Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17
Re: Is the Hells Angel who took out Meredith Hunter a hero?
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 28, 2018 18:33

stanlove
I am amazed at how so many struggle with what happened there. On this thread people have got it wrong again. The thought of some of you people on a jury is scary. The evidence is clear

Here is what happened. The Hell's Angels roughed up Hunter for whatever reason. You can claim racism but there were other black guys there who did not get roughed up and there were white people who did. When the Angels started to rough up Hunter he pulled a gun to protect himself ...

Well I'm not so sure that you have it right either. I've never read that they "roughed him up" before he pulled the gun. If you are using the video as evidence, all you can really tell is that there is some pushing going on, that doesn't imply they were roughing him up.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:34

The Sicilian
LeonidP
Stoneage
Did The Stones actually hire Hells Angels for security? In that case (which I think was not the case...) The Stones are partially to blame.
In any case, the Hells Angel probably did the right thing to intervene. But not to stab him. He should have been sentenced for it. Manslaughter.

Even if the Stones hired them, I fail to see how that makes them partially to blame. You can hire anyone you want, there would be no way to predict in advance that the group would kill someone.

One person did it, he was to blame. Was it justified? That is what we may never know. The girl w/ Meredith could best answer that, what was happening right before the gun came out, were the Angels harassing him?

Has she ever made a public statement? What about any court transcripts?

I believe you can read them, I recall that I did at one point, and I don't think that question was asked.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 28, 2018 18:35

Your theory sounds plausible, Stanlove. I'm leaning towards that scenario myself. That is what I think happened. But I don't know for sure of course.
I wonder what the girl said. Surely she must have witnessed or made a statement.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 28, 2018 18:37

LeonidP
stanlove
I am amazed at how so many struggle with what happened there. On this thread people have got it wrong again. The thought of some of you people on a jury is scary. The evidence is clear

Here is what happened. The Hell's Angels roughed up Hunter for whatever reason. You can claim racism but there were other black guys there who did not get roughed up and there were white people who did. When the Angels started to rough up Hunter he pulled a gun to protect himself ...

Well I'm not so sure that you have it right either. I've never read that they "roughed him up" before he pulled the gun. If you are using the video as evidence, all you can really tell is that there is some pushing going on, that doesn't imply they were roughing him up.

I agree. Then after watching the video you see Hunter stumble towards the stage, raise his arm and point the gun at the stage. If he was protecting himself from abuse on the ground then why didn't he point the gun at someone in the crowd. He clearly was aiming for the stage.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:37

oldschool
Stoneage
I'm sure he could have taken him out without stabbing him. That's my view on the situation. I don't think the stabbing was called for.

I am not defending the stabbing only responding to your question if the Stones hired the Angels. Ronnie S. says no and explains the reasoning in his book.

Sure, Oldschool. But I wasn't responding to your post but the one above.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 28, 2018 18:42

The Sicilian
LeonidP
Stoneage
Did The Stones actually hire Hells Angels for security? In that case (which I think was not the case...) The Stones are partially to blame.
In any case, the Hells Angel probably did the right thing to intervene. But not to stab him. He should have been sentenced for it. Manslaughter.

Even if the Stones hired them, I fail to see how that makes them partially to blame. You can hire anyone you want, there would be no way to predict in advance that the group would kill someone.

One person did it, he was to blame. Was it justified? That is what we may never know. The girl w/ Meredith could best answer that, what was happening right before the gun came out, were the Angels harassing him?

Yes the Angles roughed him up. Witnesses did say that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 18:42 by stanlove.

Posted by: duke richardson ()

stanlove
The Sicilian
KevinLocksPerm
The Sicilian
Hunter raised that gun pointed it at the stage, probably twice. The second time he was grabbed and attacked. When the Angel grabbed his arm he held on to it. Clearly he was trying to prevent a shooting. Hunter was no little guy either. Who was his target? I guess we'll never really know, but he was aiming toward the center of the stage from what I can see in the video.

Maybe if the Angels hadn't spent all day creating such a putrid atmosphere the situation might never have arisen. And shame on whoever thought the Angels were an acceptable security solution.

The whole event was a mistake but the defining mistake was hiring the Angels. All this ex post facto rationalisation of their presence and their conduct is rather distateful.

Rationalize this: even if the Angels weren't there, Hunter was still there in front of the stage with a concealed gun, not somewhere on a hill or way back in the crowd, but right at the stage. At some point the gun was out and aiming at the stage, not at an attacker in the crowd.

Here is what happened. The Hell's Angels roughed up Hunter for whatever reason. You can claim racism but there were other black guys there who did not get roughed up and there were white people who did. When the Angels started to rough up Hunter he pulled a gun to protect himself from the Angels. Because he did that one of the Angles came over and stabbed him. The angel that stabbed him was not protecting the stage he was protecting the Angels that roughed Hunter up to begin with.

1- Are you a hero for stabbing a guy who pulled a gun on your friend because your friend had roughed him up?

2- The constant argument that he was pointing a gun at stage to shoot at someone is ridiculous and at this point actually pretty annoying. It's been half a century and people have not figured that out yet. For one thing he actually never did point at the stage. he pointed it towards the Angels. Even if you erase the Angles from the film then he still did not point it at the stage, he would have pointed it in front of the stage.

Do you people think he actually wanted to shoot at the stage but the Angles got to him before he could pull the trigger? How long does it take to pull a trigger. That theory is idiotic.

ok this is what I've been wondering.

>>Here is what happened. The Hell's Angels roughed up Hunter for whatever reason<<

how do you know this, not trying to be contentious, just asking.

curt, in his above posts, says it was outright racism, and that several Hells Angels told him this, so Hunter was murdered, (according to curt) because the Angels were racists.

LeonidP
Stoneage

Believe me, if you hire The Hell's Angels you are to be blamed just for that. They are a criminal gang. You don't hire criminals to do your security unless you're a criminal yourself.
But, anyhow, The Stones had nothing to do with that apparently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 18:47 by Stoneage.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:50

duke richardson
stanlove
The Sicilian
KevinLocksPerm
The Sicilian
Hunter raised that gun pointed it at the stage, probably twice. The second time he was grabbed and attacked. When the Angel grabbed his arm he held on to it. Clearly he was trying to prevent a shooting. Hunter was no little guy either. Who was his target? I guess we'll never really know, but he was aiming toward the center of the stage from what I can see in the video.

Maybe if the Angels hadn't spent all day creating such a putrid atmosphere the situation might never have arisen. And shame on whoever thought the Angels were an acceptable security solution.

The whole event was a mistake but the defining mistake was hiring the Angels. All this ex post facto rationalisation of their presence and their conduct is rather distateful.

Rationalize this: even if the Angels weren't there, Hunter was still there in front of the stage with a concealed gun, not somewhere on a hill or way back in the crowd, but right at the stage. At some point the gun was out and aiming at the stage, not at an attacker in the crowd.

Here is what happened. The Hell's Angels roughed up Hunter for whatever reason. You can claim racism but there were other black guys there who did not get roughed up and there were white people who did. When the Angels started to rough up Hunter he pulled a gun to protect himself from the Angels. Because he did that one of the Angles came over and stabbed him. The angel that stabbed him was not protecting the stage he was protecting the Angels that roughed Hunter up to begin with.

1- Are you a hero for stabbing a guy who pulled a gun on your friend because your friend had roughed him up?

2- The constant argument that he was pointing a gun at stage to shoot at someone is ridiculous and at this point actually pretty annoying. It's been half a century and people have not figured that out yet. For one thing he actually never did point at the stage. he pointed it towards the Angels. Even if you erase the Angles from the film then he still did not point it at the stage, he would have pointed it in front of the stage.

Do you people think he actually wanted to shoot at the stage but the Angles got to him before he could pull the trigger? How long does it take to pull a trigger. That theory is idiotic.

>>Here is what happened. The Hell's Angels roughed up Hunter for whatever reason<<

curt, in his above posts, says it was outright racism, and that several Hells Angels told him this, so Hunter was murdered, (according to curt) because the Angels were racists.

There was witnesses to it. I will look into it later. I have seen witnesses who did see it. I believe ( could be wrong ) it was even testified to at the trial. If i remember correctly one of the Angels yanked him by the hair when he leaned on or climbed a speaker.

The only person who could tell if Hunter was killed because of racism is the person who killed him. I highly doubt when he saw someone pointing a gun at his friend he quickly thought I better kill this guy because he is black where as he would have just let him shoot as friend if he was white. That makes no sense.

Hunter MIGHT have been attacked in the first place because he was black, BUT he was climbing the speakers or something ( if I remember correctly ) and non blacks were roughed up for that sort of thing also. The naked fat guy for example who you see in the movie got his ass kicked by the Angels. They roughed up the fat naked girl also. Seems like they had something against fat naked people.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 19:40 by stanlove.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:58

stanlove
The Sicilian
LeonidP
Stoneage

Witness statements are that they roughed him up, yes. But I've never read that they did that 'before' he pulled a gun. It may be that is what happened, I just never read that before.

Date: March 28, 2018 19:00

duke richardson
stanlove
The Sicilian
KevinLocksPerm
The Sicilian

Well just because Curt or other Angels said it was racism doesn't make it so. It could have been, the only one that can answer that is the Angel that did it.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 28, 2018 19:22

This inaccuracy needs correction. I never stated that any Hell's Angel told me that it was a matter of racism.

I merely indicated that I was well acquainted with the nature of the beast..

Date: March 28, 2018 19:27

LeonidP
stanlove
The Sicilian
LeonidP
Stoneage

Witness statements are that they roughed him up, yes. But I've never read that they did that 'before' he pulled a gun. It may be that is what happened, I just never read that before.

Here you go.

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

Paul Cox who was standing next to Hunter testified to this.

Cox talked in tones so low they would have been inaudible without the microphone. He told how he saw Hunter standing on a box and blocking the view (they're getting so pushy). He said he saw an Angel "grab the side of his head and shake him": and that when Hunter shook loose, the Angel "hit him and threw him into the crowd.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 19:35 by stanlove.

Date: March 28, 2018 19:38

The Sicilian
LeonidP
stanlove

I agree. Then after watching the video you see Hunter stumble towards the stage, raise his arm and point the gun at the stage. If he was protecting himself from abuse on the ground then why didn't he point the gun at someone in the crowd. He clearly was aiming for the stage.

He did not aim at the stage. Even if he was not aiming at the Angels then he was aiming in front of the stage. Watch the film

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 19:38 by stanlove.

Date: March 28, 2018 19:40

stanlove
LeonidP
stanlove
The Sicilian
LeonidP
Stoneage

Here you go.

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

Paul Cox who was standing next to Hunter testified to this.

Cox talked in tones so low they would have been inaudible without the microphone. He told how he saw Hunter standing on a box and blocking the view (they're getting so pushy). He said he saw an Angel "grab the side of his head and shake him": and that when Hunter shook loose, the Angel "hit him and threw him into the crowd.

Nice, I never saw that before. A couple things based on that:
1) That doesn't seem to warrant pulling out a gun
2) The source is rollingstone, they have been known to be questionable (i.e. proven to have printed false news before) ... I remember reading transcripts looking specifically for what went on beforehand and recall not finding any good info.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: March 28, 2018 19:50

If you watch the film you can see a bunch of Angels on the stage who duck and hide as Hunter comes forward with the gun. I think they were the target, presumably for roughing him up earlier.

Jagger was the other side of the stage and was not the target.
Bill Wyman is the only Stone that can be seen during that moment until Keith walks over to see what's going on..

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 20:01 by mikehat.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 28, 2018 20:01

As I recall from the movie the Angels were roughing up anybody and everybody that even dared go near there bikes or path of there bikes . Real brilliant idea to hire a gang and pay them with BEER . The outcome was predictable that there would be chaos and mayhem .The documentary about the Grateful Dead that came out last year talked about the Angels and even Jerry said they were a real handful or something to that effect .I don't mean any disrespect towards the Angels as I grew up with and went to school with one and knew another one that was also a decent fellow and he was a decent enough fellow, but as far as providing concert security that is a whole other beast better left to actual professionals and there is the rub in what I believe happened because whoever it was that hired the Angels was cutting corners and buy cheap pay twice .

Date: March 28, 2018 20:13

TheGreek
As I recall from the movie the Angels were roughing up anybody and everybody that even dared go near there bikes or path of there bikes . Real brilliant idea to hire a gang and pay them with BEER . The outcome was predictable that there would be chaos and mayhem .The documentary about the Grateful Dead that came out last year talked about the Angels and even Jerry said they were a real handful or something to that effect .I don't mean any disrespect towards the Angels as I grew up with and went to school with one and knew another one that was also a decent fellow and he was a decent enough fellow, but as far as providing concert security that is a whole other beast better left to actual professionals and there is the rub in what I believe happened because whoever it was that hired the Angels was cutting corners and buy cheap pay twice .

It happened because of the anti cop feeling pushed by the left at the time. They didn't want cops around and thought the Angles would be able to handle it. Obviously a huge mistake.

To me one sign of how out of control the Angles were is the actions of the two guys at about 6:56 here. They shake their heads no to Jagger and then quickly look to make sure the Angles are not looking . At least that is my perception of it. Could be wrong.

[www.youtube.com]

By the way the Angle in the background with the head band at 6:50 is this guy.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 20:17 by stanlove.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 28, 2018 20:38

curt

This inaccuracy needs correction. I never stated that any Hell's Angel told me that it was a matter of racism.

I merely indicated that I was well acquainted with the nature of the beast..

ok, then I mischaracterized what you were intending to say. clearly you were

saying Passaro murdered Meredith Hunter. and you indicate a racist mind set, after having known Hell's Angels, so I put the two together.

my apologies if that isnt what you meant.
thumbs up

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 28, 2018 20:58

mikehat
If you watch the film you can see a bunch of Angels on the stage who duck and hide as Hunter comes forward with the gun. I think they were the target, presumably for roughing him up earlier.

Bill Wyman is the only Stone that can be seen during that moment until Keith walks over to see what's going on..

From the Rolling Stone article:

One Angel later told it this way to KSAN-FM: This black guy had come toward the stage and been pushed off by Angels. "He flipped over and he's got this revolver — it looked like a cannon. It was pointed right at me. I hit the deck and this gun was pointed right at Jagger." And then, according to this account, "everybody was on him and that was the last I seen of him . . . When it was all over, man, Jagger looks at me and says, 'why?' I says: 'I dunno, man, that's just the way people are.'"

Date: March 28, 2018 21:01

The Sicilian
mikehat

One Angel later told it this way to KSAN-FM: This black guy had come toward the stage and been pushed off by Angels. "He flipped over and he's got this revolver — it looked like a cannon. It was pointed right at me. I hit the deck and this gun was pointed right at Jagger." And then, according to this account, "everybody was on him and that was the last I seen of him . . . When it was all over, man, Jagger looks at me and says, 'why?' I says: 'I dunno, man, that's just the way people are.'"

They film shows it slightly differently.

1:23:25...

[www.youtube.com]

When the scuffle begins, the only Stone to be seen is Wyman.
When the Camera pulls out after the scuffle, you can see that Jagger is on the other side of the stage, nowhere near the action.

I guess they thought that saying that Jagger was in danger, it gives some kind of justification for their actions and makes them heroes.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 21:14 by mikehat.

Date: March 28, 2018 21:15

mikehat
The Sicilian
mikehat

[www.youtube.com]

When the Camera pulls out after the scuffle, you can see that Jagger is on the other side of the stage, nowhere near the action.

Yes. That is just that one Angel's perception and he was clearly wrong. I have asked before and have never got anyone to point it out. At what point in the video is the gun pointed at the stage? I never saw it pointed at the stage.

There is a picture on google images that shows right when the trouble might have started with Hunter. It shows him next the stage and an Angel talking to him about about pushing or something. It doesn't look like a pleasant conversation. But who knows. I don't know how to post pictures.

[www.google.com]:

Date: March 28, 2018 21:20

stanlove
mikehat
The Sicilian
mikehat

[www.youtube.com]

Yes. That is just that one Angel's perception and he was clearly wrong. I have asked before and have never got anyone to point it out. At what point in the video is the gun pointed at the stage? I never saw it pointed at the stage.

There is a picture on google images that shows right when the trouble might have started with Hunter. It shows him next the stage and an Angel talking to him about about pushing or something. It doesn't look like a pleasant conversation. But who knows. I don't know how to post pictures.

[www.google.com]:

I agree.
The Stones were never the target. That's a fallacy made up by the angels.

Hunter got roughed up by Angels, came out waving a gun in the direction of Angels and got stabbed by an Angel. Jagger was nowhere near any of this.

Also worth noting, the guy in the glasses in that pic is one of the guys that ducks and hides when the gun first appears.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 28, 2018 21:24

One good thing if you can say this is that I believe the Stones organization got together and figured out how to provide security and how to protect the Stones from anything like this ever happening again .You have to admit that the Stones are very professional in how they organize every aspect of there production .

Date: March 28, 2018 21:39

mikehat
stanlove
mikehat
The Sicilian
mikehat

[www.youtube.com]

[www.google.com]:

I agree.

Hunter got roughed up by Angels, came out waving a gun in the direction of Angels and got stabbed by an Angel. Jagger was nowhere near any of this.

Also worth noting, the guy in the glasses in that pic is one of the guys that ducks and hides when the gun first appears.

The witness who said the Angles roughed up Hunter was reliable for a couple of reasons. I am pretty sure he testified before the Movie came out. He said that Hunter was near the stage when he got roughed up and the Angles threw him into the crowd on the right side. We see in the movie that all of a sudden he is not near the stage anymore and is in the crowd on the right side.

It would not make sense that Hunter if he wanted to shoot at the stage would be right near and in front of the stage, which we can see he was from the film, but then all of a sudden goes into the crowd and pulls his gun. That makes no sense at all. During the movie they show him in front of the stage shortly before it all happened and he still had his hat on. he made it all day with his hat then all of a sudden it is not on him when he pulls his gun. Obviously something happened to him before that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 21:44 by stanlove.

Date: March 28, 2018 21:40

TheGreek
One good thing if you can say this is that I believe the Stones organization got together and figured out how to provide security and how to protect the Stones from anything like this ever happening again .You have to admit that the Stones are very professional in how they organize every aspect of there production .

I saw Jagger say he learned never to put him into a situation again where he totally had no control.

Date: March 28, 2018 22:18

stanlove
TheGreek

I saw Jagger say he learned never to put him into a situation again where he totally had no control.

Then how does he explain Superheavy??? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 28, 2018 22:33

And what if Hunter had fired the gun and killed someone other than the "Angel" that stabbed him to death? What if he had killed one or two fans before getting stabbed. Doesnt make Hells Angels into heroes. They're not.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 28, 2018 22:34

Had Hunter not pulled the gun, would he be alive today?

Date: March 28, 2018 22:56

stanlove
mikehat
stanlove
mikehat
The Sicilian
mikehat

[www.youtube.com]

[www.google.com]:

I agree.

The witness who said the Angles roughed up Hunter was reliable for a couple of reasons. I am pretty sure he testified before the Movie came out. He said that Hunter was near the stage when he got roughed up and the Angles threw him into the crowd on the right side. We see in the movie that all of a sudden he is not near the stage anymore and is in the crowd on the right side.

It would not make sense that Hunter if he wanted to shoot at the stage would be right near and in front of the stage, which we can see he was from the film, but then all of a sudden goes into the crowd and pulls his gun. That makes no sense at all. During the movie they show him in front of the stage shortly before it all happened and he still had his hat on. he made it all day with his hat then all of a sudden it is not on him when he pulls his gun. Obviously something happened to him before that.

well he was still with his girlfriend

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1941
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home