Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1981 recommendations
Date: April 24, 2017 14:38

Stoneage
Sure Winning Ugly, collect them all if you want. It's a matter of personal taste I guess. I stand by my view though. Of course.

I definitely wouldn't put Saint Paul or Lexington .... or KBFH soundboards into the "completist" collect them all category.

Probably not Seattle,Kansas City,Hartford,or Cedar Falls either,but,maybe that's just me.

Some of the early '81 tour recordings (Los Angeles etc.) maybe just for completists.

Date: April 24, 2017 14:41

Winning Ugly VXII
Stoneage
If you have Hampton (audio or/and video) there is no need for anything else from 1981 really. Everything else is above par value. Go for the 1982 tour instead. Leeds for example is a good complement to the Hampton show.

Saint Paul , Minnesota ..... for the sound / performance quality

Lexington ......... for the sound / performance quality

Louisville (for "Down the Road Apiece" and "All Down the Line")

Seattle (for "When the Whip Comes Down" in mono)

Kansas City ...... Taylor on some of the tracks

The first 8 or 9 shows of the tour for some rare live songs not performed later in the tour.

+ the shows with Mona and Tops.

The Philly-shows is a must-have for it's stripped down and brutally unrehearsed raw feel. No sax player, either, right?

Date: April 24, 2017 14:58

+ the shows with Mona and Tops falls under "The first 8 or 9 shows of the tour for some rare live songs not performed later in the tour".

No sax player in Philadelphia or Buffalo. Lee Allen in Rockford and Boulder. Ernie Watts joined up in San Diego. Bobby Keys made spot appearances starting in Orlando.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-24 15:00 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Date: April 24, 2017 15:16

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 24, 2017 17:24

It's a pity that they ditched "Tops". They could have given that one a chance. The other two I don't mind.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 24, 2017 17:58

Wish they would play "Down the Road Apiece" again.
This is a good version.

[www.youtube.com]

The video in this is not the actual song, but good footage.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: May 18, 2017 07:08

DandelionPowderman
Cedar Falls
San Francisco

Is the San Francisco October 18th show available that you know of? That was my first show, would be cool to hear it.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 08:33

81 is my least favourite tour. A ramshackle mess. And I normally love ramshackle. But THIS was bad.

Rod

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 18, 2017 08:39

Winning Ugly VXII
+ the shows with Mona and Tops falls under "The first 8 or 9 shows of the tour for some rare live songs not performed later in the tour".

No sax player in Philadelphia or Buffalo. Lee Allen in Rockford and Boulder. Ernie Watts joined up in San Diego. Bobby Keys made spot appearances starting in Orlando.

Bobby was in LA too.

Date: May 18, 2017 15:57

bitusa2012
81 is my least favourite tour. A ramshackle mess. And I normally love ramshackle. But THIS was bad.

Rod - love the missus, the Stones, Springsteen, Travel, NYC, Cars and Apple.

It's hard to call 1981 "Let it Bleed" , "Down the Road Apiece" , "Waiting On a Friend" etc. bad.

Well,maybe the Philly and Tempe performances of "Let It Bleed" were bad but,most of the rest .... far from it.

If you love Apple so much,try BSD. Apple's operating system is just a commercialized,weakened fork of FreeBSD.

Date: May 18, 2017 16:27

Winning Ugly VXII
bitusa2012

Rod - love the missus, the Stones, Springsteen, Travel, NYC, Cars and Apple.

It's hard to call 1981 "Let it Bleed" , "Down the Road Apiece" , "Waiting On a Friend" etc. bad.

Well,maybe the Philly and Tempe performances of "Let It Bleed" were bad but,most of the rest .... far from it.

If you love Apple so much,try BSD. Apple's operating system is just a commercialized,weakened fork of FreeBSD.

Agreed. The same could be said about UMT (except for some butchered intros), LSTNT, Shattered, Time Is On My Side, Imagination, Black Limousine and many more songs, actually.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 21, 2017 01:15

Personal recommendations:

Tempe is always #1 for my go-to 1981/1982 shows. Find a boot of the complete show and compare it with what's in LSTNT to see just how much the Hal Asbury and the Stones edited and butchered what was a spectacular performance. Even now, the performances of "Neighbors" and "Beast of Burden" from this show are the definitive versions--live or studio--as far as I'm concerned. The whole band performs inhuman magic on them. Except for a completely botched version of LIB and somewhat underwhelming performances of "Going to a Go Go" and Mick's mic cutting out at the first verse of BS), each song is a delight to listen to. The version of "She's So Cold" from this show makes me want to get on the phone to Stones from Wembley 1982 and say, "THIS is how you screwup the intro to this song, and still manage to turn it into a killer performance. Other highlights are "Shattered," "Whip," "Black Limousine," "Under My Thumb," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Little T&A," "Tumbling Dice," "WOAF," "Hang Fire," "YCAGWYW," "Satisfaction," "HTW" and "Start Me Up."

Other longtime 1981 favorites I'd recommend are the second Hartford show, the first Hampton show (which you already have), the second Seattle show, and the first two East Rutherford shows.

Both Pontiac (Detroit) shows are outstanding: a fantastic representation of the Stones at their 1981 kickass garage band rock and roll powers.

Atlanta has been hyped both by journalists at the time and Stones biographers since as the best show of the tour. While I wouldn't go that far, it is another one of my favorites, with great performances of "Black Limousone," "Just My Imagination," "20 Flight Rock," "Time Is On My Side," "LIB," "Little T&A," "TD," and "YCAGWYW" (the latter being one of my all-time favorite versions of that Stones classic).

The first San Francisco show doesn't take off until "LIB," but once it does, save for flubbed versions of "TD" and "HF," it's a great show.

Lexington is strange because on some songs (Going to a Go Go, WOAF), the band sounds tired, while on other songs (YCAGWYW, MY, TIOMS and esp. "Just My Imagination") they are on fire.

What little pieces I've heard on YouTube of the second Dallas show and the first Orlando show, they sound like these were great performances. By contrast, both the first Dallas show and first Syracuse show, while not without their moments, are not ones I would recommend to a 1981 first timer.

The first Kansas City show with Mick Taylor is good provided you come across a copy that's actually of the first Kansas City show: I've lost count of the times I found one that was actually from the night after.

I've only heard parts of the two New York shows, but what I've heard is pretty good.

As far as the two Philadelphia shows are concerned, nobody is going to confuse them as the second coming of Philadelphia Special. The Stones are grossly under-rehearsed, sloppy and ragged, but to quote/paraphrase a review from an old online Stones newsletter, they played these two shows with an edge that seemed lacking as the tour progressed. As sloppy and loose and ragged as the Stones were in Philadelphia at the tour's open, they were also spirited, fired up, energetic, raw and powerful. In addition, it's also interesting to hear the Stones try some ideas on songs that would be dropped later on--it literally sounds like the Stones are inviting their fans to a dress-rehearsal (listen to the versions of "LSTNT" and "Black Limousine" from these shows: you'll understand what I'm saying.)

These shows I haven't heard myself but are highly regarded by fans whose opinions I respect:

Cedar Falls, the second Hampton show, and the first two Rosemont (Chicago) shows.

What to avoid:

Both Houston shows.

I've heard Stones shows where they sounded good, ones where they sounded great, ones where they were on fire, ones where they were on autopilot, and ones where they flat-out sucked.

But these two Houston shows from 1981 are the only Stones shows where I shrugged my shoulders and said, "whatever."

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-15 06:09 by stevecardi.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 21, 2017 01:21

Deleted: accidental repost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 01:41 by stevecardi.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 21, 2017 02:01

Snoopy
DandelionPowderman
Cedar Falls
San Francisco

Is the San Francisco October 18th show available that you know of? That was my first show, would be cool to hear it.

It's available on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 21, 2017 02:35

Rockman

.......just do what Swingin' Pig told us ......... Collect 'em all!

And rightly so!

Greetings from the pig, btw.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: June 21, 2017 06:10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 07:46 by Plink.

Date: June 21, 2017 14:34

Plink
Stoneage
It's a pity that they ditched "Tops". They could have given that one a chance. The other two I don't mind.

I was at that 1st Philly show and Tops was a huge flop w/ the audience. The level of energy & interest plummeted dramatically. The band feeds off of the enthusiasm of the audience and I can understand why they dumped it. I was an unobjective fangirl at the time, the sort who'd automatically love everything the Stones served up, but even I thought the performance of Tops was just "meh". I was glad they didn't play it again during Philly 2.

The level of energy drops down for every slow ballad type of song.

Anyway,this is one song where they probably need Taylor onboard. They missed the opportunity in Kansas City '81 and again on the 2013 and 2014 tours.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home