Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: RIP, Chris Cornell
Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 19, 2017 00:33

you are certainly an expert on this

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2017 00:40

potus43
you are certainly an expert on this

Hate to say lol in a RIP thread, but lol..
And I'm not even on my A game as I'm on pain relievers for a toothache!!! winking smiley

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: May 19, 2017 01:06

I'm still in shock... I just watched youtube videos from their Detroit concert last night - Surreal

And be yourself is all that you can do
To be yourself is all that you can do

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 19, 2017 01:53

I saw Soundgarden at the 2014 Bridge School benefit. I was there to see Tom Jones. They didn't leave much of an impression on a non-fan, but their fans were very happy, and that's what counts. A lot of guys in plaid flannel shirts, on a warm day, to see Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, and Pearl Jam. Seattle grunge still counts for a lot of people.

Re: OT: RIP, Chris Cornell!
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 19, 2017 03:14

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Hairball
BowieStone
I loathe grunge, but Chris Cornell was a great singer.

Have to say, he and Soundgarden went quite a bit beyond the typical 'grunge' sound - lots of metal and hard rock intertwined with the grunge elements which they pioneered.
They were a really great band back in the heyday, not everyones cup of tea though....
There's no GRUNGE sound though. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were basically heavy metal. Nirvana was rock'n'roll and punk, and Pearl Jam was pretty much straight-up rock'n'roll.

Grunge was simply a media term. That, and the fact that they wore street clothes onstage and didn't try to look outrageous or larger than life.

That's really all the grunge scene was. That's why I don't understand why it gets so much hate. Would people really rather have had Poison and Warrant continue to dominate the hard rock scene?

There are grunge chords and tunings that those bands pioneered.

No metal guitarist wanted to play like Kim Thajil (spelling). However, his tunings and style certainly attracted rock guitarists.

Even Keith flirted with the grunge sound on the 999-riff.
That's interesting. I'm not a musician, but to me, Soundgarden and AIC had a lot in common with Black Sabbath. Heavy, doomy riffs...maybe Thayil was more pioneering in his use of chords (which I've read), but the overall feel was more like '70s era Iommi.

I just think that whole '90s scene was a media creation. It was just a lot of great bands stripping down their production and image and flushing out a lot of garbage in the process.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 19, 2017 04:10

It is terrible to see the media exposing his death....

"Cornell hang himself".... "Cornell committed suicide"... etc.

Now, the media is probably searching for pictures or videos of Cornell lying on the floor with a rope around his neck. How cruel can the media be!!!!

Just amazing - in the name of sensationalism.... they want to do everything to picture his death so they can sell as much as possible no matter how the family feels about the death.

Afterwards, they will defend themselves saying - well, he was a public person.

Date: May 19, 2017 04:10

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Hairball
BowieStone

Have to say, he and Soundgarden went quite a bit beyond the typical 'grunge' sound - lots of metal and hard rock intertwined with the grunge elements which they pioneered.
They were a really great band back in the heyday, not everyones cup of tea though....
There's no GRUNGE sound though. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were basically heavy metal. Nirvana was rock'n'roll and punk, and Pearl Jam was pretty much straight-up rock'n'roll.

Grunge was simply a media term. That, and the fact that they wore street clothes onstage and didn't try to look outrageous or larger than life.

That's really all the grunge scene was. That's why I don't understand why it gets so much hate. Would people really rather have had Poison and Warrant continue to dominate the hard rock scene?

No metal guitarist wanted to play like Kim Thajil (spelling). However, his tunings and style certainly attracted rock guitarists.

That's interesting. I'm not a musician, but to me, Soundgarden and AIC had a lot in common with Black Sabbath. Heavy, doomy riffs...maybe Thayil was more pioneering in his use of chords (which I've read), but the overall feel was more like '70s era Iommi.

I just think that whole '90s scene was a media creation. It was just a lot of great bands stripping down their production and image and flushing out a lot of garbage in the process.

That I would agree with, and as far as the 'grunge' sound, if you noticed I originally put it in quotation inferring there really is no absolute distinct sound - at least that's what I intended.

As for some of the grunge bands having something to do with Sabbath, maybe to a point, but the difference might be there was less of an emphasis on extended solos (sometimes), and the grunge veered away from a traditional classic rock/metal structure and towards more 'oddball' rhythms and chords. They grunge lyrics also seemed to focus more on the gloomy side of being a human, while classic metal incorporated themes of all kinds. Kind of hard to differentiate I suppose, but to me some of the grunge bands lacked something that the classic metal band pioneered. Maybe they stripped down some of those classic elements too much, or maybe the songs they were coming up with just weren't as great? Or maybe it's a bias on my part, preferring the earlier bands that I grew up with as a teen (Sabbath, etc.) over the newcomers on the block - some of which came off as insincere and wannabe's. At any rate, glad they came and wiped the slate clean of all the lame hair metal crap that was dominating hard rock at the time. But more so than any of these grunge bands, I leaned towards some of the bands coming out of England at that time - Charlatans (UK), Blur, Supergrass, The Verve, Stones Roses, Primal Scream..not really 'heavy' by any means (some of it could be), but more catchier than grunge while at the same time way more pure and simplified than the overblown hair metal crap - actually about as far away from that as possible while still being rock bands. And there were some lighthearted as well as uplifting tunes from those bands as well, which was refreshing when getting bombarded with the gloom of grunge.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 19, 2017 05:03

kovach
Just saw him in Memphis 10 days ago, here's a few videos I took:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for sharing your vids. I Watched as much as I could of Spoonman, but too sad. But I noticed he seemed to be slurring, slightly behind the beat, and not super sharp. Did you notice that--or how did you come away from the concert, at the time, re: his performance? Glad you got to see him so recently.

A few weeks ago I was happy to see him on CBS Sunday Morning. Here's a clip from that:
[www.youtube.com]
video: [www.youtube.com]
He was in great voice, his playing way nice, and he was as appealing/hot/sexy as ever -- digging his music, being about the same age, and always finding him gorgeous, I was especially happy to witness all that smiling smiley

Sorry to see him go.

mtaylor

Now, the media is probably searching for pictures or videos of Cornell lying on the floor with a rope around his neck. How cruel can the media be!!!!

Just amazing - in the name of sensationalism.... they want to do everything to picture his death so they can sell as much as possible no matter how the family feels about the death.

To me, it's relevant, even important, to know how he died. If it was autoerotic asphyxiation, or suicide (or--and I know it was NOT any of these--intentional overdose, accidental overdose, cancer, falling down stairs, etc.). Some say Robin Williams was autoerotic asphyxiation but that his "people" and wife don't want that reality tarnishing his image.

Chris Cornell was found with a "band" around his neck. What does that even mean? His wife called "a family friend" to go to his hotel room to check on him. Why? Where was he at before he embarked on tour? What was going on, on tour? It's important to understand suicide so we can make meaningful interventions for people we love and care about--and if some of these guys are dying from autoerotic asphyxiation that's a different "game" altogether, but also important for people to know how widespread it is--and how what a dangerous Russian Roulete thrill vs. kill it is.

The impetus for someone, who just finished a show, saying he thought it was good and how much he loved the audience, that the audience would be very hard to live up to in his next show--then going and committing suicide is very different from then going and doing autoerotic asphxiation. No judgment either way, but it's about letting reality be known, vs. whatever cleansed narrative.

Perhaps the tone of the media seems disrespectful - although I haven't perceived that yet.

Marc Spitz, one of my very favorite rock writers also died this year (February), and it still is being kept under wraps don'how he died. I don't have prurient interest--but I do care. I want to know what the hell happened to him. Chris Cornell too.

Finally, when someone's sudden death is not handled in a manner that is forthcoming and transparent that in itself casts a shadow over someone's life/legacy/death. For example, it's still not 100% clear what happened to Amy Winehouse--it took almost 9 months before an official cause of death was announced, and even then it was not 100% clear what happened--that "discretion" in handling her death seems to have just made her an unpleasant subject--how often do you hear her on the radio anymore? Not to mention, would we be better off knowing even less what happened to, say, Brian Jones?

- swiss

Date: May 19, 2017 05:38

umakmehrd
I'm still in shock... I just watched youtube videos from their Detroit concert last night - Surreal

And be yourself is all that you can do
To be yourself is all that you can do

Yes very surreal...knowing now what's going on his head...to think that less than 24 hours ago he was giving it all he's got...sad...

Watch Videos From Chris Cornell’s Final Soundgarden Show

Date: May 19, 2017 06:31

Hairball
During that so-called grunge era, I always thought he and Soundgarden were the real deal and stood at the top of all the other bands. Alice in Chains were also up there, as well as Nirvana.
When listening to those bands, it becomes clear where bands like Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam got most of their ideas, and a majority of their sound from.

Still a bit shocked - only 52...and now learning it might have been suicide...damn ...

RIP.

that line about pearl jam makes no sense. you know they worked with chris before forming pearl jam right. they also stayed with a sound similar to mother love bone

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 19, 2017 06:37

Hairball
Yes very surreal...knowing now what's going on his head... [/url]

It's powerful to see him so incredibly stoked, vibrant, alive, focus, funny, and passionately playing and sing knowing he'd be dead in 3 hours.

That said, we have zero idea what was going on in his head.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 19, 2017 07:01

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
During that so-called grunge era, I always thought he and Soundgarden were the real deal and stood at the top of all the other bands. Alice in Chains were also up there, as well as Nirvana.
When listening to those bands, it becomes clear where bands like Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam got most of their ideas, and a majority of their sound from.

Still a bit shocked - only 52...and now learning it might have been suicide...damn ...

RIP.

that line about pearl jam makes no sense. you know they worked with chris before forming pearl jam right. they also stayed with a sound similar to mother love bone
True. Pearl Jam were right there at the time...they weren't influenced by Soundgarden or AIC. They were peers.

Date: May 19, 2017 07:37

swiss
Hairball
Yes very surreal...knowing now what's going on his head... [/url]

It's powerful to see him so incredibly stoked, vibrant, alive, focus, funny, and passionately playing and sing knowing he'd be dead in 3 hours.

That said, we have zero idea what was going on in his head.

True...I should have said 'wondering' whats going on in his head.

Date: May 19, 2017 07:38

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
Hairball

RIP.

True. Pearl Jam were right there at the time...they weren't influenced by Soundgarden or AIC. They were peers.

Yes perhaps all true - I stand corrected. Pearl Jam were my least favorite out of all the Seattle bands.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 19, 2017 10:25

Great Billie Jean cover, what a voice !
[www.youtube.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: May 19, 2017 10:31

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Hairball
BowieStone

Listen to the guitars on this one. That's the grunge sound,or more precisely, what became the sound. At first, as so often with new musical waves, there was a hype – then the sound established itself.

However, there is no doubt they drew influences from metal, like you say.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 10:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 19, 2017 10:39

Shocked to read of Chris Cornell's death at 52.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 19, 2017 11:06

Hairball
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Hairball
BowieStone

That I would agree with, and as far as the 'grunge' sound, if you noticed I originally put it in quotation inferring there really is no absolute distinct sound - at least that's what I intended.

As for some of the grunge bands having something to do with Sabbath, maybe to a point, but the difference might be there was less of an emphasis on extended solos (sometimes), and the grunge veered away from a traditional classic rock/metal structure and towards more 'oddball' rhythms and chords. They grunge lyrics also seemed to focus more on the gloomy side of being a human, while classic metal incorporated themes of all kinds. Kind of hard to differentiate I suppose, but to me some of the grunge bands lacked something that the classic metal band pioneered. Maybe they stripped down some of those classic elements too much, or maybe the songs they were coming up with just weren't as great? Or maybe it's a bias on my part, preferring the earlier bands that I grew up with as a teen (Sabbath, etc.) over the newcomers on the block - some of which came off as insincere and wannabe's. At any rate, glad they came and wiped the slate clean of all the lame hair metal crap that was dominating hard rock at the time. But more so than any of these grunge bands, I leaned towards some of the bands coming out of England at that time - Charlatans (UK), Blur, Supergrass, The Verve, Stones Roses, Primal Scream..not really 'heavy' by any means (some of it could be), but more catchier than grunge while at the same time way more pure and simplified than the overblown hair metal crap - actually about as far away from that as possible while still being rock bands. And there were some lighthearted as well as uplifting tunes from those bands as well, which was refreshing when getting bombarded with the gloom of grunge.

I live in Seattle & grew up same time as all these guys. I'm 3 years older than Chris was. Yes, Black Sabbath was a big factor but the biggest factor as far as what was on the radio & was booming out of car stereos was Led Zeppelin. Local stations used to do Zep A to Z quite often. I'm still in shock over this. I was in the local music biz for 25 years & was at ground zero for the Seattle scene. I knew Chris a tiny bit back in the day. The other guys in Soundgarden were a bit more accessable. Before he left Seattle after his divorce he lived about a mile away from me. Still trying to process all this. The "grunge" years were the glory years for me in a lot of ways. Really really bummed out right now.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 19, 2017 11:06

keefriff99
Hairball
BowieStone

I do not know how old you are, but to me grunge is a very much real sound and movement. In the late 80's and early 90's it was something absolutely new. Whereas most (hard) rock bands of the 80's delved back on either Van Halen or Stones/Faces type rock, the grunge bands took their inspiration much more from Led Zep and Black Sabbath type of bands. Also, most of the Grunge bands had really accomplished players, really good guitarists and drummers. And the attitude was different: instead of wanting to achieve this larger than life Rock god persona most 80's bands had (including GnR), grunge much more dealt with the humanity of live, with the difficult side of live. It is not very strange Cobain and Cornell committed suicide, and Staley Andrew Wood committed long term suicide.

Chris Cornell really was the backdrop of my college years. I met him once briefly ten years ago, and my impression was that of a very nervous, unhappy guy with unfriendly rock star behavior.

Mathijs

Date: May 19, 2017 12:11

Mathijs
keefriff99
Hairball
BowieStone

I do not know how old you are, but to me grunge is a very much real sound and movement. In the late 80's and early 90's it was something absolutely new. Whereas most (hard) rock bands of the 80's delved back on either Van Halen or Stones/Faces type rock, the grunge bands took their inspiration much more from Led Zep and Black Sabbath type of bands. Also, most of the Grunge bands had really accomplished players, really good guitarists and drummers. And the attitude was different: instead of wanting to achieve this larger than life Rock god persona most 80's bands had (including GnR), grunge much more dealt with the humanity of live, with the difficult side of live. It is not very strange Cobain and Cornell committed suicide, and Staley Andrew Wood committed long term suicide.

Chris Cornell really was the backdrop of my college years. I met him once briefly ten years ago, and my impression was that of a very nervous, unhappy guy with unfriendly rock star behavior.

Mathijs

grunge isn't a sound because all of the bands sound different. put on "come as you are" and then "beyond the wheel" and then "man in the box" and then "daughter" and ask a young kid to describe the actual sound. all 4 songs are drastically different from the others. a I was in high school when this stuff was huge. its a made up term given to any band that was wearing flannel at the time. most of the guys in pearl jam and alice in chains started out in glam rock bands anyways. finally to knock the playing of the 80's rock bands is silly as most of them also had at least 2 really good musicians in the band.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 19, 2017 14:53

As Swiss posted, I think it's important to know what happened, without being salacious and cruel about it.
For example, my assumption is that he died from his addiction disease. I've read he was in drug rehab years ago, and I suspect he had a relapse of some kind. Sometimes that can spur suicidal thoughts. If that's the case it's important to know so that people get the message that recovery is a lifetime process.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 19, 2017 15:40

mtaylor

Media publish what people search. In the era of internet it's very easy to find out what people want, just check google trends. So it's not media who are cruel, but regular internet users, people like you and me.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 19, 2017 17:26

powerage78
Great Billie Jean cover, what a voice !
[www.youtube.com]

Really? As much as i love Chris Cornells' voice, I think he does a horrible job on Billie Jean - I can't get through it.

Date: May 19, 2017 17:32

crholmstrom
Hairball
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Hairball
BowieStone

I live in Seattle & grew up same time as all these guys. I'm 3 years older than Chris was. Yes, Black Sabbath was a big factor but the biggest factor as far as what was on the radio & was booming out of car stereos was Led Zeppelin. Local stations used to do Zep A to Z quite often. I'm still in shock over this. I was in the local music biz for 25 years & was at ground zero for the Seattle scene. I knew Chris a tiny bit back in the day. The other guys in Soundgarden were a bit more accessable. Before he left Seattle after his divorce he lived about a mile away from me. Still trying to process all this. The "grunge" years were the glory years for me in a lot of ways. Really really bummed out right now.

Yes it's all weird, and understand why you're bummed considering all the reasons you mentioned. I think everyone who liked them in any way (and maybe even those who didn't) are still bewildered by all of this - very sad. I'm two years older than he was, and remember clearly the impact they were making when they started to become more prominent outside of their stomping grounds. I remember the Zeppelin comparisons as well as Black Sabbath, et al., and as far as Zep it's safe say to most rock stations were still booming them out more prominently than any of the other bands of their ilk. I know personally I was still listening to them more than any others as they were always #1 for me as far as British hard rock is concerned. As for the movement of Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana, etc. that became known as grunge, while it wasn't totally a breath of fresh air given their derivativeness of those that came before, it was a welcome kick in the teeth (for lack of a better term) considering the hair metal and poppish new wave that was prominent at the time. I was very happy to hear something new that had some balls to it, and delved right in for a little while. I never really related to the image they were portraying - it seemed geared to younger people. Though I've always worn flannel shirts (still do), wore Doc Martins for awhile (influenced by punk and Pete Townshend), and smoked weed (still do occasionally), I never did heroin nor have I ever been depressed. I eventually became turned off by all the melancholic themes and depressing lyrics, and with bands like Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam rising to the top it was time to retreat. When it became an 'official' term and became popular amongst the masses, I was already long gone and over it seeking something completely new and different. Still confused as to what the heck just happened though...RIP.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2017 17:33

soundgarden playing everywhere today .......

ROCKMAN

Date: May 19, 2017 17:44

I heard this song for the first time last night on youtube - taken from their recent reunion album (2012) and have say it's a kickass song. When the song kicks in after the intro, The Jimmy page-esque guitar driven riff, the Robert Plant style wailing vocals (without the high squeals), the stomping Zeppish rhythm section, and a bit of Sabbath in general are obvious to me, yet it still sounds like Soundgarden when they were at their best. Taking something that came before them, and turning it into something of their own.

Soundgarden - By Crooked Steps

Date: May 19, 2017 18:05

wonderboy
As Swiss posted, I think it's important to know what happened, without being salacious and cruel about it.
For example, my assumption is that he died from his addiction disease. I've read he was in drug rehab years ago, and I suspect he had a relapse of some kind. Sometimes that can spur suicidal thoughts. If that's the case it's important to know so that people get the message that recovery is a lifetime process.

Lengthy tribute/article in the Sun here >Chris Cornell< with this part of the article focusing on his lifelong battle with drugs:

CHRIS Cornell spoke candidly about his battle with a addiction.

The grunge icon was plagued by narcotics and alcohol issues his entire life and once described himself as a "pioneer" of prescription drug taking.
It once resulted in a two-month stay in rehab before his first studio album with Audioslave was released in 2002.
In a revealing talk with Rolling Stone he admitted becoming a "daily drug user" at the age of just 13.
But his addictions were largely defeated by the time he settled down with second wife Vicky Karayiannis in 2005, with whom he has two children. He has one daughter with first wife Susan Silver.
Two years after his second marriage he told how he finally kicked his habits for good.
Speaking to Rock N Roll Experience in 2007, Cornell said: "It was a long period of coming to the realisation that [being sober] is better.
"Going through rehab, honestly, did help... it got me away from just the daily drudgery of depression and either trying to not drink or do drugs or doing them.
"They give you such a simple message that any idiot can get and it's just over and over.
"But the bottom line is really, and this is the part that is scary for everyone, the individual kinda has to want it.
"Not kinda, you have to want it and to not do that crap anymore or you will never stop and it will just kill you."

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 20, 2017 03:04

keefriffhard4life

grunge isn't a sound because all of the bands sound different. put on "come as you are" and then "beyond the wheel" and then "man in the box" and then "daughter" and ask a young kid to describe the actual sound. all 4 songs are drastically different from the others. a I was in high school when this stuff was huge. its a made up term given to any band that was wearing flannel at the time. most of the guys in pearl jam and alice in chains started out in glam rock bands anyways. finally to knock the playing of the 80's rock bands is silly as most of them also had at least 2 really good musicians in the band.

So was it the grunge bands that started playing the bass guitar hanging low around the thighs rather than the traditional way up around the waistline?

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: May 20, 2017 03:31

What? Spoonman is NOT about a cocaine dealer???

Date: May 20, 2017 03:36

The Sicilian
keefriffhard4life

So was it the grunge bands that started playing the bass guitar hanging low around the thighs rather than the traditional way up around the waistline?

no actually nikki sixx was playing the way in the 80's. i think some punk guys in the 70's started that

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home