the 'live' version for the JJF promo video.

You will find many people think the jangly guitars on the studio version are by Brian. I am 99% certain they are actually by Keith.
I just listened to it without vocals and drums and I could clearly hear 2guitars playing.One was the high note jangly guitar as heard on the single.So that must be Brian unless Keith overdubbed both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-19 12:25 by Taylor1.

Date: February 20, 2023 16:33

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:17 by His Majesty.

Date: February 20, 2023 17:45

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:17 by His Majesty.

Date: February 20, 2023 18:13

Thanks for the great information and analysis

Date: February 20, 2023 19:05

His Majesty

Why would Keith not play the jangly guitar parts as per the studio recording live? Because to play them as per the studio version requires being tuned to open E etc.

The jangly guitar lines on the studio version can be played in both Open E tuning and in standard tuning, as you need the jangling B-string topped with the theme on the E string. If Brian had played this on the studio version he would have played it live for sure.

And, the jangly lines dure aren't the most technically challenging to play but are far more technical or difficult than anything Brian has played after, say, 1966, when he lost interest in the guitar. What he played on the RnR circus is mind boggling basic and awkward.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-20 19:11 by Mathijs.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: February 20, 2023 21:16

Mathijs
What he played on the RnR circus is mind boggling basic and awkward.

It's the sum of the parts that counts, JJF @ Circus has a unique, dark and menacing sound that has not been repeated in later eras, thanks to Brian too. Not sure why you think his playing is awkward, his playing is close to the main riffs. Is JJF itself basic ? Again it's the sum of the parts and their delivery.

Another great version would be the MSG '69 breakfast show with MT's wonderful support, but quite different from the Circus version.

Date: February 21, 2023 01:36

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:17 by His Majesty.

Date: February 21, 2023 01:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:18 by His Majesty.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 21, 2023 02:46

Hi HM, I know this has been discussed before, can't remember if you posted anything. On the 25x5 VHS that came out around 1990ish, on the YCAGWYW clip from R'n'R Circus, you can clearly hear Brian's(?) guitar strumming as well as Keith.
Several have said that was Keith overdubbing Brian's part. Any thoughts?

Date: February 21, 2023 11:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:18 by His Majesty.

Date: February 21, 2023 12:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:19 by His Majesty.

Date: February 21, 2023 12:34

Date: February 21, 2023 12:39

Date: February 21, 2023 12:49

Date: February 21, 2023 15:10

skytrench
Mathijs
What he played on the RnR circus is mind boggling basic and awkward.

It's the sum of the parts that counts, JJF @ Circus has a unique, dark and menacing sound that has not been repeated in later eras, thanks to Brian too. Not sure why you think his playing is awkward, his playing is close to the main riffs. Is JJF itself basic ? Again it's the sum of the parts and their delivery.

I agree Brian's playing isn't that awkward on JJF, but his tone and approach is. Much more awkward is his playing on YCAGWYW, both in tone, approach and the chords he choose.

Mathijs

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: February 21, 2023 21:52

I can't complain about Brian's input in the Circus, nothing awkward, flashes of brilliance, I liked the sinister vibe he adds to JJF, the heavy blues shuffle on PW and the original way of playing the YCAGWYW chords, he worked that out well.

Date: February 21, 2023 22:21

video: [youtu.be]His Majesty, Can you tell me if Brian is playing either of the guitars on the promo video or did Keith overdub the other

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-21 22:25 by Taylor1.

Date: February 23, 2023 12:41

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:20 by His Majesty.

Date: February 23, 2023 13:39

I am still a bit puzzled on Brian's sound oon the RnR Circus. Was he really meant to sound like this? Wasn't this a technical glitch the only found out about during play-back? Could this be part of the reason they didn't like the recording and shelved it for 35 years?

I mean, they spent two days rehearsing and recording, for sure the engineer, the producer, or the Stones would have said to Brian his sound was way off, his microphone broken or whatever? According to Bill Wyman the Circus was incredibly expensive, and then you end up with the guitarist sounding like this?

Mathijs

Date: February 23, 2023 13:51

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:20 by His Majesty.

Date: February 23, 2023 14:27

Mathijs
I am still a bit puzzled on Brian's sound oon the RnR Circus. Was he really meant to sound like this? Wasn't this a technical glitch the only found out about during play-back? Could this be part of the reason they didn't like the recording and shelved it for 35 years?

I mean, they spent two days rehearsing and recording, for sure the engineer, the producer, or the Stones would have said to Brian his sound was way off, his microphone broken or whatever? According to Bill Wyman the Circus was incredibly expensive, and then you end up with the guitarist sounding like this?

Mathijs

Sounds like he forgot to turn the treble on on his guitar.

Date: February 27, 2023 15:04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:20 by His Majesty.

Date: February 27, 2023 15:10

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Sounds like he forgot to turn the treble on on his guitar.

Simple as that. Strange he or they didn't notice it on the spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-27 15:14 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 27, 2023 15:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:21 by His Majesty.

Date: February 27, 2023 15:27

His Majesty
Maybe it's intentional. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out It is only like that on two songs.

That would be interesting. Maybe it took Brian two songs to notice it .cool smiley

Date: February 27, 2023 15:57

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:21 by His Majesty.

Date: February 27, 2023 16:15

Whatever happened, it works perfectly well -after giving it another listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-27 16:17 by TheflyingDutchman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home