Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 29
Re: OT: NFL 2017 season
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 25, 2017 21:48

kovach

Well NFL viewership was way down last year, and many suspect it was due to all of the politicking, which I think sports is an escape from all that for many so turned a lot of people off. I hope this trend ends, they can do that on their own time, not while on the job.

Yup viewership was down, I was not the only one tuning out... and it was not only for the primadonnas acting like they really care about some cause which does not affect their millionaire asses, although the onfield lolly gagging it is rooted in the same BS. A lot of the players didnt seem to care about the game and it showed. They seemed bored...as if they are millionaires which should they be working this hard. That is what turned me off.

Of course the "please shine the spot light on me", "please talk about me" BS was also a turn off. If those players want the spot light then they should play better and earn it, not rely on BS to get talked about.

Anyone dreaming Marshawn Lynch is supporting any cause besides Marshwan Lynch is dreaming. He missed the spot light after quitting the game early and his side line banana eating is only about self promotion, it is his way of saying he came back and wanting people to talk about him again.

I used to be a big NBA fan and they lost me for the same reasons about 10 years ago. It all became more about the primmdonna and less about the game. I walked away and have never looked back. I don't even watch on Christmas day. Fk the NBA and those players and owners... there are other to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-25 21:53 by HankM.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 25, 2017 21:58

The NFL might have peaked in popularity.
The political posturings of young hooligans acting out their life issues using the stage the fans provide them is rude and ill-informed.
Plus the fact that many of these guys will be physical/mental wrecks in a few years is making fans like me less interesting in supporting the game.
Also agree with Hank that there is less passion in the game and more X's and O's.

Date: August 25, 2017 21:59

I dropped NASCAR 2 years ago after one too many BS nonsense by the idiots who run that nonsense.... and I have not misses it one bit. I like having my Sunday free. I enjoyed NASCAR for 20-30 years... but the idiots who run it are worse than idiots. They ruined it. I was tried of rolling my eyes at the nonsense rigged crap. I went from pissed off to slowly not caring enough to be pissed to not caring at all.

The people who run NASCAR, NFL, NBA etc etc seem to imagine their audience is locked in for life and will never stop watching... but they are mistaken.

Date: August 25, 2017 22:09

wonderboy

Also agree with Hank that there is less passion in the game and more X's and O's.

It was glaringly obvious with a couple of teams towards the end of last season. I will not name teams to not insult their fans but I remember one game late in the season last year which I was watching (before turning it off) where the defenders simply gave up. They were not even trying to stop end zone TD pass after end TD zone pass. It was clear those millionaire defenders just wanted to be in the off-season... they quit on their team... they quit on their fans... it was pathetic.

I am still complaining so I still care. I am still talking because I hope they do the things they need to turn it around because I do not want to walk away from the NFL. I still like it. I watched every game my team played last year, even though they have not done much post season for years, they still make it fun... but as the season went on I did not stick around for many of the 2nd games or the Sunday/MNF games. The other games were just not compelling like they used to be.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 25, 2017 22:22

A bit off topic but the only place close enough to place this:

Not sure how many of you all follow the ESPN series 30 For 30 but I find the films to be well done and interesting even when I'm not familiar with the topic itself. Last night's debut was no exception. "What Carter Lost" talks about the 1988 Carter (Dallas, TX) High School football team. Apparently, although they are somewhat a footnote in the record books, they are viewed as one of the best High School Football teams in history. I forget how many players they stated received D-1 scholarships and went onto the NFL but the numbers were large considering it is a public high school as opposed to private.

I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to check it out. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and came away with much respect for many of the individuals interviewed. Also much admiration for their honesty and candor on subjects they could have tried to avoid.

Review of film - contains "spoilers"

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 26, 2017 09:50

mr_dja
A bit off topic but the only place close enough to place this:

Not sure how many of you all follow the ESPN series 30 For 30 but I find the films to be well done and interesting even when I'm not familiar with the topic itself. Last night's debut was no exception. "What Carter Lost" talks about the 1988 Carter (Dallas, TX) High School football team. Apparently, although they are somewhat a footnote in the record books, they are viewed as one of the best High School Football teams in history. I forget how many players they stated received D-1 scholarships and went onto the NFL but the numbers were large considering it is a public high school as opposed to private.

I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to check it out. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and came away with much respect for many of the individuals interviewed. Also much admiration for their honesty and candor on subjects they could have tried to avoid.

Review of film - contains "spoilers"

Peace,
Mr DJA

I've got it on DVR. My Hawks looked very good in the big dress rehearsal for the season over KC.

Date: August 27, 2017 03:09

I don't know about having 4 preseason games and 16 regular season games...
Maybe they should... idk... but 4 games which do not count seems like a lot of risk.

I would think training camp and maybe 2 real hitting preseason games would be enough, for professional men who do this year round now, to get ready. It is not like the old days when they went back to regular jobs.

Maybe do 4 games with a rule that starters from last year do not play in 2 of them. Make the other 2 games only guys who are trying to make the roster or something like that. I am not sure. It would need tweaking depending on the numbers... but it seems like risking regular season players, who are guaranteed make the team, is bad for the game.

Looking up the history here is some info about preseason matchups... from wiki

Unlike the regular season, the exhibition matchups are not based on any rotating or set formula.

The NFL schedules the matchups for all of the exhibition games. Since 2002, individual teams have been allowed to negotiate their own deals to play each other during the preseason. The league allows individual teams to provide input into desired matchups and determines the matchups for any games that were not individually negotiated; however, the league sets all game dates and times. The exhibition season schedule is released in the spring, shortly before the regular season schedule is announced. The NFL has set a loose precedent of determining exhibition matchups:

No two teams will face each other in the same exhibition season more than once. (See below)
No NFL team will play a team outside the league. (See below)
Teams in the same division will not play one another during the exhibition season. (See below) - (exception: Atlanta Falcons vs. Los Angeles Rams in 1991)
The league shies away from teams playing in the exhibition season if they are scheduled to play in the regular season. However, this is not always avoidable.
Interconference game (AFC vs. NFC) matchups are common and encouraged, since regular season matchups between interconference teams are infrequent (teams play other-conference teams only once every four years during the regular season). These games allow teams to travel to particular markets more frequently than normal, and represent "fresh" matchups.
Geographically close matchups are preferred, to provide teams with minimal (if possible) exhibition season travel. As such, intrastate rivals are frequent matchups, provided they are not already division foes (Giants/Jets, Ravens/Redskins, Eagles/Steelers, 49ers/Raiders, Bucs/Dolphins/Jaguars, and Chargers/Rams, are all frequent exhibition matchups). The Broncos and Cardinals, the only two teams in the Mountain Time Zone, also play every preseason (though due to Arizona non observance of daylight saving time, Denver is one hour ahead of Arizona during the NFL preseason, which occurs in August).
Teams with close personal ties often play each other. The Steelers and the Panthers, since 1995, close out their preseason together despite a 450-mile distance between Pittsburgh and Charlotte.[5] There are numerous Pittsburgh-area ties to the Panthers organisation, including former head coach John Fox (a former assistant at Pitt and the Steelers), ex-Steeler linebackers Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene finishing out their careers at Carolina, and former Steelers safety Donnie Shell having served as the Panthers Director of Player Development since the team's inception. On the flip side, former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher attended N.C. State and currently lives in Raleigh. Former Steelers players Willie Parker and Jeff Reed both attended UNC. This also reflects on the increasing number of Western Pennsylvania natives in relocating to the Carolinas. Similarly, the Buffalo Bills and Detroit Lions play each other annually in the preseason, since the late Bills owner Ralph Wilson was a native of Detroit and at one point owned a share of the Lions. In addition, both Buffalo and Detroit are the only NFL cities that border Canada, with each city located on opposite sides of Southern Ontario.
Along with general in-state rivalries, some long-established "Governor's Cups" are played annually.
Texas – Dallas vs. Houston (formerly Cowboys vs. Houston Oilers from 1967–96)
Missouri – Kansas City vs. St. Louis (currently suspended due to a lack of a team in St. Louis; formerly Chiefs vs. Cardinals from 1970–87 and Chiefs vs. Rams from 1995–2015)
After the division realignment in 2002, the NFL factors in former division rivalries which were broken due to teams moving to different divisions. For a five-year period from 2002–2006, the league had the authority to schedule former division rivals for exhibition games (the Cardinals and Seattle Seahawks, who were switched from the NFC East and AFC West, respectively, to the NFC West, are the most notable examples). It was a move intended to recover potentially lost revenue due to the end of a popular annual rivalry game. In some rare cases, the league has scheduled "hot" regular-season matchups if they did not happen to be scheduled to play that season. For instance, Tampa Bay and St. Louis had a popular mini-rivalry from 1999 to 2004. The teams were not scheduled to play one another in 2003, so the league reacted by scheduling a Monday night preseason game for them that season.

Date: August 27, 2017 04:26

I seem to have landed in some kind of crazy parallel universe tonight where the LAC are playing LAR... both at home in LA.

Weird

Date: August 28, 2017 03:24

i agree less passion today. maybe its because they pay these guys so much they don't care

Date: August 28, 2017 03:36

SF looking pretty good tonight. God help us!

Date: August 28, 2017 04:04

keefriffhard4life
i agree less passion today. maybe its because they pay these guys so much they don't care

They go from athletes to millionaires.
Millionaires aint gotta work that hard, they RICH!!

My solution would be pay rookies a flat starting salary with descending bonuses to the top 50 draft picks. After their first year they go on commission, straight commission... just like I am paid. I have been paid straight commission for the last 20 years and it keeps me hungry, I like it like that.

But I might go easy on NFL players, maybe pay all players a base salary of $350,00 per year plus commission. Set it up so a man can earn $1-3-10-50 million+ a year but it will based on onfield performance. It would be somewhat complicated, paying different positions based on different goal levels... but it would be fair, everyone would agree on the terms. Teams would not save money under a new pay system. Basically the agreement would be a player has to repeat what he did before (in the years before signing that HUGE CONTRACT) to EARN the huge money.

Too often I have seen players have awesome years putting up huge numbers, then they negotiate a new monster contract and never come close to the previous years numbers again... as they fade out of the league.

I would like to see this done in MLB too.

These guys make too much money guaranteed, locked in no matter how crappy of a year they have and I think it is starting to hurt the game.

PS
And freekin teams should have the same deal with fans on ticket prices.
If they wanna charge $100-600 per ticket, $50.00 to park, $20.00 for beer... then that team better damned well perform!

Dont make the post season 3 years in a row??? Give fans a rebate.
Go under 8/8 on the season 2 years in a row??? Give fans a rebate!
etc etc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-28 04:14 by HankM.

Date: August 29, 2017 12:42

a bunch of Seahawks have been going to Germany for regenokine treatment. something where they take the blood out & put in a centrifuge to separate out anti inflammatories which are then put back in the player. procedure banned in the US but not banned by the league. sort of reminds me of Keith getting his blood changed, haha.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 29, 2017 23:32

Hey CR - your from seattle - quick question is this Chris Carson for real? I'm thinking about taking a flyer on him as a late pick in my fantasy pool and insite?

Thanks

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 30, 2017 03:21

crholmstrom
a bunch of Seahawks have been going to Germany for regenokine treatment. something where they take the blood out & put in a centrifuge to separate out anti inflammatories which are then put back in the player. procedure banned in the US but not banned by the league. sort of reminds me of Keith getting his blood changed, haha.
Kobe, Peyton, and Tiger (first names should be sufficient) have all gotten it too. Either it's just a trendy, high-priced fad or there must be tangible results.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 30, 2017 03:22

So...Matt Stafford is the highest-paid player in NFL history.

Dafuq?

Date: August 30, 2017 09:57

umakmehrd
Hey CR - your from seattle - quick question is this Chris Carson for real? I'm thinking about taking a flyer on him as a late pick in my fantasy pool and insite?

Thanks

I think he's for real. Another violent runner for Pete Carroll. I'd take a flyer on him. Think he has already displaced Eddie Lacy as the number 2 back with Thomas Rawls as #1. Rawls gets hurt a lot though.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 30, 2017 13:41

MrMibbs
potus43
Why are you trolling me!! Stop it NOW or I will report you!!! I mean it!
That is Brilliant! You were probably a big Snake Stabler fan
And he probably dresses for a Raiders game like he's in GWAR.

Date: August 30, 2017 14:06

ab
MrMibbs
potus43
Why are you trolling me!! Stop it NOW or I will report you!!! I mean it!
That is Brilliant! You were probably a big Snake Stabler fan
And he probably dresses for a Raiders game like he's in GWAR.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 31, 2017 00:10

Thanks CR

HAWKS !!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 31, 2017 07:23

Seattle Seahawks 2017 NFC Champions. Super Bowl bound. You heard it here first.

Date: August 31, 2017 07:29

Midnight Toker
Seattle Seahawks 2017 NFC Champions. Super Bowl bound. You heard it here first.

From your lips to God's ear....GO HAWKS!

Date: September 1, 2017 11:58

Hawks 4 & 0 in the preseason. I believe that was the case in the Super Bowl winning season. Just saying....GO HAWKS!!!!!

Date: September 1, 2017 12:12

crholmstrom
Hawks 4 & 0 in the preseason. I believe that was the case in the Super Bowl winning season. Just saying....GO HAWKS!!!!!

means nothing. I believe the lions went 3-1 in preseason and then 0-16 in the regular season

Date: September 1, 2017 13:49

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

means nothing. I believe the lions went 3-1 in preseason and then 0-16 in the regular season

true, true. the hawks are looking pretty good this year though. they have made it through the preseason relatively unscathed. we should be right in the mix for the championship. tough test to start the season: @ green bay. the hawks roster is too deep in some areas. some other lesser teams are going to benefit from the waiver wire.

Date: September 2, 2017 20:03

Game over. With the trade to get Sheldon Richardson the Hawks have a good shot of having the best defense of all time. Barring injury, of course. See you in Minnesota in February...GO HAWKS!

Date: September 3, 2017 03:58

crholmstrom
Game over. With the trade to get Sheldon Richardson the Hawks have a good shot of having the best defense of all time. Barring injury, of course. See you in Minnesota in February...GO HAWKS!

game over? why do you think the jets traded him away and what about the big blow to seattles offense?

Date: September 3, 2017 11:37

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

game over? why do you think the jets traded him away and what about the big blow to seattles offense?

The Hawks were most likely going to cut Kearse anyway. They are very deep at receiver & Kearse underperformed last year. Richardson will be going into a strong locker room with a lot of veteran presence. He was being thrust into a leadership role with the Jets since they have gotten rid of most of their veterans. He won't have to deal with that here. + he is coming into a decidedly winning program with stable management. All of that losing in NYC has to wear on a player. The Jets are setting themselves up for next year's draft. So, the Hawks gave up a player they weren't in love with & a draft pick at the end of the 2nd round to fill 1 of the very few holes in the defense. Teams are going to have a very tough time scoring on the Hawks this year & I think the Hawk offense is totally on the mend. I'm excited!

Date: September 3, 2017 12:17

crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

The Hawks were most likely going to cut Kearse anyway. They are very deep at receiver & Kearse underperformed last year. Richardson will be going into a strong locker room with a lot of veteran presence. He was being thrust into a leadership role with the Jets since they have gotten rid of most of their veterans. He won't have to deal with that here. + he is coming into a decidedly winning program with stable management. All of that losing in NYC has to wear on a player. The Jets are setting themselves up for next year's draft. So, the Hawks gave up a player they weren't in love with & a draft pick at the end of the 2nd round to fill 1 of the very few holes in the defense. Teams are going to have a very tough time scoring on the Hawks this year & I think the Hawk offense is totally on the mend. I'm excited!

Richardson was being a loud mouth last season too. he's had 2 different off the field issues and several issues on the field. Richardson was on the jets for 2 losing seasons and a winning season and an even season. he was projected to be a backup DE for the jets anyways, not even a starter or a needed a leader.

Date: September 3, 2017 14:35

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

Richardson was being a loud mouth last season too. he's had 2 different off the field issues and several issues on the field. Richardson was on the jets for 2 losing seasons and a winning season and an even season. he was projected to be a backup DE for the jets anyways, not even a starter or a needed a leader.

I actually feel sorry for the Jets fans for this year & the coach. Being a Seahawk fan since day 1 of the franchise, I've been through seasons like that. Bowles was an excellent coordinator & isn't being given much of a chance. I hope they don't let him go after this season. Let's see what he can do with the youngsters the Jets are picking up & they should get an excellent pick in next year's draft. The way things are now, I think 4 wins this season would be the over/under for the Jets. On the other hand, that number for the Hawks should be about 12. Total disclosure, I haven't check the Vegas line. Just a guess. I've got $50 on the Hawks to win it all @ 8 to 1. Some friends went to Tahoe & placed the bet for me. I think that number is going to drop & the Hawks, GB & NE are all going to be in the same range. I'm rooting for the Raiders on the AFC side. I think the Hawks & GB are pretty even on the NFC side. NE clearly in front on the AFC with the Raiders a little behind that. Should be fun to see how it all turns out. Bottom line, think the trade was good for both the Hawks & Jets. Different expectations & needs.

Date: September 3, 2017 14:49

i said 5 wins this year for the jets is over acheiving

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home