Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What is your favorite Stones-year and why?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 19, 2017 15:40

Why? It's only Rock n roll, the album. Keith's rotten teeth. Mick in the video for Ain't too proud to beg. Keith's solo gigs. Taylors work on the album. Till the next time we say goodbye. Keiths guitar on Dance little sister. The song If you can't rock me. Time waits for no one. No tour, a transitional year just like my other favorite: 1977.

Edit: Sure the one you need. The Munich sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-19 19:54 by Redhotcarpet.

Re: What is your favorite Stones-year and why?
Date: October 19, 2017 16:09

2007, saw them 5 times and travelled trough europe

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 19, 2017 16:10

1968. A phoenix rising from its ashes. Jumping Jack Flash and Beggar's Banquet. Although my favourite album is Exile, it wouldn't have existed if they hadn't found their true identity in 1968.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 19, 2017 16:13

Hard call.

It has to be a Brian Jones year, because that line up made it all happen.

I would say 1965: the second US tour, TAMI show, an impressive run of singles and LPs, Satisfaction ...

Second best 81

C

Date: October 19, 2017 16:14

Redhotcarpet
Why? It's only Rock n roll, the album. Keith's rotten teeth. Mick in the video for Ain't too proud to beg. Keith's solo gigs. Taylors work on the album. Till the next time we say goodbye. Keiths guitar on Dance little sister. The song If you can't rock me. Time waits for no one. No tour, a transitional year just like my other favorite: 1977.

Did I miss something?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 19, 2017 16:19

This year - 2017. Mainly because it's still an option and, someday, "this year" will no longer be an option.

Also because:

June through September were pretty special for me as I prepped for the IORR Band show and the trip to Amsterdam with my family. Seeing the Stones on September 30th (thanks again Joe!) in Amsterdam was the "cherry on top" of what was a fantastic summer for me (and my family).

Here's hoping that 2018 will be an even better Stones-year than this one has been! Not quite sure how it could top this year, but I'm looking forward to it!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: October 19, 2017 16:19

Same answer as always "THIS year is my favorite Stones year".
I am excited for the live Stones show later today, lets hope the feeds are strong in Paris.

Date: October 19, 2017 16:26

For me it's definitely 1990. My first Stones-show.

Spent the night in a sleeping bag in line outside of a kiosk in downtown Oslo to score a ticket.

Spent three nights with friends in the park round the stadium before the show. We were first in line, and were interviewed by the national paper.

Here's the pic, btw smiling smiley

Oh, and the show was awesome! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-19 16:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: October 19, 2017 16:28

DandelionPowderman

Spent the night in a sleeping bag in line outside of a kiosk in downtown Oslo to score a ticket.

Spent three nights with friends in the park round the stadium before the show. We were first in line, and were interviews by the national paper.

smoking smiley THAT is a GREAT picture... those Stones Smiles tell the whole story!smileys with beer

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 19, 2017 16:42

1966 - the Stones built on the incredible success of the previous year when they became successful on a world-wide scale.

But instead of treading water they moved into new sonic territory with songs like the eastern sounding Paint It Black, the absolute garage punk of Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The shadows and 19th Nervous Breakdown and of course their first completely self-written album Aftermath.

Brian was also at his peak in terms of studio experimentation and they had every reason to look forward to a bright future.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 19, 2017 17:04

1975 - I was born and they toured like hell in the Americas. Which led to Love you live - a record I just love so much!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 19, 2017 17:05

matxil
1968. A phoenix rising from its ashes. Jumping Jack Flash and Beggar's Banquet. Although my favourite album is Exile, it wouldn't have existed if they hadn't found their true identity in 1968.

Hard to argue with that smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 19, 2017 17:34

1975: My Stones journey began
2018: Solid new album and UK tour plus....??????????

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 19, 2017 17:36

1999 - I had finished school, was very happy about that, went to the Stones in Stuttgart and Cologne. Apart from Ronnie Wood the whole band was on fire. Then I was completely flashed by their performance.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 19, 2017 17:40

1973. I became a fan.
1976 my first concert..the Hague holland
My first album i bought black n blue
1982 great concerts in rotterdam
2017 amazing concerts in lucca amsterdam hamburg and arnhem(my 35 th).
2018 uk tour
Jeroen

Date: October 19, 2017 17:50

Spud
matxil

Unless you fail to see songs like Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, 19th Nervous Breakdown, LSTNT, Ruby Tuesday, Back Street Girl, 2000 LYFH, Citadel, She's A Rainbow, We Love You, Dandelion or Child Of The Moon as «ashes» smoking smiley

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 19, 2017 17:51

1962 I was born (and of course...)
1977 became a fan
1982 my first gig in Vienna

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 19, 2017 17:53

The most recent I've seen them live would be my perennial response.
As of now that would be 2016..

Loved both Desert Trip and the Vegas shows... had the time of my life at DT.. on the rail in the pit right by where cameras were positioned and where both Mick and Keith would stop to play and pose. Best ever. And the Vegas show, one year ago tonight, was a welcome change of pace after DT, relaxed and despite Mick's illness, or perhaps because of it, had the band never sounding better.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 19, 2017 18:01

music catalog wise it is hard to tell it changes depend on my mood: 1965, 1968-72, 1975, 1978

1982: first (missed) concert but first record bought (beginning of the addiction)
1990: first concert

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 19, 2017 18:10

DandelionPowderman
Spud
matxil

Unless you fail to see songs like Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, 19th Nervous Breakdown, LSTNT, Ruby Tuesday, Back Street Girl, 2000 LYFH, Citadel, She's A Rainbow, We Love You, Dandelion or Child Of The Moon as «ashes» smoking smiley

smiling smiley Well, alright then, not ashes but "smouldering coals". Indeed, with the occasional light and flames in between duds and mishaps (not only musically).

Also, in 1968 I was born (although as far as I remember not in a crossfire hurricane).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 19, 2017 19:18

1963 - because it was the year I was born.

After that, has to be 2003. I traveled to Europe to celebrate my 40th birthday for a seven week journey through Scandinavia, Netherlands, England, and Scotland - all of which are part of my ancestry.
Landed in Stockholm, Sweden the night before my birthday, and during the following week saw all three Stones shows there (stadium, arena, theater) - beautiful city! The Stones and I then went our separate ways - they continuing their tour, and I touring all around Scandinavia via train, but we eventually reunited in the Netherlands. While there, I saw all five shows in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and the ultimate Vredenberg show in Utrecht. Took a flight over to London, and lo and behold Charlie was on the same flight - it was as if he was following me! I saw all three shows in London at Wembley arena, Twickenham, and the Astoria, and with an added bonus saw Mick Taylor at the 100 Club with apprx. 350 other people. From there traveled up to Scotland via train, and saw both shows at Glasgow's SECC arena for the ultimate grand finale of my journey. Went back to London for a few days, and then made the journey back home. Memories for a lifetime.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 19, 2017 19:31

difficult to pick a particular year.

i discovered the band late 1987,got into them in a big way 1988 and 1989, then the first album and tour after that was special, saw them in 1990.

but if i had to pick just 1 year it would be 1968.

year i was born, jj flash and beggars, and brian still played on some stuff.

Date: October 19, 2017 19:55

liddas
Hard call.

It has to be a Brian Jones year, because that line up made it all happen.

I would say 1965: the second US tour, TAMI show, an impressive run of singles and LPs, Satisfaction ...

Second best 81

C

I want to pick a Brian-year too. 1966. Why? Brian - king of rock, fashion and pop in 1966.

Date: October 19, 2017 19:57

DandelionPowderman

Spent three nights with friends in the park round the stadium before the show. We were first in line, and were interviewed by the national paper.

That's Keith in the middle? thumbs upwinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-19 19:58 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: October 19, 2017 19:58

schwonek
1975 - I was born and they toured like hell in the Americas. Which led to Love you live - a record I just love so much!

Amen.

Date: October 19, 2017 20:04

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Did I miss something?

Haha. Yeah I know. I could and should pick 1966 (Brian), 1968/1969 (need I say more), 1972/73 (the amazing over earthly glorious live years), the image making 1975 or maybe 1981 or 1978. Or maybe 1964. You gotta love those lost years, those between tours, in the wake of greatness (1974) or the foreshadowing (1977) of their greatest comeback.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-19 23:39 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: October 19, 2017 20:58

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Did I miss something?

Haha. Yeah I know. I could and should pick 1966 (Brian), 1968/1969 (need I say more), 1972/73 (the live years), the image making 1975 or maybe 1981 or 1978. Or maybe 1964. But not. You gotta love those lost years, those between tours, in the wake of greatness (1974) or the foreshadowing (1977) of their greatest comeback.

I was thinking of Keith's "solo gigs". Kilburn, you mean?

1966 was an awesome Stones year indeed thumbs up

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 19, 2017 21:05

It was the year 1964 when: “It’s All Over Now”, by The Rolling Stones came blasting out of a jukebox in my local fries shop.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: October 19, 2017 21:24

2017 because the Stones are playing live and have never sounded better.

1989, my first Stones show. 2002, my first travel to Europe to take in some Stones shows.

1983-1986, Nothing beat driving from the well-to-do suburbs on seedy side streets to Chicago, drinking a few beers, smoking a few , hoping to find some live blues. My high school years, when I discovered music and the Stones.

1968 through 1978 because they were dripping sex, drugs and rock-n-roll.

1963-1968 because those young men were so talented, writing great songs and all the while just forming their chops.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 19, 2017 21:56

X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 15:44 by UrbanSteel.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home