Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17
Re: Is the Hells Angel who took out Meredith Hunter a hero?
Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: March 29, 2018 14:26

stanlove
KevinLocksPerm
dead.flowers
KevinLocksPerm
No.

Do you have any other idiotic questions?

Can we shut down this thread please?

Excellent idea. It should never have been started.

People like you amaze me. Nobody is forcing you here yet you are here asking for a thread ( that other people want to interact in ) to be forced down. Control freak and annoying guy.

People like me? That's a big statement given that you don't know me. I merely suggested suggested that the original post was dumb and shouldn't have been started. That's just my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I just struggle with the idea that anyone could perceive anyone who commits murder as acting in a heroic manner. But we clearly live in an increasing perverse world so ............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 14:30 by KevinLocksPerm.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 29, 2018 14:51

The incident was caught on camera and became a central scene in the documentary Gimme Shelter. Passaro was charged with murder. After an eight-man, four-woman jury deliberated for 12 and a half hours, following 17 days of testimony, Passaro was acquitted on grounds of self-defense.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 29, 2018 15:09

To me it looks like the devil (Hell's Angel) stabs him in the neck from behind. Self-defence? Was it the OJ jury (in reverse rather) at work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 15:41 by Stoneage.

Date: March 29, 2018 15:18

Stoneage
To me it looks like the devil (Hell's Angel) stabbs him in the neck from behind. Self-defence? Was it the OJ jury (in reverse rather) at work?

The guy was waving a gun around................any which way will do.............

Date: March 29, 2018 16:26

EddieByword
Stoneage
To me it looks like the devil (Hell's Angel) stabbs him in the neck from behind. Self-defence? Was it the OJ jury (in reverse rather) at work?

The guy was waving a gun around................any which way will do.............

Some real red necks around these here parts.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 29, 2018 16:57

Some real red necks around these here parts.[/quote]

Just curious, why is it Ok ,that some people think its ok too use this Racist slurr on IORR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 16:59 by virgil.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 29, 2018 17:05

KevinLocksPerm
EddieByword
Stoneage

Why would you call someone a redneck for that? I don't understand that at all.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 29, 2018 17:06

virgil

Just curious, why is it Ok ,that some people think its ok too use this Racist slurr on IORR.[/quote]

Its not a racist slur. its used to describe some peoples way of life and intelligence. It could be anyone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 17:08 by Cooltoplady.

Date: March 29, 2018 17:24

Cooltoplady
virgil

Just curious, why is it Ok ,that some people think its ok too use this Racist slurr on IORR.

Its not a racist slur. its used to describe some peoples way of life and intelligence. It could be anyone.[/quote]

The some peoples you refer to are usually Southern Whites and their intelligence and way of life are most often associated in negative terms. Its never used in terms of endearment and that particular poster was not complementing anyone.

IMHO its sounds Racist.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 29, 2018 17:43

Calling someone a red neck is racist? confused smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 29, 2018 17:51

Koen

"If your front porch collapses and kills more than three dogs, you might be a redneck."

Exactly, in Buffalo, we don't carry chips on our shoulders.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 29, 2018 17:58

Remember the 10 commandments "Thou Shall Not Kill " (so ludicrous of an assertion that there was anything heroic about this killer/murderer )

Date: March 29, 2018 18:13

TheGreek
Remember the 10 commandments "Thou Shall Not Kill " (so ludicrous of an assertion that there was anything heroic about this killer/murderer )

I think the question is did Passaro save one of the Stones or someone else around. Not sue why that is a ludicrous question. I think the answer is hell no but if you believe that Hunter was going to shoot at the stage then it is a legit question.

Date: March 29, 2018 18:28

Koen

Thank you.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 29, 2018 18:28

The Sicilian
Koen

"If your front porch collapses and kills more than three dogs, you might be a redneck."

"If you go to the family reunion to meet women, you might be a redneck" - Jeff Foxworthy

Q: What should you do if you find three rednecks buried up to their neck in cement?
A: Get more cement.

Q:What do two rednecks say after breaking up?
A:Lets just be cousins

Q: What do you get when you have 32 rednecks in the same room?
A: A full set of teeth

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 29, 2018 18:41

Koen

Seeing as it's almost never used as a compliment (outside of self-identification) and the people being referred to by the use of the term are generally thought to be of one specific skin color, I can see how people could see the term as a racist slur.

Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be A Redneck" comedy routine (as referenced by The Sicilian above) certainly diminished much of the stigma around the term and put it in a place where it can be seen as applying to anyone of any color or regional origin. But that's not to say that it got to a place where using it won't potentially cause offense.

I'm not sure if I consider it to be racist or not. If I were on a "linguistic jury" I'd probably have to vote no. But that's only because when I and most of the people I know, use the term, although I/we do tend to use it as an insult or condemnation, it's done as a reaction to the content of a person's heart and mind not the color of their skin.

Note: I say all this from a standpoint where I can say that I have people IN MY FAMILY who are rednecks. Also some good ole boys. Also some S.O.B's. and A-holes. Got some Yankees in the family tree and I, myself, am technically a Damn Yankee.

I'd say, for those who are questioning the term, it's use and it's perception, it's probably best not to use it as it will most likely viewed as insulting unless you're very clear that you're not wanting it to be received that way.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 29, 2018 18:42

stanlove
TheGreek

I think the question is did Passaro save one of the Stones or someone else around. Not sue why that is a ludicrous question. I think the answer is hell no but if you believe that Hunter was going to shoot at the stage then it is a legit question.
Because were Jagger & co. hassling/harassing this guy because of who his date was ? Of course not .The individual in question comes marching in with his date on his arm and I believe it was all downhill from there .I have seen Gimmie Shelter enough times to know why he pulled his piece and it had nothing to do one bit about who the entertainment was on stage at all .Pretty easy to figure out exactly what happened .Nobody deserves to be brutally murdered in this fashion over anything at all .If there were Police there ,they would have intervened and arrested the parties(including the members of the motorcycle gang) involved in this MELEE and then the individual in question would have received more fair treatment with a jury if he would have been indicted for any crime or perceived crime instead of having his fate decided by vigilante justice instead .So pathetic of an ending and very tragic .What sickened me and totally disgusted me was anybody daring to look at there bikes the wrong way and getting a pool stick upside there head and face .Real nice to be treated like that right ?

thumbs upRe: Is the Hells Angel who took out Meredith Hunter a hero?
Date: March 29, 2018 18:43

Hairball
The Sicilian
Koen

"If you go to the family reunion to meet women, you might be a redneck" - Jeff Foxworthy

Q: What should you do if you find three rednecks buried up to their neck in cement?

Beautiful , I love it

Date: March 29, 2018 19:09

mr_dja
Koen

Seeing as it's almost never used as a compliment (outside of self-identification) and the people being referred to by the use of the term are generally thought to be of one specific skin color, I can see how people could see the term as a racist slur.

Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be A Redneck" comedy routine (as referenced by The Sicilian above) certainly diminished much of the stigma around the term and put it in a place where it can be seen as applying to anyone of any color or regional origin. But that's not to say that it got to a place where using it won't potentially cause offense.

I'm not sure if I consider it to be racist or not. If I were on a "linguistic jury" I'd probably have to vote no. But that's only because when I and most of the people I know, use the term, although I/we do tend to use it as an insult or condemnation, it's done as a reaction to the content of a person's heart and mind not the color of their skin.

Note: I say all this from a standpoint where I can say that I have people IN MY FAMILY who are rednecks. Also some good ole boys. Also some S.O.B's. and A-holes. Got some Yankees in the family tree and I, myself, am technically a Damn Yankee.

I'd say, for those who are questioning the term, it's use and it's perception, it's probably best not to use it as it will most likely viewed as insulting unless you're very clear that you're not wanting it to be received that way.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I have rednecks in my family as well and they're a part of my family ancestry/history (southern Missouri bordering Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas) ). They're the first ones to joke about themselves, but agree it might not be wise to use it in a derogatory way - especially when in conversation with actual 'rednecks'. They might tar and feather you and put you out in the cornfields to let the crows eat you alive. winking smiley

"Depending on where you come from, calling someone a “redneck” can be a derogatory term. But to many southerners, being a redneck is more of a lifestyle than anything. Those who consider themselves redneck are typically proud of it. They consider themselves blue collar, hardworking folks who enjoy the simpler things in life, which is in fact where the word came from. The word redneck was first used in the mid-1900s to describe farmers who would work all day long with the sun beating down on the back of their necks.

While we all like to poke fun at the funny sayings, flannel cutoffs, and duct tape remedies, America’s states are full of destinations that cater to the redneck lifestyle. Below is our top list of U.S. redneck destinations based on characteristics like nearby fishing lakes, possums per capita, RV parks, lax gun laws, moonshine distilleries and lots of mud".

America's 11 Most Redneck Travel Destinations

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 19:18 by Hairball.

Date: March 29, 2018 19:23

TheGreek
stanlove
TheGreek

Because were Jagger & co. hassling/harassing this guy because of who his date was ? Of course not .The individual in question comes marching in with his date on his arm and I believe it was all downhill from there .I have seen Gimmie Shelter enough times to know why he pulled his piece and it had nothing to do one bit about who the entertainment was on stage at all .Pretty easy to figure out exactly what happened .Nobody deserves to be brutally murdered in this fashion over anything at all .If there were Police there ,they would have intervened and arrested the parties(including the members of the motorcycle gang) involved in this MELEE and then the individual in question would have received more fair treatment with a jury if he would have been indicted for any crime or perceived crime instead of having his fate decided by vigilante justice instead .So pathetic of an ending and very tragic .What sickened me and totally disgusted me was anybody daring to look at there bikes the wrong way and getting a pool stick upside there head and face .Real nice to be treated like that right ?

You are preaching the choir. I just made the point that if someone believes that hunter was trying to kill Jagger then they could look at the HA as a hero. That was the question that the OP was asking.

Date: March 29, 2018 19:48

Hairball
mr_dja
Koen

Peace,
Mr DJA

I have rednecks in my family as well and they're a part of my family ancestry/history (southern Missouri bordering Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas) ). They're the first ones to joke about themselves, but agree it might not be wise to use it in a derogatory way - especially when in conversation with actual 'rednecks'. They might tar and feather you and put you out in the cornfields to let the crows eat you alive. winking smiley

"Depending on where you come from, calling someone a “redneck” can be a derogatory term. But to many southerners, being a redneck is more of a lifestyle than anything. Those who consider themselves redneck are typically proud of it. They consider themselves blue collar, hardworking folks who enjoy the simpler things in life, which is in fact where the word came from. The word redneck was first used in the mid-1900s to describe farmers who would work all day long with the sun beating down on the back of their necks.

While we all like to poke fun at the funny sayings, flannel cutoffs, and duct tape remedies, America’s states are full of destinations that cater to the redneck lifestyle. Below is our top list of U.S. redneck destinations based on characteristics like nearby fishing lakes, possums per capita, RV parks, lax gun laws, moonshine distilleries and lots of mud".

America's 11 Most Redneck Travel Destinations

Very good posts Hairball and Mr, DJA excellent descriptions of how some people see themselves and can make light of it. That’s absolutely fine in my book. My issue is 95% of the time when I hear someone using the term it’s derogatory racist or both. Even news pundits and poloticians have no problem throwing out the term in non complimentary ways. They would never do that to any other particular group of people. Many times redneck is used to call someone a racist.

Date: March 29, 2018 20:03

stanlove
TheGreek
stanlove
TheGreek

You are preaching the choir. I just made the point that if someone believes that hunter was trying to kill Jagger then they could look at the HA as a hero. That was the question that the OP was asking.

As for the highlighted part above in bold, had the police been there and witnessed someone hyped up on speed waving a gun around erratically - not sure Hunter would have received "more fair treatment".
On the contrary, he would have probably been shot dead in his tracks in the blink of an eye by the police. Not taking sides or condoning his death at the hands of a Hells Angel, but it seems to me that Meredith Hunter might have been barking up the wrong tree by recklessly brandishing a gun in a public open space filled with thousands of people. He might have been justifiably agitated and irritated at the treatment he received prior to the stabbing, but attempting to take on an entire gang of Hells Angels might not have been a wise decision. Very sad.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: March 29, 2018 20:07

From Altamont to Rednecks. This forum never stops to amaze mespinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 29, 2018 20:29

stanlove
KevinLocksPerm
EddieByword
Stoneage

Why would you call someone a redneck for that? I don't understand that at all.

Cheers Stanlove..........thumbs up ...... a bit of a silly 'redneck' comment really, the redneck was the guy with the gun......

As I said earlier in this thread, if you took that situation and transferred it to today, at LAX (for example),,,,,,,,,Hunter, instead being a Jihadi, (waving a gun around) and Alan Passaro being an off duty US marine there would zero argument as to who was in the right and who was in the wrong..................

Pull a gun in a civilian public place, where others don't know you and are not clear as to what you are up to, well, you can't complain if you end up dead yourself...............it's just common sense........imo, any other conclusion is just retarded (redneck) idiocy............

PS. I did get a redneck at knebworth......smoking smiley......the 1976 United Kingdom heat wave led to the hottest summer average temperature in the UK since records began.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 20:47 by EddieByword.

Date: March 29, 2018 20:46

Hairball
The Sicilian
Koen

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 30, 2018 00:56

EddieByword

As I said earlier in this thread, if you took that situation and transferred it to today, at LAX (for example),,,,,,,,,Hunter, instead being a Jihadi, (waving a gun around) and Alan Passaro being an off duty US marine there would zero argument as to who was in the right and who was in the wrong..................

This statement just simply reeks of false equivalency, you know, like comparing apples and oranges...

In addition: Hunter was not the only individual who happened to be armed that day.

Date: March 30, 2018 01:00

curt
EddieByword

This statement just simply reeks of false equivalency, you know, like comparing apples and oranges...

In addition: Hunter was not the only individual who happened to be armed that day.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...................ok............

Date: March 30, 2018 01:16

EddieByword
curt
EddieByword

Yeah, yeah, yeah...................ok............

Hunter brought that gun for some reason, and made it to the front of the stage which was no easy task. Brandishing a weapon within spitting distance of the band is a death wish. He knew what the scene was like down there, Angels were pounding people all day. He chose to enter the arena as an agitator and his fate was sealed.

Date: March 30, 2018 01:24

You have to ask regardless of the gun issue would Hunter have come to the attention of the angels had he not been black and had he not been wearing a bright green suit. I suspect not.

Date: March 30, 2018 01:36

KevinLocksPerm
You have to ask regardless of the gun issue would Hunter have come to the attention of the angels had he not been black and had he not been wearing a bright green suit. I suspect not.

He wasn't the only black person at the show. I saw two working the stage. I don't think the Angels were checking ID's before bashing people. Ask Marty Balin.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home