Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: I Guess "Hell Has Froze ove Twice"
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 19, 2017 14:01

Yes indeed the Egagles are mostly boring. But Mr. Lebowski has gone too far in my opinion. No matter what one might think of The Eagles, the Doolin-Dalton-album is great, a masterpiece and way better than the very last CCR-albums.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 19, 2017 16:42

HMS
way better than the very last CCR-albums.

Not sure how that has anything to do with anything.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 19, 2017 17:30

RollingFreak
HMS

Only because of Mr. Lebowski´s fondness for CCR.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: May 19, 2017 17:32

Rocky Dijon
schwonek
I wrote that message too and then deleted it. I thought - let him have his Eagles moment in our forum.

That's a funny line. I like that a lot.

I respect Eagles fans in a post-BIG LEBOWSKI world. It can't be easy for them.
Eagles James Taylor Jackson Browne ----- ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Date: May 19, 2017 19:04

HMS
RollingFreak
HMS

Only because of Mr. Lebowski´s fondness for CCR.

Ah. My apologies. In my attempt to be an ahole I end with egg on my face for never having seen Lebowski. Thats on me, I get yelled at regularly for never having seen it.

Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac and Eagles
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 19, 2017 20:11

Yeah sure the Eagles are mostly boring .does one never get a clue .Jeez look up all the hits ,they are enough Eagles hits to fill up a jukebox .Such rubbish to disparage a fine group like the Eagles

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: May 19, 2017 20:13

The DUDE ABIDES.......

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: May 20, 2017 10:22

The eagles suck... always have... always will

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: May 20, 2017 10:23

The Dude was 100% spot on

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2017 10:29

I hear they've written a new song titled:

"Take it easy, in the long run there's a new kid in town (I can't tell you why)".

winking smiley

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 21, 2017 06:36

HMS
Yes indeed the Egagles are mostly boring. But Mr. Lebowski has gone too far in my opinion. No matter what one might think of The Eagles, the Doolin-Dalton-album is great, a masterpiece and way better than the very last CCR-albums.

The only bad CCR album, IMO, is Mardi Gras. I don't really count that one because at that point Fogerty had run his brother out of the band and, in response to the others bitching, allowed each member equal songwriting duties with full knowledge that it would suck, which it did. Thus ended one of the great American bands. Like the aforementioned Dude, I prefer Creedence!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 21, 2017 17:36

Ross
HMS

The only bad CCR album, IMO, is Mardi Gras. I don't really count that one because at that point Fogerty had run his brother out of the band and, in response to the others bitching, allowed each member equal songwriting duties with full knowledge that it would suck, which it did. Thus ended one of the great American bands. Like the aforementioned Dude, I prefer Creedence!

Yes, Sweet Hitchhiker I think was the only good song on that album. And John Fogerty I think intentionally did that to prove a point and end the band.

Apparently they all wanted equal share in all the money and he basically said fine, then write your own songs, sing your own songs, produce your own songs. mix your own songs...and that's how it turned out.

Date: June 2, 2017 06:00

The Eagles call on family — and Vince Gill — to carry on without Glenn Frey for Classic West-East shows

GILL

Can an iconic rock band that’s lost a key member continue? Or should it?

Founding members of the Who — Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey — have kept that band alive despite the deaths of drummer Keith Moon in 1978 and of bassist John Entwistle in 2002. The Grateful Dead essentially retired that band’s name after lead guitarist Jerry Garcia died in 1995. Queen has found new life and new fans touring with “American Idol” alum Adam Lambert singing the parts originally voiced by Freddie Mercury, who died in 1991. And now the Eagles are about to fly again without a musician widely viewed as its leader and chief musical architect. Surviving members have turned to one family member and one longtime friend to help it through this transition: Deacon Frey, the 24-year-old son of Eagles co-founder Glenn Frey, who died last year, and country music star Vince Gill.

The quintessential Southern California country rock ensemble formed in the early 1970s in Los Angeles and is set to headline a two-pronged, bicoastal festival: Classic West and Classic East, alongside Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Earth Wind & Fire, the Doobie Brothers and Journey. Deacon Frey and Gill will divvy up lead vocals on the songs Glenn Frey sang with the Eagles.

“While I was still in shock during some interviews after Glenn passed away, I did say that I thought that was the end of the band,” Don Henley, 69, said recently after rehearsals for the upcoming festivals, set for July 15 and 16 at Dodger Stadium and July 29 and 30 at Citi Field in New York. “But I reserve the right to change my mind. Ralph Waldo Emerson said, ‘A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.’”
To hear Henley — and Gill — tell it, it’s the prospect of keeping Frey’s songs alive that has motivated the decision to move forward. “In my mind, I always thought I’d have made a good Eagle,” said a smiling Gill, whose 21 Grammy Awards make him the most awarded male country artist in Grammy history.Sitting in the same backstage dressing room next to Henley and Deacon Frey, he continued, “But in a million years, I never would have seen this coming. It’s pretty surreal. I turned 60 recently, and to get to be a part of this amazing legacy of songs, that’s the greatest part of all this for me” Deacon Frey performed some of his father’s songs at a private memorial service held not long after Glenn died Jan. 18, 2016, at age 67 from a combination of rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia.
“After he saw Deacon at that service, Don always said that ‘If there’s ever going to be a gig for all of us, I would want Deacon to be part of it,’ ” Irving Azoff, the Eagles’ longtime manager, said in a separate interview. “It was the natural thing.”

The idea of Gill came up when he was at the Kennedy Center Honors program in December saluting the Eagles.
“I think with Glenn’s passing, there was also a natural legion of Eagles fans out there who weren’t ready to let go,” Azoff said. “To me, the fans and the legacy and everything was saying, ‘It doesn’t have to be over.’”
Henley said he’s heard more positive than negative response since word first surfaced earlier this year about the Azoff-designed Classic West and East festivals.
“Bringing Deacon in was my idea,” Henley said. “I think of the guild system, which in both Eastern and Western cultures is a centuries-old tradition of the father passing down the trade to his son, and to me, that makes perfect moral and ethical sense. The primary thing is I think Glenn would be good with it — with both of these guys. I think he’d go, ‘That’s the perfect way to do this.’ ”

The strong family factor is impossible to miss. “They came to me with the idea, and it’s been really great,” Deacon Frey said. “You guys are like my uncles. It’s another family we would have been missing [if the band did not continue].”Deacon said he grew up singing the songs of his father. “The first songs I learned on guitar were ‘Take It Easy’ and ‘Peaceful Easy Feeling.’ He was always very supportive and very encouraging of my music and my love for music. He got me a guitar when I was 7—a baby Taylor.” His mother, Cindy Frey, was beaming after seeing her son emerge from his first major interview following the rehearsal. Not surprisingly, given what a sports hound Glenn Frey was throughout his life, she turned to a baseball metaphor to capture the moment.“Every day you show up and they give you a new ball,” she said. Added Henley, “He doesn’t have to do this forever. Someday, if he decides to write his own songs and have his own band, we’ll be the first to support him. But this is a good way to break in.”

Much about the Eagles version 2017 still hasn’t been finalized. Henley described the upcoming festival appearances as “experiments.” “We’re just going to see how it goes,” he said. “We have every reason to believe it’ll go just fine. Then it’s Irving’s ball.” Likewise, Henley said no decisions had been made to record, broadcast or stream any of the July shows for immediate or future artistic or commercial gain. “There’s a lot of pressure on us right now,” he said. “We’re not too keen on adding to that pressure. I’m sure Irving is going to bring it up at some point… I’m not saying that’s not going to happen. I’m just saying nobody’s brought it up yet.”

More tickets are being released for the shows now that the stage designs have been finished. Azoff said they’re also making available single-day tickets after initially having sold only weekend passes. Those will go on sale June 5.Many have cited Goldenvoice’s 2016 Desert Trip festival, which featured Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and more as setting the template for the Classic West and East shows.
“The Eagles and I have been having conversations about doing something with Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan and others at some point in a festival situation long before Desert Trip,” Azoff said. “But I can’t say that Desert Trip didn’t validate the idea.”

For now, no one has committed yet to a Classic Eastern Seaboard version, Classic Northwest or Classic Upper Midwest counterpart.All that hinges on how all parties feel about reviving the Eagles without the man who helped the group first take flight.“People want to hear these songs played live, by the band that recorded them — and not by a tribute band,” Henley said. “God knows, there are enough of those. And even though it’s not exactly the same band, they want to hear the songs. “I think we’re doing it in a highly ethical manner that I think Glenn would approve of. That’s important to me, it’s important to Glenn’s family. If there are some detractors, then there are some detractors. I’m not going to spend a lot of time defending this, because I don’t see anything wrong with it. I think we’re carrying on a family tradition in a very family type way".

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 2, 2017 07:30

Ugh. Don Henley should be ashamed, as should the rest if the band, including Vince Gill. Cindy Frey is BFF's with Kris Jenner, the Kardashian clan matriarch, so perhaps it isn't that surprising on her part. I doubt she runs very deep. Deacon Frey should make a career for himself first before letting mommy decide for him.

Date: June 2, 2017 08:53

marianna
Ugh. Don Henley should be ashamed, as should the rest if the band, including Vince Gill. Cindy Frey is BFF's with Kris Jenner, the Kardashian clan matriarch, so perhaps it isn't that surprising on her part. I doubt she runs very deep. Deacon Frey should make a career for himself first before letting mommy decide for him.

why are we throwing vince gill under the bus? he was friends with these guys and has a history in the country rock genre

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 2, 2017 13:06

I think Don Henley and Irving Azoff should be honest and say that the Eagles do not want to retire and want to continue to work and get paid and make money which at the end of the day that is what it is all about and that is okay and not against the law but don't make it out to be all of this sentimental nonsense .

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 2, 2017 13:17

I prefer whem Stevie Nicks simply sings and not screams such as song Landslide. Also I went to a Don Henley concert back in 1997? at an amphitheater in Raleigh. I left impressed. End of the Innocence is a winner.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 2, 2017 15:41

keefriffhard4life
marianna

why are we throwing vince gill under the bus? he was friends with these guys and has a history in the country rock genre

Agreed... I can't think of a single reason to oppose Vince Gill sitting in with anyone. But then again, I'm not a member at Westboro Baptist Church. I saw the Eagle with Glen Frey and enjoyed them. I have between zero and no desire to see them without Glen. HOWEVER... If I had a low cost opportunity to see the Eagles with Vince Gill, I'd be more likely to go than the same opportunity without Vince Gill.

My first thought when I heard that Vince was going to be on the show had to do with his vocals when I thought, "wouldn't he be more likely to take Timothy B. Schmidt's parts then Glen Frey's?" As a guitar player, I have little doubt that Gill could replace either Glen's or Joe Walsh's parts. Possibly even the session guy's. Not sure how well Vince has kept his chops up over the years but, back in the day, the man had some serious chops as I remember it.

TheGreek
I think Don Henley and Irving Azoff should be honest and say that the Eagles do not want to retire and want to continue to work and get paid and make money which at the end of the day that is what it is all about and that is okay and not against the law but don't make it out to be all of this sentimental nonsense .

Amen! I couldn't agree more. Although I really don't have a dog in the fight as I've seen 'em and don't care to see 'em again, If the boys wanna play, let 'em play!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 2, 2017 16:45

Don Henley's tour didn't make enough money so he said lets do an Eagles tour. Money grab. He said the Eagles were done after Glenn Frey died, I guess money is what is most important. And people will fall for this crap.

Date: June 2, 2017 17:04

Hound Dog
Don Henley's tour didn't make enough money so he said lets do an Eagles tour. Money grab. He said the Eagles were done after Glenn Frey died, I guess money is what is most important. And people will fall for this crap.

its not even a tour though right now. its 2 shows

Date: June 2, 2017 17:39

"Azoff said they’re also making available single-day tickets after initially having sold only weekend passes. Those will go on sale June 5".

Sounds like a sign of desperation. When tix went on sale, I was thinking maybe a single day pass to see Fleetwood Mac...or Steely Dan (they don't play on the same day!), but all they were selling were weekend passes which were WAY overpriced. I'd be surprised if they sold even half of them. The fact they play on separate days makes it a coin toss between them, and the downside of each day (the other bands) would make it almost miserable. In the end, it just isn't worth it no matter how inexpensive it might be - dealing with giant crowds and traffic around Dodger stadium...ugghh. I saw Steely Dan recently at the small Santa Barbara Bowl, and while it was great in that setting, don't think their show will carry over very well in a giant stadium. Saw Fleetwood Mac twice a couple years ago at the L.A. Forum, and that's good enough for me. If I can get a freebie, I'll think about it, but otherwise I'll live with the memories.

Date: June 3, 2017 00:42

Vince Gill will no doubt sing most of Glenn's songs. Which makes Deacon's presence a fig leaf so they can pass it off as a family tradition.

Barry Gibb had a comeback tour some years ago that included BeeGees songs, but he didn't call it the BeeGees. The Grateful Dead sans Jerry Garcia aren't called the Grateful Dead. It cheapens the legacy to try to pass off a band, minus a key member, by its former name. Call the new band by a new, Eagles-themed name, and it could pass as a new, potentially marketable product.

Date: June 3, 2017 01:03

When Brian Jones left the Stones (a key member to say the least), the band carried on.
When Mick Taylor left the Stones (another key member), the band carried on.
The Allman Brothers carried on multiple times after members either passed away or quit.
Not a fan of Kiss by any means, but they've carried on after losing multiple members.
Neither of those bands' legacy has been tarnished as far as I know.

There's many other examples of bands carrying on with the same name after losing a key member, and for most the legacy wasn't cheapened.
I'm not sure why The Eagles would be any different...yes Glen Frey was a key member, but what makes him any different than Brian Jones?

Date: June 3, 2017 01:32

Brian Jones wasn't the lead singer on any songs, let alone several key hit songs. He also wasn't the emcee of live performances,nor the ultimate lead authority figure of the band. It was Glenn who fired or forced out Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, and Don Felder. Glenn also was the so-called Lone Arranger who had ultimate say-so in song arrangements and vocal harmonies. He was more like the band's Brian Wilson than Brian Jones, though granted, Brian Jones had heavy input to the Stones' early sound and it did start out as his band.

I mean, if Don Henley wants to put himself in the position of Mike Love in the current Wilson-less touring version of the Beach Boys,fine. Mike Love also has the votes of Carl Wilson's family and even Brian Wilson to continue touring as the Beach Boys (in exchange for a portion of tour grosses),but it earns him little respect from the music press or portions of the fan base. Brian Wilson tours under his own name and gets all the acclaim. Don is the one who always liked to be taken seriously, and he's trading that away a bit.

Date: June 3, 2017 04:03

Well you originally said "It cheapens the legacy to try to pass off a band, minus a key member" with "key" being the key word.
You didn't mention being lead singer, emcee, ultimate lead authority, the so called Lone Arranger, etc., etc, etc.
But even with all of that, I don't see a problem with them carrying on the same way so many other bands have done.
If the Stones, Allman Brothers, and Kiss (just to name a few) can do it without "cheapening" their legacy, there's really no reason the Eagles can't do it either.
To be frank , I really couldn't care less about the Eagles anymore, and wouldn't pay a dime to see them (though I do have their greatest hits album),
but I'll let Don Henley make the decision as to whats right for the future of the band. It's his call and just as much his band as it was Glenn Frey's imo.

“I think we’re doing it in a highly ethical manner that I think Glenn would approve of. That’s important to me, it’s important to Glenn’s family.
If there are some detractors, then there are some detractors. I’m not going to spend a lot of time defending this,
because I don’t see anything wrong with it. I think we’re carrying on a family tradition in a very family type way".

- Don Henley, 2017

By the looks of this video, I believe Vince Gill will be a perfect fit! thumbs up
Vince Gill - Peaceful Easy Feeling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-03 04:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 3, 2017 05:22

Hairball
“I think we’re doing it in a highly ethical manner that I think Glenn would approve of. That’s important to me, it’s important to Glenn’s family.
If there are some detractors, then there are some detractors. I’m not going to spend a lot of time defending this,
because I don’t see anything wrong with it. I think we’re carrying on a family tradition in a very family type way".

- Don Henley, 2017

“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band. It would just seem like greed or something...it would seem like a desperate thing.”

- Don Henley, November 2016

IMHO, it's a money grab, plain and simple...Henley almost admitted as much by saying it was up to Azoff from here out (“We’re just going to see how it goes. We have every reason to believe it’ll go just fine. Then it’s Irving’s ball.”) - so if this goes "just fine" (meaning a financial success), expect to see more Eagles activity in the future.

Of course, Henley, Azoff and the rest of them can do whatever they want, and Henley's sudden "change of heart" and rationalizing doesn't surprise me in the least - just glad I saw them three years ago with Glenn.

Date: June 3, 2017 05:37

Could be just a money grab Jah Paul, but he also said regarding the first statement you quoted:

“While I was still in shock during some interviews after Glenn passed away, I did say that I thought that was the end of the band.
But I reserve the right to change my mind. Ralph Waldo Emerson said, ‘A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.’”

But I'm with you, also glad I saw them with Glenn Frey, and while it wasn't the most exciting concert, it was a nice trip down memory lane.
Every one of those greatest hits has a place in my heart for one reason or another. From Desperado, to Take it Easy, to Life in the Fast Lane, to a New Kid in Town (and many more) - all great tunes imothumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-03 05:40 by Hairball.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 3, 2017 06:21

I guess it feels a bit disingenuous because Glenn passed away in January and nearly a year later (in November) Henley was still pretty adamant against a reunion. But I suppose he could have still been "in shock" then - not my place to judge, obviously. Just seems like once they had a good offer on the table for the two summer shows, suddenly it wasn't such a greedy or desperate thing after all, a mere few months later.

I also really enjoyed the Forum show back in 2014...I had never seen them before, so it was a really special experience, with nearly every tune bringing back fond memories.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 3, 2017 17:15

Good move on the Eagles part hiring Vince Gill--- Gill is awesome--- great guitarist and vocalist

Date: June 3, 2017 19:03

mr_dja
My first thought when I heard that Vince was going to be on the show had to do with his vocals when I thought, "wouldn't he be more likely to take Timothy B. Schmidt's parts then Glen Frey's?" As a guitar player, I have little doubt that Gill could replace either Glen's or Joe Walsh's parts. Possibly even the session guy's. Not sure how well Vince has kept his chops up over the years but, back in the day, the man had some serious chops as I remember it.
Vince Gill can still play. He played lead guitar on the Alice Cooper Track Runaway Train on his Welcome 2 My Nightmare album. Song had Alice's original band and Vince on lead guitar. It was really good and I'm not a big Vince fan but he killed it.

Having said that, I still have no interest in these shows and do hope it doesn't work out for the Eagles/those involved with him like Vince. I have no ill will towards any of them. I'd just prefer they be honest as has been said or that they get bitten by trying to get away with too much. But I'm sure the public buys it.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2041
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home