Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 28
Re: New dvd release: Voodoo Lounge Uncut
Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 23, 2018 07:01

Beggars Banquet Vol.3 #23 says that Sympathy went into the set at the 2nd Vegas show (10/15/94) and Love Is Strong got moved up in the set. Although not played that night, Dead Flowers and Sweet Virginia are great alternatives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 07:05 by nick.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 23, 2018 08:22

DandelionPowderman

You believe all the people the Stones were hanging with in the 70s were better people, regarding sex with underaged girls?

WTF is wrong with you?you think the Stones and the people they hung out with were no better than a guy who drugged and raped a kid?
If I thought that I sure wouldn’t be anywhere near their fan site that’s for sure.SMH

Anyway,they should use the vault series for something rare,that Miami pay per view was ok but there were way better shows on voodoo.
I was at both those Vegas shows and either of them would have been a better choice.
They were doing stadiums and MGM was 13,500 and their first time playing in LV,epic shows.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 23, 2018 10:45

keefriff99

I think they were playing Sympathy every night that tour...they probably dropped Love is Strong for the duets with Robert Cray and Bo Diddley.

Yep, according to the Setlist November 1994: [iorr.org] , but they omitted SFTD from 1-Aug-1994 until 15-Oct-1994: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 18:20 by Irix.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 15:09

Irix
keefriff99

I think they were playing Sympathy every night that tour...they probably dropped Love is Strong for the duets with Robert Cray and Bo Diddley.

Yep, according to the Setlist November 1994: [iorr.org] .

They skipped Sympathy for the first months of the tour and started playing it in Vegas mid october. After that show it was in every stadium setlist until 2003 or so.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 23, 2018 15:35

You’re right. Sympathy relaxed love is strong

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 16:14

Bashlets
Interesting. I only looked at the IORR set list tab for November and saw Sympathy had been played every show that month leading up to the PPV. Didn't realize they started the tour not playing it.

They actually added Sympathy about 10 weeks into the tour but kept Love Is Strong...it was only for the PPV that they dropped LIS.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 23, 2018 16:17

I'm wondering why they have chosen Miami, they broadcast Rio in 95, Johannesburg in 95, Tokyo Dome in 95 all of which are great shows. Rio being epic, Maracana going bananas.

The ROIO/Vids are probably more loved anyway as they are i guess, although i'd love to see one of these at 60fps to enrich the texture of the footage

Date: August 23, 2018 16:23

keefriff99
Bashlets
Interesting. I only looked at the IORR set list tab for November and saw Sympathy had been played every show that month leading up to the PPV. Didn't realize they started the tour not playing it.

They actually added Sympathy about 10 weeks into the tour but kept Love Is Strong...it was only for the PPV that they dropped LIS.

They only performed it twice on the euro leg in 1995. When they finally played it in Norway in 1998, I was in the US. Missed it! Hope they'll play it one day..

Date: August 23, 2018 16:39

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Bashlets

They only performed it twice on the euro leg in 1995. When they finally played it in Norway in 1998, I was in the US. Missed it! Hope they'll play it one day..
Looks like the song was essentially dropped starting with the Australia/New Zealand leg. It was played at most shows in North/South America in '94/early '95.

It's a great album song with a GREAT video, but it didn't entirely work live. Maybe it's too atmospheric and sparse...it just doesn't have enough drive, particularly on a big stage.

Date: August 23, 2018 16:48

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Bashlets

Looks like the song was essentially dropped starting with the Australia/New Zealand leg. It was played at most shows in North/South America in '94/early '95.

It's a great album song with a GREAT video, but it didn't entirely work live. Maybe it's too atmospheric and sparse...it just doesn't have enough drive, particularly on a big stage.

Agreed. They made it work here (on a smaller stage), though (imo).

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 23, 2018 16:55

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Bashlets

[www.youtube.com]
Ha, that MTV performance is what got me into the Stones in the first place. I can still remember watching it as a teenager and thinking, "Damn, these skinny old guys ROCK!"

Date: August 23, 2018 16:57

thumbs up

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 23, 2018 16:58

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Bashlets

[www.youtube.com]

Keith should have sung it Live, imo it would have been stunning

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 23, 2018 17:03

Love is Strong. Stones, maybe, last attempt to sound contemporary. Probably a Mick song. I know that many likes this song. I'm not one of those.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 17:19

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for the video, I had forgotten its existence. I love Keith's moves around 1:45. But I think the studio track has never worked live. Maybe because of the vocals. Mick is clearly struggling at the beginning to keep it as low as possible.

All the studio versions we have are so wonderful, though. Such a good sound, so sensual winking smiley

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: August 23, 2018 17:52

Date: August 23, 2018 17:56

Stoneage
Love is Strong. Stones, maybe, last attempt to sound contemporary. Probably a Mick song. I know that many likes this song. I'm not one of those.

It was criticised for its retro-sound.

Try Anybody Seen My Baby, Might As Well Get Juiced or Gunface.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 23, 2018 20:08

Stoneage

In the context of the whole album (and much of the latter era really), it is one of the stronger songs - but the video was even better than the song itself.
Sort of a Land of the Giants meets King Kong meets Godzilla meets Attack of the 50 Foot Woman meets the Stones.

Love is Strong

Date: August 24, 2018 09:29

lem motlow
DandelionPowderman

You believe all the people the Stones were hanging with in the 70s were better people, regarding sex with underaged girls?

WTF is wrong with you?you think the Stones and the people they hung out with were no better than a guy who drugged and raped a kid?
If I thought that I sure wouldn’t be anywhere near their fan site that’s for sure.SMH

Anyway,they should use the vault series for something rare,that Miami pay per view was ok but there were way better shows on voodoo.
I was at both those Vegas shows and either of them would have been a better choice.
They were doing stadiums and MGM was 13,500 and their first time playing in LV,epic shows.

Don't be naive..

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 24, 2018 10:43

Love is Strong, probably my favorite modern era song. However they never perfected it live in my opinion. Still I love Voodoo Lounge and the tour. I Go Wild hot smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 24, 2018 13:05

Miami 1994.....it was a real letdown back in 94/95 when the bootlegs came out, due to the soundquality, the speech by Whoopy, the playing/mood (no mood) and the hopes I had, when reading the setlist in Basement News.
And I understand that New Orleans 1994 was ruined on the broadcast, due to some mistake by the engineers.....but why on earth broadcast Miami 1994 on the TV as it sound like it does?
Even though the band ain't exactly in overdrive, the official Voodoo Lounge Video from East Rutherford 1994 was the only one I ever gave more than 3 spins out of the first couple of 94/95 bootlegs.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: August 24, 2018 13:11

Erik_Snow
Miami 1994.....it was a real letdown back in 94/95 when the bootlegs came out, due to the soundquality, the speech by Whoopy, the playing/mood (no mood) and the hopes I had, when reading the setlist in Basement News.
And I understand that New Orleans 1994 was ruined on the broadcast, due to some mistake by the engineers.....but why on earth broadcast Miami 1994 on the TV as it sound like it does?
Even though the band ain't exactly in overdrive, the official Voodoo Lounge Video from East Rutherford 1994 was the only one I ever gave more than 3 spins out of the first couple of 94/95 bootlegs.

yes and no. although horrible in sound and NYC94 being much better in sound, I remember the huge upgrade in playing compared to the tour start I witnessed in
Washington DC.
of course, not to compare to the huge upgrade in sound and performance in 1995.
on the VL Tour they just got better and better, being at the top in july 1995.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 24, 2018 13:30

falo01
yes and no. although horrible in sound and NYC94 being much better in sound, I remember the huge upgrade in playing compared to the tour start I witnessed in
Washington DC.
of course, not to compare to the huge upgrade in sound and performance in 1995.
on the VL Tour they just got better and better, being at the top in july 1995.

True, that, some of the 1995 shows were the best shows ever after 1982

Date: August 24, 2018 14:49

Yeah, 1995 was amazing. Never understood why they didn't record any of those shows. Same could be said for the Bridges to Babylon.

Date: August 24, 2018 14:53

frankotero
Yeah, 1995 was amazing. Never understood why they didn't record any of those shows. Same could be said for the Bridges to Babylon.

The Chile-show was broadcasted on the radio, no?

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: August 24, 2018 14:55

Yes sr

Date: August 24, 2018 15:02

Sorry, I should have said European Tour. You can add other SBDs like Tokyo (my favorite) and some more South America cities too.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 24, 2018 15:36

frankotero

Mick said in 1995 that the Stones record and film every show.........

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: August 24, 2018 16:16

Stoneage

It's all Keith. Evolved from Wicked As It Seems.You hear it clearly in early takes. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: August 24, 2018 16:21

frankotero
Sorry, I should have said European Tour. You can add other SBDs like Tokyo (my favorite) and some more South America cities too.

well of course we got the club shows officially received.
but talking about stadiums sure, like Eddie said, they recorded every show
from 1989 onwards, so they could every show, if they would like.

if Karnbach reads that, I want both Basle95 shows to be released, lol.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2237
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home