Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 26 of 30
Re: London Stadium show-1 UK 22-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 24, 2018 14:38

I love the reviews by both DandelionPowderman and doxa..

I only want to add that to me, it was especially evident that Keith's soloing on

Sympathy was way better than so many recent versions of the song. I heard a very direct quote of the fast snarl of a lick from the studio original. He sure was not playing from any auto-pilot mode.

So many aspects of this concert made it a rich display of a band that has more history, more great songs, and more humanity than any other.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 14:44

Who cares about the mistakes - it was a great night and I had a good time. Memories to last!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 24, 2018 14:57

It's been a great gig indeed. I'm surprised to read so much negativity about it. I totally loved it (Just Midnight Rambler was maybe a little slow.).

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 24, 2018 15:14

Wild Slivovitz wrote: "It's been a great gig indeed. I'm surprised to read so much negativity about it"

An experienced IORRian like you shouldn't be surprised, WS. All of us know that some folks here want to be crushing critics, regardless of the quality of the performances. And, who knows, some of these folks maybe try to use their personal criticism as counterweight to the general acceptance (UK Press is full of enthusiastic reviews) that the Stones remain great on stage.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 24, 2018 15:18

DandelionPowderman

A great night, and a fabulous show!

It certainly was DP thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 15:25

laertisflash
Wild Slivovitz wrote: "It's been a great gig indeed. I'm surprised to read so much negativity about it"

An experienced IORRian like you shouldn't be surprised, WS. All of us know that some folks here want to be crushing critics, regardless of the quality of the performances. And, who knows, some of these folks maybe try to use their personal criticism as counterweight to the general acceptance (UK Press is full of enthusiastic reviews) that the Stones remain great on stage.

this has always been the case and is even now, even on IORR:

The Rolling Stones: Are you for or against?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 15:47 by 1962.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2018 15:26

duke richardson

Thanks, but my 'review' was just based on watching (exceptionally good) youtube clips, so it doesn't really matter (and I concentrated solely on Jagger's performance, which was about the only feature one could be somehow 'objective' about from that base). But Dandie's does!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 15:28 by Doxa.

Date: May 24, 2018 15:39

duke richardson

I only want to add that to me, it was especially evident that Keith's soloing on

Sympathy was way better than so many recent versions of the song. I heard a very direct quote of the fast snarl of a lick from the studio original. He sure was not playing from any auto-pilot mode.

So many aspects of this concert made it a rich display of a band that has more history, more great songs, and more humanity than any other.

We stood next to eachother - how's your review, Dillard? It's been 13 years, right, since you last saw them in concert? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 15:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 24, 2018 16:34

DandelionPowderman
duke richardson

We stood next to eachother - how's your review, Dillard? It's been 13 years, right, since you last saw them in concert? winking smiley

well, it seems I share your viewpoint, literally!

my only very slight disappointment was that, knowing Monkey Man was rehearsed, I was really hoping they would play it.
But Fool to Cry ..gorgeous, completely unexpected (at least I sure didn't expect it).
I watched for what I think of as 'Stones moments' ..the between songs bantering, the interaction of Mick and Keith.. so many but you have to concentrate some to catch them.
I'm glad you cleared up the cord malfunction, I didn't see that Keith got an instrument cable to replace his wireless, after the intro and into Midnight Rambler. Clearly they were disrupted, and then set about making amends by fierce playing ... although I also didn't care for the "yo yo yo" singalong section. we will see if Jagger persists in doing it.
Loved being with you all. And I'm definitely still buzzed from our gig in the Hope & Anchor.

Date: May 24, 2018 16:39

thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 24, 2018 16:44

DandelionPowderman
Instead of bickering, I'll post my review here:

The Stones at their home turf, kicking off with Street Fighting Man – it doesn’t get better than that! We were all taken by surprise, and the sheer power of the song, combined with its London references, really did the trick.

London Stadium was beautiful, and the logistics worked pretty well. The sound was a bit passing (from General Admission, right in front of the yellow tents). However, what we heard was crisp and clear, and I was glad to hear Darryl loud and clear. That isn’t always the case.

Highlights of the evening were Street Fighting Man, Ride ‘Em On Down, a jawdroppingly beautiful Fool To Cry and (surprisingly) Sympathy For The Devil.

Keith had some sound problems when he was about to kick off Midnight Rambler. The sound came and went. Something with the wireless sound system wobbled, and he finally plugged in a cable to make sure the sound was right. Apart from the halting start, Rambler developed to be quite a showstopper: The boys went into new territories during the song, like only the Stones can. However, the fabulous mid-section was somewhat tainted by Mick starting a singalong, suspisciously similar to a Police-track I can’t remember here and now («…Ee, yaw, yaw, yaw…»).

Keith’s set was good, but not great. He had some trouble hitting the high notes this time, but his performance was heartfelt and soulful, as always.

For the nerds: Keith dropped his pick a few times (on Honky Tonk Women and Slipping Away, among others), leading to a few licks missing here and there. For guitar players that can be a nightmare, but Keith took it with a huge grin on his face.

It was good seeing the boys in London, and everybody could tell they loved every minute of it themselves.

Ron Wood had a fabulous night, and played like a God on the songs where he takes the solos. Ride ‘Em On Down and Fool To Cry were particularly good. Mick Jagger is immortal and is singing really well these days. Keith had a great night. Charlie’s sound faded a bit in and out, but what I heard was solid.

A great night, and a fabulous show!

thumbs up DP @ the Stones wooooo hoooooo

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: May 24, 2018 17:46

Wild Slivovitz
It's been a great gig indeed. I'm surprised to read so much negativity about it. I totally loved it (Just Midnight Rambler was maybe a little slow.).

And as usually most of the negative comments and opinions are from people who weren't at the gigeye rolling smiley

Rolling Stones - London 22-May-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 24, 2018 18:05

Five star review in The Independent:

Rolling Stones UK tour review: 'The one and only rock and roll band' conquer London with astounding flair

A 66,000 strong crowd gathered on a warm May eve to pay tribute to their idols

Rex

C Jane Hall Wallace
Thursday 24 May 2018

And so the Rolling Stones came home to London. To conquer and vanquish any doubts about their eternal youth, vigour, and evanescence in their later years.

At the London Stadium with this one and only rock and roll band, it is possible to see all of music poetry and art play out - we see tragedy and comedy alternate as per Shakespearean tradition - the audience is taken through highs, tender lows, laughter and jubilation, at a show delivered with a flair that astounds and delights.

This 66,000 strong crowd of fans gather on a warm May eve to pay tribute to their idols. Mick Jagger is omnipresent, bursting onto the enormous stage in a silver, black and red jacket to the rumbling strains of "Street Fighting Man", moving directly into "It's Only Rock and Roll" then soothing us with "Tumbling Dice", prompting roars with those opening notes of "Paint it Black".

They raise the tempo with the drawn-out chant of "You Can’t always Get What You Want", which lasted almost 16 minutes sung with the crowd.

Jagger is by now stripped down to his black rhinestone shirt hanging loosely on his skinny frame; Keith Richards resplendent in his turquoise green top with matching trainers - the colour of the waters in Turks and Caicos, which has been his beach retreat over the years. Those dark eyes flash, he watches everyone in the crowd as he strums his Fender Telecaster, his image mirrored, giantlike, on a huge plasma screen.

The time tested method of Ronnie Wood’s pairing with Richards; the weaving double-playing method makes for the best guitar music in the business, through "Jumpin’ Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar", before things get serious on "Gimme Shelter". Darryl Jones holds down the beat with his bass on "Satisfaction". Even Charlie Watts looks happy and smiling.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Rolling Stones - London 22-May-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 24, 2018 18:10

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 19:09

bobo
Wild Slivovitz

And as usually most of the negative comments and opinions are from people who weren't at the gigeye rolling smiley

That certainly seems to be the truth. I get frustrated coming onto a concert thread and have to read through loads of comments from people that were not even at the gig. I want to know the opinion of the people who were there, not someones opinion of a Youtube clip.

BV really needs to think about having a separate thread for Youtube clips (And what people think of them) for each gig.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 24, 2018 19:19

dnewton99
matxil
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Fool to Cry is the weak link of the show imo, and in the video posted seemed like a buzz kill for a majority of the crowd.
Almost would prefer the more up-tempo Emotional Rescue w/falsetto (God forbid), but nah....at least Fool has a cool '70's groove going for it.

It was a highlight, and people went crazy when Mick stopped singing and towards the ending, as we also can hear in the YT-video..

I guess that depends if you like the song in the first place.
Not one of my favorites by a long shot, and probably the weakest track on Black and Blue IMO.

Well, I have never been very fond of Fool To Cry, it's not the weakest on B&B (that's either Hot Stuff, Negrita, Cherry Oh Baby or Memory Hotel) but it's a song I could easily never listen to again. But the live version I heard on YouTube of the London concert is rather good, I think, and I think I would have enjoyed it when I'd have been at the concert myself.

Yeah... I only marginally like Fool to Cry (I don't like ballads from any band) and I did enjoy it. Live music is always a joy to me.

I dunno...I've seen them play many songs over the years where I didn't like the studio version to begin with, and hearing/seeing it played live never really swayed me to all of the sudden enjoy it.

To name a few:

Emotional Rescue
Mixed Emotions
Don't Stop
Infamy
Streets of Love
Doom and Gloom
Etc., etc., etc.

For me these are all filler, and the particular show would have been much better with something better in their place. And while a couple of those might have been elevated a bit in a live experience, they were still annoying. We all have different tastes and reasoniing for what we like at a Rolling Stones concert (or any concert), and just because something is played live doesn't all of the sudden make it enjoyable. I would never resort to throwing rotten tomatoes and/or booing as I know many people enjoy that stuff, but for me they took up precious time in a limited setlist. Pretty sure I'd feel the same way if Fool to Cry was played, but to each his own. All that said, looking at the list of turds I mentioned above, I'd probably rather be stuck with Fool to Cry in the setlist than any of those others. And I'll admit that even though it's the weakest on Black and Blue, it's far from the worst Stones song ever - it's better than 95% of Stones originals from the last 35 years.

matxil
Fool To Cry, it's not the weakest on B&B (that's either Hot Stuff, Negrita, Cherry Oh Baby or Memory Hotel)

I agree about Negrita and Cherry Oh Baby being inferior, but Memory Hotel is superior, and Hot Stuff is the second best tune on the album with Hand of Fate being the best IMO.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 24, 2018 19:36

Thanks, DP for your review from an eyewitness!

A question for you: What do you mean here on Mick Jagger's voice? "Mick sings way better today than on Brussels Affairs, but the sound of his voice is poorer." You mean he has lost a richness or depth of tone or what, but yet interprets the songs better, with more variety?

Doxa, always interesting. Were you in attendance at the shows where you say Mick last showed his full physical powers?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 24, 2018 19:58

To compare Brussels era Stones vs. today...a 45 year difference....hmmmm...without saying one is better than the other, there is some obvious differences imo.

First of all, the skill levels of all have drastically changed.
Keith no longer plays at the same level which should be obvious.
Ronnie Wood is no Mick Taylor, and that's not a knock on Ronnie.
Charlie played with a ferocity that is no longer possible.
Mick is more subdued and restrained today than when he was back then.
Back then the keyboards were embellishments, today Chuck is too upfront.
They were playing still new original songs back then while today the newest original song is 30 years old.
The overall energy level back then was off the charts like a raging thunderstorm, while today they're more like a nice comfy wool blanket.
The unevenness of back then was due to the out of control energy, while today any unevenness is due to dimninishing skill levels.
Still enjoyable for some, yet very different on so many levels.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 20:17

Hairball >grinning smiley< Realistic fan.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 22:23 by powerage78.

Date: May 24, 2018 20:19

angee
Thanks, DP for your review from an eyewitness!

A question for you: What do you mean here on Mick Jagger's voice? "Mick sings way better today than on Brussels Affairs, but the sound of his voice is poorer." You mean he has lost a richness or depth of tone or what, but yet interprets the songs better, with more variety?

Doxa, always interesting. Were you in attendance at the shows where you say Mick last showed his full physical powers?

Hi Andee! I mean that he is technically superior today, but some facets of his tone have detoriated. Age may do that to us. I'd say his range is still impressive, though (listen to the third verse of SFM from London).

Posted by: nankerzrk ()
Date: May 24, 2018 20:41

I almost feel like he is more conservative now, more wary of not pushing himself too much

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 24, 2018 20:43

Reading the review of "Independent", I try to remember: It was "Independent" or other well known English newspaper ("Guardian", maybe?), which published a very negative article for a Stones gig, in 1999, at Wemblay Stadium? It was something about the band being moody (except Ronnie), about a "tragic" version of "Satisfaction", etc, etc. Just curious and trying to exercise my memory...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 24, 2018 21:13

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
It's interesting how uneven the Stones are nowadays. Listening to this show on youtube, a few songs like Street Fighting Man are really well performed and powerful, while Satisfaction is probably the worst version I've heard and Jumping Jack Flash is subpar.

I think one reason the youtube-critics are so quick to dismiss the show as crap is becasuse they just listened to one or two songs, while those who were at the concert heard all songs (including the highlights) and therefore got a different impression.

Even on Brussels Affair, JJF and ADTL are subpar. We forget that the Stones have always been a bit like that: "uneven".

I think one reason the youtube-critics are so quick to dismiss the show as crap is becasuse they just listened to one or two songs

I think you're right here.

That's what I dont get Dandie. Sometimes fans who love what they perform today say that there are bad versions of songs in 1972 or 1973 but cmon they were overall so incredibly better then that you cant really compare. Different bands, almost different genres of music. 1973 was the greatest live act ever in the history of rock. 1972 too. 2018 is a better version of 2017 which was horrible. To me they sound a lot better now than last year. But 1973 is something else. They could @#$%& up anything back then and it wouldnt matter.

Date: May 24, 2018 21:28

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
It's interesting how uneven the Stones are nowadays. Listening to this show on youtube, a few songs like Street Fighting Man are really well performed and powerful, while Satisfaction is probably the worst version I've heard and Jumping Jack Flash is subpar.

I think one reason the youtube-critics are so quick to dismiss the show as crap is becasuse they just listened to one or two songs, while those who were at the concert heard all songs (including the highlights) and therefore got a different impression.

Even on Brussels Affair, JJF and ADTL are subpar. We forget that the Stones have always been a bit like that: "uneven".

I think one reason the youtube-critics are so quick to dismiss the show as crap is becasuse they just listened to one or two songs

I think you're right here.

That's what I dont get Dandie. Sometimes fans who love what they perform today say that there are bad versions of songs in 1972 or 1973 but cmon they were overall so incredibly better then that you cant really compare. Different bands, almost different genres of music. 1973 was the greatest live act ever in the history of rock. 1972 too. 2018 is a better version of 2017 which was horrible. To me they sound a lot better now than last year. But 1973 is something else. They could @#$%& up anything back then and it wouldnt matter.

No one disagrees with that, and I'm not even comparing. Merely pointing out that they were uneven back then, too.

JJF from Brussels is NOT the ultimate JJF-version, for instance. I'm having a hard time believing that you, Doxa and Hairball really mean that.

I've just played Brussels A-Z. I know how good it is. But it isn't without its flaws. And Mick is not singing very good on many of the tunes.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 21:50

A lot of people who were not at the shows seem sour because they didn't take the chance. You're a fool if you go to a Stones show expecting tight musicianship and a band playing flawlessly. Their shows are about much more than just the playing (which is the only thing that can be judged by recordings/videos). Actually the atmosphere plays a much more important role at how memorable a show is.
Personally I go to a Tomatito concert when I want to see exceptional guitar playing and I go to a Vulfpeck show if I want to see an unbelievably tight band. But I go to a Stones show to have fun and after all they still hold the only key to their sound as a journalist recently put it.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 24, 2018 22:02

I think the mistakes are part of their charm, they could still be as good as they were 20 years ago but only if they did 80 date tours, so it is what it is, always a bit rusty, or because of their ages, a bit rusty and tired.
That's it basically.

Keith said last year at the end of the 14 date tour that he and Ronnie said to each other "but we are just getting into our stride"
The reason they cant play more frequently than twice a week and not tour for more than 14 shows is because Micks voice can't take it. FACT. His voice goes if its used too much.

IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 22:07 by keithsman.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 24, 2018 22:18

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 22:23

keithsman
I think the mistakes are part of their charm, they could still be as good as they were 20 years ago but only if they did 80 date tours, so it is what it is, always a bit rusty, or because of their ages, a bit rusty and tired.
That's it basically.

Keith said last year at the end of the 14 date tour that he and Ronnie said to each other "but we are just getting into our stride"
The reason they cant play more frequently than twice a week and not tour for more than 14 shows is because Micks voice can't take it. FACT. His voice goes if its used too much.

IT IS WHAT IT IS.

And i'd say keiths arthritus comes into it too its funny when you think though since 2012 they been touring every year i guess this is how it will be until they pack up i do wonder if they will ever play london again though

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 24, 2018 22:25

Thanks Cristiano

Nate thumbs up

Date: May 24, 2018 22:26

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 26 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home