Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: OT: Eagles to play concerts this summer
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 30, 2017 06:05

Pass.

Date: March 30, 2017 06:31

RollingFreak
stone4ever
The Eagles without Glen Frey is a bit like the Stones without Keith. Not interested.

Its exactly like that because he added nothing to the overall sound but was a necessary face to be there.

(love ya Keith, just being honest. I hope you never die)

what the world? frey was very important to the eagles. he sang 1/2 the songs they played live

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 07:01 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 30, 2017 06:50

keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
stone4ever
The Eagles without Glen Frey is a bit like the Stones without Keith. Not interested.

Its exactly like that because he added nothing to the overall sound but was a necessary face to be there.

(love ya Keith, just being honest. I hope you never die)

what the world? frey was very important to the eagles. he dang 1/2 the songs they played live

He didn't but ok. At their last concert he sang 7 out of the 27 songs they played that night. Which is fine, they are huge songs like Take It Easy, Already Gone, Tequila Sunrise. I don't think thats insane to equate his huge hits he sang with the massive riffs Keith plays at Stones shows but whatever. Glenn was responsible for like 1/3 of their shows, which is about how responsible I'd say Keith is at Stones shows. But no, Glenn didn't sing half of their songs live. He used to, but after Hotel California which was 40 years ago its been those two faces but Don is lead singer. Again, Glenn is their second public face and sings a fair amount of their big hits. But there's a lot of the show where he could have just as easily been invisible. Not a diss, I don't know why everyone is taking it that way. Or the Keith thing but thats a whole other argument.

Date: March 30, 2017 07:12

ok sorry. he sang about 1/3 of the setlist that was eagles tunes. either way that's way more than adding nothing.

Date: March 30, 2017 07:35

I personally think you're first and foremost going for Don Henley and probably second for Joe Walsh, while Glenn Frey is probably third. I don't mean he actually contributes nothing, but its well documented they turned more heavily towards Don for vocals and Walsh for guitar. For a majority of the show, Frey didn't do anything. Thats not to say he isn't important, but you could feasibly continue without him. I just don't think you should because he was a leader and primary face of the band. Either way, this has turned into a dumb conversation and I'm sorry I brought it up. Yay Glenn, yay Keith. Everything's great. Woo hoo the Eagles are back on tour! Jump for joy, particularly on Glenn's grave. Meet ya all there.

Date: March 30, 2017 07:58

its not a tour though. its 2 shows. this may be the final 2 shows they ever play and its a nice sendoff for the fans. if one of the stones passed away this year everyone on here would want at least 1 more concert and say the band needs to get a proper sendoff

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2017 08:08

keefriffhard4life
if one of the stones passed away this year everyone on here would want at least 1 more concert and say the band needs to get a proper sendoff

Ummmm...no thank you.
Not everyone thinks that.
It's a horrible idea imo.

Date: March 30, 2017 08:34

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
if one of the stones passed away this year everyone on here would want at least 1 more concert and say the band needs to get a proper sendoff

Ummmm...no thank you.

I bet you if brian jones was still in the band when he died you wouldn't be saying that should have been it.

its not a horrible idea for a band that was still active when a member passed to give the fans a proper sendoff.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2017 08:42

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

Ummmm...no thank you.

I bet you if brian jones was still in the band when he died you wouldn't be saying that should have been it.

its not a horrible idea for a band that was still active when a member passed to give the fans a proper sendoff.

You said "if one of the stones passed away this year"

Not gonna get in a back and forth with you - I stand by my comments above.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: March 30, 2017 08:48

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

Ummmm...no thank you.

I understand that POV but it's bound to happen anyways. It may appear tasteless to some but it’s really the natural order of things.

If Keith dies, Mick wouldn’t be able to ignore the profit margins of a tribute tour and Ronnie would finally get to sing a few numbers. (And let’s not even think about the semi Mick Taylor fans get when they check the obituaries each morning.)
If Mick dies, the Barbarians (aka remaining members of THE ROLLING STONES) go on tour.

Whatever the order of death, these guys will keep on rolling to the very end. That’s what we all do – it’s the way of the world.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 30, 2017 13:27

I like the idea of Fleetwood Mac as all of there members are still rocking and ditto for Steely Dan .The Eagles will be a tribute band featuring Don Henley and Joe Walsh .Would have been better idea if this was a one day event .

Date: March 30, 2017 15:07

If one of the Stones died I would want the band to end immediately. I'm semi-shocked most wouldn't feel the same. We've had enough shows. If one dies, its over. I get that being different 30 or so years ago but at this point it would be very sad and in poor taste if they continued after that, even for one show. IMO. Especially cause none of them would have to die for me to feel that way. They could make an announcement tomorrow saying "the shows we just played over the last 4 years were our last. Goodbye." and I wouldn't be clamoring for one more. But I guess thats me. Closure is good when a band is like Pink Floyd that hasn't playing in 25 years. When they tour pretty regularly I don't get this "farewell tribute for the fans" nonsense. Your closure should be every time you still see them. If someone dies, its no longer the same.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: March 30, 2017 15:27

Well, Paul and Ringo have never gone out as the Beatles by adding two guitar players. Some bands are the sum total of their parts. It's been said the band McCartney leads is the ultimate Beatles tribute band. Hard to argue with that, no matter how hard core of a fan you are. Henley, Walsh and Schmit are just one original Eagle and some of his ultimate tribute buddies. Even if Leadon and Felder appear and Meisner made a miraculous recovery, it wouldn't be the same.

To me, it's telling these shows also feature bands that are literally a fraction of their former selves. Journey without Steve Perry? Then there's the opposite of Journey- the Doobie Brothers, who do still have the singer but not most of the musicians. Earth, Wind and Fire without Maurice White?

As for Steely Dan, what happens if Jeff Baxter and Michael McDonald actually show up for these gigs? Which band do they join? Steely Dan, or the Doobies? Just shows that Steely Dan, while Becker and Fagan, also did not do it all alone.

Just a thought- what's Lynyrd Skynyrd doing this coming July? Touring with Kansas and Styx?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 15:30 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: March 30, 2017 15:30

My first thought was @#$%& Journey! I can get a mad on knowing these guys are in the Rock HOF while many very important 60's groups don't even get a thought. That hall of shame really pisses me off. Saw them open for the Stones in 78 and to say they sucked would be kind.

This proposed show has a whiff of desperation. Fleetwood Mac would be wise to avoid this.

Date: March 30, 2017 15:36

I don't really blame the bands those. There are morons that have gone out and funded these shows. If people didn't go, bands wouldn't think this is a good idea. The Eagles are far from the first band to do this sort of thing, but maybe the biggest so I'm not saying people should avoid them because they are the worst. But if people didn't pay for it it would send a message. At this point, there are concert idiots who still pay to see Journey without Steve Perry or Lynyrd Skynyrd without almost everyone. Again, not saying those bands are bad, they may put on great shows and I've heard Journey still does. But there are too many idiots that pay for these ridiculous shows than there are people criticizing them, so they'll never end. Decide with your wallet. Apparently people have deemed Earth Wind and Fire without Maurice worthy. Its stupid, but thats the world we live in.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 30, 2017 17:41

How much @#$%& money can Don Henley want !? He's got to have, what, $750,000,000 in the bank by now.

Date: March 30, 2017 17:47

Even an off Keith adds tremendously to the overall sound of The Rolling Stones.

He can't help doing that, since he starts most of the songs, is the loudest in the mix and has an extremely idiosyncratic way of playing the guitar.

That you, personally, don't like what he adds to the sound, RollingFreak, is okay, of course. But it's an entirely different thing...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 30, 2017 18:14

I'm sorry but 'EAGLES' being part of these weekends suck the enthusiasm straight out of me. What a @#$%& joke.
I realize that they couldn't call the band 'Don Henley and Friends' because Don doesn't have any but c'mon... 'EAGLES'?!

One night in NYC and One night in L.A. without 'EAGLES' would have been a blast!

Fleetwood Mac
Steely Dan
Journey
The Doobie Brothers
Earth, Wind & Fire

THAT lineup would be fun!

But when you add 'EAGLES' and stretch it to two nights it just becomes an insult.
In my not-so humble opinion.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 30, 2017 18:42

Swayed1967
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

Ummmm...no thank you.

I understand that POV but it's bound to happen anyways. It may appear tasteless to some but it’s really the natural order of things.

If Keith dies, Mick wouldn’t be able to ignore the profit margins of a tribute tour and Ronnie would finally get to sing a few numbers. (And let’s not even think about the semi Mick Taylor fans get when they check the obituaries each morning.)
If Mick dies, the Barbarians (aka remaining members of THE ROLLING STONES) go on tour.

Whatever the order of death, these guys will keep on rolling to the very end. That’s what we all do – it’s the way of the world.

no no nooo

'natural order of things'..?

maybe for some bands or acts..

the Stones don't do things like the Eagles..

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 30, 2017 19:27

This concert sounds awful...and you have to go to America to see it...which is worse?

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 30, 2017 19:28

RollingFreak
These days, Glenn was simply a figurehead of the band. .

did you ever think that maybe he was sick the last few Eagles tours and couldn't perform at his best?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 19:31 by reg thorpe.

Date: March 30, 2017 19:29

duke richardson

Yes they do. They are the two bands that started the price hikes on concert tickets. They are two bands that very similarly gouge every dollar out of fans' pockets. There are a hearty amount of similarity between the two.

But yes, I agree with you that the Stones would't continue without Mick or Keith, whereas apparently Don will continue without Glenn.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 30, 2017 19:32

Didn't Jackson Browne sub for Frey at the first California Jam in '74?

Date: March 30, 2017 19:47

reg thorpe
RollingFreak
These days, Glenn was simply a figurehead of the band. .

did you ever think that maybe he was sick the last few Eagles tours and couldn't perform at his best?

No. He said outright in their documentary the group shifted from being less about him to being more about Don and Joe Walsh's guitar playing.

Date: March 30, 2017 20:21

RollingFreak
duke richardson

Yes they do. They are the two bands that started the price hikes on concert tickets. They are two bands that very similarly gouge every dollar out of fans' pockets. There are a hearty amount of similarity between the two.

But yes, I agree with you that the Stones would't continue without Mick or Keith, whereas apparently Don will continue without Glenn.

no one is forced to go.

i've listened to a lot of music from both bands, way more interested in the Stones, their music, their history, and their way of working.

that both bands' shows began costing more probably had more to do with sharply rising touring costs , therefore a ticket cost more, there may be similarity there, but that happened broadly in the entertainment industry..

Date: March 30, 2017 22:09

duke richardson
RollingFreak
duke richardson

no one is forced to go.

i've listened to a lot of music from both bands, way more interested in the Stones, their music, their history, and their way of working.

that both bands' shows began costing more probably had more to do with sharply rising touring costs , therefore a ticket cost more, there may be similarity there, but that happened broadly in the entertainment industry..

Nope. They were the first and its cause they were greedy bastards. And thats fine, but don't pretend there's another reason.

Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac and Eagles
Date: March 30, 2017 22:24

cool smiley

just out of greed? the Stones?

when did that happen...

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: March 31, 2017 00:58

OMG, crap music festival galore...This "classic west" concert sounds like a snoozefest. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than attend that stinker, and I get in most shows free....Nope.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 31, 2017 00:59

At the Prudential-Center-PPV-concert in 2012 Mick said "People ask us why are you still doing that... The reason is we are doing it FOR YOU". So no greed involved.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 31, 2017 01:09

Kurt

...I realize that they couldn't call the band 'Don Henley and Friends' because Don doesn't have any but...

lol

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home