Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 28, 2017 16:52

not sure about either of these two..

but 'England Lost' is a cousin of 'Rain Fall Down', imo...

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:12

corriecas
peoplewitheyes
Sweet Thing sounds like a solid gold master-f_cking-piece compared to these two new ones.
smileys with beersmileys with beersmoking smiley
True !!
Jeroen

thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beersmileys with beer

Date: July 28, 2017 17:18

Can't really see a difference between the two cuts. I;m glad Mick put out couple of new tracks, but they are pretty lame. I wonder - who really does he see them appealing to? Young people? Old Stones fans?

Date: July 28, 2017 17:23

35love
stone4ever
I wanted to know if it's just me so played the two new songs to my wife and adult sons last night and to my friends today, all are casual Stones fans. To be polite they really don't like either of them, even after a few plays.
Is this another example of the herd mentality being expressed on IORR. Be honest Mick has done better on all of his solo albums.

Well, I've got no herd mentality, and have disliked some RS (Goat's Head Soup, except 'Winter') and stood up to Goat lovers over it.
Do you dance? Maybe you'd like it better if you shook a tail feather.
Either way, it's only music. IORR.

Do i dance ??. Absolutely, i love dancing. But why would that excuse these tracks, why would that make me fulfilled as a Stones fan.
I'm looking for a glimmer of genius from Mick, this is the man along with Keith that changed my life for the better and made me so excited about their music. Why can't i be disappointed in Mick without people assuming i can't dance. So anyone who dislikes this effort from Mick obviously can't dance confused smiley

Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:31

retired_dog
Both songs muuuch better than I expected, Micks voice finally recovered again (after all this awful Watching The River Flow/Following The River/Superheavy/Exile Bonus nasality). Great grooves, Micks harmonica on both tracks, even some stonesy guitar riffs on GGAG. Well done, Mick!

Of course there's some predictable flak from the usual suspects, what's their name, the "Keithettes", but, hey, it had to happen, "Mick solo can't be any good" shal. l be the whole of the law, so what?
as for silly fights and the ket Mickey or Keith Etta, I felt crossed eyed mostly similarly disconnected. Disposable but different.

Date: July 28, 2017 17:33

retired_dog
stone4ever
I wanted to know if it's just me so played the two new songs to my wife and adult sons last night and to my friends today, all are casual Stones fans. To be polite they really don't like either of them, even after a few plays.
Is this another example of the herd mentality being expressed on IORR. Be honest Mick has done better on all of his solo albums.

Ever thought about your family 'n friends just tryin' to keep you happy?

Haha, no that ain't gonna happen baby, besides they know that Mick along with Keith ,has given me more pleasure in my life than just about anything else.
The fact that Mick sucks these days wouldn't even occur to them, they know i'm a Stones nut through and through. I love this band, people always miss the point with me.
One last time, up until Mick went solo i thought he was the Best, he still is the best when it comes to pre 85'. Nothing can take that away, the guy was a god like genius, but he lost his way.

Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Date: July 28, 2017 17:45

retired_dog
Both songs muuuch better than I expected, Micks voice finally recovered again (after all this awful Watching The River Flow/Following The River/Superheavy/Exile Bonus nasality). Great grooves, Micks harmonica on both tracks, even some stonesy guitar riffs on GGAG. Well done, Mick!

Of course there's some predictable flak from the usual suspects, what's their name, the "Keithettes", but, hey, it had to happen, "Mick solo can't be any good" shall be the whole of the law, so what?

What on earth are you talking about !! ''stonesy guitar riffs'' ??

BTW just because people don't like it doesn't necessarily make them Keithettes
Sure i am a Keithette lol but plenty of people on here that don't rate these two tracks are Mick fans also, STONES FANS, remember ??
Are we allowed to be Stones fan's who can criticize Mick or Keith if we don't like what they do. Why do we always have to be labelled because we are not overly impressed.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:46

Not crazy about either of them. Dislike production that sounds like a transistor radio was played full blast through a PA system. Still, it could be worse...it could be "Charmed Life" or "One Day, One Night" or "I Can't Take It No More."

I'm not so certain these were rejects of the Stones sessions so much as testing the water for the weird experimental tracks on the new Stones album. If these go over well, the next Stones single is likely to be not too far afield.

I also don't put too much into what Mick chooses to share about the Stones sessions. He and Keith have made a concentrated effort of late to send the message that it's early days yet so the pressure of where's the new album goes away and instead becomes there will be an album next year since they're going to be working on it. A nice way of saving face and defusing media and internet speculation about something going wrong in the studio or poor reactions from Don Was, the label, or the rest of the band.

Date: July 28, 2017 17:48

The songs are decent.
But the mix is compressed and Mick's voice is distorted similarly to some of the songs on Goddess in the Doorway.
I think that more "natural" sound would fit better, although I admit that for this music style a little distortion can work. But not on the voice so much and generally lower.

Generally I think that Jagger trusts too much to his producers and mixing engineers. The mixes and sound character of Blue and Lonesome, Bigger Bang, Goddess in the Doorway and Wandering Spirit could have been much better than they are.

Crosseyed Heart on the other hand has great mix.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 17:52 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:55

What a nice surprise to open IORR and discover these new Jagger tracks. Been listening to different mixes and watching the videos for the whole day... Quite a package in one token! I like the new 'method' of just cutting the tracks and release them quickly in some form or other made possible by the day's technology. Great that they released all the versions officially in youtube - so easy to reach.

And good that they have these different versions. Sometimes the whole 'different mixes' thing, especially as that started back in the 80's, begs the question 'what's the point', but at least this time having these different 'angles' to the song sounds justified. Somehow they all support each other and give a richer experience of the song. I especially like Alok and Kevin Parker re-mixes of "Gotta Get a Grip", both emphasizing some extreme sides, and pushing Mick more apart from typical his earlier solo or Stones efforts (a Matt Clifford one I could do without - that sounds way too much goddessinthedoorwayish).

Both songs belong to the old Jagger template in which the old blues rocker meets the more current dance grooves, we especially get to know in the 80's. Sometimes the coctail result works nicely, sometimes not. I think this time Jagger succeeds rather nicely - the songs sound surprisingly cohesive and fresh. Mick's voice sounds powerful - continuing from where he left us in BLUE & LONESOME.

Okay, that was my first impression. A more detailed review will follow when I get to know the songs better. Nothing ground-breaking for sure but the stuff sounds good and vital enough to me! Makes me forget that the guy is actually seventy-four...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 18:23 by Doxa.

Date: July 28, 2017 18:00

Doxa, you should win an award for being the most predictable poster in the history of iorr. I take my hat off to you. Congratulations man, you make average sound indispensable, its a rare gift you have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 18:05 by stone4ever.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:01

Do any of the GGaG mixes feature, you know, chord changes or different melodic lines? I don't really want to spend too much time listening more to this if not.

Date: July 28, 2017 18:04

In a way they remind me of what I disliked so much about Main Offender - just grooves that go nowhere, no sweeping chorus, no melancholy bridge, just over and over on the same chord (or note even), and just so dull after about 30 seconds.

Most rap/hip hop lingers on the same repeated loop, but for starters that loop is normally a lot more groovy and enjoyable, and then the lyrical dexterity of the rapper elevates into something really special.

Neither element present here.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:09

stone4ever
Doxa, you should win an award for being the most predictable poster in the history of iorr. I take my hat off to you. Congratulations man, you make average sound indispensable, its a rare gift you have.

Oh not anyone can be so non-predictable as you are, riffie. I am sure everybody here is stunned how 'never heard that before' your latest contributions in this thread are...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 18:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:15

Palace Revolution 2000
Can't really see a difference between the two cuts. I;m glad Mick put out couple of new tracks, but they are pretty lame. I wonder - who really does he see them appealing to? Young people? Old Stones fans?

It's 'possible' maybe HE just likes them.
I've just heard GGaG so far - it's OK.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:35

stone4ever
35love
stone4ever

Well, I've got no herd mentality, and have disliked some RS (Goat's Head Soup, except 'Winter') and stood up to Goat lovers over it.
Do you dance? Maybe you'd like it better if you shook a tail feather.
Either way, it's only music. IORR.

Do i dance ??. Absolutely, i love dancing. But why would that excuse these tracks, why would that make me fulfilled as a Stones fan.
I'm looking for a glimmer of genius from Mick, this is the man along with Keith that changed my life for the better and made me so excited about their music. Why can't i be disappointed in Mick without people assuming i can't dance. So anyone who dislikes this effort from Mick obviously can't dance confused smiley

Whoa man, nobody said you aren't John Travolta. I think I've said 3 times:
We all like different things *shrugs.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:38

peoplewitheyes
Do any of the GGaG mixes feature, you know, chord changes or different melodic lines? I don't really want to spend too much time listening more to this if not.

10 minutes for free is too much of your time?

(Kidding, really joke is on me I am one impatient bugger)

Date: July 28, 2017 18:42

Whoa man, nobody said you aren't John Travolta. I think I've said 3 times:
We all like different things *shrugs.

Lol 35love i got a bit carried away there hehe.

The funny thing is my nick name is John Travolta, but man i do a mean air guitar, more like keef Travolta smoking smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:47

Blue and Lonesome is a hard act to follow. But glad Mick is keeping busy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:52

stone4ever

condescend much?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:54

They are not bad...upon first listen. Not sure whether that means I'll grow to love them or hate them.

We'll see...I've dutifully put in my vinyl and cd orders.

Date: July 28, 2017 18:57

DEmerson
Palace Revolution 2000
Can't really see a difference between the two cuts. I;m glad Mick put out couple of new tracks, but they are pretty lame. I wonder - who really does he see them appealing to? Young people? Old Stones fans?[/q[/b]uote]

It's 'possible' maybe HE just likes them.
I've just heard GGaG so far - it's OK.

On the contrary, i bet my left nut that Mick is always very ambitious in his mind towards who his solo songs will appeal to. What amazes me is that he gets it so incredibly wrong with such consistency.
He would like to reach a very young audience, but what he ends up doing is looking like an old swinger gatecrashing an 18th birthday party for strictly teens only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 19:02 by stone4ever.

Date: July 28, 2017 18:59

treaclefingers
stone4ever

condescend much?

Ok i had that coming winking smiley

Date: July 28, 2017 19:09

'but what he ends up doing is looking like an old swinger gatecrashing an 18th birthday party for strictly teens only.'

Ha ha! I was laughing at that, Stone4Ever...

... 'til I realised that also described me

eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 19:22 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 28, 2017 19:14

Good for Mick to treat us to new music!! And for him to get non Stones music out on his own so we can get treated to great Rolling Stones music on the new album.

Actually don't mind the GGG Seeb Remix, more emphasis on dance music and makes the lyrics somewhat palatable.

Date: July 28, 2017 19:20

peoplewitheyes
'but what he ends up doing is looking like an old swinger gatecrashing an 18th birthday party for strictly teens only.'

Ha ha! I was laughing at the, Stone4Ever or Demerson...

... 'til I realised that also described me

eye popping smiley

Haha, got ya peoplewitheyes, you could say to me, it takes one to know one winking smiley
I'm the oldest swinger in town.

Demerson ??

Date: July 28, 2017 19:23

Stone4Eva, I couldn't work out who had said that...

Date: July 28, 2017 19:25

peoplewitheyes
Stone4Eva, I couldn't work out who had said that...

Oh i see, i made a mess of that post it ended up in the wrong box.
yeah it was my post.

Date: July 28, 2017 19:36

Doxa
stone4ever

Oh not anyone can be so non-predictable as you are, riffie. I am sure everybody here is stunned how 'never heard that before' your latest contributions in this thread are...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Well lol i did say initially that i liked GGAG but just about everything i have said since makes me easily the second most predictable poster on iorr eye rolling smiley
Ok you will all be very relieved to know that i'm off to leave all you good people alone to enjoy your thread, tel r for a bits chums. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 28, 2017 19:43

peoplewitheyes

Most rap/hip hop lingers on the same repeated loop, but for starters that loop is normally a lot more groovy and enjoyable, and then the lyrical dexterity of the rapper elevates into something really special.

Neither element present here.

Thumbs up.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home