Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 28
Re: OT: U2
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 13, 2017 10:57

MAF
Any information about the stage design?

Can they top the amazing crab from the 360 tour?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 13, 2017 11:07

MAF

edge said in interview not quite as elaborate. i got a pair of tix for seattle yesterday. the map shows big stage at end of stadium with another big stage about halfway back in the crowd. tickets are on the spendy side btw. i didn't want to blow out the budget but did ok. front of the upper deck, won't have to stand for the show. a little under $200 for the pair. spent double that for roger waters in a smaller venue but am very close to stage for that one.

Date: January 13, 2017 11:18

crholmstrom
MAF

edge said in interview not quite as elaborate.

Maybe a little more "back to basics" and in keeping the with the very minimal stage design on the original JT tour?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 13, 2017 12:18

minimal stage effects, maximum special tech effects from Edge, with keyboard
player locked in the basement.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 13, 2017 16:42

MAF

From Edge's Rolling Stone interview:

What's the stage going to be like at these Joshua Tree shows? Will it be like the original one in 1987 at all?

"I don't think we want to be too slavish, but at the same time we want to acknowledge sort of the aesthetic ideas that went with the record. I don't think we're going to go overboard in reinventing the wheel, but we'll definitely take those aesthetic ideas and kind of update them somewhat. This is The Joshua Tree 2017. It's not The Joshua Tree 1986."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2017 17:40

RollingFreak
Jah Paul: Thats an encouraging quote, but it also sounds like pure BS press talk when there's really no intention of that at all.

Perhaps the journalist is a fan...

Date: January 13, 2017 17:55

bitusa2012
GasLightStreet

Yes. I understand your point about DIRTY WORK and the lunacy of that but R&H is disturbingly bad. It was probably more of a move from Island Records than U2. It's just a weird album. It's as if they caught the beginning of the headache of a hangover from being drunk on the JOSHUA TREE tour (similar to how the movie was perceived) and didn't deal with it. Besides, it's not like it's a full on studio album (it's too bad it wasn't).

Maybe part of why I don't like it so much is because it's "the soundtrack" to the movie which is just - there's very little about the movie that's good.

POP has some really good tunes on it - Gone, Last Night On Earth, Playboy Mansion, Miami, Staring At The Sun, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Do You Feel Loved, Please.

Are they great? Gone is the one great track on POP. So no. But that's how much I dislike R&H (this is about the equivalent of me praising TSMR over DW).

POP has some really bad tracks on it too: Discotheque is just painful (the B-side was a thousand times better) but If God Will Send His Angels is possibly the worst song U2 has ever done - or at least recorded and released. It is horrendous. Mofo is... I like it but I don't like it. The just-the-band version had more movement to it. Still wasn't very good though.

My recollection is that Keith and The Stones implored U2 to explore music, they did by listening to blues and gospel that, as 'young punks' they had never truly heard before.

THAT exploration led to R&H - it's U2's homage to "the roots of modern music" that The Stones got them to explore.

Great, if unusual, album, better than most they put out nowdays - but at LEAST they put out new material.

With BB King telling Bono that he's "mighty young to write such heavy lyrics" with When Love Comes To Town? I think he was just being friendly.

It's great that U2 explored that - they just did a rather stumbling way of presenting it. It came off as a bit posh. "Oh look at us, we're in Memphis and now we have the blues" kind of thing.

It's that attitude that drove them to blow up that identity and change for ACHTUNG BABY and ZOO TV. Bono's quote about The Fly sums it all up: "The sound of four men chopping down The Joshua Tree."

Date: January 13, 2017 17:57

Pecman
I stand by my statement.

The Edge is a magician...not a guitar player.
The amount of effects on the stage at his feet and on top of his amp is ridiculous.

Johnny Ramone and Steve Jones blow him away
because they played from the heart and their fingers...
The Edge plays through technology...a big difference.

Any great song can be played on acoustic guitar or piano...

You can't say that for most U-2 songs.

Pecman

Obviously you're not familiar with U2's catalogue since you say something so ignorant like that. Sounds like the ranting of a failed musician that's beyond jealous.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 13, 2017 19:02

MAF

It´s just a tree.

Date: January 13, 2017 19:11

GasLightStreet
Pecman
I stand by my statement.

The Edge is a magician...not a guitar player.
The amount of effects on the stage at his feet and on top of his amp is ridiculous.

Johnny Ramone and Steve Jones blow him away
because they played from the heart and their fingers...
The Edge plays through technology...a big difference.

Any great song can be played on acoustic guitar or piano...

You can't say that for most U-2 songs.

Pecman

Obviously you're not familiar with U2's catalogue since you say something so ignorant like that. Sounds like the ranting of a failed musician that's beyond jealous.

The Edge owns the guitar. He makes it talk with his fingers and technology.

U2 has some very heavy shit. And Edge has song after song with GREAT guitar licks.

One of a kind he is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-13 19:13 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 13, 2017 19:50

The Edge is one of the rare guitar players that only has to play one note and you know it's him.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 13, 2017 20:10

Koen
The Edge is one of the rare guitar players that only has to play one note and you know it's him.

Yes, like all guitar players from the 70s

Date: January 13, 2017 20:38

The Electric Co.

Date: January 13, 2017 20:42

U2 Super Bowl Half Time Show

WOWSA

Date: January 13, 2017 21:20

"Oh look at us, we're in Muscle Shoals being all black and authentic and now we've got the blues and it's being filmed and put in rambling documentary by an arty film maker". You can't blame U2. They were just taking their cues from the previous generation of pampered rock stars.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 22:25

Boring band, in spite of the fact they have Jesus in their band

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 23:06

I bought tickets. Loved their live shows/music up to Pop Mart tour.

Saw the 'Crab Stage' tour and it was awful. I can't remember the setlist but I found it boring.

I'm giving them another chance but can you go wrong with the Joshua Tree album ? I think no.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 23:14

Looking at tickets for the Vancouver show, tickets go on sale to the public on Monday. There is a map of BC Place which shows available tickets. The concert is already almost sold out due to presales of fan club members, etc. There are probably not even 1000 tickets left out of approximately 50,000.
A news report said ticket re-sale sites are already advertising tickets for re-sale! Monday the remaining tickets will be gone in just seconds. I was planning on trying to get tickets but I'm not even going to bother.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 14, 2017 01:14

All their stuff has been a snooze fest since Zooropa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 14, 2017 01:23

DGA35
Looking at tickets for the Vancouver show, tickets go on sale to the public on Monday. There is a map of BC Place which shows available tickets. The concert is already almost sold out due to presales of fan club members, etc. There are probably not even 1000 tickets left out of approximately 50,000.
A news report said ticket re-sale sites are already advertising tickets for re-sale! Monday the remaining tickets will be gone in just seconds. I was planning on trying to get tickets but I'm not even going to bother.

do you think they may play Prospera Centre while they're here?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 14, 2017 01:35

treaclefingers
DGA35

do you think they may play Prospera Centre while they're here?

They can hit Langley Event Centre, Abbotsford Event Centre then Prospera in Chilliwack! I'm sure they'll be doing the tour rehearsals at the Coliseum like last time.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: January 14, 2017 03:28

Edge's guitar playing is not really influenced by the blues. You will not hear many licks from within the traditional "blues boxes".

I love his stuff and the traditional blues licks of others as well.

As an example, the song "Vertigo". His solo is so incredible, just a bit of chopped off chords but so right on.

PS - The Superbowl Halftime show was goose bump powerful.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: January 14, 2017 03:31

guess i see them this summer.. but cant wait for some other band smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 14, 2017 04:43

Happy24

I liked what you said in your response to my opinion...
that's really a good point about the Mozart comparison.

I guess my point in all of this is The Edge doesn't compose a song and play the guitar from the soul and the fingers..he plays it through the mind and the experimentation of technology and the search for new and interesting sounds as opposed to plugging in and finding interesting chords and riffs.

Okay for the sake of peace...let's call The Edge one of the great modern guitar composers and technological geniuses...How's that for all you U-2 fans smiling smiley

Pecman

Date: January 14, 2017 04:50

Socrates1
The Edge has pretty much always played with a delay pedal, right? Their sound is based on airy-loops like that. Except for their first two albums, which sounded more like 80s punk and that band called The Alarm.

U2 probably started with their delay-pedal-sound on War, and then especially on Unforgettable Fire..is that about right?

So, U2's hallmark guitar-sound is one of electronic manipulation, except for their first two albums, Boy and October. It's been so long since I listened to U2....

It just seems like nowadays the band is completely computerized, as if all the digital effects are playing them, rather than the opposite being true.

Socrates1:

Exactly My Point!

If the computers went down...they would be completely lost on stage!

PECMAN

Date: January 14, 2017 05:00

Rattle & Hum had more hits on it than the Joshua Tree...but not as many big hits.

The problem with Rattle & Hum was people were burnt out by the over exposure and success of the Joshua Tree which was a monster release for a couple of years...With Rattle & Hum...the exploration of Americana seemed forced...like "hey...we are in this crowd now"...with the Hendrix and Dylan and Sun Studios and BB King and Elvis etc...

It really wasn't a good look in retrospect.

That's why Bono famously said from the stage on the last gig of the tour...
"Bye Bye...we have to go away and hide for a while"

And boy did they...and they reinvented themselves and killed it with Achtung Baby...I must admit. But ever since then...they seem to be always looking for
themselves..."Still haven't found what I'm looking for" truly applies to U-2 since Achtung Baby.

Pecman

Date: January 14, 2017 06:36

Pecman
Socrates1
The Edge has pretty much always played with a delay pedal, right? Their sound is based on airy-loops like that. Except for their first two albums, which sounded more like 80s punk and that band called The Alarm.

U2 probably started with their delay-pedal-sound on War, and then especially on Unforgettable Fire..is that about right?

So, U2's hallmark guitar-sound is one of electronic manipulation, except for their first two albums, Boy and October. It's been so long since I listened to U2....

It just seems like nowadays the band is completely computerized, as if all the digital effects are playing them, rather than the opposite being true.

Socrates1:

Exactly My Point!

If the computers went down...they would be completely lost on stage!

PECMAN

well they've done acoustic stuff on stage before so that's false

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 14, 2017 09:08

DGA35

on the 360 tour, there were lots of tickets available in Seattle day of the show. i got a pair for this one on the venue presale. decent, not stellar. prices seem higher than 360. another factor in seattle is its on mother's day. could keep some away.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 14, 2017 18:15

shadooby

Better than what the Stones have put out since then. Only album since Tattoo You I like from them is A Bigger Bang and thats the one everyone here hates.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 14, 2017 18:40

RollingFreak
shadooby

Better than what the Stones have put out since then. Only album since Tattoo You I like from them is A Bigger Bang and thats the one everyone here hates.

I think what we're losing sight of here, when we say that U2 has sucked ever since Achtung Baby or Zooropa, is that by 1993 the members of U2 were all around 32 or 33 years old. Most bands peak in their late 20s, and almost nobody ever makes a great record after the age of 35. For U2 to make a great album, even 20 years ago, would have been a remarkable achievement. To expect them to make an even halfway decent one now is, to say the least, unrealistic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 18:45 by tatters.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home