Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 25 of 27
Re: Munich Germany 12-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 15:48

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
ouroux58
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
I would submit for general consideration the idea that there may be a difference between the mistakes engendered by the passion of youthful ferocity and the errors caused by age and decay.

The Stones do mistakes, people. Get over it. When you attend a show, these things happen so rarely that they don't take away from the total experience..

If you watch one song on YouTube, however, it might cause more irritation - I dunno.

Are you kidding? I think some guys expect to watch Keith's death on stage. Very good for his legend! Do you really see how he is on stage, no move, a lot of time, his body is bent, easier playing the chords I think!
They got a fantastic start in 63/64 but will get a catastrophic ending for the band they were. Very sad!

I reckon people were more worried about him in 1975.

Yes, I've seen him on stage. I attended the Hamburg-show! And I don't share your analysis. Not at all.

They are old. They can't do it like they were in their 20s anymore. Deal with it.

And the mistakes happen very rarely. It is a 2,5 hour-show.

There's nothing to "deal with," DP. We're almost all in agreement here:

1) The Stones are old

2) They make mistakes, and always have

Where some of us diverge is in our perspective on pt # 2. Many people feel that in spite of their current mistakes, they are still lovable and listenable and enjoyable and nothing's changed. One poster I think even said--and I may be badly paraphrasing here--that s/he didn't really care what notes Keith played ... he was still Keith and therefore still worth watching. Other people feel that their old age is beginning to impinge on the their abilities in a new, perhaps more pernicious way. There's nothing inherently unfair in asking whether people in their mid-70's can continue to drive a car effectively; why should someone asking whether Keith's 'bum notes" may be more than just charming sloppiness be excoriated?

I was replying to this:

Is that what you think as well, LongBeach?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking if I feel like Keith will die soon onstage?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 14, 2017 16:12

LongBeachArena72
I would submit for general consideration the idea that there may be a difference between the mistakes engendered by the passion of youthful ferocity and the errors caused by age and decay.

There may be a difference in the cause of the mistakes but that is all.

If YOU have different levels of tolerance to and acceptance of the mistakes due to what you perceive to be the cause of the mistakes, that is on YOU.

Really, it's a sad commentary on society, and some of the people in it, to think that there are those who seem to think that a mistake made as a result of "the passion of youthful ferocity" should be viewed differently than those made as a result of "age and decay".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 14, 2017 16:17

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
ouroux58
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

The Stones do mistakes, people. Get over it. When you attend a show, these things happen so rarely that they don't take away from the total experience..

If you watch one song on YouTube, however, it might cause more irritation - I dunno.

Are you kidding? I think some guys expect to watch Keith's death on stage. Very good for his legend! Do you really see how he is on stage, no move, a lot of time, his body is bent, easier playing the chords I think!
They got a fantastic start in 63/64 but will get a catastrophic ending for the band they were. Very sad!

Yes, I've seen him on stage. I attended the Hamburg-show! And I don't share your analysis. Not at all.

They are old. They can't do it like they were in their 20s anymore. Deal with it.

1) The Stones are old

Where some of us diverge is in our perspective on pt # 2. Many people feel that in spite of their current mistakes, they are still lovable and listenable and enjoyable and nothing's changed. One poster I think even said--and I may be badly paraphrasing here--that s/he didn't really care what notes Keith played ... he was still Keith and therefore still worth watching. Other people feel that their old age is beginning to impinge on the their abilities in a new, perhaps more pernicious way. There's nothing inherently unfair in asking whether people in their mid-70's can continue to drive a car effectively; why should someone asking whether Keith's 'bum notes" may be more than just charming sloppiness be excoriated?

I was replying to this:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking if I feel like Keith will die soon onstage?

I tried to illustrate the level we've sunk down to when discussing this..

Personally, I don't care if someone plays badly whether they are wasted on drugs, have aching joints or are of old age. It's bad anyway.

Does it have to ruin a performance of my favourite songs? No, of course not. It didn't in the past, and not now either.

Heck, as long as I enjoy it, I don't even care if there are mistakes!

It's interesting, though, that grown men (who probably are pretty old themselves) don't know that old people do get aching joints, bad eyesight and that they can't (except for Jagger, that is) keep running like madmen on stage.

If the antics were what the Stones represented to them, that's okay. For me, it's still that charming, unpredictable and ragged band, playing my favourite songs.

Lots of people are celebrating a new tour, and love to share their exoeriences on this FAN forum, with others FANS.

They probably need a good chill-down, though – whether it's ridiculing, musical lessons or serious warnings about how Keith's death is near...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 14, 2017 16:42

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
ouroux58
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

1) The Stones are old

I was replying to this:

Personally, I don't care if someone plays badly whether they are wasted on drugs, have aching joints or are of old age. It's bad anyway.

Does it have to ruin a performance of my favourite songs? No, of course not. It didn't in the past, and not now either.

It's interesting, though, that grown men (who probably are pretty old themselves) don't know that old people do get aching joints, bad eyesight and that they can't (except for Jagger, that is) keep running like madmen on stage.

If the antics were what the Stones represented to them, that's okay. For me, it's still that charming, unpredictable and ragged band, playing my favourite songs.

Lots of people are celebrating a new tour, and love to share their exoeriences on this FAN forum, with others FANS.

They probably need a good chill-down, though – whether it's ridiculing, musical lessons or serious warnings about how Keith's death is near...

Well put, Dandee.
As always.
(Or should I say: as mostly... (cause I don't want to be labelled a "superfan", here. smoking smiley)

Not sure if I 100% agree with "I don't care if someone plays badly [if] It's bad anyway [...] Does it have to ruin a performance of my favourite songs? No, of course not."
I mean: there's 'bad' and there's 'bad'. I don't like 'bad' playing - and I've had my fair share, as music lover & concert goer over the past 30 years. But the ragged glory of the Rolling Stones - warts & all - especially the wonderful intuitive 'mistakes' from Keith?? Oh no. I don't mind that at all... In fact: it's one thing that got me into them. (What's a mistake, anyway... it' just makes for a different song, imo.)

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 14, 2017 16:44

LongBeachArena72: «I would submit for general consideration the idea that there may be a difference between the mistakes engendered by the passion of youthful ferocity and the errors caused by age and decay».

With respect, that’s a bit like a “self – fulfilling prophecy”…

“Are they rotten”? “Yes and the proof is that they do mistakes”. “They did mistakes also in the so called glory years”. “Yes, but they were young then, so the reasons why they did mistakes were different”. “And why the hell the current mistakes have bigger spacific gravity than what they had in 1978 or in 1981?” “Due to the ace and decay”… Not exactly the epitome of the meaning of the word "logical"...

We could talk about their abilities and powers, mentioning - for days, weeks or even months - solos and links, team – work, energy, skill to cover up when it’s needed and many other factors which are referring to the general level of performances (that remains admirably high IMO, but that’s my opinion). We can discuss, agree and disagree on these. But mistakes??? Two, three or four during a 130 minutes gig?

Actually, never knows the exact reason behind a specific mistake. But since, let’s say, Keith is starting well the intro of a song, 20 times in a row after the night he “messed up” with the same intro, it’s obviously unreasonable every claim that Keith “is unable to play it anymore”… (There are many examples to talk about).

So, I could answer: Why on earth didn’t fans scream and moan about the so many mistakes of 1978 or 1981/82 performances??. I don’t think the answer can be , “because the Stones were young then”. To be honest that means nothing to me. I think the right answer is: «Maybe because the fans were young then and no one’s mood, no one’s soul was aged and decay”…

Date: September 14, 2017 16:52

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
ouroux58
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

1) The Stones are old

I was replying to this:

Well put, Dandee.
As always.
(Or should I say: as mostly... (cause I don't want to be labelled a "superfan", here. smoking smiley)

Not sure if I 100% agree with "I don't care if someone plays badly [if] It's bad anyway [...] Does it have to ruin a performance of my favourite songs? No, of course not."
I mean: there's 'bad' and there's 'bad'. I don't like 'bad' playing - and I've had my fair share, as music lover & concert goer over the past 30 years. But the ragged glory of the Rolling Stones - warts & all - especially the wonderful intuitive 'mistakes' from Keith?? Oh no. I don't mind that at all... In fact: it's one thing that got me into them. (What's a mistake, anyway... it' just makes for a different song, imo.)

We're in agreement. That sentence was clumsily phrased smiling smiley

Posted by: rollingknokke ()
Date: September 14, 2017 16:52

Thank you Rolling Stones for the great show in Munich.
We only saw happy people around us. Respect for everybody who helps there so that we can see them safely. If you are able to see them.... please go !
thanks

Pat

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 17:07

What a great show in Munich!

Thanks to Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and the others.

Thank you for the beautiful "new" blues numbers, the groovy Dancing With Mr. D & Beast Of Burden and of course the great classic Stones stuff.

Go and see them till you can!!!

What a band!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 17:08 by 1962.

Date: September 14, 2017 17:41

Thank you for the beautiful "new" blues numbers, the groovy Dancing With Mr. D & Beast Of Burden and of course the great classic Stones stuff.

What a band!

Teljes megállapodás

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 18:08

What a band!

thumbs up

Nice report from a German Newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung

Date: September 14, 2017 18:21

And what does SZ say in summary? Unfortunately, some of us don't know the german language.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 14, 2017 18:29

Well, when was the last time I checked a Stones setlist? Not since they were playing like 16 songs and it was all hits. Damn! There's not much they have to change to make me, and I assume many others, VERY happy. Dancing With Mr. D back in the set?! Thats awesome. Play With Fire?! Incredible! Out Of Control in every night, good, sell that f*cker! We all know its great. Opening with Sympathy? Hey, I think many of us think its not played that well these days, but an opener usually gets a pass anyway regardless of quality because we're excited, and just to have something different as the opener I'm thrilled. Gimme Shelter in the encores, some cool requests each night, a good little mix of new cover material. Hey, color me a happy man and interested in their night to night again. Well done guys. See, it didn't take that much hard work!

Date: September 14, 2017 18:53

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 14, 2017 20:15

laertisflash

And what does SZ say in summary? Unfortunately, some of us don't know the german language.

Google Translate helps: Süddeutsche Zeitung smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 20:20 by Irix.

Date: September 14, 2017 20:16

Some translation, please? The titles and sub- titles,at least?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 14, 2017 20:20

Irix
laertisflash

Google Translate helps: Süddeutsche Zeitung .

For some reason Google Translate it's not working with that website. But I could read it by clicking here:

Date: September 14, 2017 20:25

Oh, thanks Irix and Cristiano!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 14, 2017 20:30

Cristiano Radtke

For some reason Google Translate it's not working with that website.

Dunno what it is - maybe because Google Translate was started via https and Süddeutsche Zeitung only via normal http . That's what I've fixed.

If it doesn't work, simply copy the original link from Süddeutsche Zeitung into Google Translate ....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2017 20:50

Irix
Cristiano Radtke

Dunno what it is - maybe because Google Translate was started via https and Süddeutsche Zeitung only via normal http . That's what I've fixed.

If it doesn't work, simply copy the original link from Süddeutsche Zeitung into Google Translate ....

Is there an original link anywhere?

Date: September 14, 2017 20:51

Irix
Cristiano Radtke

Yes, very strange. I actually could translate it by clicking on the translation button on the browser, but when trying to read it via Google Translate I ended up at a 404 error page.

The Google 404 page should be as funny as the one that could be seen on the Stones' website until some years ago, though. grinning smiley

Date: September 14, 2017 20:59

Hairball
Irix
Cristiano Radtke

Yes, it was posted above by gipsy12 on this thread.

[www.sueddeutsche.de]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2017 21:13

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
Irix
Cristiano Radtke

Yes, it was posted above by gipsy12 on this thread.

[www.sueddeutsche.de]

OK - for what it's worth here is the translation provided by Google:

Wursts, it's the Stones

Despite expensive tickets: the band around Mick Jagger and Keith Richards enthusiastically in the Olympiastadion the fans - for example Wolfgang Niedecken

A concert of the Rolling Stones does not take two and a half hours in Munich, it is already with its announcement months ago before: As a virus detects the city, which erupts with each visit of the world's largest rock'n'roll band, which has influenced this city. And - so wish the Munich - also a little bit reversed. As in a fever, whoever was at a legendary concert, the best thing to do is the circus crown of 1965 or 2003. And one fables anecdotes together, everybody knows someone who has sat on Mick Jagger's lap somewhere.

The most desirous of his return is probably no different. With friends from here he goes to eat cake and go to the Italian restaurant and presents pictures of the walk in the English garden on the Internet. Yes, it was great to be back. Almost as before. On the stage, too, he starts again and again. He well remembered the recordings for the album "Black And Blue" here, he says, and the ninth concert in this stadium is "an Olympic record", and "Servus, mitanand, Munich". This Kumpelei contrasts with the fact that, in the red stageworm, he still gives the devil in the wasp-yellow satin shirt, the trickster with words and the seducer with his hips and arms: "Sympathy For The Devil". Hach, and as everyone is equally eroticized creep at the start. "Huh-huh!"

If he does not look at the crowds with hummingbird arms on his catwalk, the restless man always relishes in Bairisch for the sympathies he has on his side anyway - his eternal rival Keith Richards, however, much more, alone, measured by his playing applause by his mischievous perversity, which, with 73, is much more casual, more opulent. Now we are already in the middle of the game. Yes, everyone wants to marvel. But then the average prices of 250 euros were too expensive, and they then wrote on the Internet that one could make the money one week Mallorca holiday or go for a year every month to a concert, which is probably better than the Stones. The others replied, "Wurste, it's the Stones."

The second faction is one who pounces on the roofed grandstand at the first song, as he has already met at ten concerts. "Of course, they are worth it." The white devil knows how often we can still experience them, "says Wolfgang Niedecken, who has laid his doctoral appointments on the new record so that he can see the band, which does not make him music (these were the Beatles), who "gave him the right dealings with alleged authorities". Keith and Co. were always the true parent-criminals, the fist-busting half-marks ("Street Fighting Man" comes later), the women's flatulence ("Honky Tonk Women" also comes), the deranged "Brown Sugar" nieda ", Jagger will comment on the still smugly). More than the hits, Niedecken, who was with BAP in 1982, was twice the lead of the Stones in Cologne, but over the blues. To this the British rockers on "Blue And Lonesome" 2016 found. Probably because they did not make a real studio album. But that was good. Blues can also make believable, who looks like carved from a cracked wooden block. And so edgy and roughly trimmed, Richards and the guitar clown Ron Wood also beat their licks around their ears. Not only in the blues covers of Jimmy Reed ("Ride 'Em Down") and Buddy Johnson ("Just Your Fool"), but also when the others are gospel with the help of the shell voice Sasha Allen and the saxophonist Tim Ries -geilen R'n'B-Rausch, such as "Miss You".

One could say that Richards sang with his solo part vocally and guitaristically. Keithologen, however, sees the highlight in this "slipping away", as Niedecken, whose tears are in his eyes: "The old man who escapes life - that is his actual state." After a concert, Richards asked his admirer Niedecken once "as colleagues", how he had found what and how and why. On this evening in the Olympiastadion he has hardly anything to complain about. Niedecken just wonders that thousands of songs like "Happy" end up in a "chord of chords" and even the percussionist Charlie Watts, Bass-Dompteur Darryl Jones and keyboard director Chuck Leavell do not create the pile of eccentrics to curb. "But it's going to be rock'n'roll." One could still say that Jagger is wearing a shirt from his own merchandise like a Thermomix party hostess who says "It's good, I use it myself." But this is also Rock'n'Roll, especially with the Rolling Stones, who were always at the front when it came to pushing the last one out. Since this also applies to these four seventies themselves, this grandiose rebellion against death and the devil makes the Munichers hope that it was not the last.

That's the gist of it, and sounds like a positive review...I think. smiling smiley

Date: September 14, 2017 21:21

Great, Hairball! thumbs up

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: September 14, 2017 22:52

Yes, Hairball, well done thank you!
Only one thing was not translated in the correct sense by the google robots, which is the first word. "Wurst,…" does not refer to "sausage" or "Germans" or anything like that, but it is the Bavarian way of saying "Doesn´t matter", or "no problem" or "don´t bother". Munich is the Bavarian capitol. They (or "we") say: "ist mir Wurscht" for "I don´t care".

thanx for the attention
Cheers, Fillmore

Date: September 14, 2017 23:39

laertisflash
LongBeachArena72: «I would submit for general consideration the idea that there may be a difference between the mistakes engendered by the passion of youthful ferocity and the errors caused by age and decay».

“Are they rotten”? “Yes and the proof is that they do mistakes”. “They did mistakes also in the so called glory years”. “Yes, but they were young then, so the reasons why they did mistakes were different”. “And why the hell the current mistakes have bigger spacific gravity than what they had in 1978 or in 1981?” “Due to the ace and decay”… Not exactly the epitome of the meaning of the word "logical"...

We could talk about their abilities and powers, mentioning - for days, weeks or even months - solos and links, team – work, energy, skill to cover up when it’s needed and many other factors which are referring to the general level of performances (that remains admirably high IMO, but that’s my opinion). We can discuss, agree and disagree on these. But mistakes??? Two, three or four during a 130 minutes gig?

Actually, never knows the exact reason behind a specific mistake. But since, let’s say, Keith is starting well the intro of a song, 20 times in a row after the night he “messed up” with the same intro, it’s obviously unreasonable every claim that Keith “is unable to play it anymore”… (There are many examples to talk about).

So, I could answer: Why on earth didn’t fans scream and moan about the so many mistakes of 1978 or 1981/82 performances??. I don’t think the answer can be , “because the Stones were young then”. To be honest that means nothing to me. I think the right answer is: «Maybe because the fans were young then and no one’s mood, no one’s soul was aged and decay”…

Clearly, I've done a piss-poor job of explaining myself. Let me try another tack:

I believe there is a difference between errors made you when you are trying to remember how to play something and errors made when you are so on fire and in the moment that you can barely control the poetry being produced by your fingers and the strings.

Keith Richards trying to torture out the opening to "Beast of Burden" in 2017 with arthritic hands may be charming to some and painful to others; Keith Richards blowing a change in "Street Fighting Man" in 1973 because he is so possessed he has reached the limits of how ferociously a rhythm guitarist can drive a song is a 'mistake' that one barely registers in the glory of what the guitarist is doing.

And OF COURSE it's unfair to compare the playing of someone in his 70's to what that same person could do in his 20's or 30's. I was simply trying to draw a distinction between errors which call competence into question and errors made while poetry is being made.

No one will ever be Keith. He is sui generis, a rock'n'roll treasure. And I completely understand people who still relish his every move and enjoy his 2017 performances. More power to you!

Date: September 15, 2017 00:12

LongBeachArena72
laertisflash

Clearly, I've done a piss-poor job of explaining myself. Let me try another tack:

I believe there is a difference between errors made you when you are trying to remember how to play something and errors made when you are so on fire and in the moment that you can barely control the poetry being produced by your fingers and the strings.

Keith Richards trying to torture out the opening to "Beast of Burden" in 2017 with arthritic hands may be charming to some and painful to others; Keith Richards blowing a change in "Street Fighting Man" in 1973 because he is so possessed he has reached the limits of how ferociously a rhythm guitarist can drive a song is a 'mistake' that one barely registers in the glory of what the guitarist is doing.

And OF COURSE it's unfair to compare the playing of someone in his 70's to what that same person could do in his 20's or 30's. I was simply trying to draw a distinction between errors which call competence into question and errors made while poetry is being made.

No one will ever be Keith. He is sui generis, a rock'n'roll treasure. And I completely understand people who still relish his every move and enjoy his 2017 performances. More power to you!

So maybe YOU should explain to us the difference in the two types of mistakes as you're the one that believes there is a difference in the mistakes themselves. From what most of the replies to your theory (including mine) seem to be saying, I'd believe that most of us would say a mistake is a mistake but they can be caused by any number of reasons.

Where I think you are doing an inadequate job of expressing yourself is with what I think you're actually wanting people to discuss...

Although you keep saying you want to discuss the difference in the mistakes themselves, it really seems like you want people to discuss the concept of "should Keith be held more accountable for the mistakes he's making now that he's old than he was for the mistakes he made when he was younger?"

My thoughts on that are in the second post on page 25 of this thread.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 15, 2017 00:17

mr_dja
LongBeachArena72
laertisflash

So maybe YOU should explain to us the difference in the two types of mistakes as you're the one that believes there is a difference in the mistakes themselves. From what most of the replies to your theory (including mine) seem to be saying, I'd believe that most of us would say a mistake is a mistake but they can be caused by any number of reasons.

Where I think you are doing an inadequate job of expressing yourself is with what I think you're actually wanting people to discuss...

Although you keep saying you want to discuss the difference in the mistakes themselves, it really seems like you want people to discuss the concept of "should Keith be held more accountable for the mistakes he's making now that he's old than he was for the mistakes he made when he was younger?"

My thoughts on that are in the second post on page 25 of this thread.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I can't say anymore than I already have. I wish I could. (No, I don't.) But I can't.

Date: September 15, 2017 00:20

LongBeachArena72

I can't say anymore than I already have. I wish I could. (No, I don't.) But I can't.

What a relief. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 15, 2017 00:26

I think if i read one more post about the Stones i will go insane.

Please people, realize there is so much more to life than this.

Take a step back and laugh at yourselves, we are all fans, we all love this band for some reason or another at some point in time.
Why can't we all be together as fans.
I have learnt recently to love them all, Mick, Keith, Ronnie, all members past and present. They have given us so much, how can we ask for more, its crazy.

One love

Date: September 15, 2017 00:29

mr_dja
LongBeachArena72

What a relief. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Peace to you as well, sir. I wish you health and have never regarded anything you've said as rubbish. I just wish I'd been better able to communicate.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 25 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home