Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 17
Re: Is the Hells Angel who took out Meredith Hunter a hero?
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 30, 2018 17:18

KevinLocksPerm
So many apologists for the angels. Disturbing.

Who is doing that?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 30, 2018 17:21

Remember that the Grateful Dead did not play leaving a big gap before the Stones came on. A few hours. That's a cause for people to get agitated and more intoxicated.

Anyway here are some rare clips from the concert.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 17:25 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 30, 2018 17:27

Another hypothetical Q: what if the police officers had seen Hunter with the gun and fired at him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 17:39 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: March 30, 2018 17:36

KevinLocksPerm
Frightening to think that such people walk among us on IORR.

You mean the type of people who push off lazy no argument speculation as a fact and then judge others who don't buy their lazy speculation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 17:37 by stanlove.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 30, 2018 17:53

stanlove
curt
PaintMonkeyManBlack
KevinLocksPerm
You have to ask regardless of the gun issue would Hunter have come to the attention of the angels had he not been black and had he not been wearing a bright green suit. I suspect not.
Speculation and also not relevant

Facts are:

- He had a gun in a place where you should not have and wave with a gun
- The Hells Angels prevented him from doing damage to other people

There is no evidence at all that there are racist motives. It is not like Hunter did nothing. He was a real treat and the Angels responded to that treat. Not on his color.

I do not approve the behavior of the Angels on that day and also the question if the force used on Hunter was neccessary is a legitimate one. But racist? Absolutly no reason to assume anything like it.

("You know in November I'm going to go before the Adult Authority for them to set my sentence and they're going to stick all kinds of shit on my jacket [prison file] – 'racist, Nazi-affiliated,' and all. And they're going to hang me up on a silent murder beef. They're going to keep denying me parole for a full eight years and a half. Especially after I talk to you.")

A quote from Passaro himself while doing time for an additional violation of law.

[www.rollingstone.com]

And this from another music board:

What the "film" fails to mention is that Meredith Hunter was being threatened and repeatedly harassed by the Hell's Angles because his girlfriend was white and he was black (there is a shot of her bawling her eyes out after he was killed in the film without any real explanation as to who she is or why she's crying - she's the blonde right next to him). He pulled the gun when he was in fear for his life and, unfortunately, that didn't go over well with the angels, who were out of their heads (as if they had any brains anyway) and looking for an excuse.

Ultimately, Merideth Hunter was killed by some racist throwbacks who couldn't accept that times were changing. Who didn't believe in freedom for all people. Losers who used their position of power and authority to advance their bigotry and prejudice. Indeed, the 60's were coming to a close.

History has done a pretty good job of obscuring the facts of the incident. Over time, Meredith has become relegated to some random black guy who pulled a gun during the concert with no explanation as to why.

Another comment from a music forum:
As for the contention that they are racists, all I can do is point out that they do *not* accept blacks as prospective members and have stated that they never will

Nothing you posted proved he was killed because the Angles were racist. Haven't we already been through this?

The argument that he was repeatedly harassed doesn't even make sense. You really believe that he was repeatedly harassed but was still hanging out by the stage at the time that he was killed? That makes no sense at all. It obviously would have come to a head much earlier. We know what the witness said. When Hunter was roughed up ( he saw it once ) he right away pulled out his gun.

I would like to see any proof that Hunter was roughed up because he was a black guy who was with a White girl. Did the Angels tell him that or was he just another guy getting roughed up and since he was black some people assumed it was because he was black

If some of the Angels were racist ( be surprised if some were not ) it is irrelevant as we have already seen that he was treated like many whites there. Because someone doesn't want you in their group does not mean they want to physically hurt you. Was there a big problem of Angles going around killing black people? I have never heard of that.

The only rational opinion on this is we don't know if race had anything to do with it. Only Passaro knew if it did.

Again, I must ask the same questions:

1 Are you an American ?
2 Were you at the gig ?
3 Are you personally acquainted with any Hell's Angels chapter, particularly the Oakland chapter ?

Date: March 30, 2018 17:55

curt
stanlove
curt
PaintMonkeyManBlack
KevinLocksPerm
You have to ask regardless of the gun issue would Hunter have come to the attention of the angels had he not been black and had he not been wearing a bright green suit. I suspect not.

Facts are:

There is no evidence at all that there are racist motives. It is not like Hunter did nothing. He was a real treat and the Angels responded to that treat. Not on his color.

I do not approve the behavior of the Angels on that day and also the question if the force used on Hunter was neccessary is a legitimate one. But racist? Absolutly no reason to assume anything like it.

("You know in November I'm going to go before the Adult Authority for them to set my sentence and they're going to stick all kinds of shit on my jacket [prison file] – 'racist, Nazi-affiliated,' and all. And they're going to hang me up on a silent murder beef. They're going to keep denying me parole for a full eight years and a half. Especially after I talk to you.")

A quote from Passaro himself while doing time for an additional violation of law.

[www.rollingstone.com]

What the "film" fails to mention is that Meredith Hunter was being threatened and repeatedly harassed by the Hell's Angles because his girlfriend was white and he was black (there is a shot of her bawling her eyes out after he was killed in the film without any real explanation as to who she is or why she's crying - she's the blonde right next to him). He pulled the gun when he was in fear for his life and, unfortunately, that didn't go over well with the angels, who were out of their heads (as if they had any brains anyway) and looking for an excuse.

Ultimately, Merideth Hunter was killed by some racist throwbacks who couldn't accept that times were changing. Who didn't believe in freedom for all people. Losers who used their position of power and authority to advance their bigotry and prejudice. Indeed, the 60's were coming to a close.

History has done a pretty good job of obscuring the facts of the incident. Over time, Meredith has become relegated to some random black guy who pulled a gun during the concert with no explanation as to why.

As for the contention that they are racists, all I can do is point out that they do *not* accept blacks as prospective members and have stated that they never will

Nothing you posted proved he was killed because the Angles were racist. Haven't we already been through this?

The argument that he was repeatedly harassed doesn't even make sense. You really believe that he was repeatedly harassed but was still hanging out by the stage at the time that he was killed? That makes no sense at all. It obviously would have come to a head much earlier. We know what the witness said. When Hunter was roughed up ( he saw it once ) he right away pulled out his gun.

I would like to see any proof that Hunter was roughed up because he was a black guy who was with a White girl. Did the Angels tell him that or was he just another guy getting roughed up and since he was black some people assumed it was because he was black

If some of the Angels were racist ( be surprised if some were not ) it is irrelevant as we have already seen that he was treated like many whites there. Because someone doesn't want you in their group does not mean they want to physically hurt you. Was there a big problem of Angles going around killing black people? I have never heard of that.

The only rational opinion on this is we don't know if race had anything to do with it. Only Passaro knew if it did.

1 Are you an American ?
2 Were you at the gig ?
3 Are you personally acquainted with any Hell's Angels chapter, particularly the Oakland chapter ?

All irrelevant question. I have yet to see any proof that Hunter was picked on or killed because he was black. I already said it is possible but nobody can give proof or make a good argument that it it the case. Your opinion is if racism can't be proven either way then play it safe and call it racism. That is ridiculous.

I have already made the arguments why that is not logical. Look back.

You actually just did what I have been talking about. The are you an American question proves that. Obviously you are trying to say that only an American can understand American race issues. You just set up the argument that nothing can ever happen to a person who happens to be black, it has to happen because they are black. Again ridiculous.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 18:05 by stanlove.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: March 30, 2018 18:00

Just to go back to the original post. How can anyone regard a murderer to be a hero? If you can then there is something wrong with you.

Date: March 30, 2018 18:01

stanlove
curt
stanlove
curt
PaintMonkeyManBlack
KevinLocksPerm

Facts are:

[www.rollingstone.com]

1 Are you an American ?
2 Were you at the gig ?

All irrelevant question. I have yet to see any proof that Hunter was picked on or killed because he was black. I already said it is possible but nobody can give proof or make a good argument that it it the case.

If you are unable to answer these simple questions, you would simply be unable to comprehend a full explication of my statements.

Date: March 30, 2018 18:07

KevinLocksPerm
Just to go back to the original post. How can anyone regard a murderer to be a hero? If you can then there is something wrong with you.

If Hunter was going to kill Jagger and Passaro stopped it would he be a hero?

Date: March 30, 2018 18:12

curt
stanlove
curt
stanlove
curt
PaintMonkeyManBlack
KevinLocksPerm

Facts are:

[www.rollingstone.com]

1 Are you an American ?
2 Were you at the gig ?

All irrelevant question. I have yet to see any proof that Hunter was picked on or killed because he was black. I already said it is possible but nobody can give proof or make a good argument that it it the case.

If you are unable to answer these simple questions, you would simply be unable to comprehend a full explication of my statements.

Your question are irrelevant. How do you not see that?

1- Yes. So what?
2- Nope. Most people there did not know what was going on. People who have had 50 years to study the evidence know more then almost everyone at the concert about what happened..It is like saying that you had to be at Dealy Plaza to know who killed JFK. It is ridiculous.
3-No. irrelvant unless of course you ran into Passaro and he told you he killed Hunter because Hunter was black.

Your question are obvious and irrelevant.

Date: March 30, 2018 18:17

"Your question are irrelevant. How do you not see that?

1- Yes. So what?
2- Nope. Most people there did not know what was going on. People who have had 50 years to study the evidence know more then almost everyone at the concert about what happened..It is like saying that you had to be at Dealy Plaza to know who killed JFK. It is ridiculous.
3-No. irrelvant unless of course you ran into Passaro and he told you he killed Hunter because Hunter was black.

Your question are obvious and irrelevant."

What is your understanding of the circumstances attendant upon the state of mind from which racism springs ?

Date: March 30, 2018 18:23

curt

1- Yes. So what?

What is your understanding of the circumstances attendant upon the state of mind from which racism springs ?

Lets hope you are joking here.

You again are setting up exactly what I have been talking about. You are setting up the argument that nothing can ever happen to someone who just happens to be black it has to happen because he is black. I am amazed that you do not see that.

Now what I am looking for is any proof that Passaro killed Hunter because Hunter was black. You will not give any. Again to someone like you if there is no proof either way then just chalk it up to racism. Very scary stuff and way too much of that going on.

I will take the rational approach. There is no proof either way that Hunter as killed because he was black. So all that should be accepted is we can't know. Obviously it is a possibility but a decent argument cannot be made for it.

By the way you would not happen to be a teacher would you?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 18:35 by stanlove.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 30, 2018 18:37

KevinLocksPerm

I agree

Date: March 30, 2018 18:44

stanlove
curt

1- Yes. So what?

You again are setting up exactly what I have been talking about. You are setting up the argument that nothing can ever happen to someone who just happens to be black it has to happen because he is black. I am amazed that you do not see that.

Now what I am looking for is any proof that Passaro killed Hunter because Hunter was black. You will not give any. Again to someone like you if there is no proof either way then just chalk it up to racism. Very scary stuff and way too much of that going on.

I will take the rational approach. There is no proof either way that Hunter as killed because he was black. So all that should be accepted is we can't know. Obviously it is a possibility but a decent argument cannot be made for it.

My view of the Angels and racism comes from hearing a conversation between a fellow I worked with in Oakland and Sonny Barger himself at Barger's residence in Oakland in 1976.

I can offer no statement from Passaro himself.
And really I was only trying to say that racism was an aspect of this killing.
No, I am not a teacher.

Date: March 30, 2018 18:48

curt
stanlove
curt

1- Yes. So what?

My view of the Angels and racism comes from hearing a conversation between a fellow I worked with in Oakland and Sonny Barger himself at Barger's residence in Oakland in 1976.

I can offer no statement from Passaro himself.
And really I was only trying to say that racism was an aspect of this killing.
No, I am not a teacher.

Was there a big problem with the Angels killing of attacking black people during that time? I have never heard of that.

Date: March 30, 2018 19:04

"Was there a big problem with the Angels killing of attacking black people during that time? I have never heard of that."

By the same token I am not aware of any instance in which any Hell's Angel participated in any Civil Rights marches, though they were among those who harried said protesters ...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2018 19:07

Another question: Who brings a gun to a Stones show, and why?

If this was supposed to be 'Woodstock West' filled with peace, and love, and rock and roll, not sure why anyone would want to bring a gun in the first place.
Did Hunter always carry a gun with him?

A bit of quick research found these facts:

In 1967 in the state of California, anyone could carry a loaded gun out on the street, so long as it was registered, not concealed and not pointed in a threatening manner.
Yet the Mulford Act of 1967 repealed this law, making it totally illegal to carry a concealed firearm.

Being that Altamont was in late '69, wonder what Hunter's reasoning for carrying a concealed loaded weapon around in the first place, and then pointing it around in a threatening manner?
While the latter could be somewhat explained because he was being harassed by the Angels (which some might find justifiable), the first part regarding carrying a concealed weapon has no explanation as far as I know.
Not making Hunter out to be a criminal (even though he was breaking the law), but the above scenario might be part of the reason the jury acquitted Pissaro on grounds of self-defense.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 30, 2018 19:20

KevinLocksPerm

Passaro was cleared of murder.
By insisting he was a murderer, you are actually making a libelous remark.

You want to hope none of his family are reading this, else you might get sued for libelous defamation of character.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 30, 2018 19:23

EddieByword
KevinLocksPerm

You want to hope none of his family are reading this, else you might get sued for libelous defamation of character.

Wow where do you come up with this?

Date: March 30, 2018 19:27

Cooltoplady
EddieByword
KevinLocksPerm

Just by educating myself........eye rolling smiley

Passaro was charged with murder. After an eight-man, four-woman jury deliberated for 12 and a half hours, following 17 days of testimony, Passaro was acquitted on grounds of self-defense. ......... [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: March 30, 2018 19:30

curt
"Was there a big problem with the Angels killing of attacking black people during that time? I have never heard of that."

By the same token I am not aware of any instance in which any Hell's Angel participated in any Civil Rights marches, though they were among those who harried said protesters ...

I have never heard of that. Could I get a source. I know they attacked anti war protesters.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 30, 2018 19:32

PaintMonkeyManBlack
KevinLocksPerm

Facts are:

There is no evidence at all that there are racist motives. It is not like Hunter did nothing. He was a real treat and the Angels responded to that treat. Not on his color. The only "damage" being done was by the motorcycle club .What would you do if YOU were Hunter ? And the members of the motorcycle club did not like the date that you brought to the show ? Seriously making apologies for a murder ? Really ?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 30, 2018 19:35

[stonesdaily.blogspot.de]

Her Brother Was Killed at an Iconic Stones Concert
Nanette Varian

Dixie Ward speaks out about her brother’s death at one of the most notorious rock concerts in history—the Rolling Stones show at Altamont Speedway in December 1969.

It was supposed to be the Rolling Stones’ answer to Woodstock, a free concert 40 years ago this month at Altamont Speedway, in the San Francisco Bay area, tacked on to the end of their American tour. But it degenerated into violence, ending the life of Dixie Ward’s 18-year-old kid brother, Meredith Hunter.

Ward had warned her brother not to go to the concert that day: Meredith was African and Native-American; his girlfriend, Patty Bredehoft, was white. “Blended couples had started to come into vogue in Berkeley,” says Ward, who was 28 at the time. “But in surrounding areas, it was not acceptable. My husband, who had a trucking business, would take me out riding and show me where crosses had been burned on people’s lawns.”

Meredith told his sister, “Don’t worry, I’ve got a gun.” But, Ward tells More.com, he insisted the gun wasn’t loaded. It will just "scare” any troublemakers, he said. Ward says she thought he was joking about bringing a gun. He wasn’t.
The stage at Altamont Speedway was frighteningly low; members of the Hells Angels were brought in to help keep order. The bikers ended up battering the crowd with pool cues, even managing to brain Jefferson Airplane vocalist Marty Balin.

The concert, including Hunter’s killing, was captured in Gimme Shelter, the concert film by documentarians Albert and David Maysles (who would go on to make Grey Gardens). In the film, Mick Jagger watches a loop of the killing in an editing room. Hunter has a gun—it is silhouetted against his date’s crocheted vest—and an Angel stabs him several times, after which the bikers reportedly threw him to the ground and kicked and beat him. “Don’t let him die, please!” Patty Bredehoft sobs to the paramedics. But it is too late.

The oldest of four children of a schizophrenic mother, Dixie often acted as the family caretaker. She remembers Meredith, who was 10 years younger, as an extremely bright and curious child. “When I did laundry I’d find insects and pollywogs in his pockets,” she says. He grew into a tall, cocky teenager. “He was 6 foot 4, and had a beautiful chocolate tan,” she says. Meredith was a flashy dresser with a closet full of brightly colored suits. His sister liked to kid him about them, especially the bottle-green one he can be seen wearing in Gimme Shelter. “I’d say, ‘What are you trying to be, a stoplight?’ ” she recalls teasing him.

According to the new book Let It Bleed: The Rolling Stones, Altamont and the End of the Sixties, by Stones tour photographer Ethan A. Russell with Gerard Van der Leun, Hunter, worried about all the fighting at the concert, went back to his car at one point during the show, retrieved the pistol from his trunk and tucked it into his waistband.

Ward was home listening the radio when she heard a news report that “some erratic person” had attacked the band. She thought nothing of it until a neighbor came and told her Meredith was dead. She went with her mother to the coroner’s office. “When we came back my mother had a Christmas tree up.” Ward recalls. “She covered it with a sheet, and that was the end of our Christmases for a lifetime.”

Over the years there have been conflicting accounts of what happened that day at the foot of the stage. Ward knows now that her brother wasn’t joking about the gun. But she is convinced that it was unloaded, and that Meredith would have drawn it only to counter racist threats. (Sgt. Scott Dudek, of the Alameda County sherrif's office, confirms that the gun was, in fact, loaded.) Of the reports that there was methamphetamine in his system, she says, “I’m not aware of any drug use. I’d given him some antihistamines because he had such bad allergies that day.

Angel Alan Passaro, who is seen stabbing Hunter on film, was tried for murder, and acquitted on the grounds of self defense. A wrongful death lawsuit brought against the Stones by Hunter’s mother, Altha May Anderson, was settled for $10,000. The Alameda County sheriff’s office reopened the case in 1983 to investigate rumors that a different Angel had killed Hunter, but concluded that Passaro had delivered the fatal blow. Passaro died in 1985.

Ward says she's never spoken to Patty Bredehoft about the events of December 6, 1969, nor has she seen Gimme Shelter. “I never wanted to see him running for his life, to know what happened when he took his last breath” she says, her voice catching. “You have to understand, I raised him as my child, practically.”

The month before Meredith died, Ward’s husband was electrocuted in a freak accident. She had three small children, and Meredith stepped up, she says, assuming a fatherly role, coming around the house, teaching her youngest how to cross the street. “I’m always going to be there for you,” he assured her. After he died, Ward says, she had no time to grieve, or even to think. She was thrust back into caretaker mode. “My kids were a mess,” she says. “My mother had a nervous breakdown.”

Now a Montessori educator in her late sixties, Ward has seen more than her share of tragedy: During the past five years she’s lost her two remaining siblings, and her mother (who had turned a spare bedroom into a flower and photo-packed “graveyard” for her dead children, including artificial grass, stepping stones and a bed blanketed with dolls). She takes comfort in her work, her husband (she remarried not long after her brother’s death), her children and grandchildren.

Forty years later, she has “no feelings one way or another,” toward the Rolling Stones. “Nothing can resurrect him,” she says of her brother. “But I think he’d have grown to be a good man.”

Date: March 30, 2018 19:37

EddieByword
Cooltoplady
EddieByword
KevinLocksPerm

Just by educating myself........eye rolling smiley

Passaro was charged with murder. After an eight-man, four-woman jury deliberated for 12 and a half hours, following 17 days of testimony, Passaro was acquitted on grounds of self-defense. ......... [en.wikipedia.org]

Although, I just educated myself further and apparently, no one can defame the dead...........under US & European law at least............so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,carry on with 'your' false claims..............have fun.....spreading lies...............eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 19:40 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 30, 2018 19:51

I'm afraid you're out cycling now EB. There are very demanding prerequisites for prosecuting someone for slander.
Anyone here can speculate on whether Passaro was a murderer or not without risking legal action. Of course.

Date: March 30, 2018 19:56

Stoneage
I'm afraid you're out cycling now EB. There are very demanding prerequisites for prosecuting someone for slander.
Anyone here can speculate on whether Passaro was a murderer or not without risking legal action. Of course.

Yeah, fair enough, I just found that out, the first prerequisite being, the libeled/slandered/defamed must be alive........grinning smiley.........."No one can defame the dead"..........under US & European law at least...........

He was cleared in a US court though, so, if people want to continue to undermine the rule of law by rehashing the whole thing well, so be it.........good luck in exhausting 'your' minds though, for no real purpose........

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 20:08 by EddieByword.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: March 30, 2018 20:13

EddieByword
KevinLocksPerm

Actually I have no comment to make about any indivudual or abòut who did what. I have no in depth interest about who did what. I never even knew the names of individual angels and have never read about any trials. I havent speculated about who did what and I am not interssted in that level of detail.

But at a high level I am critical of those IORR memembers who talk about heroism. Some unpleasant vibes have emerged in this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 20:16 by KevinLocksPerm.

Date: March 30, 2018 20:24

KevinLocksPerm
EddieByword
KevinLocksPerm

Actually I have no comment to make about any indivudual or abòut who did what. I have no in depth interest about who did what. I never even knew the names of individual angels and have never read about any trials. I havent speculated about who did what and I am not interssted in that level of detail.

But at a high level I am critical of those IORR memembers who talk about heroism. Some unpleasant vibes have emerged in this thread.

I have only seen one guy claim that maybe Passaro was a hero. He did because he believed that the Angel attacked Hunter because he was going to kill Mick Jagger or something. It is understandable if he believes that is what happened.

I have not seen anyone say that.

Date: March 30, 2018 20:26

EddieByword
Stoneage

Yeah, fair enough, I just found that out, the first prerequisite being, the libeled/slandered/defamed must be alive........grinning smiley.........."No one can defame the dead"..........under US & European law at least...........

He was cleared in a US court though, so, if people want to continue to undermine the rule of law by rehashing the whole thing well, so be it.........good luck in exhausting 'your' minds though, for no real purpose........

Cleared by an all white Oakland jury. Any thoughts as to how many may have had a taste of paranoia with regarding a guilty verdict and any retribution which may have been forthcoming from the local HA chapter ?

Date: March 30, 2018 20:32

KevinLocksPerm
EddieByword
KevinLocksPerm

You're ok.........apparently defamation law has a restriction dictating that the libeled must be alive ........

You did pose the question "How can anyone regard a murderer to be a hero?" .....No names, no comment etc etc etc.......are you referring to anyone else other than Alan Passaro? ............carry on, insinuating he was a murderer when he was cleared - forget whether he saved other lives or not - God forbid reality should prevail.

I can imagine the conversation if you had been there...."Pray tell, kindly sir, what are you, your goodly self, intending with that magnificent firearm you hold under your 2nd amendment rights?"............BLAM................eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home