Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 31
Re: Dublin Ireland 17-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: hilary ()
Date: May 18, 2018 10:13

But after all, how the tickets selling really bad? where LD located...did someone get Pit?

Date: May 18, 2018 10:20

keefriff99
Promoman2
Brown Sugar video: [youtu.be]
Nice version...wish it could be slightly more uptempo, but I understand why it's not.

A very good version.

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 10:21

Rip This
..good that KR mixed it up with The Worst....too bad Mick didn't surprise us and do back up vox...some of the best back up he's ever done with Stones is on The Worst....
Duetting with Bernard was excellent

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 18, 2018 10:25

LD's were all over the stadium. Somebody I know pulled uppers, me and my friend pulled lowers, some friends Pit. They made you pick up the envelope yourself.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 18, 2018 10:35

Was at the show and honestly thought Keith was good, it being opening night and all.

Pity we didn't get the 22-song Hamburg-esque opener but loved hearing Neighbours, The Worst, and yes, even Wild Horses. IORR had good tempo. Missed SFM down the stretch.

Thought Mick was saving his voice a bit at times.

All in all a fun day, good weather, friends old and new!

On to London tonight on Aer Lingus EI244.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 10:36 by Topi.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 18, 2018 10:43

I have absolutely nothing against Bernard, but I think Keith could have handled The Worst alone

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 18, 2018 10:45

Promoman2
Rip This
..good that KR mixed it up with The Worst....too bad Mick didn't surprise us and do back up vox...some of the best back up he's ever done with Stones is on The Worst....
Duetting with Bernard was excellent
Hmmm. Maybe it's the YouTube clip effect, but I thought that Bernard's vocals were a bit loud for backing and Keith was getting drowned out. Anyway, lovely to hear The Worst.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 11:01

Reportedly around 70.000 tickets were sold.
At these prices it's a big success isn't it

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 11:14 by 1962.

Date: May 18, 2018 11:10

Doc
I have absolutely nothing against Bernard, but I think Keith could have handled The Worst alone

He has always come to the mic to do the backing on TW - ever since 1994.

Would be nice if Mick did it instead, though smiling smiley

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: May 18, 2018 11:25

No, DandelionPowderman, in that time (Keith has his songs) Mick is doing other clothes and going to WC!

Posted by: rev20 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 11:26

conor mcgregor was there partying

DublinLive: UFC star Conor McGregor was one of the 70,000 people who were
in attendance as The Rolling Stones took to the Croke Park stage last night.
The Crumlin man was snapped laughing and singing in a private suite

It has been officially announced that Khabib Nurmagomedov, the admired russian
muslim champion will defend his title sept 15 in moscow olympic stadium

the only person who could fill that stadium is conor mcgregor. if and when
mcgregor is officially announced it will be the fight of the decade, at least,
and i will start an OT thread about it

the possible impediment is mcgregor is under indictment for attacking
khabib's bus in nyc and injuring several people with shattered glass.
but mcgregor is so popular with nyc's substantially irish police force
that many expect him to skate

let's settle this thing in the ring (octagon)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 12:10 by rev20.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 18, 2018 11:41

Cristiano Radtke
rev20
i just watched a bunch of the close-up vids with decent sound.

I guess they are from this YT user: [www.youtube.com]

And yes, they have a very decent sound. I'm arriving late to the party but I'm enjoying them. It looks like the folks who were at Croke Park have had a great concert.

Well, from what I've heard up till now, they sound a lot better than I expected. Keith sings really well on "Before They Make Me Run" and "Sympathy For The Devil" (by another poster I think) sounds almost exciting which is a miracle on itself. And Keith's solo is ok, which is better than could be said for a long time.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 18, 2018 12:01

And, may I add, Neighbours sounds like a lot of fun, in part thanks to how fast they play it and in part because Ronnie seems to have a really good time.

Date: May 18, 2018 12:10

matxil
And, may I add, Neighbours sounds like a lot of fun, in part thanks to how fast they play it and in part because Ronnie seems to have a really good time.

But it's limited how fun it can sound after the key-change, imo.

And I wish Keith would involve himself more on Neighbours.

Apart from that, it was really good. Better than on the Licks tour thumbs up

Date: May 18, 2018 12:20

From what I've heard so far, The Worst was by far their best performance of the night. Great version.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 18, 2018 12:31

Keith. The Worst

Oh man this just made me so high, he just is the song, he expresses the meaning in every word, the emotion, and that acoustic, just the highlight for me, a masterclass.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 12:32 by keithsman.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:02

Yeah that version of The Worst was terrific, pure class.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:07

enthusiastic reviews:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

[www.independent.ie]

[www.nme.com]

[www.rte.ie]

[www.irishtimes.com]

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 13:15 by 1962.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:07

Just a hurried look at Press: The "Telegraph" gives 4/5 stars. And "Sun" writes about "fabulous performance".

Date: May 18, 2018 13:08

Oh, I didn't see your post 1962!...

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:16

Had a great view of the stage but one of the most weirdest things happend. I had an empty seat next to me and 2 songs in a couple arrive ahs they decide to sit there and both in the same seat with her on his lap for the whole set of the show. They seemed out of it but were into the show and in left them off as they weren't obstructing my view.

Loved the setlist, Jumpin Jack Flash, Gimme Selter, Satisfaction and Start me up particular highlights for me. Support were ok but too young sounding and it should of been a more experienced band

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:22

keithsman
Keith. The Worst

[www.youtube.com]

When I was younger, certain songs had such an effect on me that the hairs on my arms would stand up whenever I heard them...
Sadly it hasn’t happened in years.

Until this.

Thank you for posting that video.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:31

Based on the YT clips I've seen so far.

Band was in good form, probably the best performance in an opening show in ages. The used us to getting better every successive show. If the trend is confirmed, I expect some terrific performances in the second half of this tour.

Worst is a song I don't love, but Keith nailed it.

I am sure that the 19 songs set is due to the fact that they had to shut up at 10.30

Audience seemed quite cold.

Set list, I agree, it needs some fresh air. Lots of fresh air. In particular the second half. But I am convinced that even a little change would do wonders. Just imagine if they opened the encore section with something like Around and Around ...

C

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:33

DandelionPowderman
matxil

But it's limited how fun it can sound after the key-change, imo.

And I wish Keith would involve himself more on Neighbours.

Apart from that, it was really good. Better than on the Licks tour thumbs up[/quote

Whilst it was great to see and hear Keith evidently more focused on rhythm-work during this performance of Neighbours, I do concur: he seems a little subdued. His playing on this track during the Licks tour renditions was more Berryesque noodling. It has the potential to be better now.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:36

Just back home after an early flight. A few thoughts (some of which may have been said already - haven't had time to read the thread yet)...

- I thought it was a good but not great show. It started really well, with an excellent SFTD, but then settled down into consistently good. I thought both Mick and Keith performed/played within themselves last night, making sure there were no major SNAFUs on the opening night. Not a great deal of engagement with fans in the pit from any of the band.
- was excited when TD was 2nd and PIB 3rd - maybe they had shaken things up a bit? - but obviously not. If the only major change is effectively swapping IORR and PIB in the setlist, I'd prefer IORR earlier as it's an excellent mood-setter.
- I wasn't expecting miracles with the setlist but, c'mon guys, surely you could have switched the blues numbers to some of the others from B&L???
- Very much enjoyed hearing Neighbours - surely a deliberate tongue in cheek reference to the Croke Park Residents Association - though I don't need to hear it again.
- Keith's set was great. Thought BTMMR suited him more than Happy last year, and loved The Worst (though can do without Bernard joining him centre stage).
- Charlie seemed in a very good mood throughout, breaking into giggles a couple of times.
- I hope the shorter set was just because of a curfew, would be gutted if SFM is removed from its permanent place in the set.
- Overall, it did not feel to me like the 'first show of a tour' - there wasn't that much that was ragged/too loose and not much by the way of surprise. Definitely felt to me like picking up on the previous tour.
- At show time, I would guess that the stadium was a little more than half full. But it seems that Dubliners turn up late - when I next turned around a few songs in, virtually all of the bottom sections were full, and the only real spaces were at the back in the top tier. If capacity was 80k, I'd guess maybe 60-65k there?
- ...But the pit was really empty. I walked in at 8pm and took a space on the second row, where I stayed all show. And I had a lot of space around me to dance. I have never known such a perfect combination (for me) of nearness and personal space. It's difficult to judge, but I'd guess pit B was 50-60% full. It was perfect except for the tone deaf Irish woman immediately behind me who insisted on screeching along to every song. I managed to enjoy the band regardless.

Hope this doesn't come across as too critical; I definitely enjoyed the gig but that was as much to do with my perfect spot as the performance. I thought the performance was neither 'start of a tour' ragged (and therefore interesting) nor 'top of their game' brilliant. It was just a good, solid Stones show.

syrel

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:38

I get the reason why many hardcore fans on here are bored with the setlist but you also have to understand why they play what they play. The Stones haven’t toured the UK in this manner for over a decade, they cater to the audience with that in mind.

They have to play the warhorses to give them value for money and the gig the casual expects. A gig which delights 1000 hardcore fans but alientates 69’000 others isn’t going to go down well

Date: May 18, 2018 13:44

Judging by the clips, I mean what I can listen to, yes, the band played tight. I don't feel any "lack of energy" as for their performance. Not at all.

As for the set list, common, they already played songs never performed during No Filter 1. Don't expect from the Stones to reject a list "policy" they have in ages. Actually, in the so called "glory days" the lists were much more predictable. I saw somewhere that they played 33 different songs, yes, only 33, on the entire 1978 tour. And only 37 on the 1981 tour.

But in 2012 - 13, they played 25 - 26 different songs on the five nights in England (two O2 gigs + Glasto + two Hyde Parks). So, if you want to complain about the Stones being "too predictable", stop using expressions like "NOW the became...",or "IN THE LAST years...".

Yes, I know the counterweight: In the past there was much more variety from tour to tour, as the lists were including many songs from the (every) new album. But talking about the gigs of every tour, the lists were ABSOLUTELY predictable.

In addition, I don't think that all of the fans were happy with the policy of "last album's list", then. A notable number of them considered the particular policy as very commercial. I know fans who have attended the 1981/82 tour and they would prefer to hear a bit more stuff from 60s or 70s instead of "Hang Fire" and "Neighbours"... No matter how great "Tattoo You" was. Times are changing, opinions are changing too…

There are "better choices" of course, always. But what is better for one fan is worse for another. As it seems, here we disagree even on the issue "B&L tracks"...

If some of you have done with the Stones, fine. It happens. If not, rock on and enjoy. The most charming, global party of the entire rock history gets near to its end. But it's still rocking and appealing. Don't miss the moment, don't miss the point, don't miss today what tomorrow will be a nice part of the best memories of our lives.

See you in Edinburgh, folks! (And maybe in Warsaw too).

Date: May 18, 2018 13:54

Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Ronnie working hard on his follow up art book, set lists part two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 13:56 by keithsman.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:56

The original Set list can be seen in the Background. He stopped Painting or after accidents

Date: May 18, 2018 13:59

Kurt
keithsman
Keith. The Worst

[www.youtube.com]

When I was younger, certain songs had such an effect on me that the hairs on my arms would stand up whenever I heard them...
Sadly it hasn’t happened in years.

Until this.
Thank you for posting that video

Same here Kurt, exactly, how does he do it, Mick's rest break and our toilet break has turned into the highlight of the show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 31

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home