Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Peter Hook on Almost Joining The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 5, 2017 16:24

The iconic bassist reveals that he was up to replace the Stones' Bill Wyman, and explains why he just couldn't take the gig.

[www.yahoo.com]

Re: Peter Hook on Almost Joining The Rolling Stones
Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: April 6, 2017 05:19

Interesting read. Peter Hook simply isn't a 'Stones name'; Bill Wyman is. Can't imagine Keith Richards being a Joe Winston or Mick a Sam Sherwin. Their names fit perfectly as in the aligning of the stars smileys with beer

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: April 6, 2017 05:19

Interesting. Peter Hook simply isn't a 'Stones name'; Bill Wyman is. Can't imagine Keith Richards being a Joe Winston or Mick a Sam Sherwin. Their names fit perfectly as in the aligning of the stars smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2017 09:09

dunno..."I was Peter Hooker, cuttin' up meat!"...sort of works, doesn't it?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 6, 2017 09:11

Glad he did not become the bass player.
Jeroen

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2017 09:23

....no he ain't no Stone ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 6, 2017 11:10

It's very hard to believe, isn't this some belated April's fool thing?
In any case, Peter Hook is smart enough to recognize (even apart from his tone-deaf thing) that that would never have worked.
Even so: damn, it certainly would have been very interesting, and in some ways it might have made the Stones a relevant band again. They might have lost 75% of their fanbase and have become a completely different band, but that might have kept things at least interesting. No Stones-by-numbers with that set-up. So, in a way: a pity that didn't happen, even though it would have been almost impossible to work.

Date: April 6, 2017 11:30

StonedAsia
Interesting read. Peter Hook simply isn't a 'Stones name'; Bill Wyman is. Can't imagine Keith Richards being a Joe Winston or Mick a Sam Sherwin. Their names fit perfectly as in the aligning of the stars smileys with beer

True, but William Perks wasn't really a Stones name either? winking smiley

Date: April 6, 2017 11:43

I am surprised that he was offered the gig. If this came from Jagger it shows once again jst how out of touch Jagger is within his and the Stones place in the whole cauldron. Maybe it was hook's name and rep that brought that about - but man, what a wrong choice.
Can you imagine Keith wanting to bond over hours and hours of Blues and Country with Peter Hook?

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 6, 2017 11:52

Rockman
....no he ain't no Stone ...

Darryl Jones is no Stone either...

Date: April 6, 2017 11:55

The Stones already had a Woodhead in the group...

He is a good bass player, though. Not sure if he really was offered the gig, though.

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 6, 2017 12:10

DandelionPowderman
The Stones already had a Woodhead in the group...

He is a good bass player, though. Not sure if he really was offered the gig, though.

Bassist is a job with responsibility.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 6, 2017 13:43

Bullocks !!!!!!!! (more like blasphemy )

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 8, 2017 23:58

No chance. No way. Not ever. Never woulda happened

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 9, 2017 03:12

Cristiano Radtke
The iconic bassist reveals that he was up to replace the Stones' Bill Wyman, and explains why he just couldn't take the gig.

[www.yahoo.com]
Fantasy

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 9, 2017 10:22

Peter Hook? Who's that? An offspring of Captain Hook? Perhaps an extra from one of Johnny Dipp's movies?

First of all, you could never "replace" Bill Wyman, that is "join" the Rolling Stones -- unless you were doing so in, say, 1975, and had a similar pedigree yourself for the previous 10 years.

Ron Wood joined -- eventually, as a full member. But it took him how many years? That is, to be considered a full member, though he appeared on album covers from 1976.

What this Peter HooKaresWhoHeIs means is... "...on Almost Becoming A Hired Hand For The Rolling Stones, and explains why he just couldn't take the JOB."

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 9, 2017 11:00

WTF is this guy?!

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: April 9, 2017 11:01

StonedAsia

If you used to hear the name of Bob duchmoll as the singer of the Rolling Stones for 55 years, today you will find a name like Mick Jagger, ridiculous.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 9, 2017 11:23

Never ever heard about this iconic bass player nor his fantastic music writing skills.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 9, 2017 12:02

The fact that nobody here has even heard of Peter Hook just shows how out of touch with music most people on this site are.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 9, 2017 12:10

Bastion
The fact that nobody here has even heard of Peter Hook just shows how out of touch with music most people on this site are.
Well said.
Try this [m.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 9, 2017 12:23

Jezus, nobody ever heard of Joy Division (later to be continued as New Order)?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 9, 2017 12:31

yrh i never heard of him. i saw 'joy division' in one of hooks vids i think but i dont know them either. i,e heard the name is as fas i ever got w joy division...
...so far anyway...maybe ill catvhnup w em down the road...

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 9, 2017 12:32

Peter Hook is well known here in the UK but - and I don't know - maybe Joy Division and New Order not so well known in US? And he does say "5th choice"

Posted by: django ()
Date: April 9, 2017 12:53

Bastion

thumbs up

Peter Hook is a fantastic bass player and the two Joy Division albums from 78/80 have aged better than most of the albums from that period. Still relevant music for those who have open ears and mind.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 9, 2017 13:10

Only the Beatles rival the continuation Joy Division/ New Order as my second favourite band. As a non-musician, however, I abstain from judgements here on how good musicians are on their instruments.

It was certainly better for New Order that Peter Hook took part in three further New Order albums.

Date: April 9, 2017 13:50

Bastion

Well, I know Joy Division and New Order, but since I have never like them I can not feel guilty about not knowing who this guy is. I know who Greg Lake and Chris Squire were..I enjoy their worl zillions of times better. I wont ever critize you because you don't know who Joaquin Sabina is.

Date: April 9, 2017 13:52

Bastion

Does it really? That is a very stupid comment in my humble opinion.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 9, 2017 14:45

leteyer
Bastion

Does it really? That is a very stupid comment in my humble opinion.

That's the vibe I always get with any discussion that isn't classic dad rock.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 9, 2017 15:08

leteyer
Never ever heard about this iconic bass player nor his fantastic music writing skills.

thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1663
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home