Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 17
Re: Is the Hells Angel who took out Meredith Hunter a hero?
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:16

Redhotcarpet
And what if Hunter had fired the gun and killed someone other than the "Angel" that stabbed him to death? What if he had killed one or two fans before getting stabbed. Doesnt make Hells Angels into heroes. They're not.

I don't think he was going to fire the gun ( he said he wasn't as he was dying ) and proof of that is the fact that he did not. If he planned to fire it what was he waiting for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 23:17 by stanlove.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:24

mikehat
I agree.
The Stones were never the target. That's a fallacy made up by the angels.

Hunter got roughed up by Angels, came out waving a gun in the direction of Angels and got stabbed by an Angel. Jagger was nowhere near any of this.

Also worth noting, the guy in the glasses in that pic is one of the guys that ducks and hides when the gun first appears.

You know this how? The gun was pointed up at the stage and that is no fallacy. He did not point it at someone in the audience or to the side of the stage. The video shows it pointed towards the middle of the stage. In fact Hunter was separated from his girlfriend when it all started. Why would he leave her side? Nobody does that.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:30

No.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:31

It was reported in other stories about Altamont that the Angels were harassing Hunter well before he pulled the gun. I am at work right now but will try to find the sources when I get home.

It was also reported that Hunter said to an Angel after getting stabbed "I wasn't going to shoot you"

Another report that the ANgels were not hired as security

Arguably the most infamous decision was to invite the Hells Angels. Although the popular perception is that the bikers were hired as security, the arrangement was in reality much less formal. In exchange for $500 in beer, the Angels would park their bikes near the stage and provide a visual deterrent to anyone who might consider climbing on the equipment — much like they’d done for Grateful Dead free shows in the past.

[www.eastbaytimes.com]

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:33

The Sicilian
mikehat
I agree.

Hunter got roughed up by Angels, came out waving a gun in the direction of Angels and got stabbed by an Angel. Jagger was nowhere near any of this.

Also worth noting, the guy in the glasses in that pic is one of the guys that ducks and hides when the gun first appears.

You know this how? The gun was pointed up at the stage and that is no fallacy. He did not point it at someone in the audience or to the side of the stage. The video shows it pointed towards the middle of the stage. In fact Hunter was separated from his girlfriend when it all started. Why would he leave her side? Nobody does that.

I've already explained in my previous posts why I think it's a fallacy that the Stones were the target, I'm not going to do it again.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:38

Why shut it down? This moment is a huge event in Rolling Stones history. The odds were good that someone was going to get shot either on stage or in the crowd.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:44

ive always thought that Hunter was a little groggy from already being hit so his "aim" was not all that accurate; and was just trying to point his gun at the Angels.

by the way, while we are on the topic, I've always wondered but never seen a name put to him...who is the guy back stage talking to a cameraman about the incident and says one of the angels has just shown him the gun...was he ever called to testify in the later Passero trial?

finally Joel Selvins recent book "Altamont" is a good read on the events leading up to and including the concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 23:53 by HalfNanker.

Date: March 28, 2018 23:47

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 23:51 by mikehat.

Date: March 28, 2018 23:48

HalfNanker
ive always thought that Hunter was a little groggy from already being hit so his "aim" was not all that accurate; and was just trying to point eh gun at the Angels.

It does look like he's off balance, trying to find his feet, and that could be from being knocked down which lead to him reaching for the gun.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 23:50 by mikehat.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:55

mikehat
HalfNanker
ive always thought that Hunter was a little groggy from already being hit so his "aim" was not all that accurate; and was just trying to point eh gun at the Angels.

It does look like he's off balance, trying to find his feet, and that could be from being knocked down which lead to him reaching for the gun.

as i recall, I'm pretty sure Selvin's book corroborates that Hunter had already been attacked by them

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:57

Right - it's a dark but important point in Stones history.

I still stand in awe - they really had balls to enter that stage. I would certainly have shit my pants then...

If you see the video, with the guy high on acid - and it was BAD acid around by then. And little I know about acid but from the little I do know I tell you: it's overwhelming and so powerful that you can't even recognize yourself anymore if you forget that you're on acid. If you forget that, then off you go...

Then there's thousands of people, the dogs stroll around the stage, there's no security whatsoever but lots of people out of their minds.

And you have to deliver a gig. Congratulations! You can see how frightened Jagger was and how hostile the Angel looks at Mick as he jumps around the stage trying to keep the audience entertained and calm.

It frightens me to the bones everytime I see that video. Sheer wonder, that nothing much more serious had happend, really!

Meredith wasn't sober - I bet - and the Angels weren't either. What a mess. Who's to blame? The hippie times seem to have ended then, although I still think their swing was towards the right direction, IMHO...

Peace, sisters & brothers!
Johannes

Date: March 28, 2018 23:58

waterrats

Meredith wasn't sober - I bet

I believe his girlfriend said he was high on some form of speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 23:59 by mikehat.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:59

mikehat
waterrats

Meredith wasn't sober - I bet

I believe his girlfriend said he was high on some form of speed.

Yea - this an what else - it was a FREE concert, hehehe :-)

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 29, 2018 00:24

Its stunning that the Stones played a full concert at an insanely high level. Probably a good thing for leaving early might have caused a riot

Date: March 29, 2018 01:14

The Sicilian
mikehat
I agree.

I am sorry but have you even read through this thread? IF you can read through this thread and still think that Hunter might have been trying to shoot anyone but an Angel then I don't know what else to tell you. When all the evidence is looked at it really can't be any more clear that Hunter was not trying to shoot anyone but an Angel at best.He might have only been trying to scare them and not shoot anyone.

You asked why he left his girlfriend, That was already explained in this thread. The witness who has to be deemed reliable because everything he said matched up with the film ( he testified before he saw the film ) said the Angles pushed Hunter back into the crowd right before he grabbed his gun. Your question is strange anyways. Why would you ask that and what is it supposed to mean? You can see Hunter earlier and i don;t believe his girlfriend was right by his side there either. Why does this matter?

Can you point out exactly when the gun is pointed towards the stage? Give me the time that this happens.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 01:23 by stanlove.

Date: March 29, 2018 01:58

stanlove
The Sicilian
mikehat
I agree.

I am sorry but have you even read through this thread? IF you can read through this thread and still think that Hunter might have been trying to shoot anyone but an Angel then I don't know what else to tell you. When all the evidence is looked at it really can't be any more clear that Hunter was not trying to shoot anyone but an Angel at best.He might have only been trying to scare them and not shoot anyone.

You asked why he left his girlfriend, That was already explained in this thread. The witness who has to be deemed reliable because everything he said matched up with the film ( he testified before he saw the film ) said the Angles pushed Hunter back into the crowd right before he grabbed his gun. Your question is strange anyways. Why would you ask that and what is it supposed to mean? You can see Hunter earlier and i don;t believe his girlfriend was right by his side there either. Why does this matter?

Can you point out exactly when the gun is pointed towards the stage? Give me the time

Watch the slow motion in the video from 7:12 until 7:42 if you cannot see his focus and arm twice aim up at the stage then you're just refuse to acknowledge the what is plainly in video. The gun is pointing up not down and not straight ahead.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: March 29, 2018 02:10

The Sicilian
stanlove
The Sicilian
mikehat
I agree.

Can you point out exactly when the gun is pointed towards the stage? Give me the time

Watch the slow motion in the video from 7:12 until 7:42 if you cannot see his focus and arm twice aim up at the stage then you're just refuse to acknowledge the what is plainly in video. The gun is pointing up not down and not straight ahead.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Apart from when he loses his balance, he is staring directly at a bunch of angels on and in front of the stage.
At 7.14 you see the gun pointed down towards the ones in front of the stage.
When he gets back up after falling at 7.17 he is trying to aim at them again, still looking directly at the angels, just before he gets stabbed.

I think you're the one that's refusing to see what is very obvious.
Once again, the Stones are nowhere to be seen, other than Wyman.
There is a bunch of angels right there that he is heading for and staring right at them.

As explained by Stan Love, a witness testified that he was roughed up by angels before the incident. Then he pulls a gun with them in the firing line yet you still want to believe that he wanted to kill Jagger.
There is nothing whatsoever to back this up. Jagger was on the right hand side near the drooling angel. The gun is at no time pointed there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 02:11 by mikehat.

Date: March 29, 2018 02:17

stanlove

What is strange about it? What are you implying?

Why would he leave her and wander off with so many people packed in front and all the chaos and fighting going on? Why is carrying such a large hand gun? Maybe he came there with the intention of shooting a member of the band. Maybe he was trying to get onto the stage. Lots of possibilities.

Date: March 29, 2018 02:30

The Sicilian
stanlove

Why would he leave her and wander off with so many people packed in front and all the chaos and fighting going on? Why is carrying such a large hand gun? Maybe he came there with the intention of shooting a member of the band. Maybe he was trying to get onto the stage. Lots of possibilities.

Why would anyone wanting to murder a famous person on stage wear a bright green suit?
Surely it would be better to wear something plain so you could blend in and disappear quickly?

If he was trying to get on stage, why wait until half way through the Stones set?
He had already been closer to the front than he was at that point, as seen earlier in the movie.

In regards to the girlfriend, you assume he left her yet they both could've been knocked down or even separated by the many scuffles that were happening.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 02:34 by mikehat.

Date: March 29, 2018 02:37

mikehat
Apart from when he loses his balance, he is staring directly at a bunch of angels on and in front of the stage.
When he gets back up after falling at 7.17 he is trying to aim at them again, still looking directly at the angels, just before he gets stabbed.

There is a bunch of angels right there that he is heading for and staring right at them.

As explained by Stan Love, a witness testified that he was roughed up by angels before the incident. Then he pulls a gun with them in the firing line yet you still want to believe that he wanted to kill Jagger.
There is nothing whatsoever to back this up. Jagger was on the right hand side near the drooling angel. The gun is at no time pointed there.

Just before the Angel grabbed his arm, Hunter's wrist was up by his head (look at the black shirt sleeve) which means for a guy well over six feet tall he was aiming up. Jeez, analyze the video. He could shot any Angel right in front of him or to the side. Nobody really knows for sure, but your scenario seems unlikely.

Date: March 29, 2018 02:40

mikehat
The Sicilian
stanlove

Why would anyone wanting to murder a famous person on stage wear a bright green suit?
Surely it would be better to wear something plain so you could blend in and disappear quickly?

If he was trying to get on stage, why wait until half way through the Stones set?
He had already been closer to the front than he was at that point, as seen earlier in the movie.

In regards to the girlfriend, you assume he left her yet they both could've been knocked down or even separated by the many scuffles that were happening.

Honestly, I thought about that. The only thing I've concluded is that maybe he was on a suicide mission and he wanted to be noticed and remembered for it. He did seem uptight in an earlier view.

Date: March 29, 2018 02:50

The Sicilian
mikehat

Just before the Angel grabbed his arm, Hunter's wrist was up by his head (look at the black shirt sleeve) which means for a guy well over six feet tall he was aiming up. Jeez, analyze the video. He could shot any Angel right in front of him or to the side. Nobody really knows for sure, but your scenario seems unlikely.

I've analyzed the video many times thank you very much.
The first time he appears he is trying to break loose from what looks like him being held back by someone. The gun is in the air at that point.
That person then runs off to the left out of shot. Blink and you'll miss it.
Once he breaks free he stumbles and tried to find his feet, the gun being at the floor during this moment. As he gets up he aims his gun towards the angels.
Passaro grabs hunters arm at the same time as a guy behind him, tries to hold Passaro back.
A bunch of angel are right there in the firing line, not long after witnesses saw him being roughed up by angels.

The reason he didn't shoot just any old angel?
I would guess that he had a specific one, or more than one in mind.
The ones that roughed him up earlier.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 03:01 by mikehat.

Date: March 29, 2018 03:06

mikehat
The Sicilian
mikehat

The first time he appears he is trying to break loose from what looks like him being held back by someone. The gun is in the air at that point.
Once he breaks free he stumbles and tried to find his feet, the gun being at the floor during this moment. As he gets up he aims his gun towards the angels.
Passaro grabs hunters arm at the same time as a guy behind him, tries to hold Passaro back.
A bunch of angel are right there in the firing line, not long after witnesses saw him being roughed up by angels.

Without looking, was that gun in his right hand or left?

Date: March 29, 2018 03:10

The Sicilian
mikehat
The Sicilian
mikehat

Without looking, was that gun in his right hand or left?

What is this, a playground?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 03:11 by mikehat.

Date: March 29, 2018 04:07

The Sicilian
mikehat
The Sicilian
stanlove

Honestly, I thought about that. The only thing I've concluded is that maybe he was on a suicide mission and he wanted to be noticed and remembered for it. He did seem uptight in an earlier view.

Lets go through this again.

1- Hunter is right in front of the stage and it is seen right on video. He doesn't pull gun to shoot at stage.

2- Hunter is roughed up by Hell's Angles and pushed into the crowd and then grabs his gun.

Are you saying that he wanted to shoot at someone on stage but waited til the Angles roughed him up. Kind of like : The Angels roughed me up so now i am going to kill Mick Jagger "

Does this make any sense to you?

AS for his girlfriend again why does it matter that he is not near her all the time? It looks like from the movie that she knew someone else there also. Could be there were hanging out and he ventured once in a while. Why is this even an issue?

I can tell from your posts that you are the type that ignores what is known and tries to make arguments based on what we don't know. When you look at what we do know it is very clear what happened.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 29, 2018 04:45

"...the Angels had taken notice of Hunter early on during the Stones’ set, which led to a confrontation that made Hunter irate and upset.
Despite a tearful plea from his girlfriend, Patty Bredehoft, Hunter stormed back toward the stage and pulled out a gun.
One of the Angels working security, Alan Passaro, grabbed him with his left hand and stabbed him several times with his right".

Meredith Hunter

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 29, 2018 05:04

mikehat
The Sicilian
mikehat
I agree.

I've already explained in my previous posts why I think it's a fallacy that the Stones were the target, I'm not going to do it again.

Yeah, I don't get how anyone can determine where he was 'pointing' the gun, it looks to me like it just swings w/ his arm motion, he never had a chance to point it.

Date: March 29, 2018 05:25

Here is a perspective of Hunter in relation to the stage and the Angels, as he towers over the crowd.

Here is rarely seen photo of Hunter closer to the stage just forward of the above picture and surrounded by fans and no Angels harassing him at this point.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 29, 2018 05:43

The Sicilian
Here is a perspective of Hunter in relation to the stage and the Angels, as he towers over the crowd.

Here is rarely seen photo of Hunter closer to the stage just forward of the above picture and surrounded by fans and no Angels harassing him at this point.

In the second pic, looks like that dude in the leather jacket who I assume is an Angel has shoved or pulled him down and is aggressively glaring and staring him down getting between him and the others around him.
In first pic Hunter is standing much taller in relation to others around him (same people in second pic), and the dude in the leather jacket hasn't stepped in yet.

If he wanted to take a shot at the stage or Jagger, seems the first pic would have been the opportune time - standing tall with no hassles around him.
But instead he waits for a melee to ensue with a bunch of bikers, and then decides now is his chance? That really doesn't make any sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 05:45 by Hairball.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 29, 2018 05:50

Personally I've never believed Hunter had even the slightest intention to shoot at The Rolling Stones or the stage.
It has been endlessly debated naturally. I guess for me the most reliable
info comes from interviews with those personally close in the crowd
to Hunter and this woman; pretty much a first-date those two I believe.
Especially those few with extended exposure to them before the killing.

I spent some hours poring over reports; trying to get views other than
commentary and critiques after the fact.
It seemed these people were in a music groove with it all according to
fans close to them. Hunter could have caused a tragedy had he wanted to;
he was close to the stage for long periods prior to all this.
Just who exactly started 'hassling' him; and exactly when,
seemed to have a genesis and evolution over the course of the set.

nothing heroic about Passaro imo; i think Mick's balancing act
there showed some courage. friggin altamont; pita altamont.
snuff film promotion altamont.

i'm gonna listen to ya yas and the Oakland boot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 05:54 by hopkins.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home