Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Ariana Grande concert deaths
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 23, 2017 15:34

keefriff99
[
Gee, ya think? This is NOT WWII. There will not be unconditional surrender on the deck of a battleship. Battling terrorism is primarily a law enforcement and intelligence gathering exercise.

You cannot invade and bomb your way out of this mess. Even the most reactionary, trigger-happy politicians in the West haven't resorted to indiscriminate carpet bombing because it would be counterproductive.

But hey, it's more fun to spout cliched, tough-guy bromides in a John Wayne/Clint Eastwood accent than deal with the extreme complexity of the issue.

Words of wisdom & nuance, and right on the ball Keef.
Thoughts & prayers to all victims and their peers...

Re: OT: Manchester Arena UK terror attack
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 23, 2017 15:35

paulywaul
Father Ted .... I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurv your signature !!

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to more threads about Mick Taylor rejoining the band" - G.Orwell

He was VERY clever was that Mr G.Orwell, I thought he only wrote Animal Farm n' 1984, but it seems he was a Stones fan as well !!?? grinning smiley

Hahah, cheers Paulywaul! I guess George Orwell had some kind of psychic powers or something?!

Re: OT: Ariana Grande concert deaths
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 15:37

RoughJusticeOnYa
keefriff99
[
Gee, ya think? This is NOT WWII. There will not be unconditional surrender on the deck of a battleship. Battling terrorism is primarily a law enforcement and intelligence gathering exercise.

You cannot invade and bomb your way out of this mess. Even the most reactionary, trigger-happy politicians in the West haven't resorted to indiscriminate carpet bombing because it would be counterproductive.

But hey, it's more fun to spout cliched, tough-guy bromides in a John Wayne/Clint Eastwood accent than deal with the extreme complexity of the issue.

Words of wisdom & nuance, and right on the ball Keef.
Thoughts & prayers to all victims and their peers...
Absolutely, and make no mistake: if the leaders of ISIS were huddled in an isolated compound in the middle of the desert, I would be all for erasing them off the face of the planet in one massive bombing run, but it just doesn't work like that.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 23, 2017 15:39

It's an attack by radical Islamists.
And no, bombing the Middle East won't help, because the key is to counter the ideology. And, hint, it's already entrenched in Western society, so it will be difficult.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 23, 2017 15:44

Thanks for posting those terrorism statistics. At risk of getting shot down, I would suggest that the "terror threat" is grossly over-emphasised by British politicians for several reasons: 1) a fearful population is a more pliable population, 2) ever-increasing surveillance powers for police forces and intelligence agencies, 3) bigger budgets for military/intelligence CT operations (although in the UK, police budgets and officer numbers have been really cut in recent years, work that one out). So my cynical side says that having a terrorist threat is actually beneficial to for the government. Of course, very few politicians fundamentally disagree with the basic government policy towards terrorism and those that do are denounced as "unpatriotic" or "sympathisers" or "appeasers".

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: May 23, 2017 15:59

My thoughts for the families and victims of the attacks.
That there are kids involved takes this to a gut-wrenching level.
I take my kids to gigs; it's a wonderful place where different people of any race and creed can come together and forget about the world and enjoy music that affects us all the same.
I will carry on doing the same - the world needs more love and less divide and anger.
Be strong Manchester. We're thinking of you.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 16:06

An 8 year old girl confirmed amongst the dead. What kind of dreg of humanity sets out to blow up an 8 year old girl and what do they hope to achieve by doing so?

There are no words. Absolutely none.

My hearfelt sympathy to all affected and if this feeble excuse for a human being who did this has acomplices, I hope they are swiftly found and caught.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 23, 2017 16:06

I'm very sorry England.
I don't click beyond headlines until maybe there is legal info
As a person who has been on a plane/travelled 1x in the last, oh, 12 years
(and it was for RS)
the terror incidents for my personal safety aren't a fear factor/no fear energy
However,
living in the US and sending your children to school, where it is now
standard to have assigned police cars daily ('good' high school)
and receiving calls during finals there was a gun threat, but maybe bluff...etc.
The mental instability with fire arms.
God/highest divine love today to the families.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 23, 2017 16:16

wonderboy
the key is to counter the ideology.

And drain the money line. A line that goes straight to Saudi Arabia.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 23, 2017 16:24

Well said, Father Ted.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 23, 2017 16:53

bv
Personally I think media do make terrorists a big favour. Terror is based on fear. If the media did not write that extensive about terror then terrororists would not have any audience fore their sick actions. It is a much bigger chance of getting killed in a car accident going home from a concert than getting killed in terror. I have heard numbers saying it is by far more probable to be stroke by lightning than to get killed by terror.

This thread is here so that people may express their sympathy and feelings. We are unable to solve world problems here unfortunately, so please do not use this thread for hate or politics. There will be a fight and I will have to close the thread.

Also, I keep this thread open because we go to concerts, and because people may want to talk about fear. It is not dangerous to go to concerts. It is a lot more dangerous to stay at home. You may fall down the stairs or from a ladder. You may get a heart attack because you did not go to any concerts.

Not if you're 8 or 18.

Regarding statistics: one has to add the number of planned attacks that were stopped.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 16:58

MadMax
Bitusa2012 wrote:
"Blow their "hq" in Syria or Iran or Iraq or wherever it is to smithereens..(..)"

Come on mate, I've been to Iran about 11-12 times and if there's one place this scum ain't coming from it is good old Persia. Maybe one can change those 3 countries you mentioned to Tunisia, Maroccoo and Saudi? Thank You.

My thoughts goes to all the victims of this hideous crime. RIP

..."OR WHEREVER"....

Rod

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 23, 2017 17:00

Actually, what really "helps the terrorists" is not the subsequent news feeds of publicity, but the after effects of the militarized security state that is put in place.

As a result, at the venue in Boston where I saw the Stones in 2013, an arena, security there gets to be more of a nuisance.

Ten years ago, all you had to do was open your coat and someone would glance and let you pass. In 2016, for a Who concert, suddenly there were these metal detecting walk-through set-ups, where you had to empty your pockets and pass your items through a scanner, like you were entering a court house. After that you got scanned with a metal detector and you had to put your hands above your head, and some militarized police guy would be there to bark at each patron passing through, "Hands above your head!", like you were a criminal being placed under arrest.

Even this month in Boston at a theater gig to see the Zombies, you would expect to just walk in, but no, you got the electronic wand treatment -- for a 1,200 seating capacity theater, to see a group of 70-year-olds perform.

Thanks to the Corporation style government policies, we no longer live as free people -- we have a militarized security police state, and they are still blowing things up regardless.

In this way, "the terrorists win" -- because we let them.

Date: May 23, 2017 17:28

stonehearted
Actually, what really "helps the terrorists" is not the subsequent news feeds of publicity, but the after effects of the militarized security state that is put in place.

As a result, at the venue in Boston where I saw the Stones in 2013, an arena, security there gets to be more of a nuisance.

Ten years ago, all you had to do was open your coat and someone would glance and let you pass. In 2016, for a Who concert, suddenly there were these metal detecting walk-through set-ups, where you had to empty your pockets and pass your items through a scanner, like you were entering a court house. After that you got scanned with a metal detector and you had to put your hands above your head, and some militarized police guy would be there to bark at each patron passing through, "Hands above your head!", like you were a criminal being placed under arrest.

Even this month in Boston at a theater gig to see the Zombies, you would expect to just walk in, but no, you got the electronic wand treatment -- for a 1,200 seating capacity theater, to see a group of 70-year-olds perform.

Thanks to the Corporation style government policies, we no longer live as free people -- we have a militarized security police state, and they are still blowing things up regardless.

I agree with you mostly, but I was just at Gillette Stadium on Friday night to see Metallica, and the security wasn't intrusive. I emptied my pockets into a little tray and walked through a metal detector.

Took maybe an additional 30-40 seconds. Yes, it does feel like we've been conditioned to living in a police state, but in that particular example, I thought it was worthwhile.

You would think that sporting events and concerts would be a high-profile target, but nothing of the sort has happened in America. I don't think it's an accident.

Would you honestly feel safe walking into a 60,000-seat stadium in a major metropolitan area with NO security checks at all?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 23, 2017 17:43

keefriff99
stonehearted

I agree with you mostly, but I was just at Gillette Stadium on Friday night to see Metallica, and the security wasn't intrusive. I emptied my pockets into a little tray and walked through a metal detector.

Took maybe an additional 30-40 seconds. Yes, it does feel like we've been conditioned to living in a police state, but in that particular example, I thought it was worthwhile.

You would think that sporting events and concerts would be a high-profile target, but nothing of the sort has happened in America. I don't think it's an accident.

Would you honestly feel safe walking into a 60,000-seat stadium in a major metropolitan area with NO security checks at all?
Thanks for proving my point.

The "terrorism" situation is half the problem, and people like you, sir, are the other half of the problem.

Hope you enjoy the TSA/airport style check-in to come at your next concert venue, along with the proctology exam. I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile, exchanging freedom so you can feel "safe" instead.

Date: May 23, 2017 17:47

stonehearted
keefriff99
stonehearted

Thanks for proving my point.

The "terrorism" situation is half the problem, and people like you, sir, are the other half of the problem.

Hope you enjoy the TSA/airport style check-in to come at your next concert venue, along with the proctology exam. I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile, exchanging freedom so you can feel "safe" instead.
Nice to know you think I'm as equally guilty as the terrorists.

What a @#$%& prick you are. This conversation is over.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 18:08

i dont understand terrorists.

if they have a firm belief that they have been wronged, why dont they take their actions out against those that have wronged them, ie government, military,police etc.

no these cowards target wee innocent lassies who have done no one any harm.

terribly sad day, no one can ever really be safe these days.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: May 23, 2017 18:16

the terrorists cant change anything! we will keep going to concerts, have fun, drink a beer, smoke a joint smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 23, 2017 18:24

My condolences to those who died and my prayers to those who were injured.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 23, 2017 18:29

Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send
Ten dollars to the church of the Sacred Bleeding Heart Of Jesus
Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California
And next week they'd say my prayer on the radio

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2017 19:14

MononoM
the terrorists cant change anything! we will keep going to concerts, have fun, drink a beer, smoke a joint smiling smiley

:.....smiling bouncing smiley.......drinking smiley.........smoking smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 23, 2017 19:53

buttons67

if they have a firm belief that they have been wronged, why dont they take their actions out against those that have wronged them, ie government, military,police etc.

terribly sad day, no one can ever really be safe these days

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 19:59 by Nate.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 23, 2017 20:00

buttons67

terribly sad day, no one can ever really be safe these days.

People that believe in Wahhabism see all non believers as valid targets.

Nate

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 20:10

All the BS we go through at airports is mostly "security theater" to make us feel safer although it's not really doing much.

[www.washingtonexaminer.com]

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 23, 2017 20:15

Prayers for those in Manchester. Especially any relatives of IORR board members whom may have been there

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 23, 2017 20:31

You have heard about the "Dark Internet"? By the same token there are attempted terrorist attacks thwarted by the security forces that never make the news because we don't need to hear it. Who knows, there may be 10, 20, or 30 attempted terrorist attacks on the same scale of what happened in Manchester that are prevented for every successful attack. So it would be very unwise to be dismissive of the threat and pretend it's some kind of conspiracy to make us afraid and reinforce the surveillance state and boost the military-industrial complex. You are scanned through a metal detector before you go to a concert because we have to do something. Doing nothing would be a fool's course of action. If we could prevent all lighting strikes we would. But many seem to be forgetting that all tall buildings have lightning rods on them to protect us from those very same lighting strikes. Use your rational mind and trust your instincts.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 23, 2017 20:48

I've spent the last 2 weeks in London and Rome - not my first time in either. Several people thought this was a high risk trip. I admit I am not happy to see so many soldiers in both cities with semi-automatic weapons, but it's understandable. I love the Brits - who have lived through the crossfire hurricane and Carry On. I hate the pants-wetting over-reactions elsewhere. Bless those who work to keep us safer. Damn those who make it necessary. Deepest sympathy to all affected.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 23, 2017 20:55

I wonder if there be different security checks at the venues on this tour. In 2014 most of the ckecks I saw were quite unprofessional - too many people didn't really know what to do when the doors were opened. The best organized check which I saw in 2014 was in Landgraaf and it worked very well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 21:13 by MAF.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 23, 2017 21:03

yorkshirestone, I'm so grateful you left a little early with the kids! What a beautiful thing.

On the other side, all my sympathies to everyone connected to those who did not make it out, or who were injured in the blast.

Bjornulf, thank you for keeping this thread open. Just this morning, someone asked me if I had rethought going to any of the upcoming RS shows. I said, it gave me pause, but no.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 23, 2017 21:44

grzegorz67
An 8 year old girl confirmed amongst the dead. What kind of dreg of humanity sets out to blow up an 8 year old girl and what do they hope to achieve by doing so?

FEAR, HATE and a place in heaven....at least that's what they think.

There are no words. Absolutely none.

My hearfelt sympathy to all affected and if this feeble excuse for a human being who did this has acomplices, I hope they are swiftly found and caught.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home