Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 704
Re: Rehearsals in London
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 8, 2017 21:59

It's true that there are a lot of vague promises of something 'different' before tours start, and then you find yourself bored out of your mind as Sympathy starts. Remember how everyone thought Mick Taylor would be all over the tour and then got one number to shine (the same song over and over mostly) and a pointless acoustic on Satisfaction? Or how it seemed we were going to get Sticky Fingers in it's entirety every night? We got it once, and only a few hundred people have seen it. Come on, we know what it is now. It's a Greatest Hits show, with Keith's guitar playing mostly hidden in a swirl of noise, while Ronnie does the heavy lifting. It's a conundrum. I'm sure it's great for those who've never seen them. Why anybody who has seen them, especially in the last few years, needs to see them again, is beyond me, but like I say about Dead fans, more power to you! Cheers!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 8, 2017 22:13

24FPS
It's true that there are a lot of vague promises of something 'different' before tours start, and then you find yourself bored out of your mind as Sympathy starts. Remember how everyone thought Mick Taylor would be all over the tour and then got one number to shine (the same song over and over mostly) and a pointless acoustic on Satisfaction? Or how it seemed we were going to get Sticky Fingers in it's entirety every night? We got it once, and only a few hundred people have seen it. Come on, we know what it is now. It's a Greatest Hits show, with Keith's guitar playing mostly hidden in a swirl of noise, while Ronnie does the heavy lifting. It's a conundrum. I'm sure it's great for those who've never seen them. Why anybody who has seen them, especially in the last few years, needs to see them again, is beyond me, but like I say about Dead fans, more power to you! Cheers!

There's a word for that phenomenon of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result ... but it escapes me at the moment ...

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 8, 2017 22:46

Relax, they're gonna play an extended version of Miss You and want to be sure they get it right.thumbs up I kid......................

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 8, 2017 22:57

If they do play new songs for the upcoming album, it would be unusual to present new material ahead of a release -- something the audience hasn't yet had a chance to warm to is likely to fall flat.

If they do release the new album for the tour, it will be the first time in a long time a new release is played first for European audiences -- in the past they've always played it first to U.S. audiences and then Europe the following year.

But there's a Universal insider on the board who says the release would likely not happen until 2018. But then it has been said that in 2012 the Stones only had plans of touring until 2018.

For the European tour, probably just a track or two from B&L and everything else as expected.

To be honest, I don't think they'll play Boston again, which they last did in 2013, or have time for another extended run through the U.S. It took them 4 years to cover all their international markets, and in another 4 years their drummer will be 80.

All the best to European fans, who will most likely be seeing them for the last time...

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: June 8, 2017 22:57

june 15 : New album is finished ?

Next : 2 months holidays ?

August 15 : rehearsals for the tour ?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 9, 2017 01:53

35love
Oh and hey look:

They promised ‘unexpected tracks’ will be played and there will be some randomly selected surprises.’

During rehearsals or at the concerts?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 9, 2017 02:11

Monsoon Ragoon
The spectacular new tracks might be Out Of Control, Like A Rolling Stone and Mixed Emotions?!

You can't even quote a quote........spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: June 9, 2017 02:16

Recording in London combined with rehearsals, club gig in London prior to No Filter tour, release of album in time for Christmas and small UK tour in 2018, then adiós.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 02:30

Not gonna happen

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 9, 2017 07:32

chriseganstar
Recording in London combined with rehearsals, club gig in London prior to No Filter tour, release of album in time for Christmas and small UK tour in 2018, then adiós.

They're gonna play NYC one more time

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: June 9, 2017 09:37

Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
The spectacular new tracks might be Out Of Control, Like A Rolling Stone and Mixed Emotions?!

You can't even quote a quote........spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

?

Date: June 9, 2017 15:00

Kurt
As a reminder, from the tour press release:

"Not only will the Rolling Stones present their European fans with a set list of classics such as "Gimme Shelter," "Paint It Black," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Tumbling Dice," or "Brown Sugar"
- they also plan to surprise you with a number of new tracks and randomly selected surprises from their impressive oeuvre.
Their "STONES – NO FILTER" shows come with a spectacular new production and - as usual - a state-of-the-art stage."

Believe it!
Or not.

I believe.

As a reminder from page 1 of this thread :

" These days,in the Stones' world,that means ONE unexpected track,maybe two if we're lucky.

They were advertising (falsely) at least one song not previously performed in concert,or something along those lines,for the 2015 "Zip Code Tour",which did not end up happening. That was supposed to be in addition to what they lead people to believe was going to be a more diverse selection of songs from 'Sticky Fingers'.

Outside of the exclusive Fonda Theatre concert,they performed "Moonlight Mile" which was rare .... at roughly half of the concerts but,never again "I Got the Blues" at a concert open to the public, "You Gotta Move" only one more time, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" at only a few shows. Too many times the Sticky Fingers set was "Bitch" , "Wild Horses" , and "Brown Sugar" which was not much different from other tours since 2002.

I witnessed the Stones perform more songs from Sticky Fingers on the 2005 'Bigger Bang Tour' in North Carolina than I did in Buffalo on the 'Zip Code Tour' although "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" in Buffalo was better than I expected without Taylor. Maybe not as good as it was in Los Angeles,Philadelphia,or Glastonbury in 2013 but still pretty good. "

Just an example. It happens every new tour since at least the 2006 fall tour. This advertising seems like a planned move in an attempt to avoid losing ticket sales to Stones fans who have already seen them in the past.

They will perform a rare live song at the first concert of the tour and then slide into cruise control with songs they have already done multiple times since the turn of the century,reducing the set list by at least one song along the way.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: June 9, 2017 15:07

potus43
Not gonna happen

Coming from someone who said "Havana not going to happen" !!!

Satisfied since 1976

Date: June 9, 2017 17:12

I may understand they take the rust off a bit...but...a set of rehearsals...do they really need them? It is astonishing their discipline

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 9, 2017 17:36

emotionalbarbecue
I may understand they take the rust off a bit...but...a set of rehearsals...do they really need them? It is astonishing their discipline

They will be extra sharp this Fall no doubt thumbs up

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 10, 2017 10:54

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
They're rehearsing THREE MONTHS BEFORE THE FIRST DATE.

Those must be some complicated surprises!

That's how long it takes for Keith to re-learn JJF ans BS winking smiley

Maybe it's for the guy playing under the stage. eye popping smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 10, 2017 13:51

emotionalbarbecue

Sure they need to rehearse. Just like running. If you run 2-3 times per week then take a break of say 3 months then you need months to get back into the old shape. Same with the Stones. The longer they are apart without playing together the more rusty they are so they need to crank up and dust off the act ang get running smooth and great with a few weeks together. Recordings are just as good as rehearsals, and a club gig saves a week at least of rehearsals.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: June 10, 2017 21:34

Kurt
As a reminder, from the tour press release:

"Not only will the Rolling Stones present their European fans with a set list of classics such as "Gimme Shelter," "Paint It Black," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Tumbling Dice," or "Brown Sugar"
- they also plan to surprise you with a number of new tracks and randomly selected surprises from their impressive oeuvre.
Their "STONES – NO FILTER" shows come with a spectacular new production and - as usual - a state-of-the-art stage."

Believe it!
Or not.

I believe.

The Stones can still surprise us. . . .
Who expected "Come Together" at Desert Trip?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 11, 2017 00:07

The Sicilian
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

That's correct, you spotted him also, i think he's called Blondie.
People think he has left the band but he's still hiding under the stage playing all Keith's parts. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: June 11, 2017 00:17

jajajajajajajajajaja!!!!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 11, 2017 00:19

stone4ever
The Sicilian
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

People think he has left the band but he's still hiding under the stage playing all Keith's parts. eye rolling smiley

I wonder if during rehearsals they make him crouch down in a dark closet space to get him ready for the big moment! smiling smiley

Seriously though, has the mystery ever been solved as to why Blondie is no longer with them?
Personally, I wasn't much of a fan and don't think he was really necessary...maybe the Stones felt the same way?
He did sing back on Crosseyed Heart for a tune I think, so I assume he's still friends with Keith!

Date: June 11, 2017 00:25

Hairball
stone4ever
The Sicilian
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

I wonder if during rehearsals they make him crouch down in a dark closet space to get him ready for the big moment! smiling smiley

Seriously though, has the mystery ever been solved as to why Blondie is no longer with them?
Personally, I wasn't much of a fan and don't think he was really necessary...maybe the Stones felt the same way?
He did sing back on Crosseyed Heart for a tune I think, so I assume he's still friends with Keith!

He was Keith's guy, Keith's guys get thinner and thinner on the ground, Brenda gets jealous i think. Could be wrong of course.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 11, 2017 01:50

Hairball
That was part of the pruning of their stage act for the 2012 shows and the subsequent tours, which was at Charlie's insistence. It was nothing personal.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 11, 2017 01:52

"He (Blondie Chaplin) did sing back on Crosseyed Heart for a tune I think, so I assume he's still friends with Keith"!

Recording and finishing Crosseyed Heart took a lot of years.

Glad Captain Sparrow (what's his real name? can't remember right now, I am listening to the NEW Chuck Berry album) was not invited for a guestspot at the time.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 11, 2017 02:03

24FPS

Good points overall...as to the bolded, well, yes on paper it makes no sense but the more it goes and the more extraordinary it feels that you're still able to catch them live, that's part of the "experience"...and to be honest, in spite of all their current technical limitations, especially Keith's, the show is always great when you're there. Can't think of too many people here who've said they were disappointed after seeing one of their shows?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 11, 2017 04:46

gotdablouse
24FPS

Good points overall...as to the bolded, well, yes on paper it makes no sense but the more it goes and the more extraordinary it feels that you're still able to catch them live, that's part of the "experience"...and to be honest, in spite of all their current technical limitations, especially Keith's, the show is always great when you're there. Can't think of too many people here who've said they were disappointed after seeing one of their shows?

24PS has a point, and not that it makes a difference really, but Mick Taylor played on four tunes at the second Staples Center show (May 20, 2013)- Sway, CYMK, Rambler, and Satisfaction - and overall it was a pretty good setlist. As little stage presence he was afforded that tour, he was no doubt the highlight, and that Staples show was one of the best I've seen from the Stones.

As for your last point gotdablouse, you'd be surprised how many leave feeling disappointed - just read some of the reviews in the main tour section - not all are glowing. As for me personally, the only time I felt slightly disappointed was at the last Vegas show. It was a short setlist, Mick was still sick from the Desert and hardly could give it his all, and the overall atmosphere of the show was clouded by the previous show's cancellation - many people who had tickets for that were still fuming. The only true saving grace for me was Midnight Rambler, the live version of Ride 'em on Down, and the fact I paid a fraction of the price of a face value ticket the day before the show via stubhub - so I really can't say it was disappointing. Might be better to ask some who paid the full $800 face value for the abbreviated show how they feel. Sure most will admit to liking it, but deep down they probably felt a little sting. After paying apprx. $45 per song with a weak and sick Mick, can't help but to understand their disappointment.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 11, 2017 15:07

Hairball
gotdablouse
24FPS

24PS has a point, and not that it makes a difference really, but Mick Taylor played on four tunes at the second Staples Center show (May 20, 2013)- Sway, CYMK, Rambler, and Satisfaction - and overall it was a pretty good setlist. As little stage presence he was afforded that tour, he was no doubt the highlight, and that Staples show was one of the best I've seen from the Stones.

As for your last point gotdablouse, you'd be surprised how many leave feeling disappointed - just read some of the reviews in the main tour section - not all are glowing. As for me personally, the only time I felt slightly disappointed was at the last Vegas show. It was a short setlist, Mick was still sick from the Desert and hardly could give it his all, and the overall atmosphere of the show was clouded by the previous show's cancellation - many people who had tickets for that were still fuming. The only true saving grace for me was Midnight Rambler, the live version of Ride 'em on Down, and the fact I paid a fraction of the price of a face value ticket the day before the show via stubhub - so I really can't say it was disappointing. Might be better to ask some who paid the full $800 face value for the abbreviated show how they feel. Sure most will admit to liking it, but deep down they probably felt a little sting. After paying apprx. $45 per song with a weak and sick Mick, can't help but to understand their disappointment.

I paid more than full price for Las Vegas and that's the only part I was angry about. I foolishly bought through a broker who would not provide me with the exact seat/row, only the exact section and guess what? I was in the last row of that section. I thought they were absolutely phenomenal although due to Mick's recent illness, Keith picked several more songs. Mick played more harp than usual, which was an absolute joy for me. I was very hurt for those who had tickets for the first show. Heartbreaking for sure.

Date: June 11, 2017 15:33

When Don Was mentioned something different, I thought he was talking about BLUE & LONESOME, so I expect they may be rehearsing a few songs from that and we will hear those songs instead of the usual covers of Aint Too Proud to Beg or Just My Imagination, etc. That was my interpretation. I do think they will play at least one "new" song from B&L.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 11, 2017 16:56

Maybe they strung us far along enough and now they're willing to give us a little what we want? Just a thought. And to be honest I paid top price for the pit knowing it's the last time for me. Though I hope The Stones will carry on.

Date: June 11, 2017 17:28

RipThisBone
"He (Blondie Chaplin) did sing back on Crosseyed Heart for a tune I think, so I assume he's still friends with Keith"!

Recording and finishing Crosseyed Heart took a lot of years.

Glad Captain Sparrow (what's his real name? can't remember right now, I am listening to the NEW Chuck Berry album) was not invited for a guestspot at the time.

Yes Johnny Depp i think you are referring too.
He didn't get to play on the album , he was making a documentary about Keith ( with footage including Keith and the Wino's playing ) it failed to be released, possibly due to Johnny and Keith falling out. Keith countered with the Netflix documentary "Under The Influence" so all was not lost, although i hope one day these guys get to be friends again so i we can all see that interview and live footage Depp owns.

How's the new Chuck Berry album btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-11 17:29 by stone4ever.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2253
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home