Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 9, 2017 18:37

leteyer
grzegorz67
Sat Jul 8 London UK Twickenham Stadium
Wed Jul 12 Berlin DE Olympic Stadium
Sat Jul 15 Rome IT Olympic Stadium
Tue Jul 18 Barcelona ES Olympic Stadium
Sat Jul 22 Dublin IE Croke Park
Tue Jul 25 Paris FR Stade De France
Sat Jul 29 Amsterdam NL Amsterdam Arena
Tue Aug 1 Brussels BE Stade Roi-Baudoin

Times 2

Berlin again? Only 1 1/2 years after four arena shows there this is pretty surprising. Don't think there will be two shows, maybe in London, Paris. And there will be more shows probably. An eight gigs tour makes no sense.

Date: January 9, 2017 18:41

man....will get me down if I do the Dallas Show and after I get tickets and do that they announce a Desert Trip stop

what to do!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 9, 2017 18:41

Most likely leaving some gaps in case demand is high in Europe. Big album. It may expand. Plus they have a new LP coming out so who knows, they may do 2 tours this year.

Then again, it may be smart to not over do it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 9, 2017 18:47

GasLightStreet
Most likely leaving some gaps in case demand is high in Europe. Big album. It may expand. Plus they have a new LP coming out so who knows, they may do 2 tours this year.

Smart, but no way it doesn't grow and I do think unless they want to be out all year they'll probably not tour twice this year. Here's the thing with U2: its a lose-lose. Either they just do this tour this year and people say "so now you're just an oldies act jumping on the nostalgia train" or they put out a new album and do a second tour this year to please nostalgics and fans that want new music and people say "look at U2, hammering us over the head all god damn year. Go away you spotlight hoggers."

Date: January 9, 2017 19:07

RollingFreak
GasLightStreet

Smart, but no way it doesn't grow and I do think unless they want to be out all year they'll probably not tour twice this year. Here's the thing with U2: its a lose-lose. Either they just do this tour this year and people say "so now you're just an oldies act jumping on the nostalgia train" or they put out a new album and do a second tour this year to please nostalgics and fans that want new music and people say "look at U2, hammering us over the head all god damn year. Go away you spotlight hoggers."

No chance they release a new album before the JTT IMHO. Probably not before late 2017/ early 2018.

Date: January 9, 2017 19:11

Of course some people will say one or the other! But so what... the Stones have been milking HOT ROCKS for years now.

U2'll do the JOSHUA TREE tour and then it very well may be INNOCENCE + EXPERIENCE 2 after.

I like what Edge has to say about albums:

A digital file is … Look, convenience is wonderful. If I'm being honest, I still have my vinyl collection, but I use digital files 90 percent of the time. But I would never give up my vinyl. And so there's a need for both, and I find that kind of reassuring that in the midst of convenience being king, there's still this deep, emotional connection that people have with the body of work that is an album.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: January 9, 2017 19:12

Monsoon Ragoon
RollingFreak
GasLightStreet

No chance they release a new album before the JTT IMHO. Probably not before late 2017/ early 2018.
Oh no, and didn't mean to imply that. I believe everyone in U2land has agreed the expected timeline of the year is this Joshua Tree tour, then a new album, then a tour for that new album. This tour till August, new album in September or October, tour starts either immediately or in November or December (or announced before the end of the year). I could easily see those two new things being postponed, because just knowing U2 and the public, they always like less from them, not more.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 9, 2017 19:36

Prices for Barcelona:

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 9, 2017 19:37

I heard "Even Better Than the Real Thing" on the radio the other day for the first time in eons, and was surprised that I actually enjoyed it!

Date: January 9, 2017 19:42

Monsoon Ragoon
leteyer
grzegorz67

Times 2

Berlin again? Only 1 1/2 years after four arena shows there this is pretty surprising. Don't think there will be two shows, maybe in London, Paris. And there will be more shows probably. An eight gigs tour makes no sense.

They should play Erfurt. Damn. smiling bouncing smiley

Date: January 9, 2017 20:00

They had Red Hill Mining Town set up for the first single... yet they've never played it live.

A few bands have done the 'play the whole album' kind of tours in recent years. I think that's a great concept, because then you get to hear songs live that have never been played live before or you've never heard them play live before because of songs being added during tour legs and the tour had already come through your town (fortunately I was able to see the STEEL WHEELS tour when they had added a couple more songs). I saw The Cult do ELECTRIC in its entirety (sans the stupid cover song) a few years back and it was awesome!

It's really too bad the Stones didn't do STICKY FINGERS in its entirety for every show on that tour, whatever that one was, ZIP CODE or whatever.

Date: January 9, 2017 20:06

TooTough
Monsoon Ragoon
leteyer
grzegorz67

Times 2

They should play Erfurt. Damn. smiling bouncing smiley

Maybe in the 2020s ;-) Nothing against Berlin, U2 prefer big markets, but five shows within 19 months is very much. Hope the stadium is not half filled like in 1993. I had rather expected Munich or Hamburg or Hanover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-09 20:07 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: January 9, 2017 20:22

I try to get some tickets for the London show as I'll be in town for the weekend anyway with two of my friends. We have already tickets for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers at Hyde Park on Sunday. A U2 show on a Saturday isn't the worst option. What about a Stones show on Friday? :-)

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 9, 2017 20:36

GasLightStreet
They had Red Hill Mining Town set up for the first single... yet they've never played it live.

A few bands have done the 'play the whole album' kind of tours in recent years. I think that's a great concept, because then you get to hear songs live that have never been played live before or you've never heard them play live before because of songs being added during tour legs and the tour had already come through your town (fortunately I was able to see the STEEL WHEELS tour when they had added a couple more songs). I saw The Cult do ELECTRIC in its entirety (sans the stupid cover song) a few years back and it was awesome!

It's really too bad the Stones didn't do STICKY FINGERS in its entirety for every show on that tour, whatever that one was, ZIP CODE or whatever.
I've seen a few bands perform albums in their entirety:

Slayer - Reign in Blood (2003) and Seasons in the Abyss (2010)
Megadeth - Rust in Peace (2010)
Rush - Moving Pictures (2010)
Springsteen - The River (2016)
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death (2006)

For the first four, it was bands playing all-time classic albums that fans already knew, and it was pretty great.

Iron Maiden, on the other hand, decided to play their NEW album in its entirety, and fans were less than pleased, as it was all new material and not many people had time to digest it. It ended up being an exhausting show with only five "greatest hit" songs tacked on at the end.

I think it really depends on the band, the album in question, and the fanbase. To be honest, I'm not sure if it would work with the Stones. They don't challenge their fans, and so they always expect the greatest hits jukebox every time out, whereas Springsteen constantly throws curveballs to his fans, who in turn crave and want that challenge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-09 20:38 by keefriff99.

Date: January 9, 2017 20:57

keefriff99
Iron Maiden, on the other hand, decided to play their NEW album in its entirety, and fans were less than pleased, as it was all new material and not many people had time to digest it. It ended up being an exhausting show with only five "greatest hit" songs tacked on at the end.

I think it really depends on the band, the album in question, and the fanbase. To be honest, I'm not sure if it would work with the Stones. They don't challenge their fans, and so they always expect the greatest hits jukebox every time out, whereas Springsteen constantly throws curveballs to his fans, who in turn crave and want that challenge.

That's interesting. Look at what the Stones did in 1978 - practically played all of SOME GIRLS. U2 played most of ACHTUNG BABY on the ZOO TV tour.

It's weird how some fan bases are. If you really dig a band and they have a new album, of course it depends on if it's 1. great 2. good 3. decent in terms of how many they play from it. There's also the stance of the band on it. U2 were really behind ACHTUNG. The Stones seemed to be behind STEEL WHEELS as the tour progressed but they've never achieved a live show new album tracks played status that they did in 1978. They essentially wound up ignoring A BIGGER BANG as that tour went on. Clearly they thought it stunk.

How long it's been out and getting to know it may be a plus but personally I like hearing songs I may've not really dug initially and hearing them live can bring a new aspect to them, as some fans here have stated about Streets Of Love (which just blows my mind because it's such a bad song but whatever). I like the "challenge" of not hearing the stupid hits so much as gimme something cool.

The Stones playing HOT ROCKS + REWIND has gotten old - but so have they and that's where it's at now. Mick might of thought that it was boring playing all of STICKY FINGERS or probably more likely he thought the fans thought it was boring. The dude is hard headed when it comes to understanding things fans would like to hear instead of going by some formula of what's popular that is ridiculous. Emotional Rescue is a popular song - yet they played it a handful of times live in 2013 or whenever. But they'll play Miss You for 300 minutes every night.

I don't get it. Why not give some other songs a chance?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 9, 2017 21:29

Mick seems almost apologetic when playing new material, which is sad. If that's his default posture going into a new song, how does he think the audience is going to respond? If he gives off an uncertain, unenthusiastic vibe about his own new material, the audience is undoubtedly going to pick up on that and give a lukewarm response. It's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of bands play new material with confidence and ferocity, and they have the audience eating out of the palms of their hands by the end of the song, even if the crowd didn't know it going in.

I think Out Of Control is the best example of this occurring with the Stones post-Steel Wheels. It REALLY got over with the fans on the B2B tour. The end of the song where Keith jammed on that main heavy riff and Mick danced his ass off was a really great moment. It killed with the audiences even if they may have gone into it thinking "Okay, sure they've gotta play some new songs simply 'cuz it's an album tour, but let's get to Brown Sugar or Jumpin' Jack Flash".

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 9, 2017 21:56

GasLightStreet
The dude is hard headed when it comes to understanding things fans would like to hear instead of going by some formula of what's popular that is ridiculous.

I don't get it. Why not give some other songs a chance?

From the Rolling Stone interview (thank you for the link!), The Edge's response on the very subject...

I think the two songs the fans are most dying to hear are "Acrobat" and "Drowning Man." They've never been done live. Is there a chance they'll finally be done?
That's very interesting. I didn't know that fans were interested in "Drowning Man." I mean "Acrobat," for sure, I guess. It was one of those kind of more dramatic pieces from Achtung Baby. But that's interesting. I'll take note of that. We always want to listen to our fans because in our experience, music fans are seldom wrong. There's something to what they say, so I'll take note of that. I'm not saying we'll definitely do it, but we're at this wonderful situation where we've got a blank canvas.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 9, 2017 22:13

Tour starts in Vancouver May 12 at BC Place so I'm assuming they'll be doing rehearsals locally, too. They started a previous tour here, too.
All the floor is general admission, which is rare to see for concerts here. I'll try to get tickets but I'm sure they'll sell out quickly.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 9, 2017 22:27

Well said GasLightStreet. But by now I guess it's too late to hear The Stones play deep cuts in concert. Sometimes it's hard understanding why something that could have been great was overlooked or intentionally avoided. Oh well.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 9, 2017 23:21

TooTough
Prices for Barcelona:

Where? Any link?
I think all shows will be sold out immidietely.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 10, 2017 00:36

That was easy. Just won 2 tickets for the Rose Bowl show via KLOS.

Date: January 10, 2017 03:32

Jah Paul: Thats an encouraging quote, but it also sounds like pure BS press talk when there's really no intention of that at all. U2 is actually a band that I think does know what fans want to hear (cause they pull out rare stuff every tour) so I think he's pretending here. But thats the cynic in me.

Keefriff99: I agree to an extent. You've definitely gotta be into it and maybe your crowd will be into it. In the end, I don't have faith in the audiences, but you never know with them. Hey, No Security was an album I didn't hear for years cause I was like "I don't know half of those songs. Not interested." When I finally did it was OK, but Out Of Control blew me away. Had never heard it and loved it. So when you finally get that open mind, its great. I'm not sure if everyone is as accepting though. I'm a hardcore fan and was hesitant. Imagine the casual fan? But I just said to someone recently "there are bands I've seen that play rare songs that I never would have sought out on my own and I'm better off that they played it." It encourages me to seek it out, so it does make a difference.

Gaslight Street: Well said, although I think it also comes with most of these bands ages. There's a time when they stop caring. Or more importantly fans are done with their new material. For the Stones it was Steel Wheels. For Springsteen, it was Tunnel Of Love. For U2, it was arguably Achtung Baby. I think there's just a point with these bands where fans are like "we've got enough, you can just keep playing these." Its weird. Its usually when the band members hit 50 years old or so and it seems they start phoning it in and losing interest. Bad example, and I'm not a fan, but I just heard a Scorpions songs today from like 5 years ago. Its a great rock song, a really good enduring hit. But its 2016. No one goes to see them and wants to hear something new, even if its really good. Its just the nature of the game, but it seems once the band's golden period ends, fans stop wanting to hear new songs.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: January 10, 2017 04:07

Will be attending the Metlife NJ show, for sure. I saw the 1987 tour at Izod ( or whatever its name was back then ) and it was fantastic.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 10, 2017 05:07

Is it almost an inextricable-thing that Joshua Tree was so good? What was that album? It was so long ago, before people started asking this question..

That's what I think happened to U2: People expected too much of them.

Edit: Is this still the complain about U2 thread? I guess the threads were merged. U2 can still write another incredibly great album. I know they can. Okay U2, go off and write another great one. Get Lanois involved again if he's not too busy. Thanks in advance. Signed, Top 10 Douchebag on the internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 05:11 by Socrates1.

Date: January 10, 2017 18:17

from u2tour.de, a well informed site:

"Voraussichtliche Ticketpreise in Berlin:
Stehplatz: 86,70 €
Sitzplatz Kat 1: 207,40 €
Sitzplatz Kat 2: 121,20 €
Sitzplatz Kat 3: 86,70 €
Sitzplatz Kat 4: 46,40 €
Aufschlag Collector Ticket: 4,95 €
Hot Ticket Gold: 341 €
Hot Ticket Silver: 236 €
VIP Party Ticket: 505 €"

Date: January 10, 2017 18:24

MAF
TooTough
Prices for Barcelona:

Where? Any link?
I think all shows will be sold out immidietely.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 10, 2017 18:44

DeanGoodman
That was easy. Just won 2 tickets for the Rose Bowl show via KLOS.

Congratulations!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 10, 2017 20:03

I saw U2 GA (close up) at the Forum in 2015, and I also saw them at the Rose Bowl several years back. Playing the Rose Bowl again, I think I'll pass.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 11, 2017 01:08

Less than 9 hours till pre-sale.

Layout Berlin

What's that "red zone"?

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 11, 2017 06:27

The fact is...If the Edge took the stage with an electric guitar, a cable and an amp...he wouldn't be able to play most of his songs without all those effects which started from day one with "I Will Follow"...on Keith's side of the street...there would be no issue...that's why U-2 is always chasing The Stones.

I do believe U-2 are good song writers and have unnecessarily have relied on effects and technology to write songs instead of writing songs with acoustic guitars and pianos and adding effects after the songs have been written.

Pecman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-11 06:28 by Pecman.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home