Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones soundtrack to be released on cd in June
Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: July 1, 2017 19:46

And while I'm at it: Altamont, both London shows, all shows from Madison, and Hyde Park, all 1969, would be welcomegrinning smiley

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones soundtrack to be released on cd in June
Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 2, 2017 00:21

S.T.P
And while I'm at it: Altamont, both London shows, all shows from Madison, and Hyde Park, all 1969, would be welcomegrinning smiley

I doubt the band will release Altamont while they are alive. I think they view it as an unsuccessful and disastrous idea.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 2, 2017 00:51

georgelicks
Top 200 Album Sales US: Week Ending June 22, 2017

TW|Artist|Title|Album sales|Retail sales|Independent sales|Mass merchant sales|Non traditional sales
169 The Rolling Stones - Ladies & Gentlemen 1,893 34 559 0 1,300

This is the sales chart, not the Billboard 200 which includes streams.

Not much people interested on the last bunch of live sets, less than 2,000 copies sold...

When The Basement Tapes were released Dylan commented: "I thought everyone already had it." I get the same sensation here. How many people on this board already had this movie soundtrack? And, yes, Ross, I am quibbling. The movie is a terrific watch and listen. DF and LIV alone make it worth it. The movie is a keeper on our DVR.

Date: July 2, 2017 01:44

boogaloojef
S.T.P

I doubt the band will release Altamont while they are alive. I think they view it as an unsuccessful and disastrous idea.

I doubt it too! Unsuccessful or not, like the Ladies And Gentlemen release, it's not a big thing. One must be a historian to remember the greatnes of this new release. Most people don't care. When the Stones are finished, the tongue would probably survive the music. Noone thinks that there are anyting outside the old official releases. People who loves official released bootlegs maybe buy Bowie or Dyland. The big marked don't take the band seriously enough. It's mostly image. That's the lesson from the past 45 years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 10:49 by S.T.P.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 2, 2017 15:47

S.T.P
boogaloojef
S.T.P

I doubt it too! Unsuccessful or not, like the Ladies And Gentlemen release, it's not a big thing. One must be a historian to remember the greatnes of this new release. Most people don't care. When the Stones are finished, the tongue would probably survive the music. Noone thinks that there are anyting outside the old official releases. People who loves official released bootlegs maybe buy Bowie or Dyland. The big marked don't take the band seriously enough. It's mostly image. That's the lesson from the past 45 years.

Some strange thoughts here, but that's good. Good we are individuals:-)

Date: July 2, 2017 16:01

bobo
Some strange thoughts here, but that's good. Good we are individuals:-)

Well, I guess I can't argue that. I'm only trying to say that we should be greatful for what we get!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 18:59 by S.T.P.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 3, 2017 06:38

S.T.P
boogaloojef
S.T.P

Who cares what 'the big market' cares about. They are always late to the party. Always. You don't have to be a historian to enjoy Mozart or Louis Armstrong or Reverend Gary Davis. That would make me less hip than I'd be if I was way into Katy Perry, because that's what the big market certainly cares about. Moving units. This. Is. It. It NEVER got better than this; at it's best it approached and tried to replicate it; using, of course, much the same material and actual set. IF it did get 'better,' we'd have to thrust ourselves waaaay into the next year for Euro '73. I was there in '75 and '89 too. I'm not gonna get drawn into a ron vs mick t thing because it's unfair to both of them and irreleveant to reality of their changes, but just to say, it is not Ron's fault that the band went hairwire and fell virtually apart. In fact he did all he could to run the thin line between both of them and survive.
this is it. YOUNG fans DO know. They do if given half a chance.
Many many years ago when that shit Doors movie came out and Oliver Stone really lost his way bigtime, many 'younger' people were getting their first performance 'footage' of Jim and The Doors thru Val Kilmer, an otherwise excellent actor during that period; and it was a cartoon; a bad cartoon.

These 'kids' were my friends but my kids friends too; and mucm more their age. We played them Hollywood Bowl and they got it immediately. THEY saw the difference right away. Snap. Off the bat. They saw his humor and 'put-on' and his closeness, and intimacy with the L.A. fans. I think he even purposely burped into the microphone and everyone had a laugh; I mean it wasn't all that magic ghost-Indian heavy, tho it was heavy enough, the edge of chaos Jim adventured int...
...just to hopefully not confuse things further; but...man, this is it. When did they have a better tour with better material and better personnel.

Or more 'appropriate' personnel, considering that amidst the four side-men, three or four of them were absolute unique genius' at what they did. And ALL of them had cut the golden period right along with the band, closer than close.

So that's why it's a big deal even if no one much buys it this go around. Or ever frankly. "Death Don't Have No Mercy" was never a big hit. But it's more than biblical in it's truth, hard reality and unimaginable levels of soulful beauty. Like I'm gonna give much of a cukk who thinks what or buys what or listens to what. I know what's excellent, exiciting, and important to me personally beyond any critic or popularity contest, or sales chart. I still listen to doo wop if it's the right cut and group. There are two dozen black doo wop bands that are pristinely excellent, innovative and original before much of this bled into white r&b lovin' young artists...
...there is a world of magical beautiful soulful music. And not necessarily just 'signed' and promoted acts in todays pop market. Again, who really cares? NOt the pop kids into Ariana Grande or even Meghan Trainor, who I like more than Gaga or any of them, that smart little courage cutie...

If you will not consider this arrogant, and I hope not, because I was just one kid buying one record at a time, but, sssshhh, The Stones were a cult act not selling as much as others. A LOT of bands had a hit single or two and were getting enough sales to keep working but not really anything groundbreaking or astounding...a LOT of bands. There were kids from 10 years old, and grownups from 18 up to 30 who were into The Stones. THESE people led the market; they people created the demand and set the scene. And also welcomed them into their cities as well as homes by buying records. If I was to look at the sales and marketing angle chiefly; I'd have had to throw out dozens of the best most seminal and important albums ANYONE has ever had the chance to buy; and hugely and largely, they were not big commercial smashes consistently or for long, if at all. Care not.

I do not remember one person from back in the day who particularly cared to track their sales numbers for example. But have fun.
If rock and roll is 'art,' it is outsider art at core; the way it mashed up it's antecedents, maneuverd and combined them, was not in any rule-book or executive strategy manual. Amidst my tippy top uber favorites of all time from the rock and roll era, there is Van and Kinks who were not getting Number 1 albums one after another, and made the most important pieces of functional art that have been durable over half a century and I lean on it hard. Clarence White era Byrds were not exploding the sales charts. Go ahead and beat some of that stuff!!
for example.

Honestly, when The Who finally mega-exploded internationally and hugely with Tommy, the news was everywhere all the time. The big heavy magazines wanted to interview them about the psychological ramifications of the characters and so on...they became huge, huge international stars,,,and my little clique of high-school friends and college drop-outs. who had My Generation, A Quick One/happy jack and Magic Bus and The Who Sell Out, were almost feeling a bit of possesion or something. Like this is OUR group. Almost like we kinda helped them when they were not big stars. They knew who the rabid fans were at first, because they'd see us all the time; and it was NOT this massive riot-crush to get to close to them. (btw, it was waaay awesome before Tommy too, waay waaay awesome).

We'd already seen them live and gotten close, you know? You can't find the good stuff if it's 50 years later and not generally released. Whatever. It's here. If their reputation and ultimate legacy somehow depdended on this....they'd be safe as milk. I think it's already happened that way actually. So do they apparently, according to interviews and their actual set-lists over the decades...and a lot of their promotion materials. Oh and just for the hell of it, I hate leaving a post here that does not mention the mighty mighty Mr. Perks, so...
...on L&g the bass player is BILL WYMAN!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-03 06:54 by hopkins.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: July 3, 2017 12:48

S.T.P

I would love to have an entire Altamont soundboard. That was a great show musically, despite the tragedy surrounding it.

Date: July 3, 2017 16:27

hopkins
S.T.P
boogaloojef
S.T.P

Who cares what 'the big market' cares about. They are always late to the party. Always. You don't have to be a historian to enjoy Mozart or Louis Armstrong or Reverend Gary Davis. That would make me less hip than I'd be if I was way into Katy Perry, because that's what the big market certainly cares about. Moving units. This. Is. It. It NEVER got better than this; at it's best it approached and tried to replicate it; using, of course, much the same material and actual set. IF it did get 'better,' we'd have to thrust ourselves waaaay into the next year for Euro '73. I was there in '75 and '89 too. I'm not gonna get drawn into a ron vs mick t thing because it's unfair to both of them and irreleveant to reality of their changes, but just to say, it is not Ron's fault that the band went hairwire and fell virtually apart. In fact he did all he could to run the thin line between both of them and survive.
this is it. YOUNG fans DO know. They do if given half a chance.
Many many years ago when that shit Doors movie came out and Oliver Stone really lost his way bigtime, many 'younger' people were getting their first performance 'footage' of Jim and The Doors thru Val Kilmer, an otherwise excellent actor during that period; and it was a cartoon; a bad cartoon.

These 'kids' were my friends but my kids friends too; and mucm more their age. We played them Hollywood Bowl and they got it immediately. THEY saw the difference right away. Snap. Off the bat. They saw his humor and 'put-on' and his closeness, and intimacy with the L.A. fans. I think he even purposely burped into the microphone and everyone had a laugh; I mean it wasn't all that magic ghost-Indian heavy, tho it was heavy enough, the edge of chaos Jim adventured int...
...just to hopefully not confuse things further; but...man, this is it. When did they have a better tour with better material and better personnel.

Or more 'appropriate' personnel, considering that amidst the four side-men, three or four of them were absolute unique genius' at what they did. And ALL of them had cut the golden period right along with the band, closer than close.

So that's why it's a big deal even if no one much buys it this go around. Or ever frankly. "Death Don't Have No Mercy" was never a big hit. But it's more than biblical in it's truth, hard reality and unimaginable levels of soulful beauty. Like I'm gonna give much of a cukk who thinks what or buys what or listens to what. I know what's excellent, exiciting, and important to me personally beyond any critic or popularity contest, or sales chart. I still listen to doo wop if it's the right cut and group. There are two dozen black doo wop bands that are pristinely excellent, innovative and original before much of this bled into white r&b lovin' young artists...
...there is a world of magical beautiful soulful music. And not necessarily just 'signed' and promoted acts in todays pop market. Again, who really cares? NOt the pop kids into Ariana Grande or even Meghan Trainor, who I like more than Gaga or any of them, that smart little courage cutie...

If you will not consider this arrogant, and I hope not, because I was just one kid buying one record at a time, but, sssshhh, The Stones were a cult act not selling as much as others. A LOT of bands had a hit single or two and were getting enough sales to keep working but not really anything groundbreaking or astounding...a LOT of bands. There were kids from 10 years old, and grownups from 18 up to 30 who were into The Stones. THESE people led the market; they people created the demand and set the scene. And also welcomed them into their cities as well as homes by buying records. If I was to look at the sales and marketing angle chiefly; I'd have had to throw out dozens of the best most seminal and important albums ANYONE has ever had the chance to buy; and hugely and largely, they were not big commercial smashes consistently or for long, if at all. Care not.

I do not remember one person from back in the day who particularly cared to track their sales numbers for example. But have fun.
If rock and roll is 'art,' it is outsider art at core; the way it mashed up it's antecedents, maneuverd and combined them, was not in any rule-book or executive strategy manual. Amidst my tippy top uber favorites of all time from the rock and roll era, there is Van and Kinks who were not getting Number 1 albums one after another, and made the most important pieces of functional art that have been durable over half a century and I lean on it hard. Clarence White era Byrds were not exploding the sales charts. Go ahead and beat some of that stuff!!
for example.

Honestly, when The Who finally mega-exploded internationally and hugely with Tommy, the news was everywhere all the time. The big heavy magazines wanted to interview them about the psychological ramifications of the characters and so on...they became huge, huge international stars,,,and my little clique of high-school friends and college drop-outs. who had My Generation, A Quick One/happy jack and Magic Bus and The Who Sell Out, were almost feeling a bit of possesion or something. Like this is OUR group. Almost like we kinda helped them when they were not big stars. They knew who the rabid fans were at first, because they'd see us all the time; and it was NOT this massive riot-crush to get to close to them. (btw, it was waaay awesome before Tommy too, waay waaay awesome).

We'd already seen them live and gotten close, you know? You can't find the good stuff if it's 50 years later and not generally released. Whatever. It's here. If their reputation and ultimate legacy somehow depdended on this....they'd be safe as milk. I think it's already happened that way actually. So do they apparently, according to interviews and their actual set-lists over the decades...and a lot of their promotion materials. Oh and just for the hell of it, I hate leaving a post here that does not mention the mighty mighty Mr. Perks, so...
...on L&g the bass player is BILL WYMAN!

I agree on much of what you say. Interesting read, thank you!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: July 3, 2017 16:43

Yes Altamont and other stuff from '69 - and from Europe '70. And other goodies from '72. And a boxset from '73. Copenhagen '73 would be nice to have in soundboard - if it was recorded.

Boxset from '69, '70, '72 and '73.

Date: July 3, 2017 17:04

sanQ
S.T.P

I would love to have an entire Altamont soundboard. That was a great show musically, despite the tragedy surrounding it.

The show is IMO uneven and sometimes they sound too unfocused.
But: on the other hand, their instruments sound awesome (especially the guitars) and the way the festivals dark athmosphere effected the band, makes it stand out as a concert. Very intence. There are also some of the finest versions of ie. Stray cat and j.j.f. (very slow!) Sympathy is haunting, and Under my thumb sounds much meaner than on ya yas. Yeah, it would have been a thrill to have that show in great qualitythumbs up.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 6, 2017 20:00

I was a bit underwhelmed by the sound on this to begin with, but the louder you play it the better the sound seems to get. At least for my ears........

Fantastic live album from the band. That version of The Stones will always be the greatest rock n roll band ever.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 6, 2017 23:18

This album is now on Spotify: [play.spotify.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 7, 2017 13:12

I finally got mine this past Saturday and I do agree with many folks who posted that this could have been cleaned up a bit or more but I none the less still blasted it from the big speakers in the house and enjoyed just the same if not more and it certainly quite a lot of fun to listen to it a lot smiling smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 11, 2017 11:05

If Charlie's drumming on Midnight Rambler on this isn't his greatest ever performance on any song, it's damn close. He is A MACHINE!

Rod

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 18, 2017 03:34

I am now convinced if the 'Tumbling Dice' recording were indeed intact/
we could fully hear Mick Taylor (he's a whisper, his guitar NOT LOUD ENOUGH)
you know, if the sound were fixed/ if it was the REAL DEAL
as TD crescendos into the roll, you know, the projection right into bliss on the studio track 1971, but here live in 1972
The world and my head would truly explode.
Ya.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: January 27, 2018 13:58

There is a CD / DVD combo that was only released in Japan and the USA in 2017, someone knows where to buy it or a website

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2561
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home