Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 18, 2017 20:44

When i have time, i will read through the Keith haters, ''lets have an excuse to butcher Keith thread'' but just for now, (too busy enjoying life ) all i had time for was to listen to Keith Singing Slipping Away.

OMG how did he just do that ? how did he sing like that.?

I can't believe this man, i mean he goes and sings a song he sings all the time, and then just goes out there and sings it ten time better. Say what you will about Keith, no one in the world can do that. I don't know anyone who can.
It wouldn't surprise me if he goes out and plays one of the best shows since 2012 one of these coming nights.

He got angry in Austria, that's a good sign, he is waking up, the man has fire in his belly, this is a step i the right direction. I don't know whats going on with Keith, i think he may be drinking, and at his age he can't afford to be doing that.
I think what might have gone wrong with Brown Sugar, was that it is so slow its loosing any sort of momentum , and so its falling apart. Where is Bill Wyman, Bring him back for Gods sake, and find a replacement for that Sax while they are at it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2017 20:54

stoner4ever - this isn't about being a "keith hater" though there are some posts/comments coming from some who might fall in that category.
But for the most part, this thread contains some valid criticism (both positive and negative), and as someone who values Keith beyond words, I find it all fascinating and a worthy discussion.
Don't let your zealousness and devotion to Keith cloud your mind when there's plenty of worthy observations being made including the good, the bad, and the ugly - it's reality not fantasy.

Re: I am not Not negative just objective Keith can barely play guitar
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 18, 2017 21:15

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQEbL1IAx8
LOL! Oh wow...Charlie and Bill's reactions were priceless.

It's so funny that they mostly film close ups of their faces grinning smiley

The whole concert was filmed that way -- even when guitarists would take solos.

It was maddening, and the reason I only watched the DVD once.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 21:20

Hard times for Keith.
No one likes that...
"But speak your thruth ever your voice shake".

Really hope they will play You got the silver again...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 21:22 by powerage78.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 18, 2017 22:01

Hairball
stoner4ever - this isn't about being a "keith hater" though there are some posts/comments coming from some who might fall in that category.
But for the most part, this thread contains some valid criticism (both positive and negative), and as someone who values Keith beyond words, I find it all fascinating and a worthy discussion.
Don't let your zealousness and devotion to Keith cloud your mind when there's plenty of worthy observations being made including the good, the bad, and the ugly - it's reality not fantasy.

Reality? About the only thing most here can agree upon is that Keith has gotten older, slowed down, and his guitar skills have declined. It's one thing to make an observation/point, but some take that into flights of fantasy and conclude that Keith is senile, or drinking heavily again, or had a stroke. A little restraint would be nice.

Re: I am not Not negative just objective Keith can barely play guitar
Date: September 18, 2017 22:19

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQEbL1IAx8
LOL! Oh wow...Charlie and Bill's reactions were priceless.

It's so funny that they mostly film close ups of their faces grinning smiley

The whole concert was filmed that way -- even when guitarists would take solos.

It was maddening, and the reason I only watched the DVD once.

It's the same with the official Leeds release. The video screen-feed..

At least we learned that Bill and Keith were out of hair dye by the end of the tour...

Date: September 18, 2017 23:27

latebloomer
Hairball

Reality? About the only thing most here can agree upon is that Keith has gotten older, slowed down, and his guitar skills have declined. It's one thing to make an observation/point, but some take that into flights of fantasy and conclude that Keith is senile, or drinking heavily again, or had a stroke. A little restraint would be nice.

Nice Post Latebloomer, and thanks for your reaction to my post Hairball ( my main man ) sums up the whole episode on a rational level.

Basically yeah Keith is just that bit older each time out, we want something that keith can't bring to the table anymore, we are just left with moments, these fascinating fragments of the man he used to be. But within those moments he manages to sometimes give us even more than he has ever done in certain aspects.

Me i'm never what you could call a rational thinker.

Slipping Away just made this whole tour worth while for me. Plus loosing his temper on BS. God i love that man so much. I find the whole drama surrounding Keith exciting, even when he mucks up, its better than when he didn't in some ways.

For instance looking at Brown Sugar at at the Fonda gig, Mick or whoever has put him so low in the mix that it doesn't matter how well he played. I CANT HERE HIM LOUD LIKE I WANT TO. At least now, he and Ronnie are blasting the living shit out of it. Mick tried to cut the intro to BS short, and that's the real reason Keith got angry. Mick you can do a lot but you cant take out Keith signature intro's or cut him short. Notice Keith cut short Mick talking to the crowd with the next opportunity.
That anger was Keith making a final stand to the Chucks , the Matt's, the crappy sax's ( notice keith never goes over to karl when he does the BS solo ) Keith hasn't had a say in who plays in this band or how they play for a long time, its telling that Mick became all smiles with Keith after he could see his frustration was coming spilling out on the stage for all to see. You can only push a man like Keith so far.
Anyway what the hell, its great for us anoraks to think what we want about whats going on here, its my guess that the worm has turned.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 18, 2017 23:34

I have been a big fan since 1969. My first show in Philadelphia and enjoyed them for decades. They are old men now All four of them and with age come decline. As much as I am excited at the prospect of a new tour announcement I realize it may be their last and quite honestly. They will never play as good as in their youth. The decline in playing came a while back and it is progressing. But it is the natural order of throwing old. It is truly amazing that they are still able to perform and travel, and living on the road must be hard at that age I appreciate the fact they are still doing it and it gives inspiration to those of us over 60 that life is still worth living and enjoying arthritis or not!

Date: September 18, 2017 23:37

Keith makes mistakes and that is OK. In spielberg he also had some technical issues with guitar on beginning of htw and bs.

But e.g. here we all can hear why he is still the king. He plays his solo with passion and soul.

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 23:40 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: September 18, 2017 23:46

jumpingjackflash5
Keith makes mistakes and that is OK. In spielberg he also had some technical issues with guitar on beginning of htw and bs.

But e.g. here we all can hear why he is still the king. He plays his solo with passion and soul.

[youtu.be]

Good one!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 23:47

stone4ever
latebloomer
Hairball

Nice Post Latebloomer, and thanks for your reaction to my post Hairball ( my main man ) sums up the whole episode on a rational level.

Basically yeah Keith is just that bit older each time out, we want something that keith can't bring to the table anymore, we are just left with moments, these fascinating fragments of the man he used to be. But within those moments he manages to sometimes give us even more than he has ever done in certain aspects.

Me i'm never what you could call a rational thinker.

Slipping Away just made this whole tour worth while for me. Plus loosing his temper on BS. God i love that man so much. I find the whole drama surrounding Keith exciting, even when he mucks up, its better than when he didn't in some ways.

For instance looking at Brown Sugar at at the Fonda gig, Mick or whoever has put him so low in the mix that it doesn't matter how well he played. I CANT HERE HIM LOUD LIKE I WANT TO. At least now, he and Ronnie are blasting the living shit out of it. Mick tried to cut the intro to BS short, and that's the real reason Keith got angry. Mick you can do a lot but you cant take out Keith signature intro's or cut him short. Notice Keith cut short Mick talking to the crowd with the next opportunity.
That anger was Keith making a final stand to the Chucks , the Matt's, the crappy sax's ( notice keith never goes over to karl when he does the BS solo ) Keith hasn't had a say in who plays in this band or how they play for a long time, its telling that Mick became all smiles with Keith after he could see his frustration was coming spilling out on the stage for all to see. You can only push a man like Keith so far.
Anyway what the hell, its great for us anoraks to think what we want about whats going on here, its my guess that the worm has turned.
Part of me feels bad for Keith losing his shit like that...some people think it's funny or it shows he has some fire, but to me, it just looks like he's pissed off at everyone and is frustrated with his playing, and I don't want to see him like that.

But yeah, I'm not down with Karl Denson at all. I tried to give him a chance, but I'm not digging it. Bobby, for as much of a party animal as he was, nailed his solos note-for-note every night. The BS solo is so iconic that it deserves that reverence.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 18, 2017 23:54

quote:
"The difference now is that every chord they play is put under the microscope, because of cell phones and computers"

I had the pleasure of hearing the 1972 Oakland show today.
They fvcked up then, too grinning smiley

Get it while you can - live teetering on the rails RS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 23:55 by 35love.

Date: September 19, 2017 00:05

>But yeah, I'm not down with Karl Denson at all. I tried to give him a chance, but I'm not digging it. Bobby, for as much of a party animal as he was, nailed his solos note-for-note every night. The BS solo is so iconic that it deserves that reverence<.

thumbs up

The guy showed up giving respect for the original Bobby solo's, but what he is doing now is terrible and i can't believe Keith hasn't pulled him up on it, or called him out as you Americans say.

One thing that gets confusing during this thread, when a Brit says pissed, they mean drunk.
When an American says pissed they usually mean Pissed Off.

Please when referring to Keith being pissed use a word that takes out the confusion.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 19, 2017 00:05

jumpingjackflash5

[youtu.be]

The comments below that YT video are like this thread -- half and half, half thinking he's still got it and half thinking he's lost it.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 19, 2017 00:16

stone4ever
"Mick or whoever has put him so low in the mix that it doesn't matter.."

"Mick tried to cut the intro to BS short, and that's the real reason Keith

"Mick you can do a lot but you cant take out Keith signature intro's or cut him short."

"its telling that Mick became all smiles with Keith after he could see his frustration"

"When i have time, i will read through the Keith haters"...

IRONY:
noun
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Date: September 19, 2017 00:35

I wonder if Keith ever listens to their concerts after they play them?

If he did I wonder if he would think his SFTD solos are good?

Date: September 19, 2017 00:39

MisterDDDD
stone4ever
"Mick or whoever has put him so low in the mix that it doesn't matter.."

"Mick tried to cut the intro to BS short, and that's the real reason Keith

"Mick you can do a lot but you cant take out Keith signature intro's or cut him short."

"its telling that Mick became all smiles with Keith after he could see his frustration"

"When i have time, i will read through the Keith haters"...

IRONY:
noun
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Its just my thoughts, i don't expect anyone else to pick up on the these things.
I'm just trying to make sense of all this.
I mean on one level keith sings and plays the best most beautiful rendition of Slipping Away that shows him not drunk, not bitter or angry. And yet there are aspects to keiths playing that show disillusion and contempt for his fellow musicians. If you took all of my post in that context you might understand where i am coming from and where i think keiths frustrations lie.. This has become Micks band, its almost screwing keith for all its worth at present. Apart from a go between Ronnie and a confused Charlie Keith doesn't have a band to instill confidence in the old timer. I also seriously question that Keith is the reason these Rockers are being played so slow. Mick and Chuck seem to making all the decisions, not Keith. Why does everyone concede that Keith demanded these songs be played at a snails pace.

Hey MisterDDDD, still stalking me i see.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: September 19, 2017 00:43

This is all so sad but I really think they should stop now.

Date: September 19, 2017 00:45

latebloomer
Hairball

Well I did start my paragraph by saying that there are some posts/comments here that that would probably fall in to the "keith hater" category!!!
In between some of the hatred and misinformed rants, there are some rational posts that I would consider the reality of Keith's current situation and skill level.

stone4ever
thanks for your reaction to my post Hairball ( my main man ) sums up the whole episode on a rational level.

Just trying to keep it real. winking smiley

PEACE AND LOVE TO KEITH FOREVER.

keefriff99
I'm not down with Karl Denson at all. I tried to give him a chance, but I'm not digging it. Bobby, for as much of a party animal as he was, nailed his solos note-for-note every night. The BS solo is so iconic that it deserves that reverence.

While he's completely skilled at playing the instrument, he just doesn't have the sound or vibe that some of us use to love so much with Bobby who was 100% heart and soul.
Some of Karl's playing with the Stones sounds like someone playing along to the tune with a kazoo following a basic pattern, and when he does play some improvization is sticks out like a sore thumb. Same could probably be said for some of Ronnie's playing when he's attempting to play some of the original Mick Taylor parts, but he's been around so long now it's something some of us have grown accustomed to. Same with Darryl - while there's still some who can't stand the thought of him playing Bill's parts, it's been so long some of us have accepted it and actually can appreciate it. Maybe over time, Karl will eventually be fully accepted and some of us will be able to overlook the negatives and accept him for what he is...a decent replacement.

Date: September 19, 2017 00:47

vertigojoe

No not at all, judging by the Austria gig keith is just getting into it.

Keith is the show inside the show, and when he starts clicking, and he will, they will be great again. Trust me .winking smiley

Date: September 19, 2017 00:53

In Keith's recent doc on Netflix when asked if he has friends he plays with for fun he says "Yeah they're called The Rolling Stones" but he doesn't look like he's having much fun to me. His emasculation at the hands of Chuck & Mick is just humiliating him and whether he's got too many yes men around him telling him he's still got it or whatever it is I don't know. Still, that's been the deal since '89 and having had a taste of life as a solo artist outside the gilded cage he couldn't wait to get back inside it. I guess this is the outcome.

Date: September 19, 2017 00:53

Stop? They just started!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 19, 2017 00:54

stone4ever
vertigojoe

No not at all, judging by the Austria gig keith is just getting into it.

Keith is the show inside the show, and when he starts clicking, and he will, they will be great again. Trust me .winking smiley

I think so too! Wait for it and get ready. In Hamburg I could feel it!

Date: September 19, 2017 00:56

I truly hope you all have a great time

Date: September 19, 2017 00:58

As far as I'm concerned, any Stones is better than no Stones, and they haven't gotten so bad that they should be told to stop!
They're still making thousands of people happy in a live setting, and it won't be over until it's over which will be a sad day in history.

Keep on rolling...Zurich next...on with the show. thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 19, 2017 01:36

I am definitely a Keith fan, but realistically we can't expect the band to just follow him musically, not at his age. Chuck is there for a reason. One of them is that Mick wouldn't go out in stage and put himself in Keith's hands for two hours. Another is that Keith must want him there, too.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: September 19, 2017 03:34

The Keith Critics with all their insight...They seem to be everywhere ???
My Last Show - Vegas 10-22-16...First Row Mezz Side Stage...got in for $0.00.
They were @#$%& great...Keith Kicked Ass...Sounded great...So if your insight is from You Tube it is way off base...I disagree...Over 50 shows since 75'...It is amazing that there still here doing it...Get to a show...Get Close and Enjoy Keith !!!...STOP BEING YOU-TUBE CRITICS...GET TO A SHOW...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN......GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...

Date: September 19, 2017 03:44

stone4ever
>But yeah, I'm not down with Karl Denson at all. I tried to give him a chance, but I'm not digging it. Bobby, for as much of a party animal as he was, nailed his solos note-for-note every night. The BS solo is so iconic that it deserves that reverence<.

thumbs up

The guy showed up giving respect for the original Bobby solo's, but what he is doing now is terrible and i can't believe Keith hasn't pulled him up on it, or called him out as you Americans say.

One thing that gets confusing during this thread, when a Brit says pissed, they mean drunk.
When an American says pissed they usually mean Pissed Off.

Please when referring to Keith being pissed use a word that takes out the confusion.

Ha! Me the American using 'pissed' as angry. Live w/ a Brit, never heard 'pissed' from his English clan as drunk, and I sure don't like talking about urinating. But duly noted/ no more 'pissed'

Date: September 19, 2017 03:48

"GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN..."

I'M TRYING TOO!!

I love the RS!

Holy &$@?! 4 weeks until France eye popping smiley

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: September 19, 2017 03:50

35love
"GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN..."

I'M TRYING TOO!!

I love the RS!

Holy &$@?! 4 weeks until France eye popping smiley

KICK ASS !!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home