Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: Manchester Arena UK terror attack
Date: May 23, 2017 09:47

Sad news sad smiley

Glad you made it back, yorkshirestone.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 23, 2017 09:48

IORR EDITOR STATEMENT:

Posts including politics, religion or hate expressions will be deleted. This will also include quoting posts.

Bjornulf

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 23, 2017 09:56

bv
IORR EDITOR STATEMENT:

Posts including politics, religion or hate expressions will be deleted. This will also include quoting posts.

You might as well close this thread down right now then, it won't be long before your 'shutdown' criteria is met ! Why wait ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:01

DandelionPowderman
Sad news sad smiley

Glad you made it back, yorkshirestone.

Yeah hug your kids for us...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:12

paulywaul
bv
IORR EDITOR STATEMENT:

You might as well close this thread down right now then, it won't be long before your 'shutdown' criteria is met ! Why wait ?

Be thankful that you missed the slew of crap that bv has already deleted...the 'shutdown' criteria was met hours ago.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:13

What isn't politics, religion, opinion or speculation is that targeting an event attended primarily by young kids is taking this kind of depravity to whole new depths.

We can only send our best wishes to folks affected and their families.

Date: May 23, 2017 10:14

Personally I think media do make terrorists a big favour. Terror is based on fear. If the media did not write that extensive about terror then terrororists would not have any audience fore their sick actions. It is a much bigger chance of getting killed in a car accident going home from a concert than getting killed in terror. I have heard numbers saying it is by far more probable to be stroke by lightning than to get killed by terror.

This thread is here so that people may express their sympathy and feelings. We are unable to solve world problems here unfortunately, so please do not use this thread for hate or politics. There will be a fight and I will have to close the thread.

Also, I keep this thread open because we go to concerts, and because people may want to talk about fear. It is not dangerous to go to concerts. It is a lot more dangerous to stay at home. You may fall down the stairs or from a ladder. You may get a heart attack because you did not go to any concerts.

Bjornulf

Date: May 23, 2017 10:15

edit - double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 10:17 by Hairball.

Date: May 23, 2017 10:16

Spud
What isn't politics, religion, opinion or speculation is that targeting an event attended primarily by young kids is taking this kind of depravity to whole new depths.

We can only send our best wishes to folks affected and their families.

Agreed Spud - it's the lowest of lows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 10:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:21

You may get a heart attack because you did not go to any concerts.

.... Yes that one really does give me the shudders ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:23

Thoughts go out to people who lost loved ones there and those who got hurt.

Thanks BV for keeping this thread real.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:30

Terrible news and my sympathy for the families of the victims

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:30

Wise words from bv, in these hours of darkness.
My thoughts are with those who enjoyed a careless evening at the show, but ended up
in a state of frenzy.
But yeah, let's carry on living the life of love and light, despite those who want us
to change it into a life of hatred and darkness.
We will maintain!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 23, 2017 10:39

Our thoughts go to all those who suffer following this terrible terror attack.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 23, 2017 11:22

bv
Personally I think media do make terrorists a big favour. Terror is based on fear. If the media did not write that extensive about terror then terrororists would not have any audience fore their sick actions. It is a much bigger chance of getting killed in a car accident going home from a concert than getting killed in terror. I have heard numbers saying it is by far more probable to be stroke by lightning than to get killed by terror.

This thread is here so that people may express their sympathy and feelings. We are unable to solve world problems here unfortunately, so please do not use this thread for hate or politics. There will be a fight and I will have to close the thread.

Also, I keep this thread open because we go to concerts, and because people may want to talk about fear. It is not dangerous to go to concerts. It is a lot more dangerous to stay at home. You may fall down the stairs or from a ladder. You may get a heart attack because you did not go to any concerts.

I'm sure the British media is not unusual in knowing that bad news sells.

Date: May 23, 2017 11:40

Rockman
You may get a heart attack because you did not go to any concerts.

.... Yes that one really does give me the shudders ....

DRAT DRAT DRAT ... you beat me to that one Rocky !! Damn & blast n' all that stuff ...... !!

Date: May 23, 2017 11:44

Father Ted .... I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurv your signature !!

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to more threads about Mick Taylor rejoining the band" - G.Orwell

He was VERY clever was that Mr G.Orwell, I thought he only wrote Animal Farm n' 1984, but it seems he was a Stones fan as well !!?? grinning smiley

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: May 23, 2017 12:02

Thoughts with the victims, their families and friends. Desperately sad. As a gig goer with teenage kids who are also regular gig goers it really hits home. But we have to keep going - we can't let the perpetrators win their wicked game.

Like many on IORR I know Manchester well and the arena too. I was working in the city at the time of the IRA bomb in the 1990s and know that Mancunians are resilient people.

Finally, if you're feeling low, put Exile on loud. I did that in the car this morning. It does help.

Date: May 23, 2017 12:28

bv
If the media did not write that extensive about terror then terrororists would not have any audience fore their sick actions.

Yup I agree. Insane acts like this one and "constant blah-blah-blah" TV channels à la CNN go hand in hand. They're both nuisances who feed off each others.

I just lost a very dear one who was 71. It's extremely painful but I cannot even begin to imagine what it's like to lose a teen child.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 12:31 by dcba.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 23, 2017 12:47

bv

I actually don't know if this is true anymore after Île-de-France, Nice, Paris, Brussels, Orlando, Berlin, London, San Bernardino, Manchester.....

And yeah, terrorists have my attention when they blow up children with pink balloons and cats ears watching their favorite star. There's no media to blame for.

Mathijs

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: May 23, 2017 12:59

Thoughts and prayers for those involved.

sad smiley

Date: May 23, 2017 13:00

Imho the problem is the constant massive showing of footage from the event, atrend that started with 9/11.
Days after this attack searchers questioned very young children who explained that at least 100 towers had fallen that day. The kids had seen the three towers fall over and over again on TV, "courtesy" of CNN.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 23, 2017 13:06

Agree, Mathijs.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 23, 2017 13:16

paulywaul
Father Ted .... I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurv your signature !!

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to more threads about Mick Taylor rejoining the band" - G.Orwell

He was VERY clever was that Mr G.Orwell, I thought he only wrote Animal Farm n' 1984, but it seems he was a Stones fan as well !!?? grinning smiley

He was ahead of his time in so many ways!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 23, 2017 13:30

Sending prayers out to all those who are suffering in Manchester from this heinous act of terror.

Date: May 23, 2017 13:31

The press are "click prostitutes" these days. They are desperate for income so they display horror pictures and stories, and you find plenty of videos with screaming people in Manchester, and parents searching for their children. With all respect to the victims of terror, I would advice anyone with fear of terror to look into the numbers.

UK was troubled with terror for a long while in the epast, in the 70s and 80s due to IRA etc. I do still remember every time I went by the tube in London, if I placed my bag on the ground people freaked out and asked "who's bag is this"?

Terror is by far outnumbered by real dangers like being killed by a handgun, car, or simply bad health, smoking, drinking or other reasons that do not sell newspapers and clicks on Internet.

There are lots of facts for those who care about real numbers. While most terror happens in the Middle East and Africa - not interesting for European press as it seems - the total number people killed in terror, and the total number of terror attacks, in Europe, has been decreasing over the years. Just check the numbers.

More than one million people were killed in car accidents in the world last year.

In UK last year i.e. 2016 a total of 1,810 people got killed and 25,160 got seriosly injured in car accidents.

Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured [those figures exclude suicide]

I am not saying terror is ok. Terror is terrible. I am saying the press are working as news agents for the terrorists. The terrorists are criminal loosers and they do not deserve the attention they are given. The more the press write about terror, the more terror we will see. It is simply free advertising for terrorists.

[www.bbc.com]

[www.nrk.no]

The below graphs are showing total number of terror attacks, and total number of people killed by terror, over the years, in Western Europe.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 13:33 by bv.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 14:19

Very wise words indeed Bjornulf. Your own generally peaceful and law abiding country is obviously no stranger to this with the horrendous terrorist attrocity that we all remember and caused a massive spike in the 2011 figure.

Horrific as it is, it will not stop me from going to concerts. Life goes on and we cannot let these twisted evil losers win. Expect Security to be ramped up in the wake of this. Last year I saw Paul McCartney at Bercy, Paris and Rock Werchter in Belgium.

There were separate security queues for men and women in Paris where everyone was closely frisked and at the end of the show, everyone had to leave very quickly with the toilets and merch stands all closed.

At Werchter there were metal detectors and standard airline security.

I've recently turned 50 and grew up in the Norther Ireland troubles era here in the UK. One of my best friends, also soon 50 is a native and resident of Belfast a grew up with it on his doorstep. Even at the worst of times there was a collective will of the people there to get on with their lives and not to let the troubles limit them too much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 23:01 by bv.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 23, 2017 15:13

Bitusa2012 wrote:
"Blow their "hq" in Syria or Iran or Iraq or wherever it is to smithereens..(..)"

Come on mate, I've been to Iran about 11-12 times and if there's one place this scum ain't coming from it is good old Persia. Maybe one can change those 3 countries you mentioned to Tunisia, Maroccoo and Saudi? Thank You.

My thoughts goes to all the victims of this hideous crime. RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 15:15 by MadMax.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 15:20

This is just horribly, horribly sad news. I feel awful for all the victims' families. Thoughts and Prayers to all of them. If there was ever one place where we as humans should have been able to feel safe, secure, and find some sanctuary, it should have been at a concert - of any sort, regardless of our personal tastes. This is just beyond tragic. I'm only 41, but I'm disgusted for the world in which my kids are living. This is a far cry from the relatively peaceful times in which I grew up in the 80's and 90's.

Re: OT: Ariana Grande concert deaths
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 15:30

bitusa2012
MileHigh
I am shedding some tears. 19 killed, a probable suicide bomber.

Let's assume that this is traced back to the big bad guys in the Middle East. So many people on this board are old-school liberals, they have difficulty processing these things. If I was Trump I would secretly put the production of cruise missiles on a wartime footing, and reduce the cost from a million dollars per unit to $20,000 per unit. Then I would launch 2000 cruise missiles at the bad guys in one shot, or whatever is practically possible. Forget the Stone Age, go for scorched earth. It's not nice, but shooting up and blowing up innocent people at concerts is not nice either.

Regretfully, these idiots have sympathisers in, I would guess, almost every civilised country in the world. Blow their "hq" in Syria or Iran or Iraq or wherever it is to smithereens, and these sympathisers world wide would crawl out of the woodwork en masse and we'd literally have this everywhere, all at once. Solution is not as simplistic as your approach equates to, much as I'd like to agree...
Gee, ya think? This is NOT WWII. There will not be unconditional surrender on the deck of a battleship. Battling terrorism is primarily a law enforcement and intelligence gathering exercise.

You cannot invade and bomb your way out of this mess. Even the most reactionary, trigger-happy politicians in the West haven't resorted to indiscriminate carpet bombing because it would be counterproductive.

But hey, it's more fun to spout cliched, tough-guy bromides in a John Wayne/Clint Eastwood accent than deal with the extreme complexity of the issue.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home