Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
How Did Keith Kick Heroin?
Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: November 9, 2011 17:07

I know the so called blood change in Switzerland is bogus.

Did he clean up for '70,'71,'72,'73 and '75 tours and then go back to using? What about '78, did he go "cold turkey" or was he in rehab?

In the 60 Minutes interview didn't Ronnie state "Keith was too stoned to help him on the '81 tour?

On the Larry King interview Jagger states he is taken into a private room when he enters the USA because of his drug conviction. Does Keith have the same issue when he comes off a tour or comes back to the USA after being out of the country?

Re: How Did Keith Kick Heroin?
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 9, 2011 17:31

I think a Toronto courtroom was very eye-opening to Keith

Have you read LIFE yet?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 9, 2011 17:44

Sam Spade
I know the so called blood change in Switzerland is bogus.

Did he clean up for '70,'71,'72,'73 and '75 tours and then go back to using? What about '78, did he go "cold turkey" or was he in rehab?

In the 60 Minutes interview didn't Ronnie state "Keith was too stoned to help him on the '81 tour?

On the Larry King interview Jagger states he is taken into a private room when he enters the USA because of his drug conviction. Does Keith have the same issue when he comes off a tour or comes back to the USA after being out of the country?

Long story short:

He relapsed again and again..went to rehab several times, but heroin wasnt his only probleam, he was also alcoholic and cocaine user for years...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 9, 2011 18:07

seitan
he was also alcoholic

Was?

Have you read LIFE yet?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 9, 2011 18:43

He first got some major help in the States? (See Respectable) Then it seemed he was on the right track to quit for good. Anyone who has quit cigarettes knows the routine. You quit a few times, sometimes for a long stretch or two, relapse, and then you're finally fed up or weakened the habit enough to finally kick it.

Only Keith Richards could be seen as relatively clean after he quit junk. Most people that continue to horn coke, smoke continous joints, and drink both day and night are seen as having a problem.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 9, 2011 19:35

24FPS
Only Keith Richards could be seen as relatively clean after he quit junk. Most people that continue to horn coke, smoke continous [sic] joints, and drink both day and night are seen as having a problem.

+1. He switched from being a heroin addict to being an alcoholic.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 9, 2011 19:51

"How Did Keith Kick Heroin?"

He didn't, he did what a lot of junkies do : he replaced the big H with alcohol and blow. In the case of Keith it's giant amounts of alcohol and blow.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 9, 2011 19:56

In the 60 Minutes interview didn't Ronnie state "Keith was too stoned to help him on the '81 tour <Sam Spade>

And the other way around I'am afraid.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 9, 2011 20:31

According to his book I think he tried all possible ways to kick heroin except dying.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 9, 2011 20:39

With two feet, metaphorically speaking of course!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 9, 2011 20:53

dcba
"How Did Keith Kick Heroin?"

He didn't, he did what a lot of junkies do : he replaced the big H with alcohol and blow. In the case of Keith it's giant amounts of alcohol and blow.

I thought he was already doing a lot of coke. It looks like he really kicked up the alcohol. It looks like cigarettes and booze is what's caused the weathering on his face.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 10, 2011 01:40

He didnt quit heroin before 1980, he was not clean on tours but supposedly tried. My guess is he didnt really try but had to undergo some cure to get visas etc.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: November 10, 2011 09:32

Read "Life." After the big Toronto bust Keith used some sort of "black box" treatment where electrodes were clipped to his ears, somehow transmitting electronic signals that reduced the withdrawals and cravings. He relapsed a few times after that, but claims he eventually kicked it for good. Of course he never was really "drug-free." He continued to do huge amounts of coke, weed, and alcohol. I was surprised to learn he was still doing coke up to the Bigger Bang Tour when he got the head injury and was told if he didn't stop, that stuff could kill him.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 10, 2011 09:36

Munichhilton
seitan
he was also alcoholic

Was?

Have you read LIFE yet?

Yes I have, and I love the book.
With so much talk about his drinkin over the years, it´s clear that he´s been drinkin way too much, I would say that he was an alcoholic.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:00

The most recent interview I've read with keith - I think it was in GQ - he claims he's cut back extremely on his drinking at the request of his wife. He claims he's down to just 2 or 3 drinks in the evening. Guess those of us who don't live with him will have to just guess if he's being honest.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:42

stonesdan60
Read "Life." After the big Toronto bust Keith used some sort of "black box" treatment where electrodes were clipped to his ears, somehow transmitting electronic signals that reduced the withdrawals and cravings. He relapsed a few times after that, but claims he eventually kicked it for good. Of course he never was really "drug-free." He continued to do huge amounts of coke, weed, and alcohol. I was surprised to learn he was still doing coke up to the Bigger Bang Tour when he got the head injury and was told if he didn't stop, that stuff could kill him.

He did the black box, but relapsed many times, at least till late 1980. Keith shooting up with Jim Carrol was in 1980, right? i think he wrote about that in Life as well.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:52

stonesdan60

Yes, but the black box didnt work, he didnt quit, he quit two/three years later, the real cold turkey was in late 1979, early 1980. I guess the real cure took place sometime in the summer of 1979 and relapses probably occured up until 1981. He was on methadone when he played with Jim Carroll 1980. The black box is a cool story but he didnt quit with a box. He used it to try and clean up before the 1978 tour but still he did H on the tour. I believe the total change in 1981 has to do with it being the first tour when he wasnt on heroin. And this may very well have to do with Patti. Not being with Anita and Patti being the opposite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 12:03 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: November 10, 2011 12:07

DandelionPowderman
stonesdan60

He did the black box, but relapsed many times, at least till late 1980. Keith shooting up with Jim Carrol was in 1980, right? i think he wrote about that in Life as well.

Yeah that sounds right. He even looks like he's on H in 1980 but there seems to be a total (well...) change in 1981. Touring in 1981 would be a turning point. That makes sense. He has to be clean and he's living with a very clean Christian(?) girl. No choice but to stay clean. I used to believe he got busted in 1977 and then just quit with the help of a box. I understand why the PR camp had to project this story and image because things looked really serious for him and the band.

Date: November 10, 2011 12:12

On some photos and clips from the 1981 tour Keith looks high on H, but theres no proof of that. Keith connecting with his father even bringing him on tour indicates major personal changes and major influence from Patti's family.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 7, 2011 20:39

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 7, 2011 20:55

Didn't he supposedly relapse on the Voodoo tour, or was it bRidges?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 7, 2011 20:56

.....with both feet??? .... awww no that was authority....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 7, 2011 21:38

71Tele

He was asked in a fans' questionaire in Q Magazine around '98-99 when he last tried heroin and he said that someone gave him some to try just after the start of the tour (ie, late 1997), but that it didnt do anything for him anymore and that it was a one-off.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: December 7, 2011 22:44

Gazza
71Tele

He was asked in a fans' questionaire in Q Magazine around '98-99 when he last tried heroin and he said that someone gave him some to try just after the start of the tour (ie, late 1997), but that it didnt do anything for him anymore and that it was a one-off.

I remember that. It was to "test myself." But he experienced only the aspects of the high that he didn't like: itching, for instance. Classic.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: December 7, 2011 22:48

I think his dumping of Anita was a part of the way to get out of that life style, he had to choose between his two loves; Anita (and everything that goes with that) or the Roling Stones, he choose for the latter. He proberly doesn't write that in Life, but i'm sure it is no coincidence that the two events went hand in hand.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 7, 2011 23:48

24FPS
Most people that continue to horn coke, smoke continous joints, and drink both day and night are seen as having a problem.

Don't talk about most of our fine members here at our rehab site. smoking smileydrinking smiley

Date: December 8, 2011 00:00

Mel Belli
Gazza
71Tele

I remember that. It was to "test myself." But he experienced only the aspects of the high that he didn't like: itching, for instance. Classic.

I wouldnt be too surprised if he, a wealthy protected man has dabbled more than in 1997/1998 after the 1980 clean up.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 8, 2011 00:55

Gazza
71Tele

I have a hunch he did it with one of the Blues Travelers, possibly the one who died of OD... [en.wikipedia.org])

Date: December 8, 2011 01:10

Article

Maybe Keith had a real relapse during that fight with Patti (1997?). Anita even commented on it.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: December 8, 2011 06:37

Redhotcarpet

Maybe Keith had a real relapse during that fight with Patti (1997?). Anita even commented on it.

I have never heard of this, can you tell more ?

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home