Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Charlie Watts Plots New Big Band Record
Date: March 29, 2017 14:34

MonkeyMan2000
Can you imagine Keith playing guitar in a big band? I don't care, he's still my favorite guitarist...

This one springs to mind smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 29, 2017 14:41

I see what Blueranger means. Charlie is a VERY limited drummer technically.

His Jazz roots are overvalued imo. He plays jazz like he plays rock.

If he has fun with these projects its ok.But he doesn't look that good beside such skilled musicians.

Charlie was good in the Stones and had some great moments like on YaYa's - but a lot of pale performances as well, - live and studio.
The Stones don't need technical wizards.But there are quite a few drummer that would have fit as well.Kenny Jones is one of them.

Date: March 29, 2017 14:52

CousinC

If he has fun with these projects its ok.But he doesn't look that good beside such skilled musicians.

Charlie was good in the Stones and had some great moments like on YaYa's - but a lot of pale performances as well, - live and studio.
The Stones don't need technical wizards.But there are quite a few drummer that would have fit as well.Kenny Jones is one of them.

It's the same for rock, isn't it?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2017 14:56

Wonder what they think of Joey Kramer .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: March 29, 2017 14:59

DandelionPowderman, I love that one. It came to my mind also when I wrote the comment. But Keith certainly didn't have to worry about weird key changes and playing different scales every two measures on that track, it's basically just a very slow blues with horns smileys with beer

Another thought: Can you imagine Keith playing his Malaguena thing on stage with somebody like Paco de Lucia? Would love to see the look on his face when he finds out how you have to pluck the strings in order to play real Flamenco spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 29, 2017 15:02

MonkeyMan2000
DandelionPowderman, I love that one. It came to my mind also when I wrote the comment. But Keith certainly didn't have to worry about weird key changes and playing different scales every two measures on that track, it's basically just a very slow blues with horns smileys with beer

Another thought: Can you imagine Keith playing his Malaguena thing on stage with somebody like Paco de Lucia? Would love to see the look on his face when he finds out how you have to pluck the strings in order to play real Flamenco spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Today it would have been rather comical, I guess smiling smiley

There was a time, though, when Keith could go on stage with anybody, do his thing (no matter what they played) and people would love it anyhow (U2, Lonnie Mack, Jim Carrol you name them)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 29, 2017 15:02

They should be honored that Charlie played with them.

Date: March 29, 2017 15:10

Koen

I'm sure they were, actually.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 29, 2017 15:17

But then where did all that negativity come from?

Date: March 29, 2017 15:26

Koen

Purists who don't play themselves..

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 29, 2017 15:41

Koen

They were honured to play with him, but only because he is a legendary Rolling Stone. Performance-wise it was a near-disaster and if he wasn't who he is, they would have laughed and just showed him where the door is.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 29, 2017 15:46

Incredible thread so far. All I can say is I have preordered my copy.

Can't say I have a critical ear to this genre but I thank Charlie for bring his side projects into my house!! His release with Jim Keltner I like a lot.

Date: March 29, 2017 15:46

Blueranger
Koen

They were honured to play with him, but only because he is a legendary Rolling Stone. Performance-wise it was a near-disaster and if he wasn't who he is, they would have laughed and just showed him where the door is.

Don't forget that within this respect, paving the way for younger rock artists, constantly reminding fans and the press of his love for jazz and his recording legacy is all included – not just his fame.

Date: March 29, 2017 16:53

DandelionPowderman
Koen

I like Charlie. Started to play the drums because of him.
But I don't think you have to be a purist to see these things.

Re: "Charlie Watts meets The Danish Radio Big Band at Concert Hall" to be released
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 30, 2017 01:26

if you dont feel but you measure what you hear you have to be a purist

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 30, 2017 12:42

DandelionPowderman
Koen

thumbs up

..and who are often so far up their own intelectual backsides that they couldn't respond to music on any emotional level if it was played by their own mothers !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 12:44 by Spud.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 30, 2017 13:54

Spud
DandelionPowderman
Koen

thumbs up

..and who are often so far up their own intelectual backsides that they couldn't respond to music on any emotional level if it was played by their own mothers !

smileys with beer
Jeroen

Re: "Charlie Watts meets The Danish Radio Big Band at Concert Hall" to be released
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 30, 2017 14:18

(Satis) Faction can be listened on Spotify: [open.spotify.com]

Date: March 30, 2017 17:13

DandelionPowderman
CousinC

It's the same for rock, isn't it?

Well yeah, lol,thats why you never saw him play with Yes, Deep Purple or Jethro Tull.Just imagine this . .

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 30, 2017 20:10

Rockman
Wonder what they think of Joey Kramer .......

Good one.....

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 30, 2017 21:14

Spud
DandelionPowderman
Koen

thumbs up

See, now it's a 'them vs. us'-thing again, which is not very sophisticated, either. There is nothing wrong with being a purist, just as there is nothing wrong by not being one.

Actually the above comment are signs of someone who can't discuss on an interllectual level and thereby goes on personal 'attacks' instead. Very unsophisticated.

You'll have to discriminate here. Charlie playing alongside technically skilled musicians, and looked upon by someone who doesn't know him or his past, are perfectly right to look at him from their point of view, when they are normally used to hear musicians at a more complex level.

Big Stones-fan here, but just putting people from the jazz-world down, because they think something else than us, is not a very 'grown up' thing to do.

Date: March 30, 2017 21:28

Grown up ?

Hope that never happens grinning smiley

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: March 30, 2017 22:24

Listen to Charlie with the Boogie Woogie Maestros. He plays in a very natural and subtle style. Is this jazz, blues, rock - no it's a fusion and excellent live
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 30, 2017 23:05

Anyone here see Charlie live with his outside projects? I've never heard that he's embarrassed himself or his cohorts.....

Date: March 31, 2017 11:17

Blueranger
Spud
DandelionPowderman
Koen

thumbs up

See, now it's a 'them vs. us'-thing again, which is not very sophisticated, either. There is nothing wrong with being a purist, just as there is nothing wrong by not being one.

Actually the above comment are signs of someone who can't discuss on an interllectual level and thereby goes on personal 'attacks' instead. Very unsophisticated.

You'll have to discriminate here. Charlie playing alongside technically skilled musicians, and looked upon by someone who doesn't know him or his past, are perfectly right to look at him from their point of view, when they are normally used to hear musicians at a more complex level.

Big Stones-fan here, but just putting people from the jazz-world down, because they think something else than us, is not a very 'grown up' thing to do.

I'll respond a bit more sensibly now.

I don't think I'm talking so much about Jazz fans in general...more about music journalism really.

Is Charlie a limited drummer in the context of Jazz.

Of course he is...but in circumstances such as these why do smug sounding reviewers spend so much time talking about how inadequate he thinks Charlie is.

There's a type of journalist who's interested primarily in appearing to be clever and... in any field ...they're annoying winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-31 11:22 by Spud.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 31, 2017 13:38

As I see it.

1 Charlie Watts is a great musician.

2 I perfectly understand why his let's call it "vocabulary" in jazz music appears limited. But assuming, for the sake of discussion, that indeed it is limited, does anybody here seriously believe that it is so because Charlie Watts can't do any better? Of course he can/could!!! As a matter of fact, Charlie's style is what he wants it to be. If he wanted to be a Søren Frost, he could easily have been a Søren Frost. You do not need talent to practice drum rolls. You need talent to produce great music!!!! Søren Frost is not a good drummer because he is technically better than Charlie Watts, but because he plays good music.

3 History has proven that Charlie Watts' choice was right.

4 Charlie Watts cooperation with the Danish Radio Big Band is a musical experiment. And the experiment is not to see if Charlie Watts has undisclosed Søren Frost talents. The experiment is let's put together artists with different background and see what happens.

5 I haven't yet met a jazz drummer or other "technical" drummer (and I know lots of them) who knows Charlie Watts and does not admire him / see the greatness in his drumming

C

p.s. 6 I have met many jazz drummer or other "technical" drummer who THINK they can easily drum like Charlie Watts and in fact cannot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-31 13:41 by liddas.

Date: March 31, 2017 13:53

liddas
As I see it.

1 Charlie Watts is a great musician.

2 I perfectly understand why his let's call it "vocabulary" in jazz music appears limited. But assuming, for the sake of discussion, that indeed it is limited, does anybody here seriously believe that it is so because Charlie Watts can't do any better? Of course he can/could!!! As a matter of fact, Charlie's style is what he wants it to be. If he wanted to be a Søren Frost, he could easily have been a Søren Frost. You do not need talent to practice drum rolls. You need talent to produce great music!!!! Søren Frost is not a good drummer because he is technically better than Charlie Watts, but because he plays good music.

3 History has proven that Charlie Watts' choice was right.

4 Charlie Watts cooperation with the Danish Radio Big Band is a musical experiment. And the experiment is not to see if Charlie Watts has undisclosed Søren Frost talents. The experiment is let's put together artists with different background and see what happens.

5 I haven't yet met a jazz drummer or other "technical" drummer (and I know lots of them) who knows Charlie Watts and does not admire him / see the greatness in his drumming

C

p.s. 6 I have met many jazz drummer or other "technical" drummer who THINK they can easily drum like Charlie Watts and in fact cannot.

thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 12, 2017 22:27

All pics: Gerard Presencer

[www.universal-music.de]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 15, 2017 17:07

Just received the cd today,April 15.
Beautiful sound. Good !!have not listened to it as a whole, but i like it so far.
Jeroen

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 15, 2017 17:29

Typical jazz critique: technique, technics, mashinerism and nothing human.
No word about whether the audience liked it and will visit their Big Band on future occasions because they never bothered about them before...
No word about the song choice - let's compare to Tim Ries doing 'Faction', maybe those hailed Big Bandits fail in comparison?!
A concert review should be about a good night out and not about engineering skills.
Who cares about the car, it's still the driver who's the star.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 17:41 by JJHMick.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home