Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...450451452453454455456457458459460...LastNext
Current Page: 455 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 24, 2020 05:44

Hairball
Sounds like the words of a Keith hater to me...eye rolling smiley

...says one of the Top 3 Mick haters here...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 24, 2020 06:02

Doesn't sound like any kind of hater to me. Sounded like a reality based analysis.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 24, 2020 08:22

"...his voice turned into that of a strangled hoarse cat"

Uh yeah....very reality based and filled with kindness...jeez...

thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-24 08:26 by Hairball.

Date: July 24, 2020 10:47

Hairball
"...his voice turned into that of a strangled hoarse cat"

Uh yeah....very reality based and filled with kindness...jeez...

thumbs down

Every bit filled with kindness as the "the problem is that his voice is flat and needs backing harmonies. Having said that he pulled it off in the 60's, that studio voice was manufactured because he can't produce it live" - remark about Mick by your comrade stone4ever/Keithsman.

I think it's fair to say that Keith's main strength is not singing just as Mick's main strength is not guitar playing - does that sound better for you?

Date: July 24, 2020 11:22

peoplewitheyes
Haha DP! You surely know what I mean. Most of the 'recent' output (Mick-lead) Stones songs has been single tracked, up-front in the mix vocals.

Bring back those ragged harmonies and multi-tracked vocals, low in the mix. Such an important factor of the Stones sound that they seem to have completely forgotten about for the last 30 years.

Yep. And I agree totally.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: July 24, 2020 11:53

but we have had Auto tune for 10 years+?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 25, 2020 11:59

Disagree retired-dog, Keith's voice has got better over the years and his harmonies have always been great ( except for 81' 82' tour )
I think it's more a case of Mick not wanting to harmonise with Keith on more recent era Stones albums, and at live shows Mick has relieved Keith of his back up vocals , preferring Bernard and co to do most of the work, but when Keith has a chance he always shines on songs like Ruby Tuesday and Memory Motel.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: July 25, 2020 15:44

These anti Jaggers on these sites should have a page on their own.Where they can post all their antijaggers thing.Could reach 50000 posts very fast here

Date: July 26, 2020 02:22

stone4ever
Disagree retired-dog, Keith's voice has got better over the years and his harmonies have always been great ( except for 81' 82' tour )
I think it's more a case of Mick not wanting to harmonise with Keith on more recent era Stones albums, and at live shows Mick has relieved Keith of his back up vocals , preferring Bernard and co to do most of the work, but when Keith has a chance he always shines on songs like Ruby Tuesday and Memory Motel.

Ok, noted.

Give us more of these entertaining Mick not wanting, Mick in denial, Mick not letting, Mick not giving a chance, Mick supressing, Mick's voice being flat, Mick's studio voice being manufactured, Mick not being able to produce the songs live, Mick doing whatever (but always wrong) - fantasies.

Date: July 26, 2020 03:54

I never claimed anything about "kindness" and yeah he does kind of descend into howling cat territory on occasion. "Kind of", not to be confused with "kindness".

jb

Date: July 26, 2020 05:13

Kindness was inferred when you said "Doesn't sound like any kind of hater to me"
but clearly you don't know the history of some the interactions around here, and will leave it at that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-26 05:26 by Hairball.

Date: July 26, 2020 07:02

You are right about that. Thanks for the guidance.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 26, 2020 09:29

peoplewitheyes
Listening to Scarlet reminds me of those great old days when they piled on multiple ragged harmonies on almost every line, and put them all pretty low in the mix.

When did they decide that Mick J (x1) was the only singer in the band?

Wot? Who's "they"? Have you ever listened to UNDERCOVER or TATTOO YOU? Some albums had multiple band members singing, others were mostly Mick.

Date: July 26, 2020 09:32

ukcal

The Stones have never used Auto-tune.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 26, 2020 09:55

2 of the best vocals of Jagger and Richards singing together are unfortunately not avilable officially or only to be found on long out of print single. It's "Sway" (45") and "I Need You". I Need You is somewhat unique as neither of them are "backing" the other, they do a sentence here and there each.

Date: July 26, 2020 09:59

GasLightStreet
ukcal

Check out Moonlight Mile on Sticky Fingers Live and compare with a live YouTube video.

I don't know if it's auto tune, but it's definitely something that 'tuned' Mick's voice back in key.

Date: July 26, 2020 19:55

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
ukcal

Check out Moonlight Mile on Sticky Fingers Live and compare with a live YouTube video.

I don't know if it's auto tune, but it's definitely something that 'tuned' Mick's voice back in key.

Obviously, but what's the big deal if musicians correct flubs in live performances for official releases? Singers do that, guitar players do that, everybody else does it. It's not actually a new sensational discovery, isn't it?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 26, 2020 21:35

GasLightStreet
peoplewitheyes
Listening to Scarlet reminds me of those great old days when they piled on multiple ragged harmonies on almost every line, and put them all pretty low in the mix.

When did they decide that Mick J (x1) was the only singer in the band?

Wot? Who's "they"? Have you ever listened to UNDERCOVER or TATTOO YOU? Some albums had multiple band members singing, others were mostly Mick.

Yeah, the vocals on those 2 albums you mention are mostly great. I'm talking about more 'recent' output (I guess DW onward) where most of the tracks are Mick, mostly single tracked, with very little ragged harmony, and mixed too prominently in the mix.

What I mean is that the vox on many of the stones masterpieces (certainly from the 70s) have a kind of fuzzy, choral appeal, that sits deep in the music. Quite different from the releases of th late 80s and on.

(Obviously I'm not talking about KRs songs on the albums)

Date: July 26, 2020 23:27

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
ukcal

With Spotify at 1:59, "I am livin' under strange strange skies" he hits a bad note. It's in the video as well. I didn't hear anything else but I didn't hear anything funny either.

Date: July 27, 2020 01:27

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
ukcal

Obviously, but what's the big deal if musicians correct flubs in live performances for official releases? Singers do that, guitar players do that, everybody else does it. It's not actually a new sensational discovery, isn't it?

Not a big deal at all.

Date: July 27, 2020 01:28

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
ukcal

With Spotify at 1:59, "I am livin' under strange strange skies" he hits a bad note. It's in the video as well. I didn't hear anything else but I didn't hear anything funny either.

Check out an unofficial video smiling smiley

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 27, 2020 10:41

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
ukcal

Do you have a link?

Date: July 27, 2020 11:09

padre69
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
ukcal

Do you have a link?

Looks like the video is taken off YouTube...

Date: July 28, 2020 19:40

I'm getting more curious since LIAGT came out to hear that Midnight Rambler-esque song Mick played the harmonica to on Instagram.

As in a bit up about the new album now that it seems more realistic than the previous 20 years or however long it's been since A BIGGER BANG.

Date: July 29, 2020 17:04

It's all gearing up to the 60th Anniversary, folks. Change the subject to "late 2021" at the earliest, but most likely to "2022".

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 18:23

GasLightStreet
I'm getting more curious since LIAGT came out to hear that Midnight Rambler-esque song Mick played the harmonica to on Instagram.

As in a bit up about the new album now that it seems more realistic than the previous 20 years or however long it's been since A BIGGER BANG.

I’m actually thinking the last new music we’ll ever get from The Stones is going to be Scarlet, at least some of it appears to have been recorded in 2020, and what an unfortunate let down that’ll be to have gone out on...

Rod

Date: July 29, 2020 18:34

All The Rage will also be released winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 29, 2020 18:55

Since the lockdown in March, they have completed and released three songs (with at least one more in the queue ), went viral with LIAGT & *YCAGWYW *zoom edition, put finishing touches on GHS deluxe issue featuring unheard tracks, demos, outtakes, live performances etc., have created misc merch and art both individually and collectively with proceeds going to charities, and much more.

A lot of their contemporaries and my favorite musicians have done much less.
I for one, very much appreciate it all! (And Counting)

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 19:14

DandelionPowderman
All The Rage will also be released winking smiley

Might NOT be worked on in 2020 though! Though you are probably correct, so that may be the song they go out on... and IF IT IS “Seen her Ass”, or whatever that song was, well that’s not such a great tune to go out on either.

Rod

Date: July 29, 2020 19:46

Aside from one new song (which was a very nice surprise), seems the regurgitation of the past will continue until the 60th anniversary.
Better than nothing I suppose, but some more new and original music would do the world some good.
As it stands, the only people who care about these reissues are mostly right here on this forum.

And a funny thing is, GHS was not too long ago maligned by many here as a weak link coming right after Exile, but now it's the latest, greatest thing since the invention of ice cream! I've always liked it since it was released, and am happy to have a Deluxe reissue, but the amount of praise and interest by many of the former critics here shows a sign of desperation for anything new - even if it's from a so-called "average" album from 47 years ago. Oh well, anything "new" (aka old/new) is better than nothing I suppose, but something that is actually brand new would do the band and the fans, and the world in general, some good.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...450451452453454455456457458459460...LastNext
Current Page: 455 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home