Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 127
Re: The Rolling Stones 2018 tour rumours - UK and more
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 11, 2018 19:17

StonesSmeth99
50,000 could attend the cricket ground in Manchester but surely they are considering the football ground... as noted by others, England play Australia on 24 June at the cricket ground so it's unlikely they would have a concert there 2 weeks before. However money rules...
I've been to both venues today (5 minutes walk apart) - hard to believe summer nights are 3-4 months away! Freezing sleet today..

Totally agree. Think the football stadium is the far more likely venue. Much easier to hire a football stadium in early June than a cricket stadium in mid-season.

Lancashire CC's fixtures for 2018 would suggest an early June date would be unlikely

[www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk]

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: February 11, 2018 19:30

Wait and see, thats my opinion.
Who is able to say at this moment: that or that location?
Greets,

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: February 11, 2018 19:38

Beast
corriecas
Hullo, just Noticed...
Bjornulf put the rumoured UK 2018 gigs up !!
Jeroen

Yes, yes, YES!! thumbs up

Yup. smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2018 20:13

grzegorz67
Hairball
mpj200
I think the band would love to play, even close out a US tour at MSG. But there is a conflict with the building and their promoter.

Oh boy...sounds like a return to the US isn't that farfetched after all, and is close to becoming a reality!
If they ever come back to Southern California - or maybe even Las *Vegas - I might give it a shot if I can get decent tickets at a reasonable price.
Not a chance I'll pay face value if the prices are the same they've been the last several US tours, but when the Stones are in town I'll do my best to be there - it's tradition!
Would probably have to rely on stubhub and the secondary market (and the inevitable last minute price drops), but it's worked out great in the past and if there's a will there's a way.

ps - I vaguely recall a post stating that after the UK tour the band will hope to finish the album and possibly return to the US to promote it's release.
Don't remember if that was you that posted that mpj200, but it's all starting to make perfect sense now if it does become a reality.

Meanwhile, and back on topic...waiting and hoping for the UK tour announcement for all of those who want to attend!thumbs up

They might surprise us but I think you’re dreaming to be honest. Charlie is 77 this year and the whole band are now over 70. I think they’ll organise this tour so that it ends on those rumoured Twickenham dates. Twickenham is in London, their home city and the stadium is very close to Richmond, where it all began with their regular residency at the Crawdaddy Club in 1962/63, 55/56 years ago. I honestly think this is it and finishing on home turf seems apt.

I almost agree with your entire post - especially the detailed history lesson (thanks). But the part that I'm "dreaming" is a bit off as I really don't care that much one way or the other to be honest. But the fact that mpj200 states "there is a conflict with the building and their promoter" leads me to believe that something might be in the works. Promoters don't contact arenas (MSG in this case) for future shows unless there's a possibility there will in fact be future shows. And aside from MSG, how many other arenas have been contacted? If MSG falls through - not a big deal as there's hundreds and maybe even thousands of arenas across the land that would be happy to host the Rolling Stones. Yes it would seem appropriate for the Stones to end it all in London and I've said that many times in the past (as recently as two or three days ago), but who are we to say? At this point all I can say is "keep on rolling". You can believe mpj200 or not, but he's always given insightful inside knowledge whether it's recording sessions and/or shows - he's a man I can trust.

But back to the topic at hand - this is unbelievably great news on a Sunday morning to see that BV has taken the step to put up the rumoured dates for all who have been hoping, speculating, wishing, and...dreaming!!! thumbs up

The Rolling Stones tour of UK & Ireland 2018

Date: February 11, 2018 20:20

Monsoon Ragoon
Charlie is very fit for his age. He can do 12, 13 shows a year until he's 81 or 82. Jagger too. BUT I'm not so sure about Ron and Keith.

I think "young" Ronnie could easily keep up with Charlie and Mick, and his performances of recent years has shown that he actually has his head in the game vs. in the past when he was somehere else to put it politely.
Looking forward, Keith is really the big question mark, but he'll keep wanting to go on no matter how diminished/deteriorated his guitar playing skills become.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 11, 2018 20:31

Topi
You actually asked her? winking smiley

Most guys here have to, in one way or another.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 11, 2018 20:42

Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon
Charlie is very fit for his age. He can do 12, 13 shows a year until he's 81 or 82. Jagger too. BUT I'm not so sure about Ron and Keith.

I think "young" Ronnie could easily keep up with Charlie and Mick, and his performances of recent years has shown that he actually has his head in the game vs. in the past when he was somehere else to put it politely.
Looking forward, Keith is really the big question mark, but he'll keep wanting to go on no matter how diminished/deteriorated his guitar playing skills become.

Keef was on fire, for the last 5 gigs of the last 2017 tour. Maybe you watched from your sofa. but he was Great.
Jeroen

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 11, 2018 20:51

DeanGoodman
Topi

OMG we just shook hands on car for him, 2 shows for me.
(that we don’t have the $ for)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 20:52 by 35love.

Date: February 11, 2018 21:03

corriecas
Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon

Keef was on fire, for the last 5 gigs of the last 2017 tour. Maybe you watched from your sofa. but he was Great.
Jeroen

Not saying he was bad for those last 5 gigs, and you seem to have misunderstood.
I was referring to future shows that Monsoon was talking about when they hit their 80s, and what his guitar playing skills would become by then.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 11, 2018 21:04

35love
DeanGoodman
Topi

Way to go!! thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 11, 2018 21:31

Hairball
corriecas
Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon

Jeroen

Not saying he was bad for those last 5 gigs, and you seem to have misunderstood.
I was referring to future shows that Monsoon was talking about when they hit their 80s, and what his guitar playing skills would become by then.

Okay my friend,
but we all get old , dont we ??
Jeroen

Date: February 11, 2018 21:44

corriecas
Hairball
corriecas
Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon

Jeroen

Okay my friend,
but we all get old , dont we ??
Jeroen

Of course, and I meant that as no disrespect to Keith - it was a commentary to his life long dedication to Rock and Roll - he'll rock til he drops!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 11, 2018 21:50

PaintMonkeyManBlack

- Belgium (Werchter still has a headliner to anounce and werchter classic the same. They almost never skip Werchter, but they did in 2017)

Now announced: 14-Jul-2018, Germany's Electro-Pioneers Kraftwerk ('Autobahn') -- dunno if they're the headliner of TW-Classic .... winking smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 11, 2018 21:51

35love
DeanGoodman
Topi

I think you need to renegotiate to 10 shows and a pair of roller skates.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 11, 2018 21:57

DeanGoodman
Topi

Yeah just kidding around. smiling smiley As for me, I'm bringing my girlfriend to London if the Twickenham dates hold true. Out 5th anniversary that very week. And she's never seen the Stones live...

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 11, 2018 22:38

Irix
PaintMonkeyManBlack

- Belgium (Werchter still has a headliner to anounce and werchter classic the same. They almost never skip Werchter, but they did in 2017)

Now announced: 14-Jul-2018, Germany's Electro-Pioneers Kraftwerk ('Autobahn') -- dunno if they're the headliner of TW-Classic .... winking smiley

I believe Editors are the headliner at TW Classic.
Belgium is the only country where that band can be the headliner.

Might be Kraftwerk will play last that day, as they really need darkness.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: February 11, 2018 22:52

Rock Werchter friday Juli 7 still has no headliner announced.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 12, 2018 00:40

Nate
35love
DeanGoodman
Topi

I think you need to renegotiate to 10 shows and a pair of roller skates.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yeah yeah yeah I’m not all sweetness and light

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 12, 2018 00:43

Topi
DeanGoodman
Topi

Yeah just kidding around. smiling smiley As for me, I'm bringing my girlfriend to London if the Twickenham dates hold true. Out 5th anniversary that very week. And she's never seen the Stones live...

Well that is great! But y have u never brought her 2 a show? And will u go to both shows?

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 00:45 by timbernardis.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: February 12, 2018 06:16

I suspect anyone looking at potential Twickenham gigs as a tidy ending to a career is overestimating how much the band cares about such things. Mick has never seemed the least sentimental about the band’s history.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 12, 2018 06:54

Will the St Giles be the preferred IORR (and other fan clubs) hotel of residence again? I know I stayed there at the end of the ABB tour in 2007, but that was when the shows were at the O2. How long does it take to get from the St Giles to Twickenham and how late do the trains run at night?

I don't remember any such thing, but was there any kind of a "special IORR rate" or anything of that ilk, which might happen again?

And I just looked online and they have a no cancellation refunds policy. That's pretty strict.

plexi

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 12, 2018 08:45

timbernardis
Will the St Giles be the preferred IORR (and other fan clubs) hotel of residence again? I know I stayed there at the end of the ABB tour in 2007, but that was when the shows were at the O2. How long does it take to get from the St Giles to Twickenham and how late do the trains run at night?

I don't remember any such thing, but was there any kind of a "special IORR rate" or anything of that ilk, which might happen again?

And I just looked online and they have a no cancellation refunds policy. That's pretty strict.

plexi

As a born and bred Londoner I'll take the opportunity (yet again) to remind people that central London is probably not the ideal location to bed down for a few days if the Stones are going to play Twickers on 19th and 23rd June - as currently rumoured.

WHY would you want to be in central London paying stupid central London prices when the reason you're in London in the first place is something that's happening in the most scenic part of the capital; namely Richmond/Kew/Twickenham.

Forget central London, look for bed & breakfast type accommodation in the Richmond/Kew area, there's plenty of it. You will be within comfortable walking distance of the stadium, you won't have to deal with the s**t of getting caught up in insane queues at Twickenham station getting back to central London after the gig(s), and on non-show days - you can be in central London in as little as 20 minutes if you take SW Trains from Richmond Station, or 35-40 minutes if you jump on the District Line. There's also the Overground line if you need to get to north London or east London.

The St Giles is a poxy, dreary, characterless, over-priced dump in "West End Shopping Central", i.e. near the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road. People - use your brains, you can do a lot better !!!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 12, 2018 08:52

tommycharles
I suspect anyone looking at potential Twickenham gigs as a tidy ending to a career is overestimating how much the band cares about such things. Mick has never seemed the least sentimental about the band’s history.

Fully agree. He exhibits a distinct lack of sentiment; always has ! "Onwards and upwards" seems to be his motto, not to mention ... "Don't Look Back" !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: February 12, 2018 09:05

paulywaul
The St Giles is a poxy, dreary, characterless, over-priced dump in "West End Shopping Central", i.e. near the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road. People - use your brains, you can do a lot better !!!

It’s also nowhere near the O2 either, so was a curious choice then too.

Date: February 12, 2018 09:32

paulywaul

I can vouch for that as I had some friends from shidoobee who chose to stay there during the '03 Licks shows. It was ugly, dark, and a dreary concrete slab - almost prison-like.
That said, there are many great hotels in Central London. My wife is originally from there and we've stayed in many nice places over the years (from major hotel chains to small B&b's, and everything in between). Might tend to be a bit pricey, but for someone who has never been to London and is unfamiliar with the tube, trains, etc., might make it more convenient to be right in the thick of it - especially if they plan on doing some of the touristy stuff. Could be a slight hassle to get back after the show (s) with the crowded trains, etc, but it's really just a small inconvenience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 09:35 by Hairball.

Posted by: justeillusion ()
Date: February 12, 2018 10:26

what do you think?

[www.google.fr]

Posted by: Santipab ()
Date: February 12, 2018 10:26

As others have said it will be a pain to get back on the train after the show, doubly so because the station is being rebuilt at the moment. I went past there after the U2 shows last summer and it was chaos.

So I'd also strongly recommend staying in Twickenham, Richmond, Teddington or somewhere nearby. Take a look around that area as it's one of the most attractive and historic parts of London. I may be biased because it's also where I come from but I still think it's true!

Hampton Court Palace, Ham House and Kew Gardens are also nearby, as are Richmond and Bushy Parks. Richmond and Twickenham have some lovely old pubs and the river is beautiful there. There are also many Stones links of course Station Hotel (now One Kew Road I believe), Eel Pie Island in Twickenham as well as the Olympic Studios in Barnes.

People who what to see a different side of London should consider taking the opportunity to spend a day or two in Southwest London rather than all the obvious central London sights.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 12, 2018 10:27

timbernardis
Topi

Well that is great! But y have u never brought her 2 a show? And will u go to both shows?

plexi

I guess there's a first time for everything =)

We're just doing the one on the 23rd. Need to maximize vacation time and frankly, just can't afford to stay in London the whole week if I'm doing multiple shows on the tour.

Posted by: Santipab ()
Date: February 12, 2018 10:35

justeillusion
what do you think?

[www.google.fr]

Looks like a good option, especially if you are coming in/out of LHR as it's near the Piccadilly line tube too. Very easy on the 281 bus straight to the rugby ground.

The Travelodge in Teddington is also a good option as it's an easy bus ride from the stadium (also the 281 but the other direction). It's also near Teddington railway station which may be useful getting to central London or bus to the airport (285 or X26),

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 10:36 by Santipab.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 12, 2018 10:35

Hope for a Cardiff show, the stadium is but 5 mins from where I live smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 127

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home