Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 20
Re: 'The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016' - 15 June 2018
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 28, 2018 12:25

I'm definetely buying this one, having missed out on the 1971-2005 12 LP Box set from 2010.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 28, 2018 12:35

The Worst.

I'm definetely buying this one, having missed out on the 1971-2005 12 LP Box set from 2010.

And the 2018 Box set is much cheaper winking smiley

[www.Amazon.com] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.fr] , [www.Amazon.de]

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 28, 2018 12:59

Oef... that's insane!
The new box looks like a bargain!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-28 13:00 by GJV.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 29, 2018 05:07

Apparently the masters used for this box are not the Marcussen digital remasters : [forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Date: April 29, 2018 12:20

kowalski

Apparently the masters used for this box are not the Marcussen digital remasters : [forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Yep - if you read this article: [www.uDiscoverMusic.com] it looks like that Abbey Road engineer Miles Showell tries always to do his own (digital) Masters to achieve the best possible Audio-quality. Maybe the HD-Downlaods are derived from his Masters too.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 29, 2018 13:49

bye bye johnny

$373.99 & free shipping at popmarket.com

I tried to order this, but outside America it's no free p&p costs at all (you only discover this when you checking out), to The Netherlands it is $103,61 p&p costs, that's 85 euro, so there goes the benifit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-29 13:51 by GJV.

Date: April 29, 2018 14:25

At [www.Grooves.land] it's €365.28 / £321.45 / $444.91 (worldwide free delivery according to their website).

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 30, 2018 00:44

I`m looking forward to this release.I liked the sound of the released Exile -Abbeyroad release very much. So this box could be a great improvement soundwise.
Be sure to have a decent hifi system. Otherwise you won`t notice the soundimprovements.
I´m just curious if later the albums will be sold seperately how it happend with other boxsets/artists. So I don`t have to buy Exile twice and could pick some of the albums.
Usually albums in such a box set are packed very tight. Hope they manage that there is no damage cause of the real zipper ...the old storage problem winking smiley

Tom

Date: April 30, 2018 04:03

Given the hint by sound engineer Miles Showell posted at Steve Hoffman forums, Exile on main St won't be the same master as the previous EOMS half speed release.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 30, 2018 04:18

Irix
The Worst.

And the 2018 Box set is much cheaper winking smiley

[www.Amazon.com] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.fr] , [www.Amazon.de]

It's currently cheaper...however when it was first released I got it for about $150 US. For some reason this box set became more expensive than the 60s set. For the longest time 1964-69 was far pricier.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: April 30, 2018 11:04

It seems apart from Vinyl Box van has released an LP / CD compilation to promote the box is true

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 30, 2018 11:26

kowalski
Given the hint by sound engineer Miles Showell posted at Steve Hoffman forums, Exile on main St won't be the same master as the previous EOMS half speed release.

Thank You for the info,kowalski. I was just wondering nobody was asking this on 7 pages here. So we 'll get two different EOMS half-speed masters from AbbeyRoad within two years? Strange... but interesting to compare.

Tom

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: April 30, 2018 13:44

Hi,
I first said , I become sickness about re-re-issues.
Well.. I decided to buy one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-01 09:48 by tioms.

New Vinyl: Voodoo and Bridges: will they be available individually?
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: April 30, 2018 00:29

Will they?

Re: New Vinyl: Voodoo and Bridges: will they be available individually?
Date: April 30, 2018 15:57

I doubt any of the albums will be available individually. I haven't seen any of the 1971-2006 box set available separate other than at second-hand stores. That's how I got a nice copy of A Bigger Bang. My advice is to check independent/second-hand record stores/eBay the weeks or months following the release.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 30, 2018 16:13

Will mean disposition be on the Voodoo Lounge vinyl?
Can't believe I didn't buy the bridges and no security vinyl at the time. sad smiley
Did get the voodoo and stripped vinyls. But went CD in 1997.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 30, 2018 16:26

Whale
Can't believe I didn't buy the bridges and no security vinyl at the time. sad smiley

Mean Disposition was included on the 2010 reissue.
[www.discogs.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2018 08:31

Whale

I was fortunate that I kept up with the vinyl releases, thinking one day soon vinyl would be all gone. Who knew there'd be such an amazing renaissance?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 2, 2018 03:20

electricmud
kowalski

Thank You for the info,kowalski. I was just wondering nobody was asking this on 7 pages here. So we 'll get two different EOMS half-speed masters from AbbeyRoad within two years? Strange... but interesting to compare.

Tom

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 2, 2018 11:32

mick64
It seems apart from Vinyl Box van has released an LP / CD compilation to promote the box is true

Where have you gleened this info from??? ARE you saying some form of comp for THE STONES box IS coming???

Rod

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: May 2, 2018 12:32

Where have you gleened this info from??? ARE you saying some form of comp for THE STONES box IS coming???

****** Rod - love the missus, the Stones, Springsteen, Travel, NYC, Cars and Apple.
they are rumors I do not know if they are true

Date: May 2, 2018 14:30

mick64

Maybe an updated 'Jump Back: The Best of The Rolling Stones' as 2CD.

While the original 'Jump Back' (25 years now) was subtitled '1971-1993', a new compilation could contain the best Tracks from 1971-2016 then.

And Universal Music could use the red/blue Tongue&Lips logo from the 2018 Vinyl-Box as lenticular CD-Cover as well ....

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: May 2, 2018 16:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-06 04:37 by mariano.

Date: May 9, 2018 03:38

Good news from Steve Hoffman forums : [forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Date: May 9, 2018 14:00

kowalski

Indeed:

"Miles's response:

You are correct, for the first half speed cut I did for “Exile On Main Street” I was tied to the most recent remastered audio. This was a decision taken by the band’s management as it was the officially approved audio at that time. In an Ideal world I would have preferred to have had access to a flat transfer from the masters, but that was not available at that time.

The good news for this box however is that there was a very different approach. While I was not granted access to the original master tapes (some of which are getting pretty worn and should be used as little as possible to prevent further damage) I was loaned an archive hard disk by the management. On this disk were two separate sets of high resolution flat transfers from the master tapes for each album where the source was analogue tape (two or three of the later albums are digital recordings and these were digitally dubbed at their original sample rate to the hard disk). The two archive transfers were DSD and also 24 bit 192 kHz PCM (a few were 24 bit 176.4 kHz). I was told to listen to both and choose whichever one I felt was the best to use. In most cases the DSD transfer won, but not always. Once I had chosen, I was given free range to just ‘do my thing’ which was remarkable freedom. I had no instructions from the band’s management or from Universal other than to do it as well as I could. At no point was any digital peak limiting applied to these albums as this is never good for audiophile releases and is completely useless as a source for vinyl records (full scale digital audio is too loud to cut from, so it is pointless to smash it against the brick wall only to drop the level still further for the cut. Adding limiting would have been the worst of all worlds, increased distortion and “mush” with no level increase). On some songs I did apply some gentle tube compression (I have an analogue tube AT-101, which is a very faithful Fairchild 670 recreation, it sounds wonderful, almost certainly because of the 22 tubes in it). This compression was for artistic effect and feel and not to over hype the music and make it too pumped. I am no fan of extreme compression but like salt and pepper in cooking, a little bit carefully applied at the right time in the right quantity can really improve things.

I was also loaned a set of original pressings for every album which was an excellent reference point as I could play these on the calibrated system on the lathe while also listening to the files. My goal was to make these new cuts at least as good as the originals and hopefully better. This is not as easy as it sounds due to the wear on some of the tapes. Essentially, for the original cuts, the tapes were obviously in mint condition which is a huge advantage for the original pressings, but I have a far cleaner signal path than was available to the original cutting engineers which helped me. I am happy that I achieved my goal. Management and Universal did not listen to anything until the test pressing stage when the decision was taken to proceed, thankfully the feedback was good (had they not liked it, the box would almost certainly not be happening).

I hope all of the above answers your question and if you get a box that you are pleased with it. Just so you know, the latest album in the set was not remastered but all of the others have been worked on by me.

Best Wishes, Miles"

Miles Showell - [www.AbbeyRoad.com] - [www.uDiscoverMusic.com]

Date: May 9, 2018 14:30

It would be nice if Miles Showell would be allowed to give us a list of the archive transfers which he has used in the end for his Remasters.

For instance (imaginary):

1. Sticky Fingers - 2011 DSD flat transfer from original analogue tapes
11. Steel Wheels - 1989 digital Master, original sample rate 44.1kHz/16bit
15. Blue & Lonesome - 2016 Master, unedited

I was recently in contact with someone who has access to the original tapes but I got no answer yet about the recording format of the Master Tapes. Looks like it's intentionally a company secret of Universal Music so that they can sell us again the umpteenth Remaster in the future like Sony Music - [iorr.org] .... sad smiley

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: May 9, 2018 14:51

Irix
At [www.Grooves.land] it's €365.28 / £321.45 / $444.91 (worldwide free delivery according to their website).

Did anyone see it cheaper than this? Saw on grooves.land that the price is now 361,89 Euro (including shipment).

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: May 9, 2018 15:31

That´s a good question. 360€ is a decent price, much cheaper than on European Amazon... Any other offers as good as this one?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 9, 2018 15:31

jackflash27
Irix

Did anyone see it cheaper than this? Saw on grooves.land that the price is now 361,89 Euro (including shipment).
At the very 1st day, just after announcement, it was listed at amazon.com @ $179. some lucky guys managed to get it at this price.

Date: May 9, 2018 16:23

Irix
kowalski

Indeed:

"Miles's response:

You are correct, for the first half speed cut I did for “Exile On Main Street” I was tied to the most recent remastered audio. This was a decision taken by the band’s management as it was the officially approved audio at that time. In an Ideal world I would have preferred to have had access to a flat transfer from the masters, but that was not available at that time.

The good news for this box however is that there was a very different approach. While I was not granted access to the original master tapes (some of which are getting pretty worn and should be used as little as possible to prevent further damage) I was loaned an archive hard disk by the management. On this disk were two separate sets of high resolution flat transfers from the master tapes for each album where the source was analogue tape (two or three of the later albums are digital recordings and these were digitally dubbed at their original sample rate to the hard disk). The two archive transfers were DSD and also 24 bit 192 kHz PCM (a few were 24 bit 176.4 kHz). I was told to listen to both and choose whichever one I felt was the best to use. In most cases the DSD transfer won, but not always. Once I had chosen, I was given free range to just ‘do my thing’ which was remarkable freedom. I had no instructions from the band’s management or from Universal other than to do it as well as I could. At no point was any digital peak limiting applied to these albums as this is never good for audiophile releases and is completely useless as a source for vinyl records (full scale digital audio is too loud to cut from, so it is pointless to smash it against the brick wall only to drop the level still further for the cut. Adding limiting would have been the worst of all worlds, increased distortion and “mush” with no level increase). On some songs I did apply some gentle tube compression (I have an analogue tube AT-101, which is a very faithful Fairchild 670 recreation, it sounds wonderful, almost certainly because of the 22 tubes in it). This compression was for artistic effect and feel and not to over hype the music and make it too pumped. I am no fan of extreme compression but like salt and pepper in cooking, a little bit carefully applied at the right time in the right quantity can really improve things.

I was also loaned a set of original pressings for every album which was an excellent reference point as I could play these on the calibrated system on the lathe while also listening to the files. My goal was to make these new cuts at least as good as the originals and hopefully better. This is not as easy as it sounds due to the wear on some of the tapes. Essentially, for the original cuts, the tapes were obviously in mint condition which is a huge advantage for the original pressings, but I have a far cleaner signal path than was available to the original cutting engineers which helped me. I am happy that I achieved my goal. Management and Universal did not listen to anything until the test pressing stage when the decision was taken to proceed, thankfully the feedback was good (had they not liked it, the box would almost certainly not be happening).

I hope all of the above answers your question and if you get a box that you are pleased with it. Just so you know, the latest album in the set was not remastered but all of the others have been worked on by me.

Best Wishes, Miles"

Miles Showell - [www.AbbeyRoad.com] - [www.uDiscoverMusic.com]

Basically, we know now for sure that 1) This new vinyl box is made from digital files 2) The digital files are not the Marcussen 2009 remasters 3) It will be a new remaster from high resolution digital files (some DSD and some PCM)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home