Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 20
Re: The Rolling Stones - 15 June 2018
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:22

Same old crap. Now we have the vinylsts. I freaked out a couple of them at Amoeba records in L.A. They were feverishly going through a vinyl section. I told them vinyl was yesterday, and that I was into cassettes. I think they fretted that they were no longer on the hipster cutting edge. They almost threw away their Buddy Holly nerd glasses and shaved their beards.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:30

DandelionPowderman

So, a 2 LP release of B&L, then..

Yep - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] says 20 Records.

Large version of this picture

According to the Japanese picture Exile On Main St., Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang, Blue & Lonesome are 2LPs.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:33

DandelionPowderman

Hm, sure? We see 2 records and 2 inner-sleeves for each double-LP, but only 1 record (but two sleeves) for "Blue And Lonesome".

But probably the photographer is an idiot smoking smiley

Who cares - I'm waiting for the cardboard tongue.

Date: April 25, 2018 17:40

silkcut1978_

Hm, sure?

Yes, absolutely:

1. Sticky Fingers (1971)
Andy Warhol design jacket with zipper

2. Exile On Main Street (1972)
2-set / Gatefold Jacket / Inner Sleeve / 12 Postcard Set

3. Goats Head Soup (1973)
Gatefold jacket / 2 inserts, with sticker

4. It's Only Rock'n Roll (1974)
With inner sleeve

5. Black And Blue (1976)
Gatefold Jacket / Original Inner Bag / With Lyric Card

6. Some Girls (1978)
Special die cut jacket

7. Emotional Rescue (1980)
With original poster

8. Tattoo You (1981)
With original inner sleeve

9. Undercover (1983)
Original inner sleeve / with lyric card

10. Dirty Work (1986)
Red / shrink / sticker / original inner sleeve

11. Steel Wheels (1989)
Original inner sleeve / with sales insert

12. Voodoo Lounge (1994)
2-set / Gatefold Jacket / Original Lyric Inner

13. Bridges to Babylon (1997)
2-set / original lyrics With inner

14. A Bigger Bang (2005)

15. Blue & Lonesome (2016)

[www.Universal-Music.co.jp] - (via Google Translate)

Better description: [Store.uDiscoverMusic.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 18:45 by Irix.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:49

Irix
8. Tattoo Man (1981)

Now that one seems to be a true rarity...

grinning smiley

Date: April 25, 2018 17:51

shortfatfanny

Only available at Google Translate .... grinning smiley

Date: April 25, 2018 17:54

silkcut1978_
DandelionPowderman

Hm, sure? We see 2 records and 2 inner-sleeves for each double-LP, but only 1 record (but two sleeves) for "Blue And Lonesome".

But probably the photographer is an idiot smoking smiley

Who cares - I'm waiting for the cardboard tongue.

Not sure, but this is how the sleeves looked on the original vinyl release, so...

EDIT: Now I'm sure (thanks, Irix smiling smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 17:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:55

Irix
shortfatfanny

Only available at Google Translate .... grinning smiley

pity...somehow...
smileys with beer

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 18:00

What about the re-mastering?

"ABOUT THE PROCESS
Abbey Road Studios’ engineers have been cutting grooves into discs since the studios first opened in 1931. In 2013, award-winning engineer Miles Showell joined their existing mastering team, bringing a wealth of disc-cutting experience with him.

One of the artisan techniques offered by Abbey Road Studios that results in the very highest quality sound reproduction is Half Speed Cutting. This process involves the master source being played back at precisely half its recorded speed while the cutting lathe is similarly turned at half the desired playback speed. This allows the cutting head twice the time to cut the intricate groove, allowing considerably more accuracy with important matters such as frequency extremes and micro-dynamic contrasts. The resulting cuts have excellent high frequency response (treble) and very solid and stable stereo images.

It’s not quite as simple as running everything at half rate. There is an EQ curve applied to all vinyl records and by running the lathe at half speed, all the frequencies are wrong. However, the technical staff at Abbey Road Studios have had new custom-built filters installed which allow Miles to practice half speed cutting to the full on a modified Neumann VMS-80 lathe. "

Does this mean they don't use the remasters from 2009 which were used for the CD's?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 18:01 by jackflash27.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 25, 2018 18:03

shortfatfanny
Irix
8. Tattoo Man (1981)

grinning smiley

grinning smiley

"Tattoo You" was much more 'gender neutral ' though ... smoking smiley

Date: April 25, 2018 18:08

Date: April 25, 2018 18:11

Irix
New Promo-Video: [www.nme.com] .

Nice to hear the B&L-track in there! thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 25, 2018 18:58

An autographed edition of Dirty Work? grinning smiley

Date: April 25, 2018 19:03

Cristiano Radtke

Thus the most disliked album has now some worth .... winking smiley

Date: April 25, 2018 19:23

jackflash27
What about the re-mastering?

"ABOUT THE PROCESS
Abbey Road Studios’ engineers have been cutting grooves into discs since the studios first opened in 1931. In 2013, award-winning engineer Miles Showell joined their existing mastering team, bringing a wealth of disc-cutting experience with him.

One of the artisan techniques offered by Abbey Road Studios that results in the very highest quality sound reproduction is Half Speed Cutting. This process involves the master source being played back at precisely half its recorded speed while the cutting lathe is similarly turned at half the desired playback speed. This allows the cutting head twice the time to cut the intricate groove, allowing considerably more accuracy with important matters such as frequency extremes and micro-dynamic contrasts. The resulting cuts have excellent high frequency response (treble) and very solid and stable stereo images.

It’s not quite as simple as running everything at half rate. There is an EQ curve applied to all vinyl records and by running the lathe at half speed, all the frequencies are wrong. However, the technical staff at Abbey Road Studios have had new custom-built filters installed which allow Miles to practice half speed cutting to the full on a modified Neumann VMS-80 lathe. "

Does this mean they don't use the remasters from 2009 which were used for the CD's?

If some of these records will have the same great sound quality as the Exile edition that was remastered at Abbey Road, then I guess we're in for a (expensive) treat.

Posted by: Markbot ()
Date: April 25, 2018 20:26

Exile was mastered from digital files not directly from tape.

What was the source for this record?

24bit/96khz digital transfers supplied by the Stones made from original ¼” tapes.

[shop.abbeyroad.com]

Re: 'The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016' - 15 June 2018
Posted by: damnation ()
Date: April 25, 2018 20:46

i wonder if they will become available seperately as well as were the beatles mono/stereo records. Need some individual albums still....

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 20:47

It is limited and numbered edition

Date: April 25, 2018 21:35

Cristiano Radtke

Maybe that's the reason why they have meanwhile removed the new Promo-Video from YouTube. It was posted on the official RS-YouTube-Channel on 25-Apr-2018, but not listed.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 25, 2018 22:07

The Stones have been drowning in greatest hits compilations over the years. And in the modern era it's interesting how quickly they can go out of print. Nothing is sacred!

This 15-album vinyl collection is for rich guys to put up on their shelves and stare at.

For those that lust over the "true sound" I read something about a year ago that was very interesting. A band would release the stereo master of their new album and then go to the factory to get it cut on the cutting lathe. And invariably the production engineers had to shave off some of the low end because low frequencies eat up much more vinyl real estate than high frequencies. To get the music to fit onto the album they had to do some kind of "production equalization."

So that implies that all though the Sixties and Seventies the music you have been listening to is not the "true expression of the artist" relative to how they mixed it down on their studio monitors.

So get ready to dish out more bucks! The "true" releases will be coming out in FLAC 24-bit 96 kHz in a few years for you diehards and they have never been heard before!

P.S.: I am in my late fifties and I found a YouTube clip to test your ears for loss of ability to hear high frequencies as you get older. To my shock and dismay I can't hear above about 11.5 kHz. So I can't even hear the upper end of a boring old CD. There is not going to be a Pono player in my future. grinning smiley

Date: April 25, 2018 22:16

MileHigh

So that implies that all though the Sixties and Seventies the music you have been listening to is not the "true expression of the artist" relative to how they mixed it down on their studio monitors.

It's called: 'RIAA equalization' - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

MileHigh

So get ready to dish out more bucks! The "true" releases will be coming out in FLAC 24-bit 96 kHz in a few years for you diehards and they have never been heard before!

They're already out on Japanese SACDs since some years, much better than 96kHz/24bit ....

Date: April 25, 2018 22:30

Irix
MileHigh

It's called: 'RIAA equalization' - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

MileHigh

They're already out on Japanese SACDs since some years ....

No, I'm pretty sure what I am talking about and the RIAA equalization are two separate things. The RIAA equalization is a filter/inverse-filter system to lower the gain on the low frequencies when cutting and then boost it during playback. This is a generic system for reducing the low-frequency real estate when cutting records. The problem is that even with the RIAA equalization the music still wouldn't fit on the record. Hence the need for the "production engineer low frequency shaving" to make it fit and it was out of the control of the artist. I view this as a "hidden" compromise associated with vinyl that nobody wanted to talk about.

I don't know anything about the SACDs releases so I will take your word for it. However, aren't all SACDs out of print though and the format is dead?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 25, 2018 22:30

MileHigh
There is not going to be a Pono player in my future.

Yours or anybody else's. Neil Young announced last year that it was being discontinued.

Toblerone are still available though... ; )

Date: April 25, 2018 22:40

bye bye johnny
MileHigh
There is not going to be a Pono player in my future.

Yours or anybody else's. Neil Young announced last year that it was being discontinued.

Toblerone are still available though... ; )

I know and I get some Brownie points because I predicted it would die a quick death before it was even released.

Date: April 25, 2018 22:45

MileHigh

No, I'm pretty sure what I am talking about and the RIAA equalization are two separate things.

Yeah - some Mastering Engineers simply cut off all frequencies below 20-40 Hz and above 20 kHz .... eye rolling smiley

MileHigh

However, aren't all SACDs out of print though and the format is dead?

No. Go to [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , search for Rolling Stones and set the filter for SHM-SACD (11) or Hybrid (1) . In Europe they're available at jpc.de .

Date: April 25, 2018 22:52

Interesting how in the Disco era they started releasing 33 RPM 12" singles with one six-minute song filling up a whole album side. Now those babies had no low-end shaving for sure. And they were needless to say very robust. And you had a real opportunity for some cover art.

And I think some companies took it one step further and released 12" singles at 45 RPM.

You must have a pair of SL-1200 turntables suspended in air on big elastic bands also! It's the only way to go.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 23:03

Irix
MileHigh

No, I'm pretty sure what I am talking about and the RIAA equalization are two separate things.

Yeah - some Mastering Engineers simply cut off all frequencies below 20-40 Hz and above 20 kHz .... eye rolling smiley

MileHigh

However, aren't all SACDs out of print though and the format is dead?

No. Go to [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , search for Rolling Stones and set the filter for SHM-SACD (11) or Hybrid (1) . In Europe they're available at jpc.de .

Looking at jpc.de, I've found this lp "Honolulu 1966" with a funny front cover. Is there world war IV in mick's trousers? smoking smiley

Date: April 25, 2018 23:06

Irix
Cristiano Radtke

Maybe that's the reason why they have meanwhile removed the new Promo-Video from YouTube. It was posted on the official RS-YouTube-Channel on 25-Apr-2018, but not listed.
The Rolling Stones - The Studio Albums Vinyl Box Set 1971 - 2016

Date: April 25, 2018 23:12

I think the latest releases are double albums because the length of the CD was to long to fit in one album.
Why didn't they give us the original "banned" Some Girls cover?

Irix
silkcut1978_

Hm, sure?

Yes, absolutely:

1. Sticky Fingers (1971)
Andy Warhol design jacket with zipper

2. Exile On Main Street (1972)
2-set / Gatefold Jacket / Inner Sleeve / 12 Postcard Set

3. Goats Head Soup (1973)
Gatefold jacket / 2 inserts, with sticker

4. It's Only Rock'n Roll (1974)
With inner sleeve

5. Black And Blue (1976)
Gatefold Jacket / Original Inner Bag / With Lyric Card

6. Some Girls (1978)
Special die cut jacket

7. Emotional Rescue (1980)
With original poster

8. Tattoo You (1981)

9. Undercover (1983)
Original inner sleeve / with lyric card

10. Dirty Work (1986)
Red / shrink / sticker / original inner sleeve

11. Steel Wheels (1989)
Original inner sleeve / with sales insert

12. Voodoo Lounge (1994)

13. Bridges to Babylon (1997)
2-set / original lyrics With inner

14. A Bigger Bang (2005)

15. Blue & Lonesome (2016)

[www.Universal-Music.co.jp] - (via Google Translate)

Better description: [Store.uDiscoverMusic.com]

Date: April 25, 2018 23:13

Great deal on Amazon US. This box is costing $ 180 on pre-order: [www.amazon.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2041
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home