Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 14, 2017 18:54

tatters
RollingFreak
shadooby
All their stuff has been a snooze fest since Zooropa.

Better than what the Stones have put out since then. Only album since Tattoo You I like from them is A Bigger Bang and thats the one everyone here hates.

I think what we're losing sight of here, when we say that U2 has sucked ever since Achtung Baby or Zooropa, is that by 1993 the members of U2 were all around 32 or 33 years old. Most bands peak in their late 20s, and almost nobody ever makes a great record after the age of 35. For U2 to make a great album, even 20 years ago, would have been a remarkable achievement. To expect them to make an even halfway decent one now is, to say the least, unrealistic.

But its also untrue. All That You Can't Leave Behind was a very big album. It propelled them back into the stratosphere after 10 years of relative "getting by". It has huge hits and is a relatively consistent album all the way through. Might not be everyone's favorite, but to say they haven't put out anything worthwhile since Achtung is just wrong. Thats coming from people actively rooting against them. Without bias, they've made some good music and records since 1992.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 14, 2017 21:37

the show i saw on the 360 tour was amazing. by far the best sounding stadium show i've ever seen. stones included.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: January 14, 2017 23:23

i saw that tour, too. bono uses autotune.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: January 15, 2017 01:34

Their sound live is spot on.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 15, 2017 01:43

sundevil

Autotuned vocals and guitar gimmickry...no thanks.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 15, 2017 03:53

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................. U2?

Goodnight.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 15, 2017 08:12

GasLightStreet
Pecman
I stand by my statement.

The Edge is a magician...not a guitar player.
The amount of effects on the stage at his feet and on top of his amp is ridiculous.

Johnny Ramone and Steve Jones blow him away
because they played from the heart and their fingers...
The Edge plays through technology...a big difference.

Any great song can be played on acoustic guitar or piano...

You can't say that for most U-2 songs

Pecman

Obviously you're not familiar with U2's catalogue since you say something so ignorant like that. Sounds like the ranting of a failed musician that's beyond jealous.

GasLightStreet,

I don't have a jealous bone in my body..jealousy leads to misery...I'll have none of that. But what I don't like...is people saying the Edge is a great guitar player when he is not...he is a guitar effects expert...which inmy opinion makes him have a disconnect with the human listener...what he's playing is coming from technology and not from his heart and soul. That's where I've think they lost their way over the last 13 years.

I equate the Edge to a New Age Musician...and that is just not Rock N Roll.

P.S. I am familiar with the U-2 catalog...I have every album....even the crapy ones over the last decade.

Pecman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-15 08:14 by Pecman.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 15, 2017 10:30

Honestly, who gives a fvck! If you don't like U2 listen to Steet Fighting Man instead and stop whining like a baby. Life is too short for this bull...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 15, 2017 15:33

The Stones
Honestly, who gives a fvck! If you don't like U2 listen to Steet Fighting Man instead and stop whining like a baby. Life is too short for this bull...

If you don't give a fcuk, then stop your whining.....

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 16, 2017 05:27

The Edge is a great guitar player. He plays differently. Would he have his own sound if it weren't for the delay pedal? Would we have an electric guitar if we couldn't plug one in? What is art? Where does creativity begin and end?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 05:41 by Socrates1.

Date: January 16, 2017 09:21

I just saw a clip from the old Letterman show of Bono and Edge on there; sitting in the seats with one acoustic guitar, and playing the entire song "Stuck in a Moment". Edge holds his own because he knows how to use his playing - the full chords. Actually he may have been in some open tuning. And Bono with no security blanket, no reverb or lights, belts it out. I thought it was pretty good.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: January 16, 2017 11:24

One more show in Paris.
Stade de France, Paris
July 25 & 26

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 11:34 by powerage78.

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: January 16, 2017 13:06

Also London Sunday 09.07. / Rom 16.7. / Amsterdam 30.07.
For London is then the question : Tom Petty Hyde Park or U2 Twickenhamconfused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 13:11 by Mirko.

Date: January 16, 2017 13:13

The Edge sounds good here.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2017 18:06

Hairball
sundevil

Autotuned vocals and guitar gimmickry...no thanks.

Bunk. U2 doesn't use autotune.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2017 18:09

Pecman
GasLightStreet
Pecman
I stand by my statement.

The amount of effects on the stage at his feet and on top of his amp is ridiculous.

Pecman

Obviously you're not familiar with U2's catalogue since you say something so ignorant like that. Sounds like the ranting of a failed musician that's beyond jealous.

GasLightStreet,

I don't have a jealous bone in my body..jealousy leads to misery...I'll have none of that. But what I don't like...is people saying the Edge is a great guitar player when he is not...he is a guitar effects expert...which inmy opinion makes him have a disconnect with the human listener...what he's playing is coming from technology and not from his heart and soul. That's where I've think they lost their way over the last 13 years.

P.S. I am familiar with the U-2 catalog...I have every album....even the crapy ones over the last decade.

Pecman

Your opinion is stupid - and it's wrong. He is a great guitar player. But since he's not the kind of guitar player you like you think he sucks or can't play etc. There are a lot bands artists etc that I don't like but that doesn't mean as musicians they suck.

Your opinion is a floundered one. He's played plenty of tunes without effects. You have every album - obviously you haven't listened to them.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 16, 2017 18:26

Wanted to get a budget ticket as they are not my favorite band, the one I managed to get was over 100 a bit too much. They have added another date so will try againsmoking smiley

Date: January 16, 2017 18:27

GasLightStreet
Pecman
GasLightStreet
Pecman
I stand by my statement.

Pecman

GasLightStreet,

Pecman

Your opinion is stupid - and it's wrong. He is a great guitar player. But since he's not the kind of guitar player you like you think he sucks or can't play etc. There are a lot bands artists etc that I don't like but that doesn't mean as musicians they suck.

Your opinion is a floundered one. He's played plenty of tunes without effects. You have every album - obviously you haven't listened to them.

I love the Stones and have seen them many many times and can never ever get enough. They are by far my favorite band. But if I was putting an all star band together I would easily pick the edge over keith every time.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 16, 2017 18:35

Obviously Keith not at his peak now ( understatement ) but would you pick the edge over Keith at his peak ? The problem with living and continuing to play after you've had serious alcohol abuse, a serious head injury and arthritis one forgets what a player was like at his best.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 16, 2017 18:44

EJM
Obviously Keith not at his peak now ( understatement ) but would you pick the edge over Keith at his peak ? The problem with living and continuing to play after you've had serious alcohol abuse, a serious head injury and arthritis one forgets what a player was like at his best.
They're simply too different to compare directly.

I'm a bigger Stones fan than I am a U2 fan, so obviously I'd more often than not prefer listening to peak-Keith, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what the Edge does, and continues to do, at a very high level.

And of course there less frequent times when I'm in the mood to actively WANT to listen to U2, not the Stones and not anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 18:45 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2017 19:02

I wonder how many kids have learned to play the guitar by 'jamming' along with recordings from U2 and the Edge?
I supposed they'd first need a room full of special effects which probably limit's the number close to zero.
Take away all the effects, and you have a few simple chords and strumming techniques.
I like the unique sound of the first few of albums, but as a guitar player the Edge would land nowhere on my list of greats.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: January 16, 2017 21:31

going to brussels.. anyone want to swap my u2-ticket for your stones-ticket? smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 17, 2017 04:44

Edge is good to what he does, but he is no Clapton, Page, Beck, Keith, Berry, King ....

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 17, 2017 05:19

well to be fair there's worse things to be than Chuck Berry of the internet age.

this is a Christian band though, right?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 17, 2017 05:30

EJM

not to mention other assorted "entertainments"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 17, 2017 05:32

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
Looking at tickets for the Vancouver show, tickets go on sale to the public on Monday. There is a map of BC Place which shows available tickets. The concert is already almost sold out due to presales of fan club members, etc. There are probably not even 1000 tickets left out of approximately 50,000.
A news report said ticket re-sale sites are already advertising tickets for re-sale! Monday the remaining tickets will be gone in just seconds. I was planning on trying to get tickets but I'm not even going to bother.

do you think they may play Prospera Centre while they're here?

They can hit Langley Event Centre, Abbotsford Event Centre then Prospera in Chilliwack! I'm sure they'll be doing the tour rehearsals at the Coliseum like last time.
I hope they play Hope too...they deserve it.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 17, 2017 08:21

U2 are sentimental favorites. They're the band that everybody remembers from some time or another. Their sound is unique because of the rhythm section, too, don't forget those other two guys. They're cool. They're U2. I like them. However, because I'm on the internet, I'd just like to add: probably the old 80s people remember their lyrics as not-being greeting card slogans set to music. That's a direct swipe at Bono. Signed, #1 P.S. Edit: But that doesn't mean you still can't write a good album. I know you can do it, U2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-17 08:29 by Socrates1.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 17, 2017 09:58

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
Looking at tickets for the Vancouver show, tickets go on sale to the public on Monday. There is a map of BC Place which shows available tickets. The concert is already almost sold out due to presales of fan club members, etc. There are probably not even 1000 tickets left out of approximately 50,000.
A news report said ticket re-sale sites are already advertising tickets for re-sale! Monday the remaining tickets will be gone in just seconds. I was planning on trying to get tickets but I'm not even going to bother.

do you think they may play Prospera Centre while they're here?

They can hit Langley Event Centre, Abbotsford Event Centre then Prospera in Chilliwack! I'm sure they'll be doing the tour rehearsals at the Coliseum like last time.
I hope they play Hope too...they deserve it.

My Hometown!!! We definitely deserve it!

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 17, 2017 11:58

Wow, all Euro shows except Barcelona sold out within hours. Already 4 additional dates. Didn't expect that so soon after the Fall tour 2015. What would happen if the Stones would announce a (real) Sticky Fingers or Beggars Banquet tour?

Date: January 17, 2017 12:29

In many ways The Edge is great the same way Keith is great, imo. It's the sounds he's making, the riffs, how he affects the song and last but not least how he uses his instrument to write songs.

And he doesn't need effects to do that. He's a curious and exploring guitarist, though, so no wonder he has tried out and implemented effects etc into his playing.

I'm not a big fan, but I recognise a great guitar player when I see one smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-17 12:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home