Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031Next
Current Page: 28 of 31
Re: Dublin Ireland 17-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 19, 2018 02:05

Who was playing rhythm guitar while Keith wasn't during BTMMR?

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 19, 2018 02:21

Ronnie, mixing up chords with little lead fills.

I just watched some of the better videos on youtube that had decent sound.

The band was playing good and tight, Keith was outstanding.

Mick sounded good.

Nice job.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 19, 2018 02:35

I am chuckling (hope it doesn’t jinx me!) at the reviews (at least 3)
that had an obnoxious loud probably drunk ‘sing-er’ next to them-
I rarely go to shows but last Fall I was acutely aware not to sing/ or just mouth the words lightly/ because everyone is recording! Oh I know I can’t sing,
and the last thing I want to hear on a playback is myself!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 19, 2018 03:02

beachbreak

Mick sounded good.

Nice job.

I agree - [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 19, 2018 03:12

midimannz
beachbreak

Mick sounded good.

Nice job.

I agree - [www.facebook.com]

Nice work, midimannz! smileys with beer

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 19, 2018 04:17

gagiwh

Mick's latest squeezes?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2018 04:52

Not sure if posted yet - a praiseworthy review from Rolling Stone magazine:

Rolling Stones

"Another highlight was "Midnight Rambler." Jagger, who seemed to be pacing himself until this point,stalked the catwalk,jumping and ducking as he howled the murderous tale.
The rest of the band huddled in a close circle, in deep blues meditation. No other band can make a stadium feel like a blues club". thumbs up

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 19, 2018 05:37

It’s odd to me that people actually log in here to complain about a band in their 70’s. Set list complaints, missed notes, blah blah blah. How about complaining to God for letting them age? Between Charlie’s back and Keith’s hands, this tour is icing on a cake that should have ended years ago.

Here’s a clue. Last night was 10 times better than Hamburg.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: May 19, 2018 06:09

mpj200
It’s odd to me that people actually log in here to complain about a band in their 70’s. Set list complaints, missed notes, blah blah blah. How about complaining to God for letting them age? Between Charlie’s back and Keith’s hands, this tour is icing on a cake that should have ended years ago.

aint that the truth except for one thing . who is this God dude ?? last i heard he was doing a gig with some fish and bread or somesuch. (yes im goin to Hell ) but your are correct mate these jolly band of wandering minstrels lockley know as The Bloody Rolling Stones mate, so yer im gona take the icing from that bloody cake and enjoy it cause it aint gona come round again to town near you/me again.. well not on this scale anyway.. so enjoy and who gives a shit what cord keith plays in, hes just playing man . thats the point..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2018 06:24

Another praiseworthy review (pardon if already posted):

Rolling Stones

"They were mostly a a tightly drilled and professional juke box cabaret act of the Vegas residency variety
but occasionally this monied bar room band still achieved moments of fleeting grandeur and majestic decadence....
when they play a near 15-minute version of Midnight Rambler; it becomes an apocalyptic blues epic with the
stage and screens livid with crimson red as the carnage rains down
". thumbs up

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 19, 2018 07:51

mpj200

It’s odd to me that you would log onto this sight and complain about the complaints.when a band is grossing 10 mil a show that renders the “cut us some slack,we’re old “ defense null and void.
The naysayers have been very few actually,but it seems you’re not willing to listen to even one negative word.
Sorry this isn’t the Stones fan club in 1965 where we talk about the band members favorite colors.

Date: May 19, 2018 08:11

mpj200

Exactly, and Hamburg was also good.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 19, 2018 10:16

mpj200

10 times? Really? No way. All in all in Dublin they sounded as rusty as in Hamburg, but Hamburg had the better setlist.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 19, 2018 11:37

I didn't attend Hamburg or Dublin so it's hard to tell for certain. Looking at YouTube videos they appear to have started off playing better than they did in Hamburg. This is surely a great omen for this leg of the tour.

Also watching the videos from dublin I am very impressed by Sasha. She has learnt a lot from mick and looks to be having a great time. Dare I say I think I enjoy her rendition of Gimme Shelter to Lisa's? At least how Lisa sang it in later years.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 19, 2018 11:57

Here we go again...

UK Press is full of enthusiastic reviews, but here some folks are searching (in suspense, I would say) for "rusty" moments, to "justify" their criticism, which often turns to nihilism, or almost.

The gig had been shorted, due to the late start probably, and some people here seem ready to accuse the Stones even for the traffic problems in Dublin. The accusation No 3,456 maybe...

The shorted gig lasted two hours. The list has included 19 songs (personally I hope we 'll have at least 20 in London) and some guys here consider it as the end of the world. BTW, 19 songs was a regular list of Licks Tour, 13 years ago.

The Stones played in front of 70,000 people, which would be considered as strong number in every corner of the planet. Everywhere. Ticket prices should be lower of course. Especially in a country like Ireland, which has lived hard financial crisis and a kind of austerity, since 2011. But, despite the - unheard there- prices, despite the bad timing (as Gazza explained) the band attracted 70,000 people, which, IMO, is almost a triumph... And here some people are still complaining about the Stones who "have roughly sold the 70% of the tickets" (Have we to guess that they gave away for free 15,000 tickets ?!). Why? Because these fans want to found their criticism for the lists on an "impartial" factor. Not only on the subjective "enough is enough, I 'm done with the warhorses".

And at the same time we can see on Youtube a clip, concentrating on the seat section, when the Stones are playing "Satisfaction". People moving, loudly singing and smiling, everywhere...

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 19, 2018 12:00

I mean 15 years ago, of course (Licks Tour).

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 19, 2018 12:16

Seems to have been a good show, and I'm glad that:

- It's Only Rock N' Roll is about 10bpm faster than last year thumbs upthumbs up
- Keith didn't play any out of key notes on SFTD like in Hamburg last year - bodes well for the rest of tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-19 12:17 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: May 19, 2018 12:33

Any bootlegs of the gig around ??

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 19, 2018 12:36

Rokyfan
Mick's latest squeezes?

Nothing like a bit of casual sexism, eh?

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: May 19, 2018 12:47

IORR's played really fast, sounds great!

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: May 19, 2018 13:24

Some pictures from GC:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-19 13:30 by GeorgV.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: May 19, 2018 13:28

retired_dog
mpj200

10 times? Really? No way. All in all in Dublin they sounded as rusty as in Hamburg, but Hamburg had the better setlist.

Bullshit. Hamburg had the better set list but Dublin was a far, far better performance. In Hamburg they seemed a bit tentative and rusty- in Dublin they were super-tight, focussed and they rocked hard. I have seen them 40 times since 1995 and the Dublin show was in the top 5 for me.

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: May 19, 2018 13:36

john lomax
retired_dog
mpj200

Bullshit. Hamburg had the better set list but Dublin was a far, far better performance. In Hamburg they seemed a bit tentative and rusty- in Dublin they were super-tight, focussed and they rocked hard. I have seen them 40 times since 1995 and the Dublin show was in the top 5 for me.

Said by you,i think I can believe it!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 19, 2018 14:04

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-19 14:21 by Stoneage.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: May 19, 2018 14:16

Stoneage
All in all I would say a Rolling Stones concert is a borefest these days. Predictable setlists and arrangements. And less and less able musicians.
It's a bit like watching Borg and McEnroe on the veteran tour as opposed to watching them in 1977. It's them, but it's not the same anymore...

Actually, I find reading posts like this are the real borefest

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: May 19, 2018 14:22

Sorry Stones, I don't want to see you anymore. My first concert was Antwerp 1973 and my last was Arnhem 2017 and in between every European tour for several times. I have bought a ticket for Praag,Praha, 4-7-2018 FOS ticket and I decided not to go for such a setlist!(always 98% the regular songs).I better play a bootleg at home during the concert!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 19, 2018 14:24

You're right Syrel. I didn't add something that is not already said. So I erased it.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: May 19, 2018 14:40

Stoneage
You're right Syrel. I didn't add something that is not already said. So I erased it.

I wish I could win all arguments on here so easily cool smiley If you don't want to see them that's fine, it's your choice, and they are not exactly cheap. But clearly many people do still enjoy seeing them, and people on this board probably enjoy seeing them more than anyone else. So there doesn't seem much point in coming onto a message board just to tell them that the thing they like is no good (I'm not picking on you specifically Stoneage, especially in light of your good-natured reply, it's just the general trend that's tiresome). I don't mind reading critical engagement but saying 'they are old and boring' is not critical engagement, it's name-calling. Yes the Stones are predictable, but if we can predict what the show is going to be like and still think it is worth our time, effort and money, then we probably think it's pretty good. As I wrote in my mini-review, I think Dublin was a 'standard-good' Stones show, a decent show rather than anything spectacular. But there was still nowhere else on the planet I would have preferred to have been on Thursday evening.

Again, Stoneage, this isn't targeted at you personally - it's just that this thread has become a bit boring and I find that a bit frustrating.

syrel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-19 14:42 by syrel.

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: May 19, 2018 14:44

I can only speak for myself, but I cannot relate to all the complaining. True, the set list was a little bit of a down point, but, for me, the only one. I guess, most of the normal concert goers are waiting for the old warhorses, and can deal with a little odd song within the set, but would be rather turned off, if they only played rarities.
I enjoyed a great concert in Croke Park, although I draw a nosebleed on my LD (708 Cusack Stand), but I have never so far experienced such friendly steward and police and extraordinary well organized event. Everybody new there job, and where to direct you, no hour long queuing, with 10 minutes I was inside. Going up to the Upper Tier I noticed I would not be able to stay there for vertigo (man, this is high up!!!) So went down and turned to a steward who directed me to customer service, where a friendly lady assured me this problem could be solved and accompanied me to a tent where another friendly lady changed our tickets to Lower 316. A wee bit far away from the stage, but I was happy. When the Stones came on, I realized, that people around me were more interested in getting food an drinks than following the action on the stage. As it was freezing cold out there, just staying in my seat, I decided to take a walk after Ride EM all Down and round people coming and going to the food and drink stands, and none of the stewards giving a damn who went in and out, so i chose to have a look into 308 found people all dancing in the aisles, clapping and singing along, so decided to stay there.
The band played tight and focused, a little glitch here and there, but hey, it is a live show, and opening night. Compared to Munich last year (did not do Hamburg) they were way better, and a huge thumbs up from me for Keith changing his set. Always preferred BTMR to Happy, and The Worst is a real treat, though I could do without Bernard's backing vocals ...

Sue in Spain

My coat is torn and frayed, it's seen much better days, but as long as the guitar plays ....

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: May 19, 2018 14:45

i have a question..maybe someone can help me...It's just a curiosity but i noticed that in Wild horses, Keith used the electric guitar while, for example, in Copacabana he played an acoustic one (which i prefer!) thank you

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031Next
Current Page: 28 of 31

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2274
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home