Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones soundtrack to be released on cd in June
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 17, 2017 21:38

In this case, I get why they chose to use so much compression though. I listened through headphones, and the placement of Nicky's piano (which I've never heard this much of) on the far right if Keith, and the horns' placement in the far right of Mick Taylor, has me wondering if this was indeed a fold down or light remix of the quad soundtrack done for the DVD/BluRay and rescued here. Also, there are no sound credits whatsoever on the CD or booklet. No mixing, no mastering, nothing. Very unlike the Live in Texas credits.

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones soundtrack to be released on cd in June
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 17, 2017 23:57

Wow, they blew a golden opportunity with this one. Better quality than the boots I guess but not by much. I prefer the STP collection, to be honest.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 18, 2017 00:45

My assessment is the original tapes severely limit this one. EQ'ing can only do so much...like converting a 128 mp3 to 320 or Flac...it ain't gonna help. Let's enjoy it, I mean we've all been waiting for this one!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 18, 2017 00:57

Ladies & Gentlemen the Rolling Stones 1972 Blu ray 720p AVC DTS 5 1 AtZLIT 00 00 00 00 11 30
Bitch
[youtu.be]

This is only tremendously great; so i can well understand why everyone is so upset. I can hardly sit in the chair. In fact I'm going to stand up and dance.
check u later...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 17:38 by hopkins.

Date: June 18, 2017 01:15

TeddyB1018
In this case, I get why they chose to use so much compression though. I listened through headphones, and the placement of Nicky's piano (which I've never heard this much of) on the far right if Keith, and the horns' placement in the far right of Mick Taylor, has me wondering if this was indeed a fold down or light remix of the quad soundtrack done for the DVD/BluRay and rescued here. Also, there are no sound credits whatsoever on the CD or booklet. No mixing, no mastering, nothing. Very unlike the Live in Texas credits.

Bob Freeze is credited on Spotify, but I don't know what he did...

Date: June 18, 2017 06:08

The mixes floating around for the 72 live album with the overdubs sound more well-recorded than what we have for L&G, except for You Can't Always Get What Uou Want, which sounds like a narrower mix of the exact same track. Only drag is Keith's background vocals are very low on them. I don't suppose there is any excuse for the Stones releasing an old, unreleased, overdubbed live album though.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: June 18, 2017 09:59

DandelionPowderman
Who's «Bob Freeze» by the way?

An alias for Jack Frost!! cool smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 18, 2017 10:11

DandelionPowderman
Who's «Bob Freeze» by the way?

He played goal for the Flyers and Rangers in the 80s. Never mind, that was Bob Froese.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: June 18, 2017 12:48

Looks like Bob Freeze is the producer...
[m.imdb.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 18, 2017 14:42

S.T.P
It's on Spotify and I must say it's better than I feared! We now have a official live album from 1972smoking smiley Only 45 years >grinning smiley<

Well, it is what it is: The soundtrack of a concert movie, less perfect than it could be if they had accessed the original multitracks which had at least existed back then - otherwise it would not have been possible to produce a quadrophonic sound experience.

Soundwise, it's not the "official live album" the 1972 tour deserves considering that even if the L&G multitracks are unaccessible now (for whatever reason), still multitrack recordings of other 1972 shows must exist that were recorded with a live album in mind (Philadelphia and others) - of performances that were at least as good as L&G, if not even better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 16:44 by retired_dog.

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: June 18, 2017 17:00

I had a listen to the CD yesterday and found the sound to favour the left channel to a large degree.

Also, the overall sound is quite muddy.

There certainly wasn't much effort put into the mastering to try and improve the sound.

SFTD

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 18, 2017 21:03

I was driving around running errands with Ladies and Gentlemen blasting in the CD player. The sound could be better, but life doesn't get much better.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: June 18, 2017 23:42

Well saidthumbs up

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: June 19, 2017 03:47

Not perfect but it is better than the boots I have. 15-20 years ago we would have killed for this release. IMHO we are spoiled by the vault releases we have gotten recently.

Listened to it in the car today and thought it sounded pretty good to my old ears.

Date: June 19, 2017 08:43

oldschool
Not perfect but it is better than the boots I have. 15-20 years ago we would have killed for this release. IMHO we are spoiled by the vault releases we have gotten recently.

Listened to it in the car today and thought it sounded pretty good to my old ears.

How is it better than your boots?

Date: June 19, 2017 09:30

Whatever the issues are, it's still a pretty great listen. With the ancient mix, they really sound like a band. Charlie is at his most Charlie.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 19, 2017 12:28

Received this morning

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 19, 2017 12:49

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 19, 2017 14:32

It sounds fine to me, given its age and provenance.

Does this release precludes any additional live material from 1972 being released in the near-future?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 19, 2017 15:15

Well,

Have listened to bout 5 songs now, and it is growing on me.Good stuff
God, What A Band!!
jeroen

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 19, 2017 15:48

corriecas
Well,

God, What A Band!!
jeroen
It seems no one has any doubts about the performance. But comparison to Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (+bonus tracks), Sticky Fingers Deluxe bonuses (Leeds and Roundhouse), Marquee 71 and Brussels 73 clearly show that something is not right with the tapes and/or copyrights. Either the original multitracks are lost or there are some contractual obligations that prevent them to remix/remaster the whole thing properly. It just does not sound right on CD. I can tolerate the sound on video, when one is more focused on visualization/moving objects on the screen. Pure soundtrack - it is a shame.

Date: June 19, 2017 15:54

ironbelly
corriecas
Well,

God, What A Band!!
jeroen
It seems no one has any doubts about the performance. But comparison to Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (+bonus tracks), Sticky Fingers Deluxe bonuses (Leeds and Roundhouse), Marquee 71 and Brussels 73 clearly show that something is not right with the tapes and/or copyrights. Either the original multitracks are lost or there are some contractual obligations that prevent them to remix/remaster the whole thing properly. It just does not sound right on CD. I can tolerate the sound on video, when one is more focused on visualization/moving objects on the screen. Pure soundtrack - it is a shame.

Leeds has a poor sound mix/recording as well. I'd say that it is on par with L&G.

Roundhouse sounds excellent.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 16:27

DandelionPowderman
ironbelly
corriecas
Well,

God, What A Band!!
jeroen

Leeds has a poor sound mix/recording as well. I'd say that it is on par with L&G.

Roundhouse sounds excellent.

-Leeds sounds quite ok to me. (The TSP boot was nearly as good)
-Roundhouse is very good.
-Marquee is annoyingly bad. (as the bootleg was)
-Ladies & Gentlemen has great music but the cd release / streaming sounds even worse than the official dvd ...

I think all of these releases suffer from "hot" mastering (loudness-war & compression)

Not too happy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 16:31 by glimmertwin1.

Date: June 19, 2017 16:30

If the recording (or fold down, as L&G might be) is bad in the first place, mastering can't correct that. It can make it even worse, but I'm not sure if that's the case with L&G.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 20, 2017 00:44

If anything this release motivated me to revisit this tour through my various boots ("Welcome To New York", etc.). I can't believe they won't do it justice like they did with Ya-Yas.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 20, 2017 10:56

I think putting out the L&G soundtrack was the easiest, cheapest option to fill the "live in 1972" gap.

Date: June 20, 2017 15:56

VGP-314 for this one.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: June 20, 2017 17:44

The ladies and gentlemen CD doesn't sound very good at all, sad to say. Are there any chanses for a future release of more stuff from the US-tour 1972? The original live album that was stopped in 1972 surely had better sound, and was worked on by Stones and Jimmy Miller. Any chanses for a deal with the Allen Klein estate?

Date: June 20, 2017 18:19

Kuntaman
The ladies and gentlemen CD doesn't sound very good at all, sad to say. Are there any chanses for a future release of more stuff from the US-tour 1972? The original live album that was stopped in 1972 surely had better sound, and was worked on by Stones and Jimmy Miller. Any chanses for a deal with the Allen Klein estate?

To my ears the planned live album didn't really sound any better.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 20, 2017 18:30

Kuntaman

Good point. Allen Klein put a five year embargo on the Stones using any song originally recorded during the ABCKO/Decca era which is why we had to wait until Love You Live in 1977 so they probably wouldn't have to do a deal in order to release it now.
It was supposed to have been a double album with the other disc featuring Stevie Wonder's set, the second time they'd had such a project scuppered.

NME December 23, 1972

Proposed album cover.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-20 18:32 by Deltics.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home