Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Chuck - The new Chuck Berry Album
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 22, 2017 06:44

NEW CHUCK BERRY ALBUM ‘CHUCK’ SET FOR JUNE 16 RELEASE ON DUALTONE RECORDS
ST. LOUIS, MO — MARCH 22, 2017 — Dualtone Records (an Entertainment One Company), has set a June 16 release date for ‘CHUCK,’ the final album and first new recordings in nearly four decades by founding rock and roll legend Chuck Berry, who passed away last week at the age of 90.
Comprised of ten new recordings, eight of which were written by Berry, ‘CHUCK’ is his first new album since 1979’s ‘Rock It.’ It was recorded and produced by Berry in various studios around St. Louis and features his longtime hometown backing group - including his children Charles Berry Jr. (guitar) and Ingrid Berry (vocals, harmonica), plus Jimmy Marsala (Berry’s bassist for forty years), Robert Lohr (piano), and Keith Robinson (drums) - which supported him for nearly two decades on over two hundred residency shows at the famed Blueberry Hill club. The album also includes guest performances from Gary Clark Jr., Tom Morello, Nathaniel Rateliff, and Chuck’s grandson Charles Berry III. Acclaimed author and historian Douglas Brinkley contributes liner notes.
Both Morello and Rateliff appear on album track “Big Boys,” which Brinkley calls “a guitar player’s national anthem” in his notes.
“Working to prepare the release of this record in recent months and in fact over the last several years brought him a great sense of joy and satisfaction,” the Berry family said in a statement posted to Facebook earlier this week. “While our hearts are very heavy at this time, we know that he had no greater wish than to see this album released to the world, and we know of no better way to celebrate and remember his 90 years of life than through his music.”
Some of the songs on ‘CHUCK’ were originally conceived as far back as the 1980s, with Berry developing them in his home studio in St. Louis over many years during down time between tours. He worked on the album through 2014. When health concerns forced him to stop touring and recording in 2015, Berry continued to oversee production and planning for ‘CHUCK,’ enlisting his family and close friend Joe Edwards, the owner of Blueberry Hill, to fulfill his wishes that the album be completed and released. And from album highlight “Lady B. Goode,” a spiritual sequel to the iconic “Johnny B. Goode” featuring ripping solos from three generations of Berry guitarists, to the poignant country balladry of “Darlin’,” a duet with his daughter Ingrid, ‘CHUCK’ truly is a family affair.
“Working on my Dad's record has been one of the best experiences of my life,” said Charles Berry Jr. “I will forever treasure the musical conversations we had, and the time we spent together completing it.”
Chuck Berry’s passing on March 18, prompted an outpouring of support and condolences from fans, fellow musicians, and world leaders – from members of The Rolling Stones and Beatles, to former presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton. Rolling Stone claimed that Berry “defined rock & roll during it’s early years and for decades to come.” The New York Times called Berry rock’s “master theorist and conceptual genius, the songwriter who understood what the kids wanted before they knew themselves,” adding that after 60 years, his earliest music “still sounds reckless and audacious.”

‘CHUCK’ Track List:

“Wonderful Woman”
“Big Boys”
“You Go To My Head”
“3/4 Time (Enchiladas)”
“Darlin’”
“Lady B. Goode”
“She Still Loves You”
“Jamaica Moon”
“Dutchman”
“Eyes Of Man”

Big Boys: [www.vevo.com]

Re: OT: Chuck - The new Chuck Berry Album
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 22, 2017 14:41

Tom Morello ???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 22, 2017 14:57

KeithNacho
Tom Morello ???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He plays on the track posted above.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 22, 2017 16:11

Morello plays on "Big Boys." I'm guessing all of the guitar parts. The riffs are Chuck Berry 101 played to absolute perfection by, I assume, Morello. They're too clean and spot-on to be the Chuck in his eighties who essentially rambled through shows. The lead near the end is definitely Morello in that it has his sort of static, gunfire sort of feel.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 22, 2017 17:09

See also here: [www.guitarplayer.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 22, 2017 17:28

Good song...it's the Berry blueprint through and through, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2017 17:31

The timing of this single release seems a bit distasteful imo.

RIP Chuck.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 22, 2017 17:34

Hairball

RIP Chuck.

It couldn't be more perfect as far as I'm concerned (except of course if released before he died). Actually I'm upset that we have to wait for June for the complete album.

Date: March 22, 2017 17:42

LeonidP
Hairball

RIP Chuck.

It couldn't be more perfect as far as I'm concerned (except of course if released before he died). Actually I'm upset that we have to wait for June for the complete album.

I suppose it depends on the circumstances - wondering if Chuck approved.
If not, seems like a cash in. Wondering why it wasn't released why he was still alive so he could see the 'success'?

Date: March 22, 2017 17:58

Hairball
LeonidP
Hairball

RIP Chuck.

If not, seems like a cash in. Wondering why it wasn't released why he was still alive so he could see the 'success'?

Certainly he approved ... it was announced months ago, well before he was sick. He was looking forward to it, it is a tribute album to his wife.

Date: March 22, 2017 18:28

rbk
Morello plays on "Big Boys." I'm guessing all of the guitar parts. The riffs are Chuck Berry 101 played to absolute perfection by, I assume, Morello. They're too clean and spot-on to be the Chuck in his eighties who essentially rambled through shows. The lead near the end is definitely Morello in that it has his sort of static, gunfire sort of feel.

Left channel is Chuck.

Date: March 22, 2017 18:31

LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP
Hairball

RIP Chuck.

Certainly he approved ... it was announced months ago, well before he was sick. He was looking forward to it, it is a tribute album to his wife.

I know that the album was announced months ago, but prior to his death was the single ever announced to be released yesterday? Did Chuck ever say the album was going to be released in June?
Seems peculiar that within days of his passing - while eulogies are still being written and people are still grieving - there's a new single to be purchased, and the new album is being advertised.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 22, 2017 18:49

The single sounds great, I am really looking forward to the album!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 22, 2017 19:45

Bare in mind man, the wheels were already rolling and my father famously always wanted to stick to the contract.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 22, 2017 19:57

Condolences to your family, CBII

Date: March 22, 2017 20:02

rbk

I must respectfully correct you my friend. Everything coming from a 1978 ES-355, 1972 ES-345 or 1960 ES-345 were created and played by my dad. As previous and posted press releases said dad worked on this stuff for a very long time.

Its truth, it's real and that's fact (paraphrasing dad).

CBII

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 22, 2017 20:43

We need to support this album. It's the King boys...

Date: March 22, 2017 20:56

CBII
Bare in mind man, the wheels were already rolling and my father famously always wanted to stick to the contract.

Sorry I am a little slow, just realized who you are -- I would also like to pass on my sympathies to you & your family! CB is a true legend as you certainly are aware, and I've been looking forward to this release since it was announced!

Date: March 22, 2017 21:06

CBII
rbk

I must respectfully correct you my friend. Everything coming from a 1978 ES-355, 1972 ES-345 or 1960 ES-345 were created and played by my dad. As previous and posted press releases said dad worked on this stuff for a very long time.

Hi CBII,
just curious, are there songs from 'Rock It' sessions?

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 22, 2017 21:12

CBII
rbk

If so I GLADLY stand corrected! :-)

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 22, 2017 21:58

CBII

My condolences to you and your family. I got lucky enough to see Chuck in my hometown of Rochester NY (1980's or early 1990's?) and I was instantly transported back to my youth (like I was a little kid all over again).
I think it is great that we are getting a new Chuck Berry album and I like the new cut off of it.

Date: March 22, 2017 23:24

LeonidP
CBII

Sorry I am a little slow, just realized who you are -- I would also like to pass on my sympathies to you & your family! CB is a true legend as you certainly are aware, and I've been looking forward to this release since it was announced!

Thanks. We have been dealing with his passing hour by hour.

CBII

Date: March 22, 2017 23:25

schillid
Condolences to your family, CBII

Thank you.

CBII

Date: March 22, 2017 23:30

KRiffhard
CBII
rbk

Hi CBII,

Bits and pieces reach back to around that time but Dad had to start over when a fire destroyed the studio in 1989. All the new recorded material has is 24 track roots starting around 1991.

Date: March 22, 2017 23:32

rbk
CBII
rbk

If so I GLADLY stand corrected! :-)

It's the real deal.

CBII

Date: March 22, 2017 23:42

CBII
KRiffhard
CBII
rbk

Hi CBII,

Bits and pieces reach back to around that time but Dad had to start over when a fire destroyed the studio in 1989. All the new recorded material has is 24 track roots starting around 1991.

Many thanks CBII.

Date: March 22, 2017 23:52

Sorry about your dad, CB11. I met your sister at a show she and her band performed in St. Louis circa 2012. They were fantastic. I can't wait to get the new Chuck album. What a legacy.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 22, 2017 23:55

He died and five days later there's suddenly a release date? Perverted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-23 00:06 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 23, 2017 00:04

Happy24
The single sounds great, really looking forward to the album!

thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 23, 2017 00:06

RipThisBone
Happy24
The single sounds great, really looking forward to the album!

thumbs up
thumbs upthumbs up

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1377
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home