Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Peter Hook on Almost Joining The Rolling Stones
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 9, 2017 15:39

Palace Revolution 2000
I am surprised that he was offered the gig. If this came from Jagger it shows once again jst how out of touch Jagger is within his and the Stones place in the whole cauldron. Maybe it was hook's name and rep that brought that about - but man, what a wrong choice.
Can you imagine Keith wanting to bond over hours and hours of Blues and Country with Peter Hook?

Maybe Mick wanted him to piss Keith off, the way he did with Chuck and Matt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-09 15:39 by stone4ever.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 9, 2017 17:12

Palace Revolution 2000
I am surprised that he was offered the gig. If this came from Jagger it shows once again jst how out of touch Jagger is within his and the Stones place in the whole cauldron.

Mick is always in search of new sounds and Hook was "new sounds" in the 80's. Remember how Jim Barber was brought into the UC sessions with the order to give the music a contemporary sound. He was asked to play some licks à la Police.

Of course Hook would never have worked within the Stones context.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 10, 2017 09:16

Bastion
leteyer
Bastion
The fact that nobody here has even heard of Peter Hook just shows how out of touch with music most people on this site are.

Does it really? That is a very stupid comment in my humble opinion.

That's the vibe I always get with any discussion that isn't classic dad rock.
But, you see, this site is dedicated to a band, a group, a style of music that had its heyday a half century ago.

Maybe you are on the wrong site.

Hey -- you like vintage cars? Many don't, you know. But those who do, they like them very much, indeed! smiling smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 10, 2017 15:05

DandelionPowderman
He is a good bass player, though. Not sure if he really was offered the gig, though.

No DP, of course he was never offered the job.

After Taylor and Wyman leaving The Stones liked to jam around with lots of people.
Everybody knew somebody lol . .
But it's still a loong way to been offered the job - or even get it.

Btw. I had some of their albums, but never really liked Joy D. or New Order.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 10, 2017 15:45

Palace Revolution 2000
I am surprised that he was offered the gig. If this came from Jagger it shows once again jst how out of touch Jagger is within his and the Stones place in the whole cauldron. Maybe it was hook's name and rep that brought that about - but man, what a wrong choice.
Can you imagine Keith wanting to bond over hours and hours of Blues and Country with Peter Hook?

yes mick is confused about the stones...you guys make me do at least one facepalm every time i come to this site.

for fcks sake..you actually think mick would or could just ask some guy to join the stones? mick and keith were even afraid to pick someone between the two of them and threw it over to charlie in the end.

this guy was never offered the job -he's either making up a story or his friends pranked him and called up sounding like mick and he still hasn't figured it out after all these years.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 10, 2017 15:48

corriecas
Glad he did not become the bass player.
Jeroen

Why is that?

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 11, 2017 04:34

If you have listened to any joy division or new order his style is totally wrong for the stones. He plays like a lead guitarist

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 12, 2017 01:27

He never "almost joined" the Stones. The most he could say was that he almost auditioned. I presume several bassists auditioned for that job.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 12, 2017 03:42

dcba
Mick is always in search of new sounds and Hook was "new sounds" in the 80's. Remember how Jim Barber was brought into the UC sessions with the order to give the music a contemporary sound. He was asked to play some licks à la Police.

Barber was working as a roadie during the UNDERCOVER sessions and allowed to plug in and play on "Too Much Blood" since Keith and Ronnie weren't very into the song. He was also a roadie on the PRIMITIVE COOL sessions when he (alongside Jimmy Rip and Vernon Reid) was allowed to overdub a few seconds here and there and fix Jeff Beck's work where needed. This was done as a cost-saving effort. On SHE'S THE BOSS, Mick used Eddie Martinez who worked with Beck as his overdub guy at the time (same management) . Mick's decision to go with three players for overdubs on PRIMITIVE COOL was cheaper. I found this out by asking Jimmy Rip which song he played on after Vernon Reid claimed (back in the 1980s) he was playing the blues licks on "Peace for the Wicked." Jimmy responded all three of them spent several afternoons doing these ridiculous one or two second overdubs that took far longer to set up. He said there would be no way to even know which song it was for and that his getting the musical director slot on Mick's solo tour had nothing to do with playing a stray note here or there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-12 03:43 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 12, 2017 04:46

Rocky Dijon
dcba

Barber was working as a roadie during the UNDERCOVER sessions and allowed to plug in and play on "Too Much Blood" since Keith and Ronnie weren't very into the song. He was also a roadie on the PRIMITIVE COOL sessions when he (alongside Jimmy Rip and Vernon Reid) was allowed to overdub a few seconds here and there and fix Jeff Beck's work where needed. This was done as a cost-saving effort. On SHE'S THE BOSS, Mick used Eddie Martinez who worked with Beck as his overdub guy at the time (same management) . Mick's decision to go with three players for overdubs on PRIMITIVE COOL was cheaper. I found this out by asking Jimmy Rip which song he played on after Vernon Reid claimed (back in the 1980s) he was playing the blues licks on "Peace for the Wicked." Jimmy responded all three of them spent several afternoons doing these ridiculous one or two second overdubs that took far longer to set up. He said there would be no way to even know which song it was for and that his getting the musical director slot on Mick's solo tour had nothing to do with playing a stray note here or there.

"fixing Jeff Beck's work" - there's a job for a guitarist, lol

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 12, 2017 05:18

Fairly certain it's normal for guitars, bass, or drums to be lost during mixing and require overdubs. Beck was expensive. Jagger paid for the official hired hand - Eddie Martinez on SHE'S THE BOSS so he went with his own solution during PRIMITIVE COOL and had Reid, Rip, and Barber handle the overdubs during mixing. I would imagine a few folks here would say that is actually normal in the world of superstar session guitarists. You wouldn't waste the money on bringing them back for a few seconds of clean up.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 12, 2017 05:24

Rocky Dijon
Fairly certain it's normal for guitars, bass, or drums to be lost during mixing and require overdubs. Beck was expensive. Jagger paid for the official hired hand - Eddie Martinez on SHE'S THE BOSS so he went with his own solution during PRIMITIVE COOL and had Reid, Rip, and Barber handle the overdubs during mixing. I would imagine a few folks here would say that is actually normal in the world of superstar session guitarists. You wouldn't waste the money on bringing them back for a few seconds of clean up.

Yeah, I get it, it just sounded funny to talk in terms of "fixing" Jeff Beck's work

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 12, 2017 12:16

Not knowing who Peter Hook is, can only come from those types of fans who considers it cool to have a limited musical knowledge, wearing a black t-shirt and a leather-jacket, a bandana on their shaved head, while riding a chopper on Route 66.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 12, 2017 14:34

.... hey that's a racist comment .... there's only one country with a Route 66

ROCKMAN

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 12, 2017 23:44

Blueranger
Not knowing who Peter Hook is, can only come from those types of fans who considers it cool to have a limited musical knowledge, wearing a black t-shirt and a leather-jacket, a bandana on their shaved head, while riding a chopper on Route 66.

Another stupid comment...You know theres jazz and classical music, country music R&B, Blues, Prog, Metal and funk and disco and music from our own countries. I dont know who this guy is, I dont like Joy Division nor New Order and I will tell you that my musical taste is very, very large.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 13, 2017 00:42

lem motlow
Palace Revolution 2000

yes mick is confused about the stones...you guys make me do at least one facepalm every time i come to this site.

for fcks sake..you actually think mick would or could just ask some guy to join the stones? mick and keith were even afraid to pick someone between the two of them and threw it over to charlie in the end.

this guy was never offered the job -he's either making up a story or his friends pranked him and called up sounding like mick and he still hasn't figured it out after all these years.

It has to be a prank indeed! The guy's always been pretty delusional, his recent whining about "New Order" going on the road without him is a good example of that. As a side note, one of the worst records I ever bought was by his "side project" called Monaco I think in the mid-80s, unlistenable, even by my lenient standards, complete waste of time and money

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home