Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 127
Re: The Rolling Stones 2018 tour rumours - UK and more
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 8, 2018 22:48

StonesSmeth99
carouslambra
Healy52003
manchester early june could suite me smileys with beer

knw the city decent enough and the tram goes straigh to the airport and drops off very near Old Trafford

its the soccer stadium not the cricket place right ???

More likely to be the cricket ground.

Billy Joel is playing the football ground this year so why not the Stones?
The cricket ground is useful for a lower level of act - Rihanna, Liam Gallagher, Radiohead etc... the Stones will want to have 50,000+ which could be done at Old Trafford and the Etihad stadium. I'm a United season ticket holder so hope it's Old Trafford. 22 million people live within 2 hours' car/train travel from Manchester so don't worry about this selling... My gut feeling is they will go with the Etihad.

I looked up ‘Old Trafford soccer stadium’ and lo and behold that must be where my TV’s been tuned the last 13 years.
I admit, I got a little choked up thinking of being able to take my H there (he’s never been) and seeing the RS, and doing all the geeky (sorry, lol) MU tours, history, etc.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 9, 2018 01:05

scoreboardpaddock
Silver Dagger
Nate
PaintMonkeyManBlack
When did they play the Etihad?

They never have done.

Nate

They've played Maine Road - City's former ground - in 1990.

Got the t shirt for that at home because my parents went. thumbs up

I don't think they'll do Old Trafford football ground unless there's designated seating on the pitch. Stone Roses wanted to play there instead of the council house (home of oil money FC) but they couldn't due not enough exits for people who would be in general admission on the pitch.

Billy Joel is playing there but I think he has reserved pitch seating.

Springsteen has played Old Trafford (the football stadium) with GA on the pitch.

The Stones in recent tours like to have seats on the pitch (or floor for indoor arenas) for UK shows even if they werent legally required. They can charge higher prices for them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 01:07 by Gazza.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 9, 2018 07:17

Gazza
scoreboardpaddock
Silver Dagger
Nate
PaintMonkeyManBlack
When did they play the Etihad?

They never have done.

Nate

They've played Maine Road - City's former ground - in 1990.

Got the t shirt for that at home because my parents went. thumbs up

I don't think they'll do Old Trafford football ground unless there's designated seating on the pitch. Stone Roses wanted to play there instead of the council house (home of oil money FC) but they couldn't due not enough exits for people who would be in general admission on the pitch.

Billy Joel is playing there but I think he has reserved pitch seating.

Springsteen has played Old Trafford (the football stadium) with GA on the pitch.

The Stones in recent tours like to have seats on the pitch (or floor for indoor arenas) for UK shows even if they werent legally required. They can charge higher prices for them.

Floor seating is a concert killer. Too much orderly placement of fans. Could you imagine pitch seating for Live Aid at Wembley Stadium.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: February 9, 2018 10:58

New rumours today saying Croke Park at 17th of May.

Date: February 9, 2018 11:03

Sunderland A.F.C. (owner of the ground, Stadium of Light) has issued a press release about the Stones rumour:

Sunderland football club have rebuffed claims that they turned down a Rolling Stones concert for the Stadium of Light.

In a statement from the club they say a third-party agent approached them, not the band.

And there was no offer, but a discussion around the possibility if certain dates would work.

You can read the full statement from a Sunderland AFC spokesperson below:

"SAFC was approached about the possibility of holding the concert however, the date proposed would not have allowed enough time to complete pitch renovations ahead of the 2018-19 season."

"Both parties explored earlier dates but were unfortunately unable to find a solution"

[www.sun-fm.com]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 9, 2018 11:43

The Worst.
New rumours today saying Croke Park at 17th of May.

Also on boards.ie more people mentioning it's the Stones.

Yesterday 22:58
Its the Stones alright, cat is out of the bag around town.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 9, 2018 13:42

So if they can’t use Sunderland FC ground then where else in the North East can they play,do they hold concerts at St James Park?

Nate

Date: February 9, 2018 14:12

They played at St. James' Park in 1982 and 1990:

However, the stadium has been totally changed since then. The Leazes end behind the one goal is extremely high and steep. Sitting up there in the nosebleeds for a gig, you'll be far, far away from the stage at the other end of the stadium.

I don't think the stadium is suited for concerts anymore. Maybe KC Stadium in Hull og Riverside Stadium in Middlesborough could be used?

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 9, 2018 14:55

Yes I wasn’t aware that the stones had played there before and I can’t recall hearing about any recent concerts there.I guess another option is to hold two concerts in Scotland if they were planning to play only one.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 9, 2018 15:06

Nate
Yes I wasn’t aware that the stones had played there before and I can’t recall hearing about any recent concerts there.I guess another option is to hold two concerts in Scotland if they were planning to play only one.

Nate

I don't think Scotland can support 2 shows at 'modern era' prices. Glasgow and Edinburgh are much further North than the NE of England than you think. The KC in Hull hosts concerts and Elland Road, Leeds too. Manchester definitely has enough big populations close by to support 2 shows, although transport logistics for both major football grounds are awful!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 9, 2018 15:20

The last time The Rolling Stones played many shows i.e. sort of a tour in UK was in 1990 when they played five shows at Wembley Stadium (of which two shows were delayed until August), two shows at Manchester City Football Ground (Maine Road), and one show each at Cardiff Arms Park, Hampden Park Glasgow, and St James' Park Newcastle.

I do believe they have been looking at a similar solution for the UK tour this summer, shows spread out in UK and of course Ireland. To everyone who think they should play a zillion shows in The Netherlands or Germany or wherever due to population and number of fans: Don't forget they are going home now. They are a British band from London. I hope they manage to book and perform many shows in UK and Ireland. We will know more later on during the spring.

Bjornulf

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 9, 2018 15:26

Thanks BV

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 9, 2018 15:58

bv
The last time The Rolling Stones played many shows i.e. sort of a tour in UK was in 1990 when they played five shows at Wembley Stadium (of which two shows were delayed until August), two shows at Manchester City Football Ground (Maine Road), and one show each at Cardiff Arms Park, Hampden Park Glasgow, and St James' Park Newcastle.

I do believe they have been looking at a similar solution for the UK tour this summer, shows spread out in UK and of course Ireland. To everyone who think they should play a zillion shows in The Netherlands or Germany or wherever due to population and number of fans: Don't forget they are going home now. They are a British band from London. I hope they manage to book and perform many shows in UK and Ireland. We will know more later on during the spring.

Thank heavens for this post of BV's, first sensible thing I've read in .... ooh er lemme think !! 55 pages !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 9, 2018 16:12

London gigs in Twickenham & Dartford would be appropriate at this juncture.

Date: February 9, 2018 16:13

bv

"They are going home now"

That kinda sounds like this it....over...done....finished.....etc

Date: February 9, 2018 16:26

I keep seeing ‘Going Home’
that’s not the name of the tour, is it?
“Yeah, I'm coming home
Cause, I'm just about a moonlight mile on down the road
Down the road, down the road”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 16:30 by 35love.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 9, 2018 16:30

I don't think Cardiff, let alone Sunderland is "home" for The Rolling Stones. They will only play such gigs if the negotiations with big markets partly fail. They prefer cities where they don't have an 2 hours drive to the hotel after the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 16:45 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 9, 2018 17:12

Monsoon Ragoon
I don't think Cardiff, let alone Sunderland is "home" for The Rolling Stones. They will only play such gigs if the negotiations with big markets partly fail. They prefer cities where they don't have an 2 hours drive to the hotel after the show.

"Home" means the U.K./British Isles, and that includes Cardiff and anywhere else on that group of islands. Precisely where and when they play, we've yet to find out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 17:52 by atip.

Date: February 9, 2018 17:20

atip
Monsoon Ragoon

"Home" means the U.K./Britain Isles, and that includes Cardiff and anywhere else on that group of islands. Where and when they play, we've yet to find out.

What a nonsense. Keith lives in CT since the 70's, several 1000 km from England. Jagger spends most of his time outside the UK and if he is there, he's only in London 99%. They don't care about Wales or whatever.
What is likely? They will play in London (three or four shows), Dublin, North England (probably Manchester), Scotland and maybe Wales (probably Cardiff). That's all. Everything else is wishfull thinking.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 9, 2018 17:23

atip
Monsoon Ragoon

"Home" means the U.K./Britain Isles, and that includes Cardiff and anywhere else on that group of islands. Precisely where and when they play, we've yet to find out.

100% correct thumbs up

And that's regardless of where any of them lives or spends time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 17:25 by Beast.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 9, 2018 18:14

Monsoon Ragoon
atip
Monsoon Ragoon

"Home" means the U.K./British Isles, and that includes Cardiff and anywhere else on that group of islands. Precisely where and when they play, we've yet to find out.

What a nonsense. Keith lives in CT since the 70's, several 1000 km from England. Jagger spends most of his time outside the UK and if he is there, he's only in London 99%. They don't care about Wales or whatever.
What is likely? They will play in London (three or four shows), Dublin, North England (probably Manchester), Scotland and maybe Wales (probably Cardiff). That's all. Everything else is wishfull thinking.

Sorry, but you're confusing me... You say Keith's home has been in CT since the '70's... should we be looking for a show there? Then, you said you don't think Cardiff because it's a long drive to a hotel and they don't care about Wales, but now Cardiff is a probability. Then, there are Scotland, Dublin, and Manchester, which aren't really home,either, but they will have shows. confused smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 9, 2018 18:25

Hopeful they will do Birmingham or the West midlands.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 9, 2018 18:37

Keep it pure and simple - all shows in London with an announcement that it will indeed be the last time. People would flock there from all around the world, and they could easily sell out a dozen or so nights. I imagine the final song during the final show would be intense, but then maybe they could play a secret surprise grand finale at a small club or theater in town w/a few select very special guests- film it and release it and that's all she wrote. Wishful thinking? Not really - just creating a scenario that would work for both the band and the fans. If you're reading this Mick and Keith, you can thank me later...maybe with a backstage pass for the final show. winking smiley

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: February 9, 2018 18:38

Monsoon Ragoon
I've just checked and there are definitely hotels in Cardiff, so a 2 hour drive not necessary,

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 9, 2018 18:47

Monsoon Ragoon
atip
Monsoon Ragoon

"Home" means the U.K./Britain Isles, and that includes Cardiff and anywhere else on that group of islands. Where and when they play, we've yet to find out.

the home of a band is NOT necessarily the home(s) of the band members. The Beatles will always be a Liverpool boygroup - no matter where the live…

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 9, 2018 18:58

Welsh Stone
Monsoon Ragoon
I've just checked and there are definitely hotels in Cardiff, so a 2 hour drive not necessary,

And unless I dreamed it, they have played in Cardiff before now.

Date: February 9, 2018 19:19

‘Going Home’.
Has some menace from the RS
Going home, and going to bed,
so let’s PARTY, MF’ers.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 9, 2018 19:48

Thankfully, all indications are that they will never announce a "last tour" or "last show"... Always loved the "we'll play till we drop" narrative.

Fortunately, the band has never and likely will never need that to sell tickets.

Already counting on another North American tour after this one.. winking smiley

Date: February 9, 2018 20:04

atip
Monsoon Ragoon
atip
Monsoon Ragoon

Sorry, but you're confusing me... You say Keith's home has been in CT since the '70's... should we be looking for a show there? Then, you said you don't think Cardiff because it's a long drive to a hotel and they don't care about Wales, but now Cardiff is a probability. Then, there are Scotland, Dublin, and Manchester, which aren't really home,either, but they will have shows. confused smiley

They don't care about Wales as "home". They obviously don't tour because they have strong home feelings, but because they get 5 or more millions for two hours work. Nevertheless there could be a show after 12 years. They've been in Wales several times. But if there are really 3 or more shows in London, then I have my doubts they will play Wales. London area is "home" for the Stones members, not the entire UK. If they play Cardiff then not because they feel being "at home". The only reason is that the local promotor is paying them enough. The metropolitan area of Manchester and Glasgow/Edinburgh are sure bets; they've been there on every tour. Some people here wish a tour like 1971 + Dublin, Cork and Belfast, would be great - but won't happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 20:17 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: February 9, 2018 20:05

35love
‘Going Home’.
Has some menace from the RS
Going home, and going to bed,
so let’s PARTY, MF’ers.

They should at least play Going Home this time smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 127

This Thread has been closed

Online Users