Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Mick guests on Brad Paisley album "Love And War", out April 21
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 15, 2017 05:56

This is just a super track; I'm so glad to find it here, thank you. Love it.
It's kind of perfect. The playing and production is so sharp and warm; it's just lovely and rocking. Mick does beautifully with those shadow harmonies. This is just super. I'm super happy with Brad in the lead here; he does a wonderful job with the vocals....and Mick does so very well; just beautifully; great sound, played great, sung great. Great production and sounds. Goes down easy with a lot of soul and warmth. Total great track; what a nice surprise...

Don't now who produced this but would nice imo if The Stones had a producer like this; nice natural sounds; no histrionics or super loudness nor compressed and squeezed then artificially electronically fattened then compressed some more till the snare is POP instead of 'crack' with a little meat and flesh in there, metaphorically; just classic basic fine production....they are going to the wrong producer to bring out their best music and sounds imo; and there is a track record that proves this imo, and if they jumped out of that paradigm and had someone who really understood country and rockin' rollin' stuf organically and naturally as a matter of their whole thrust, and there are quite a few grand producers who could do this; they are probably dozens just in Nashville for example, we'd get one hell of a Stones LP for what might be the last studio effort, considering decades go by and there's just one or two, with original songs anyway....
what a great tune and performance.

if Brad wasn't such a superstar I'd love to see him tour with The Stones with Ron on bass & Brad on guitar. Brad's gonna make more money on his own tho, unless they gave him full cut which is not gonna happen ever....

. I'd been listening to Beck Ola yesterday, for the thousanth time, and Ron's bass just blows me away; it's like such a main instrument in all of that groundbreaking ferocious orignal seminal stuff that album breaks out with....

Ron is almost Bill level or something on these tracks. he is digging WAY in and he is free to jazz and meander and pop about with a lot of great runs; and is mixed way up and very present in the whole thing. Ron Wood does not get enough credit for being part of these very, very essential and important truly groundbreaking albums. I hate to make the obvious comparisons, but this is great bass playing; bvery presesnt and original, and in many ways more significant, in an artistic sense, than very much of what he has contributed to The Rolling Stones; of course with some grand exceptions when Ron's guitar has just been spectacular with Stoneage,like Start Me Up or some live shows where he is solid and makes a lot of great things happen....
not to mention that incredible run of dozens of great tracks in Faces, where he was truly a guitar God; ahead of every curve with his sound, his power and melody.

...Lovin' this; not one prob w it. just spectacular. well there's Mick at the end with some solo work right in character for a few lines...then Brad heats it up and they hand it off to each other; this was arranged just beautifully. Totally ace. One of the best things Mick's been part of in forever. five stars.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 06:23 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 15, 2017 06:26

erbissell
Paisley actually played in the whitehouse and flew on Airforce One with Obama, the only thing that bugs me about him is that he's a Teetotaller haha

video: [www.youtube.com]
the only thing that bugs me about him is that his music sucks

Date: April 15, 2017 06:33

Nope he's a really great guitar player. I don't know much of his catalog. I'm suspeting he's had some Cashville slop; I don't know about his career output per se but I've seen him a dozen times on specials or tv appearances live, or live clips, and he's really got a ton of ability and talent. he's one of the best of all the country stars pickers and a lot of the worst of them are better than a lot of the best of the rock and other players imo. Brad's a major talent imo.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 15, 2017 06:36

hopkins
Nope he's a really great guitar player. I don't know much of his catalog. I'm suspeting he's had some Cashville slop; I don't know about his career output per se but I've seen him a dozen times on specials or tv appearances live, or live clips, and he's really got a ton of ability and talent. he's one of the best of all the country stars pickers and a lot of the worst of them are better than a lot of the best of the rock and other players imo. Brad's a major talent imo.

OK, to be more precise, he's a good technical guitar player who plays shitty music

Date: April 15, 2017 12:52

hopkins
It's kind of perfect. The playing and production is so sharp and warm; it's just lovely and rocking. Mick does beautifully with those shadow harmonies. This is just super. I'm super happy with Brad in the lead here; he does a wonderful job with the vocals....and Mick does so very well; just beautifully; great sound, played great, sung great. Great production and sounds. Goes down easy with a lot of soul and warmth. Total great track; what a nice surprise...

Don't now who produced this but would nice imo if The Stones had a producer like this; nice natural sounds; no histrionics or super loudness nor compressed and squeezed then artificially electronically fattened then compressed some more till the snare is POP instead of 'crack' with a little meat and flesh in there, metaphorically; just classic basic fine production....they are going to the wrong producer to bring out their best music and sounds imo; and there is a track record that proves this imo, and if they jumped out of that paradigm and had someone who really understood country and rockin' rollin' stuf organically and naturally as a matter of their whole thrust, and there are quite a few grand producers who could do this; they are probably dozens just in Nashville for example, we'd get one hell of a Stones LP for what might be the last studio effort, considering decades go by and there's just one or two, with original songs anyway....
what a great tune and performance.

if Brad wasn't such a superstar I'd love to see him tour with The Stones with Ron on bass & Brad on guitar. Brad's gonna make more money on his own tho, unless they gave him full cut which is not gonna happen ever....

. I'd been listening to Beck Ola yesterday, for the thousanth time, and Ron's bass just blows me away; it's like such a main instrument in all of that groundbreaking ferocious orignal seminal stuff that album breaks out with....

Ron is almost Bill level or something on these tracks. he is digging WAY in and he is free to jazz and meander and pop about with a lot of great runs; and is mixed way up and very present in the whole thing. Ron Wood does not get enough credit for being part of these very, very essential and important truly groundbreaking albums. I hate to make the obvious comparisons, but this is great bass playing; bvery presesnt and original, and in many ways more significant, in an artistic sense, than very much of what he has contributed to The Rolling Stones; of course with some grand exceptions when Ron's guitar has just been spectacular with Stoneage,like Start Me Up or some live shows where he is solid and makes a lot of great things happen....
not to mention that incredible run of dozens of great tracks in Faces, where he was truly a guitar God; ahead of every curve with his sound, his power and melody.

...Lovin' this; not one prob w it. just spectacular. well there's Mick at the end with some solo work right in character for a few lines...then Brad heats it up and they hand it off to each other; this was arranged just beautifully. Totally ace. One of the best things Mick's been part of in forever. five stars.

Where did you hear it?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 15, 2017 13:39

hopkins

Where here?

Date: April 15, 2017 14:01

bye bye johnny
hopkins

Where here?

Maybe he mistook the Peter Wolf-track for being the new Paisley track?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 16:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 15, 2017 15:46

Peter Wolfe track reminds me of how great a voice Jagger really has and of his stellar backup vox work in his past...Happy, The Worst, Carly Simon....just amazing harmony sometimes...love it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 15, 2017 17:18

Yeah, pretty sure hopkins thought "Nothing But the Wheel" was "Drive of Shame." As far as I know the latter hasn't surfaced yet.

Date: April 15, 2017 22:31

yes I got them confused; thank you for setting me straight; I guess I heard that Wolf cut and thought it was the new Paisley cut w Mick. Pretty lame. eye rolling smiley
I hadn't heard that Wolf cut before and it really was a great surprise, a complete stunner, it was such a nice job. Sorry about the confusion and Thanks for having my back! appreciated. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 22:37 by hopkins.

Date: April 15, 2017 22:51

hopkins
yes I got them confused; thank you for setting me straight; I guess I heard that Wolf cut and thought it was the new Paisley cut w Mick. Pretty lame. eye rolling smiley
I hadn't heard that Wolf cut before and it really was a great surprise, a complete stunner, it was such a nice job. Sorry about the confusion and Thanks for having my back! appreciated. thumbs up

Check out the duet with Keith on the very same album: Too Close Together.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 15, 2017 23:05

Rokyfan
hopkins

OK, to be more precise, he's a good technical guitar player who plays shitty music

That describes how I feel about John Mayer, but millions disagree.

I'm not a fan of Mick singing country. He tends to sound like he's doing a parody.

Date: April 18, 2017 23:48

From the review by Ron Harris of Associated Press:

"Sir Mick Jagger helps him out with stellar vocals on “Drive of Shame,” a raucous twang of a track."

Full review > [www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 19, 2017 14:20

Brad isn't in the best phase of his career. For the last 10 years, he's been struggling. A few good songs/album. A shame for such a talent. And I read that his new album is probably his worst.

But albums like Time Well Wasted or 5th Gear are packed with clever & funny songs.
He shouldn't focus on making hits anymore.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 19, 2017 16:51

marianna
Rokyfan
hopkins

I'm not a fan of Mick singing country. He tends to sound like he's doing a parody.

>>He tends to sound like he's doing a parody.<<

he always has..he really seems to enjoy doing that..

'Dear Doctor' ; 'Far Away Eyes' ; even 'Factory /Glastonbury Girl'..

even if he tries a straight take on a traditional folk tune like 'Long Black Veil', it still sounds kinda campy..

Date: April 19, 2017 16:54

duke richardson
marianna
Rokyfan
hopkins

even if he tries a straight take on a traditional folk tune like 'Long Black Veil', it still sounds kinda campy..

The studio takes of High And Dry and Dead Flowers might feature his most natural country singing?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 19, 2017 17:01

Apologize if this has been mentioned but the title "Drive Of Shame" looks the like song could be tongue and cheek that Mick does well.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 19, 2017 17:29

DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
marianna
Rokyfan
hopkins

The studio takes of High And Dry and Dead Flowers might feature his most natural country singing?

they do. those songs, 'Country Honk', maybe even 'Wild Horses' (with its Nashville stringing) show the unaffected aspect Jagger can deliver if he wants..

still, in Dead Flowers, the " I felt like a hillbilly for a minute...but only for a minute..." type of humor is still there..smiling smiley

Date: April 19, 2017 19:31

duke richardson
DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
marianna
Rokyfan
hopkins

they do. those songs, 'Country Honk', maybe even 'Wild Horses' (with its Nashville stringing) show the unaffected aspect Jagger can deliver if he wants..

still, in Dead Flowers, the " I felt like a hillbilly for a minute...but only for a minute..." type of humor is still there..smiling smiley

Yeah, but by Stripped DF was all pantomime for him smiling smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 19, 2017 20:08

DandelionPowderman
hopkins

Check out the duet with Keith on the very same album: Too Close Together.

Hopkins, based on your reaction to the Wolf/Jagger tune, I highly recommend searching out the recent Peter Wolf solo albums. He is one artist who is continually delivering good music as he ages. They won't remind you of the J Geils band. More roots/Americana for lack of a better description.

Here's a link to the tune DP referred to (KR on guitar and bg-vox I think):

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2017 00:55

Wanna hear Drive Of Shame .........

ROCKMAN

Date: April 20, 2017 15:53

From The Tennessean:

Hanging with Fogerty and Jagger

Mick Jagger, John Fogerty and Timbaland all journeyed to Brad Paisley’s famed yellow studio house in Williamson County to record songs for “Love and War.” Paisley took Fogerty to play on The Grand Ole Opry, where he fit right in. And he took Fogerty and Jagger to Sperry’s Restaurant while they were in town, which, he laughs, stunned their waitress speechless.

“I thought the waitress was going to faint,” Paisley recalled, laughing. “She was about 55 years old who looked like she wasn’t going to make it through the night.”

He said the starstruck waitress struggled to answer Jagger’s questions about their selection of beer, describing it as “something out of a skit.”

“It was hilarious,” Paisley said. “It wasn’t until those guys left that I was like, ‘Holy cow. This is something, being able to do this. What a great fantasy camp (I’m able) to run out here.’”

[www.tennessean.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 20, 2017 18:34

Snippet
[new-country-songs.com]

Sounds great!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 18:35 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2017 18:50

MisterDDDD
Snippet
[new-country-songs.com]

Sounds great!!

Mick sounds good. thumbs up

The song itself sounds typically generic contemporary country though- it's also loud and brash.
Might sound better while at a country/honky tonk bar drinking loads of beer and playing pool.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 20, 2017 18:57

Agree, Hairball.

Glad to hear Mick's voice sounding strong in it, tho.
Not too "twangy" which was my fear.

A video of the recording to follow according to the article.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2017 19:02

I imagine the video will portray a bunch of good old boys at a country/honky tonk bar drinking loads of beer and playing pool.
Then one of them gets turned down by the hot waitress, takes off in his beat up old pickup truck, and heads down the road for the 'Drive of Shame'.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 20, 2017 20:11

sounds awesome...Mick may have a radio hit on his hands....great hook...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 20, 2017 21:26

This could bode well for the new Stones album if something like this goes to another artist. Snippet sounds cool...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 20, 2017 22:11

Mick does a good Keith guitar imitation on the song, very catchy, its already available all over there.

It sounds as bit as a Tumbling Dice of 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 22:15 by georgelicks.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 20, 2017 22:16

Not bad at all.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home