Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: The rise and fall of the rock star
Date: December 26, 2017 00:32

Javadave
Bjork and Shakira play a form of rock'n'roll?<<<<

Bjork's music is electronic inspired, but most record stores file her in their a Rock sections. Shakira plays "Rock En Espanol", and has the best set of Rock & Roll hips since Tina Turner.

Nothing wrong with them (Bjork in particular), but if we gotta scrape that low down in the barrel to find current rock stars, rock'n'roll must be dead.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 26, 2017 00:43

rock'n'roll must be dead.

Nah... Rock and Roll will never die... As long as guys like Ronnie Wood, Bård Andersson, Neil Young are still out here smiling, rocking and rolling and having a good time rock and roll is alive and well.

Date: December 26, 2017 00:57

grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2017 20:20

Still kickin'!

Date: December 27, 2017 01:17

So it turns out that Cindy Loo Who turned into a rock star too...
and not in a frilly, cute, "oh shes rock" type of way... I mean Taylor Momsen ROCKS!!!

I was surprised to learn about Taylor Momsen last night after watching Jim Carey's Grinch movie... and I wondered what became of the cute kid who played Cindy Loo... turns out she said "fk acting I WANNA ROCK!!!" and rock she does...

I am quite impressed how young she joined some dudes who can play, wrote some songs
and hit the fkn road! They have toured their asses off, paying dues on the road.

As long as kids like her feel the the rock fire burn, rock and roll we will be fine!

The Pretty Reckless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-27 01:23 by Leonioid.

Date: December 27, 2017 01:19

I love rock and roll women!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 27, 2017 06:44

[www.youtube.com]
Rock and Roll Queen - Mott The Hoople

Listen woman you needn't look so stupid when I call your name out loud
Cause everybody thinks you're a sweet smelling girl with intelligence
And you know how
I wouldn't want anyone else to know
About the way you really are

You're just a rock and roll queen
You know what I mean
And I'm just a rock and roll star

Listen woman you needn't go to bed with everybody that you meet
Cause everybody thinks you're a sweet little girl with intelligence in
Your feet
I wouldn't want anyone else to know
About the way you really are

You know what I mean
Alright!
You know what I mean

Songwriters: Mick Ralphs

Date: December 27, 2017 18:51

Gene Simmons, a vastly talentless person, said rock music is dead.

Ian Astbury correctly stated that Gene Simmons has nothing to do with rock music or any music, that he's a shopping mall. If curious to hear Astbury about what Gene Simmons said, ha ha, go to 7:27 of this video.

[www.futuro.cl]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 27, 2017 19:05

Its very hard to be a "rock star" in the conventional sense of the word these days. I question whether we truly have any. People like Taylor Momsen... they're fine, and actually don't mind their music, but the gimmick is her. Same with this band Halestorm. They are good singers and good performers, but what sets them apart is they are women. Which is great cause we need more women in rock. But I don't necessarily see anything "special" in them. Or at least no more than many other frontmen these days. Taylor doesn't harp on that connection, in fact she completely rejects it, but it will always be there. IMO she's not like a Joan Jett, or even a Miley Cyrus, who I actually do think is unique and has the credentials to back that up. Most of the rock stars these days are passably fine, but rather interchangeable. I think "rock stars" are a very antiquated idea these days unfortunately because I think any that we may have today are either trying too hard or don't have the material to actually back up their status. Rock stars of the 70s had an image but also great music to propel them even further and feed off of. Today, most "rock stars" have fairly generic music, which I don't mind but do feel is the truth.

Gene Simmons is a bonehead although I have yet to see anyone truly explain why he is wrong. They don't want it to be true, and I get that there's a lot of music underground that would maybe go against his point. Mainstream rock for the most part is dead, he is not wrong, and even on the underground circuit there's good stuff, but that spirit of rock and roll largely isn't there anymore, or its greatly changed. And I'm not sure why many people deny that. That is why when a band like Greta Van Fleet comes on the scene it gets an insane amount of traction. Cause there's nothing terribly special about them, but its a sound and a spirit that is largely gone. For lack of a better phrase, they basically get touted because they are the best we have. If rock was alive, I don't think they'd be as big of a deal and thats not a knock to them. Gene Simmons is an idiot, but I think he's right on that point. Rock is dead and its why we also don't really have rock stars anymore.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 27, 2017 19:07

'Rock music' is very much alive; it's just no-longer the dominant genre. I don't follow the current scene particularly, but I know there's plenty out there if you really look.

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: December 27, 2017 19:11

RollingFreak
Its very hard to be a "rock star" in the conventional sense of the word these days. I question whether we truly have any. People like Taylor Momsen... they're fine, and actually don't mind their music, but the gimmick is her. Same with this band Halestorm. They are good singers and good performers, but what sets them apart is they are women. Which is great cause we need more women in rock. But I don't necessarily see anything "special" in them. Or at least no more than many other frontmen these days. Taylor doesn't harp on that connection, in fact she completely rejects it, but it will always be there. IMO she's not like a Joan Jett, or even a Miley Cyrus, who I actually do think is unique and has the credentials to back that up. Most of the rock stars these days are passably fine, but rather interchangeable. I think "rock stars" are a very antiquated idea these days unfortunately because I think any that we may have today are either trying too hard or don't have the material to actually back up their status. Rock stars of the 70s had an image but also great music to propel them even further and feed off of. Today, most "rock stars" have fairly generic music, which I don't mind but do feel is the truth.

Gene Simmons is a bonehead although I have yet to see anyone truly explain why he is wrong. They don't want it to be true, and I get that there's a lot of music underground that would maybe go against his point. Mainstream rock for the most part is dead, he is not wrong, and even on the underground circuit there's good stuff, but that spirit of rock and roll largely isn't there anymore, or its greatly changed. And I'm not sure why many people deny that. That is why when a band like Greta Van Fleet comes on the scene it gets an insane amount of traction. Cause there's nothing terribly special about them, but its a sound and a spirit that is largely gone. For lack of a better phrase, they basically get touted because they are the best we have. If rock was alive, I don't think they'd be as big of a deal and thats not a knock to them. Gene Simmons is an idiot, but I think he's right on that point. Rock is dead and its why we also don't really have rock stars anymore.

Spot on! thumbs upcool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 27, 2017 19:15

Big Al
'Rock music' is very much alive; it's just no-longer the dominant genre. I don't follow the current scene particularly, but I know there's plenty out there if you really look.

thumbs up

Rock and Roll will never die...

Date: December 27, 2017 20:30

RollingFreak

Consider the past: in the late 1970s, disco was huge. Rock music was still around. SOME GIRLS, for the Stones at least, is a great comment on that fact.

In the mid-1980s, pop music was huge. In the mid-late to late 1980s, rock music was still around. The Cult with ELECTRIC, Guns'N'Roses, even Aerosmith. Bruce Springsteen. Oh and the Stones. I know there are others, like Bon Jovi, but you get the point.

And at that time Soundgarden was coming up. What would become Pearl Jam was coming up. Nirvana. Stone Temple Pilots. Etc.

Rock music isn't dead. Gene Simmons' brain is dead.

Rock stars, on the other hand, is probably more of a historical behavioural aspect than rock music being (enter cultural aspect here). To some degree there will always be a rock star. Whether it's national or international probably won't really matter at some point.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 27, 2017 20:54

In the past, rock stars were people who lived mythological lives over a period of time with much mystery & myth surrounding them.

In today's music world there are just the latest flavor of the day character creations put forth for media consumption until they flame out and the next one surfaces.

IMO: The combination of the 24x7 news cycle, social media & web servers storing everything ever shared or posted has dissolved any mystique necessary to 'create' an enduring contemporary rock star.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 27, 2017 21:34

GasLightStreet
RollingFreak

Consider the past: in the late 1970s, disco was huge. Rock music was still around. SOME GIRLS, for the Stones at least, is a great comment on that fact.

In the mid-1980s, pop music was huge. In the mid-late to late 1980s, rock music was still around. The Cult with ELECTRIC, Guns'N'Roses, even Aerosmith. Bruce Springsteen. Oh and the Stones. I know there are others, like Bon Jovi, but you get the point.

And at that time Soundgarden was coming up. What would become Pearl Jam was coming up. Nirvana. Stone Temple Pilots. Etc.

Rock stars, on the other hand, is probably more of a historical behavioural aspect than rock music being (enter cultural aspect here). To some degree there will always be a rock star. Whether it's national or international probably won't really matter at some point.

True, but as always with most people, you stopped listing anything past the 90s. And its all the old standbys. I do get what you're saying, but it looks silly saying "rock music isn't dead" when your most recent example is Stone Temple Pilots. I'm not asking you for more current examples (although if you wanted to thats fine), but just pointing out the irony. When Green Day took the world over (again) with American Idiot, I'd say their frontman Billie Joe Armstrong was a bona fide rock star. I'd argue Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters is a bona fide rock star. But even those two that I really like I'd concede are rather "rock star" lite, which speaks for their music as well. And again I'm a fan. They have flashes of classic rock star elements, yet also don't truly have their own personas or anything. Dave Grohl is basically your amalgamation of ALL rock stars, which is cool but again just works in this day and age cause there really aren't any.

Despite how it may sound, I'm not trying to get into a "rock is or is not dead" argument here, cause I already sense Hairball starting to fire up at the thought and I just don't have the time or patience on the internet, whereas it is a fun conversation in a bar with beer and human interaction. But just saying its hard for me to take it seriously online when there's really no counter besides "you don't look hard enough" and then everyone ends up listing the same (rather bland) modern day examples.

Mr. Dja, I think you're pretty right. Combine that and the need to kind of whore yourself also with the fact that history shows many of the greatest rock stars ended up dying. You can respect them, but not necessarily want to emulate them. Guys like Jim Morrison are incredible, but you get people nowadays who appreciate and try to take that model, but obviously don't want to kill themselves. And by doing that, you really end up just being an imitation. Ironically, the thing that sets them apart is their sheer willingness to have it all go away in the blink of an eye. That wasn't all rock stars, but it was a lot. People like Jagger and Bowie handled it well. People like Keith Richards got lucky. Many of the others though went too far, and its exactly why we love them but also don't necessarily try to be them. You even see it with someone like Axl Rose these days. On this Guns N Roses reunion tour, he probably sang better than he had in years and looked more comfortable. But he wasn't the reckless rock star he was 25 years ago. He was punctual, he was a people pleaser. He was... predictable. Which is fine, its probably the best you can expect from him at this point. He's no spring chicken anymore and grew out of it. But many of those last rock stars, IMO, kind of shed it for one reason or another as they age. For Axl, its for a number of reasons. I don't think there are many people like Jagger who I still consider the same rock star he's always been, but leads two very distinct lives. He's Mick Jagger the rock star EVERY TIME he's on stage, but leaves it solely there and is a different Jagger everywhere else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-27 21:40 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 27, 2017 22:27

Terrific post, RollingFreak! As a 34-year-old, the last 'rock stars' I remember are the likes of Billie Joe Armstrong, Dave Grohol and Noel Gallagher. Aside from Pete Doherty - and that's at a stretch - I cannot think of anyone else whose had a genuinely profound impact on my gentstion or later.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 27, 2017 22:43

The term "rock star" means to be a household name.

But this is the age of the "rap star" and "pop star", big names who make news and who are known in the culture of young people.

There are younger rock musicians, but only aging rock stars.

The culture of rock is dead, but its legacy lives on.

There was the age of ragtime, jazz, rock; but all that was before has come to pass, just like rap will one day and whatever comes along to replace it, but there will always be those who will want to play and hear all of the above just as there are those who will want to play and hear the classical composers of centuries before.

Rock music is now part of cultural history.

History will always be there.

Promoters are worried about the demise of "classic rock"... because that will mean the end of "stadium rock"... because rock will never be that lucrative again.

These younger rock bands that we really have to "look for" to find out there: Do they play stadiums holding 70,000 plus?

When you review your Rolling Stones history of their origins, think of those "trad jazz" musicians being displaced by this early 60s wave of R&B groups with their rock and roll approach -- that's what it's like now for rock musicians, more of a niche than a way of life.

Date: December 27, 2017 23:08

Thought:

Back in the day: we had "Rock/Music Stars", "Movie Stars", "TV Stars". They were larger than life and their fans couldn't wait to get the next piece of information about them.

Now: we have "Celebretards" and "Reality TV Stars" who dominate the fandom's attention.

Just look at the attention that the Kardashions and tv singing contestants get vs. "Billie Joe Armstrong, Dave Grohol and Noel Gallagher".

The marketing encouraged our generations to look at Rock/Music, Movie & TV stars. Now, no need to look, nothing to see from professional musicians and actors. Let's just tune in to see "scripted reality" and the latest YouTube sensation.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading biographies on artists, but I miss the elusive, off-kilter, operating in the shadows of society stars of yesteryear.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 27, 2017 23:18

mr_dja
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading biographies on artists, but I miss the elusive, off-kilter, operating in the shadows of society stars of yesteryear.

Major reason I hate that every musician these days is in a million bands. I understand why, because its hard to make a living as a touring musician these days so you need a lot of avenues and outlets, but you literally have no time to "miss" anyone these days. They are always around for the most part. Which is nice in some respects, but I miss the days of seeing a band every 2-3 years and them truly disappearing and building interest in between that time. It resulted in better more worthwhile and lasting projects as well.

Date: December 27, 2017 23:23

RollingFreak
mr_dja

Major reason I hate that every musician these days is in a million bands. I understand why, because its hard to make a living as a touring musician these days so you need a lot of avenues and outlets, but you literally have no time to "miss" anyone these days. They are always around for the most part. Which is nice in some respects, but I miss the days of seeing a band every 2-3 years and them truly disappearing and building interest in between that time. It resulted in better more worthwhile and lasting projects as well.

Great point... Absence does make the heart grow fonder, right? Nice post above as well! thumbs upthumbs up

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 27, 2017 23:30

mr_dja
"Celebretards"

Lol... I don't recall ever hearing that term, but have to say that is funny!smiling smiley

Date: December 27, 2017 23:41

RollingFreak
I'm not trying to get into a "rock is or is not dead" argument here, cause I already sense Hairball starting to fire up at the thought

Nah...haha not this time...can't really think of a meaningful and/or persuasive counter-argument to the subject.
My top 10 list of 2017 is made up of classic rock bands, old blues, and vintage reggae with the exception of the new album by the Charlatans (UK).
But they've always been a bit off the radar as far as "popular" rock and roll is concerned in the US, though they're better known and have had some hits in the UK.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 28, 2017 17:30

This might deserve its own topic heading, but I'm putting it here. A piece from the NYT and Billboard magazine on the passage of time and musicians. I wish I knew who a number of the people on the Billboard list are/were.

[www.nytimes.com]

[www.billboard.com]

Date: December 28, 2017 18:36

RollingFreak
GasLightStreet
RollingFreak

True, but as always with most people, you stopped listing anything past the 90s. And its all the old standbys. I do get what you're saying, but it looks silly saying "rock music isn't dead" when your most recent example is Stone Temple Pilots. I'm not asking you for more current examples (although if you wanted to thats fine), but just pointing out the irony. When Green Day took the world over (again) with American Idiot, I'd say their frontman Billie Joe Armstrong was a bona fide rock star. I'd argue Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters is a bona fide rock star. But even those two that I really like I'd concede are rather "rock star" lite, which speaks for their music as well. And again I'm a fan. They have flashes of classic rock star elements, yet also don't truly have their own personas or anything. Dave Grohl is basically your amalgamation of ALL rock stars, which is cool but again just works in this day and age cause there really aren't any.

The point I was making was the music scene changed over the years, in this example, decades, obviously, but rock music was still around. I stopped where I did because I thought it was enough to show the point. I know there are loads of others since the 1990s. Hell, there are loads of others I left out in general.

I guess I went way off topic. Rock stars. Dave Grohl, yeah. Josh Homme? He's been acting like one lately.

New rock stars? If we go by RNRHOF standards, it doesn't have to be, say, for example, Jack White, it could be deadmau5.

Date: December 28, 2017 19:21

Leonioid
rock'n'roll must be dead.

Nah... Rock and Roll will never die... As long as guys like Ronnie Wood, Bård Andersson, Neil Young are still out here smiling, rocking and rolling and having a good time rock and roll is alive and well.

But this is a fact: That whole generation is dying off. What happens in a very few years when that whole school of rockers is either too old to play, or gone?
I believe there are plenty of rockers out there. But they look and sound different now; and one must look with new eyes.

Date: December 28, 2017 19:34

Alot of the new and young rock bands come across as manufactured - not all of them of course, but that's the impression I get with some of them.
Even this "phenomenon" called Greta Van Fleet - I've seen and heard a couple of interviews where they say their influences are Dylan, the Who, etc. Sounds like someone (maybe their dad or uncle?) is coaching them to make them seem legitimate...giving them a crash course in rock history and force feeding them Zeppelin style rock in which they they then regurgitate. Without the guidance of their manager (or dad or uncle), they would probably be more like Hansen . But I could be totally wrong and they're completely authentic and sincere....the great new hope for saving rock and roll...lol

Date: December 28, 2017 20:53

Palace Revolution 2000
Leonioid
rock'n'roll IS NOT dead.

But this is a fact: That whole generation is dying off. What happens in a very few years when that whole school of rockers is either too old to play, or gone?
I believe there are plenty of rockers out there. But they look and sound different now; and one must look with new eyes.

Yes, sadly people will die, but the spirit of Robert Johnson lives on. Whether we find it (or not) depends on perception and yes, I agree, keeping new eyes.

I never give up (dump off) music I liked as kid (or from 10 years ago)(although I will sheild my opinions to avoid the yadda yadda) simply because so many people say it is not cool/good anymore, and that good ole music keeps my engines running... as I constantly look for new rocking music, rocking people and rock stars (guys and gals) for the future.

Hey hey my my ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE
my my hey hey ROCK AND ROLL IS HERE TO STAY

Date: December 28, 2017 22:03

Hairball
Alot of the new and young rock bands come across as manufactured - not all of them of course, but that's the impression I get with some of them.
Even this "phenomenon" called Greta Van Fleet - I've seen and heard a couple of interviews where they say their influences are Dylan, the Who, etc. Sounds like someone (maybe their dad or uncle?) is coaching them to make them seem legitimate...giving them a crash course in rock history and force feeding them Zeppelin style rock in which they they then regurgitate. Without the guidance of their manager (or dad or uncle), they would probably be more like Hansen . But I could be totally wrong and they're completely authentic and sincere....the great new hope for saving rock and roll...lol

Agreed. Honestly thats why I liked and then got upset with Kings Of Leon. When they came out I thought they were their own thing. Maybe not terribly unique, but it felt authentic. Then over the years they drastically changed their sound. They were still ok, but got progressively less rocky and now their debut sounds like nothing else in their catalogue. They made a sharp left turn, which was good for their career, but I couldn't tell if that was orchestrated, due to money, etc. Who knows, maybe the debut album was never really authentic and that was just done to get some attention. But I agree that Greta is fine, but everything these days does sound relatively manufactured. Its hard to find someone where you don't think there's a possible motive behind it. That could be cynicism but its just how I see it.

In terms of the future, I have a friend who works for Livenation and I just recently asked him what he thinks about that. Is the company afraid? Do they live on bands like Guns N Roses waiting to reunite and being a massive success? He said not really. He said each year they set their goals higher, and frequently hit the mark. I countered by saying aren't bills like Eagles/Fleetwood Mac/Steely Dan/Doobie Brothers/Earth Wind And Fire more harmful than helpful. Thats a ton of big name bands playing a huge place, how do you know if there's gonna be enough interest? Aren't you taking a big gamble? He said sometimes, but that often it works out more than I would think. He said they aren't as concerned with "reunions" as I would think. There will always be something. I guess in the end he's right. I said I guess it'll turn to pop acts since older rock acts will start dying out and I would think, even though they are old, those STILL bring in the most consistent money, but he just said the landscape has changed and while thats true to a point, there are a lot of factors and they have measures in place that the business isn't just gonna crumble overnight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-28 22:11 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 29, 2017 01:11

It's mostly the audience. The boomers have supported their bands for 50 years and overwhelmed new bands. Even today, the audience turns up to see 65-year-old men play their old songs. Classic rock stations dominate, pumping out Foreigner and Boston day and night. Lot of acts just withered on the vine or went underground.
Plus the kids from other generations never made rock and roll singers and guitarists into icons.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:11

Rock and Roll led a long, fruitful life. In 1956, no one thought it would last fifty years.

I don't think there's room anymore to do anything within the narrow guitar, drums, bass format that hasn't already been done. It's played out.

But it was fun while it lasted. We should appreciate it for that.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home