Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tattoo You 2
Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:13

Bored with all this endless talk and speculation about a new album.

They should take what they've got and mix it up with outtakes from Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, 2002 sessions and A Bigger Bang and just release it as an album.

Let's face it apart from a few people on here nobody would really notice or care.

Re: Tattoo You 2
Date: April 12, 2018 18:16

That would be a Frankenstein-album, though smiling smiley

In fairness, the songs on TY were pretty fresh: from 1976-1979, where most of the tracks stemmed from 78/79. Mick did the overdubs in 1980.

The two exceptions: Tops and Waiting On A Friend were great, though.

Apart from that, bring it on indeed! smileys with beer

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:22

DandelionPowderman

In fairness, the songs on TY were pretty fresh: from 1976-1979, where most of the tracks stemmed from 78/79. Mick did the overdubs in 1980.

I think the recent absurd "for the money only" tours - with three or four own "new" songs (Steel Wheels onwards) since 2012 - are more Frankenstein-ish. If they choose Fiji Jim or Honest Man, no casual buyer would recognise that the pieces are decades old. The Stones sound hasn't changed a lot since ca. the Some Girls sessions IMHO. They could remix or partly re-record them to make them sound "fresher". Other suggestions? - The problem is, if they do Tattoo You II (which is in fact Tattoo You IV) they probably don't play the or most of the stuff then. There's no place for "old new" songs in a 19 or 20 songs shows with 14-15 warhorses.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 18:37 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:23

DandelionPowderman

IS TOPS NOT THE MOST UNDERRATED STONES SONG EVER.

Seriously, no one ever mentions it, thanks Dande smiling smiley

I'm guessing this is 100 percent Jagger song, if i was Doxa i could make everyone believe its Keith all the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 18:26 by keithsman.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:25

sounds a great idea, not as if it really matters when a song is started, its the finished product that counts, and not as if they dont have plenty of material in the vaults.

and like you say, whos going to notice apart from people on here.

Date: April 12, 2018 18:28

keithsman
DandelionPowderman

I'm guessing this is 100 percent Jagger song, if i was Doxa i could make everyone believe its Keith all the way.

That Tops-riff is Keith all the way, Riffie smileys with beer

Date: April 12, 2018 18:28

I wonder why the vaults are left alone, is Mick waiting for keith to move on so he can release them and mix them his way.

Date: April 12, 2018 18:29

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

I think the recent absurd tours are more Frankenstein-ish. If they choose Fiji Jim or Honest Man, no casual buyer would recognise that the pieces are decades old. The Stones sound hasn't changed a lot since ca. the Some Girls sessions IMHO. They could remix or partly re-record them to make them sound "fresher". Other suggestions?

Of course they good. They would never touch Honest Man, though, as it is too similar to Sweet Thing. I guess that's why they abandoned it. Otherwise, it's a good tune.

Date: April 12, 2018 18:30

DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman

That Tops-riff is Keith all the way, Riffie smileys with beer

Haha genius smileys with beer

God I've started early today winking smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:32

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

I think the recent absurd tours are more Frankenstein-ish. If they choose Fiji Jim or Honest Man, no casual buyer would recognise that the pieces are decades old. The Stones sound hasn't changed a lot since ca. the Some Girls sessions IMHO. They could remix or partly re-record them to make them sound "fresher". Other suggestions?

Of course they good. They would never touch Honest Man, though, as it is too similar to Sweet Thing. I guess that's why they abandoned it. Otherwise, it's a good tune.

I don't see any similarities Honest Man - Sweet Thing at all, but I haven't listened to both for years. I think they maybe didn't use it, because it sounds too much like The Rolling Stones ;-)

Date: April 12, 2018 18:43

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

I don't see any similarities Honest Man - Sweet Thing at all, but I haven't listened to both for years. I think they maybe didn't use it, because it sounds too much like The Rolling Stones ;-)

It's just Mick and Chuck, isn't it? The chords and the changes are the same as on Sweet Thing, if memory serves. Get a falsetto on it, and there you go... smiling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 12, 2018 19:02

KevinLocksPerm

They should take what they've got and mix it up with outtakes from Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, 2002 sessions and A Bigger Bang and just release it as an album.

Let's face it apart from a few people on here nobody would really notice or care.

thumbs up

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 12, 2018 19:14

keithsman
DandelionPowderman

Yes. Fantastic

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: nick ()
Date: April 12, 2018 19:46

KevinLocksPerm

I have said this many times. I have been openly critical of Jagger's claims of " not commercially viable". For all this talk of him going to the London School of economics, he sure didn't know when to strike on this 20-30 years ago when they could had released dogshit and it would go platinum. He totally killed the Stones during 84-88 when Undercover only went to #4 and thought his solo stuff was all the rage. Damn, he puts out She's The Boss and had to divide time between Primative Cool and Dirty Work? Are you f'ing kidding me Mick? We all see how that turned out. Steel Wheels sessions can be reviewed. VooDoo Lounge sessions have at least another 10-15 in them. There is probably a few Bridges outtakes that can be looked at. Obviously we just saw what happened a few days ago with the Licks stuff. Wandering Spirit "stole" what should have been Stones material. It's very very frustrating to see this happen again and again. Stop being so dismissive of the vaults and this "yeah, i don't want to talk about it" Sir Mick. Keith is no help with this either. He has to be more assertive in getting these released. They are Jagger / Richards songs. The fans are getting older and less interested. The fans are spending on their grandkids. Get it done Glimmer Twins, you're fading and fading fast.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 12, 2018 19:48

nick
KevinLocksPerm

I have said this many times. I have been openly critical of Jagger's claims of " not commercially viable". For all this talk of him going to the London School of economics, he sure didn't know when to strike on this 20-30 years ago when they could had released dogshit and it would go platinum. He totally killed the Stones during 84-88 when Undercover only went to #4 and thought his solo stuff was all the rage. Damn, he puts out She's The Boss and had to divide time between Primative Cool and Dirty Work? Are you f'ing kidding me Mick? We all see how that turned out. Steel Wheels sessions can be reviewed. VooDoo Lounge sessions have at least another 10-15 in them. There is probably a few Bridges outtakes that can be looked at. Obviously we just saw what happened a few days ago with the Licks stuff. Wandering Spirit "stole" what should have been Stones material. It's very very frustrating to see this happen again and again. Stop being so dismissive of the vaults and this "yeah, i don't want to talk about it" Sir Mick. Keith is no help with this either. He has to be more assertive in getting these released. They are Jagger / Richards songs. The fans are getting older and less interested. The fans are spending on their grandkids. Get it done Glimmer Twins, you're fading and fading fast.

Yes.thumbs up

Date: April 12, 2018 19:50

Any chance of links to these new old songs ?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 12, 2018 20:18

keithsman
Any chance of links to these new old songs ?

To just hear them? .. you can just search for them on youtube, you can find most any song mentioned. I just did it and found Honest Man on my first try.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 12, 2018 22:39

KevinLocksPerm

With all the filler on the albums you listed I’m not too interested in what didn’t make the cut the first time around...especially from A Bigger Bang.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 12, 2018 23:24

Elmo Lewis
keithsman
DandelionPowderman

Yes. Fantastic

*no-one ever mentions ‘Tops’ ?!
Hello my name is 35love and I’ve mentioned ‘Tops’ several times.
All 3 known versions: Alt raw 1972, recorded track official version, and the 1 time live Philly 1981 concert version, which I have confessed ‘this song floats my boat, makes me giddy happy, those guitars, etc’

Date: April 12, 2018 23:32

keithsman
I wonder why the vaults are left alone, is Mick waiting for keith to move on so he can release them and mix them his way.

Haven’t we raided them pretty good?
I think so, yes.

Date: April 12, 2018 23:38

There is one more live version, 35love. Buffalo 1981, if memory serves

Posted by: nick ()
Date: April 12, 2018 23:40

35love
All 3 known versions: Alt raw 1972, recorded track official version, and the 1 time live Philly 1981 concert version, which I have confessed ‘this song floats my boat, makes me giddy happy, those guitars, etc’

Hi, I'm a 35love fan and I can personally vouch for that. I have a 77-79 with some alt lyrics which I believe is different from the 72 inst vers.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: April 13, 2018 01:34

i love blue and lonesome, it highlights the ability of the stones to still tear through songs. lots of fire and spit and a vitality that says 1963. if they are close to an album (who knows, maybe throw in a couple from years ago) they should just rip a few original rock n roll chestnuts and maybe a couple of blues tunes and be done with the album.

i'm thinking "rocket 88" could be a career highlight, played with a razor edge, FU attitude.

Date: April 13, 2018 02:03

Well, if we haven't raided the vaults enough, the crew here can index, sort and correct (love that)
and *swoon on y’alls talk of other ‘Tops’ !

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 13, 2018 02:35

35love
keithsman

Haven’t we raided them pretty good?
I think so, yes.

Pretty good ain’t good enough.....tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: April 13, 2018 03:07

35love
Elmo Lewis
keithsman
DandelionPowderman

Yes. Fantastic

umm..they played it in in Boulder Colorado also in 81...on a bootleg called Pave Boulder 81....

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: April 13, 2018 04:45

In what was once a large group of die-hard Stones fans in my circle of acquaintances...I may be the last one who cares if they release any more vault stuff. They definitely need to get it on...

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: April 13, 2018 05:02

KevinLocksPerm

Would probably be a great Stones LP....

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 13, 2018 13:59

35love
Alt raw 1972 ...

Oooops - I missed out on thàt one!

You make me jumpy with anticipation, 35love.

Anyone that can direct me to a download of that version?

EDIT: I guess it's this one?

video: [www.youtube.com]

WoW - this song beatifully opens up; and then WóW again - what a terrible falsetto Mick's trying to get going here... smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 14:31 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 13, 2018 14:27

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

I think the recent absurd "for the money only" tours - with three or four own "new" songs (Steel Wheels onwards) since 2012 - are more Frankenstein-ish. If they choose Fiji Jim or Honest Man, no casual buyer would recognise that the pieces are decades old. The Stones sound hasn't changed a lot since ca. the Some Girls sessions IMHO. They could remix or partly re-record them to make them sound "fresher". Other suggestions? - The problem is, if they do Tattoo You II (which is in fact Tattoo You IV) they probably don't play the or most of the stuff then. There's no place for "old new" songs in a 19 or 20 songs shows with 14-15 warhorses.

Yep, I think the recent Stones is much closer to the Stones of 1994 than The Stones of 1981 to that one of 1972/3. Actually I don't think they haven't changed/evolved at all since 1994, so the TATTOO YOU 2 would sound a pretty coherent album easily. When I listen to the just leaked 2002 sessions, the stuff could have as easily derived from VOODOO LOUNGE or A BIGGER BANG sessions.

TATTOO YOU actually is a pretty Frankenstein album: what actually makes that album so great was having those Frankensteinian moments from BLACK AND BLUE and GOATS GEAD SOUP sessions ("Worried About You, "Slave", Tops", "Waiting On A Friend") giving us musical dimensions and variance the band of Pathe Marconi era didn't possess or was not interested in any longer. That fooled us a bit back then, especially compared to EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 14:32 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2129
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home