Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: Chuck - The new Chuck Berry Album
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: May 20, 2017 05:52

Meet the new Chuck. Same as the old Chuck.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 20, 2017 21:38

Is there a color version of the video? I'm asking because there's a color icon for the video, which is black and white. Great video by the way. Great seeing Steve Jordan on drums.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 20, 2017 22:01

frankotero
Is there a color version of the video? I'm asking because there's a color icon for the video, which is black and white. Great video by the way. Great seeing Steve Jordan on drums.

The first 20+ seconds are in B&W but then it turns to color throughout the whole video, at least for me.

Date: May 20, 2017 22:15

Holy cow, silly me. Watched it once and thought the whole thing was black and white from memory. Guess I need to watch it a few more times. Hopefully there will be another video from the new album. So far I'm really digging the 2 songs. Not much longer to get the rest on a proper red vinyl.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 20, 2017 22:53

I'm just curious ow much actual guitar playing did Chuck do on this release? In recent years, his live work was horrible. I know he's a legend and all but still...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 20, 2017 23:50

HonkeyTonkFlash
I'm just curious ow much actual guitar playing did Chuck do on this release? In recent years, his live work was horrible. I know he's a legend and all but still...

Yes, I remember reading some of the reviews and it seemed the concerts were pretty wretched (according to the reviewers).
Couldn't retire gracefully I guess.
Pity it took so long to deliver another album however.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 21, 2017 17:31

jlowe
HonkeyTonkFlash

Yes, I remember reading some of the reviews and it seemed the concerts were pretty wretched (according to the reviewers).

Much of this I understand was recorded over the last 20 years, and probably a lot of it earlier than later I'm guessing.

Chuck seemed to make no bones about his performances (more about his voice being gone) not being what they once were but he put it out there and said if people still wanted to come see me I'd be happy to show up and do my best.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 21, 2017 20:10

kovach
jlowe
HonkeyTonkFlash

Much of this I understand was recorded over the last 20 years, and probably a lot of it earlier than later I'm guessing.

Chuck seemed to make no bones about his performances (more about his voice being gone) not being what they once were but he put it out there and said if people still wanted to come see me I'd be happy to show up and do my best.

Correct on all counts Kovach. Pretty sure I've mentioned here on IORR in the past about dad having a vast amount of new material after "Rockit" was released in 1979 just for his studio at Berrypark to be destroyed by fire 1989 (along with all the 2" Ampex 456 tapes. He began recreating and came up with new material, that took a long time. You guys now after Hail Hail Rock and Roll came out dad stayed busy touring. He had several other business ventures that also kept him busy. Studio time here and there until "let's get this one out the door".

Indeed, over twenty plus years in his own studio. There were plenty of tracks for these songs to choose from (with a MCI JH-636 mixing console and Sony APR-24 tape machine) multiple takes were possible and picking the best was easy. He jumped on Pro tools around 2005 after the APR-24 started clowning and then the hard drive on the Pro tools machine crashed HARD. Gee great! Finally the thing was done then shopping for a label, getting a agreement blah, blah, blah...

No question, my dad knew time waited for no one and the physical limitations time puts on a person's body. He just kept retirement at bay for as long as he could and even when that winter break started back in 2014, he was itching to get back on stage but his focus was on "Chuck". Could he see further into the future than the rest of us is anyone's guess but when he told my mom, my sisters, Jimmy, friend Joe Edwards, engineer Dave and myself "help me get this one released" we went to work.

This New LP is real deal Chuck Berry without a bunch of gimmicks. Its the same sidemen that traveled the world with him and did 200 plus shows at Blueberry Hill in Saint Louis as dad called us "The Blueberry Hill". Four guest performers performers (one being my son on Wonderful Woman and Lady B.Goode playing guitar).

Just wish he got to see the positive response some many have given.

CBII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-21 23:51 by CBII.

Date: May 21, 2017 20:11

Doh! I I think I just gave away a song title, oops!

CBII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-21 20:12 by CBII.

Date: May 21, 2017 20:21

Thanks CBII for the in-depth info. I believe we're going to love this record. Real sorry your Dad isn't around to hear our forthcoming praises. Sure do appreciate him laying down some new music for us in this time of history. Who would of thought it could last this long! I remember my Grandmother telling me in the late 70's telling me Rock and Roll was a flash in the pan kind of music. Well, to her I suppose it was since her thing was big band and swing being from that generation and all. Anyhow I'm happy my favorite music remains with me through my childhood times. My Uncle introduced me to The Beatles when I was around 4 years old in 1967. Still digging it hard core!

Date: May 24, 2017 15:59

CBII

grinning smiley

Chuck Berry - Lady B. Goode

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 24, 2017 16:04

Cristiano Radtke
CBII

grinning smiley

Chuck Berry - Lady B. Goode

Waahhh... "The Uploader Has Not Made This Content Available In Your Country"

Bummer. After reading some of the crap in the Manchester thread, it would have been nice to be able to reset with some new Chuck.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 24, 2017 20:07

Mojo magazine - July 2017

Date: May 24, 2017 23:44

Oh yeah, another great tune. Only 3 more Fridays until the full album!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 4, 2017 04:38

I'm thinking of going w/ the Vinyl and T-shirt

... and hoping there's an early leak! June 16th is still too far off.

(just checked, no leak yet)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 4, 2017 07:41

Of the songs I've heard so far, it sounds like a fitting farewell.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 4, 2017 11:21

Yep, I'm loving all 3 songs released. We don't have too much longer to wait, it's released this Friday the 9th. I bought the vinyl super deluxe box and will buy the CD separately after work on Friday. Then of course there will be a celebration in my house with loud Rock And Roll and plenty of Wine and/or Beer!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 5, 2017 19:40

Now streaming here on NPR : [www.npr.org]

If you're outside the US, drop me a line via my profile and I can probably help ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 5, 2017 20:41

gotdablouse
Now streaming here on NPR : [www.npr.org]

If you're outside the US, drop me a line via my profile and I can probably help ;-)

Great, thank you! I'm listening right now.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 5, 2017 21:53

Getting it on Friday so I only skipped thru.

10 songs, 35 minutes. Just the way most rock n' roll albums should be these days.

Date: June 6, 2017 07:05

Maindefender I agree 100% with you! Also decided to wait until Friday, well I'm going to try real hard anyway.

Date: June 6, 2017 17:08

Well that wasn't long I suppose, couldn't wait and heard it. There's a lot I could say but I feel it's better to wait and let everyone form their own opinion. CBII if you're reading this I would love to shake your hand and give you and Ingrid a hug, very nice touch at the end of Darlin'. There's so much to dissect here. However some would say it's Rock And Roll and shouldn't be over analyzed. Nice job Chuck Berry!!! Thank You very much for this parting gift and I hope you can feel the love! Wish I could see you smilingsmiling smiley

Date: June 8, 2017 17:44

Date: June 9, 2017 10:08

Got the CD last night and loving it. A perfect Swan Song in my opinion, considering his age. There's even a few bum notes on the live song for people to mull over. But seriously there's some great Rock and Roll on this record. Most fans should find this very enjoyable.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: June 9, 2017 10:23

Love it...too bad I didn't get the red vinyl though....

Date: June 9, 2017 12:50

Sounds excellent! thumbs up

EDIT: Enchilladas is WAY louder than the other tracks - mastering?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 12:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 9, 2017 14:14

frankotero
Got the CD last night and loving it. A perfect Swan Song in my opinion, considering his age. There's even a few bum notes on the live song for people to mull over. But seriously there's some great Rock and Roll on this record. Most fans should find this very enjoyable.

They (Dualtone) asked about fixing the slipped pull and a missed note on 3/4 time. We told them "No leave it" in keeping with "That's how Chuck Berry Played It" live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 14:23 by CBII.

Date: June 9, 2017 14:19

thumbs up

Date: June 9, 2017 14:59

CBII, at first I was a bit put off by it. Then after thinking about it I believe it matches the song. As I'm further discovering the album I'm really digging the 2 last songs. My early pick as the stand out track is Big Boys.

Date: June 9, 2017 15:05

I really liked «Dutchman» – it was different and cool!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home